Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

11 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Goztepe doing very well out of our new premier league finances. 

to be fair, its good that we have the ability to utilise Goztepe to help promising players get the points requirement to play in the UK.

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

3 players we've signed for them this window. Aren't they the biggest club in our Sports Republics portfolio? 🤔

• Haha 1

Sort of linked to Goztepe but Welington - on the total saints podcast last night Steve Grant was talking about highly regarded he was in Brazil.  Would love to know where he found that as seems precious little on him and what there is definitely isn't complimentary.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Danbert said:

Are we going to need an extra body in midfield if Charles is on his way? I'm hoping he is, he doesn't look Premier League material to me ATM.

Personally I'd be sorry to see Charles go permanently,  although a loan would be good for him. I think he'll develop into a genuine PL standard player. Only 19 isn't he?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

to be fair, its good that we have the ability to utilise Goztepe to help promising players get the points requirement to play in the UK.

The three players we've signed and loaned to them would be iffy signings for us in the Prem.

12 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

The three players we've signed and loaned to them would be iffy signings for us in the Prem.

but we're sensibly getting in low cost players to develop in the SR Group for a low outlay, not all of them may work out but some may.

Matsuki has shown promise.

Kuryu Matsuki (FC Tokyo) – Scout Report – Target Scouting

Left Back Football

Edited by Nolan

11 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

BBD having medical in Winchester today apparently. Wonder if it’ll be signed sealed and delivered today then?

Probably tomorrow or Thursday after they’ve farted about with photos and interviews etc

3 minutes ago, Nolan said:

but we're sensibly getting in low cost players to develop in the SR Group for a low outlay, not all of them may work out but some may.

Matsuki has shown promise.

Kuryu Matsuki (FC Tokyo) – Scout Report – Target Scouting

Left Back Football

Gostepe doing as well as possible also helps us because it makes the a more attractive proposition for any players we buy. Even if we sell some of these players for small amounts they could still make a profit and if they really develop then saints could even use them. 

1 hour ago, Danbert said:

Are we going to need an extra body in midfield if Charles is on his way? I'm hoping he is, he doesn't look Premier League material to me ATM.

We need one anyway as I can't see him getting much if any game time. He needs a loan and Scotland seems ideal for him. 

20 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Probably tomorrow or Thursday after they’ve farted about with photos and interviews etc

Could be introduced to Saints fans at Oxford tomorrow night. All sold out of away tickets but I’ve had an idea…anyone got a flatbed truck and a pile of pallets?

• Haha 6

On 28/07/2024 at 20:42, SNSUN said:

Double post, stupid hotel WIFI here in Ibiza. Nothing to do with AI Vodka.

Hope you are having a great time - i was out there for the Clockwork Orange do's 2 weekend ago - absolutely brilliant but took me a week to recover 

Clubbing House Music GIF by Vivid People DiscoRaving Night Club GIFInternet Rolling GIFLsd Rolling GIF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

I'm sure someone can enlighten me, but how is this sort of thing not considered bent? 

One club buying players and then immediately loaning them to the same team who otherwise wouldn't have the means to acquire them - isn't that seen as trying to circumnavigate FFP or whatever? Is there a limit to the number of times we're allowed to do it? 

7 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

I'm sure someone can enlighten me, but how is this sort of thing not considered bent? 

One club buying players and then immediately loaning them to the same team who otherwise wouldn't have the means to acquire them - isn't that seen as trying to circumnavigate FFP or whatever? Is there a limit to the number of times we're allowed to do it? 

No, it's like buying a player and loaning him to anyone - we own the player rights and I would presume that Goztepe are either paying some wages or none at all. I don't see why it really matters. It's been done for years and years by Chelsea and Man City etc through teams like Vitesse in the Dutch League. It's a good way to get playing time in a better league and develop players as well as gaining rights to play etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd be careful about proclaiming how good or otherwise our transfer dealings have been until they actually happen. 

Or until we actually see them play in the PL. 

Let's not forget how brilliant lots of people thought our transfers had been before we went down with a whimper. 

18 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Could be introduced to Saints fans at Oxford tomorrow night. All sold out of away tickets but I’ve had an idea…anyone got a flatbed truck and a pile of pallets?

And a bell 🔔

1 hour ago, Ken Tone said:

Personally I'd be sorry to see Charles go permanently,  although a loan would be good for him. I think he'll develop into a genuine PL standard player. Only 19 isn't he?

If we let Charles go, we'll need to replace him. His replacement will need to be good enough to fill in when needed (Downes injury record is questionable) but have an acceptance that all being well, they'll be on the bench for 90% of games. 

Better the devil you know imo. I'd keep Charles... 

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

If we let Charles go, we'll need to replace him. His replacement will need to be good enough to fill in when needed (Downes injury record is questionable) but have an acceptance that all being well, they'll be on the bench for 90% of games. 

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

if its part of a deal to bring in O'Riley let's do it

I think we've done some really good business. No gambles on 15m foreigners. A decent blend of experienced premier league players, YHGTIers and in Downes and the Stoke chillian we've got a couple of players who have had a taste of premier league football but something to prove. need to sort out the goalkeeping postions and depth in midfield but I think we might surprise a few teams next year. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I think we've done some really good business. No gambles on 15m foreigners. A decent blend of experienced premier league players, YHGTIers and in Downes and the Stoke chillian we've got a couple of players who have had a taste of premier league football but something to prove. need to sort out the goalkeeping postions and depth in midfield but I think we might surprise a few teams next year. 

Yeah, it's certainly been a different approach.

We've still signed players with potential, such as THB and Edwards, but have supplemented them well with the likes of Charlie/Lallana/BBD etc - bit of know how in those areas (although how much Lallana plays is up for debate).

Even look at pre-season and our fixture line-up, games against teams that make sense and slowly build up to the hardest tests etc - how we're approaching football things is making sense for a change, rather than it being solely focused on metrics, numbers, what we'll get for a re-sale etc etc - we're doing things based on footballing reasons in the here and now.

I still feel we are planning a big signing though - that's why we've been pretty clever on our additions up to now outlay wise.

• Like 3

Just now, Dman said:

Do we even need him? not sure we do...

We don't have a proper left winger at the club, so I'd say yes (I don't count Edozie because he can't cross the ball without falling over yet)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Turkish said:

yeah I like it. Feels a bit like the last time we were promoted when we had a great team dynamic and added to that buy signing top young championship players (Jay-rod and Clyne) with some real experience (Steven Davis). 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

We don't have a proper left winger at the club, so I'd say yes (I don't count Edozie because he can't cross the ball without falling over yet)

Well isn’t the left where Bereton-Diaz is likely to play given it’s his preferred position?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Nah......according to a few Eeyores on here, we are building a team for the Championship.........apparently.........

Edited by miserableoldgit

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, it's certainly been a different approach.

We've still signed players with potential, such as THB and Edwards, but have supplemented them well with the likes of Charlie/Lallana/BBD etc - bit of know how in those areas (although how much Lallana plays is up for debate).

Even look at pre-season and our fixture line-up, games against teams that make sense and slowly build up to the hardest tests etc - how we're approaching football things is making sense for a change, rather than it being solely focused on metrics, numbers, what we'll get for a re-sale etc etc - we're doing things based on footballing reasons in the here and now.

I still feel we are planning a big signing though - that's why we've been pretty clever on our additions up to now outlay wise.

I think Lallanas value will be more in the training pitch. That doesn't mean he won't have a part to play on match day but I think it was a very shrewd signing. Probably as much with a view to doing the coaching team in a year or two as sharing his immense PL experience with our developing youngsters. 

I can see why every player has been signed so far, this is exciting, we seem to be very clear in our targets. O'Riley (🤞🤞), an out and out striker (still wonder about Broja being worth a punt), another DCM (on the basis Charles does go) seems necessary, plus of course the most important signing, a GK. 

Great to have a really positive summer window!!!

6 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Might not be true. He seemed like a great bloke to me but he definitely liked to hit on women. Beattie the biggest wrongun though. 

Was he worse than alan pardew who left as he was all over a players wife. 

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I do like what we've done but I really feel like we need an O'Riley-type creative and the Ramsdale-type proven Goalkeeper to have much, if any chance of doing much next year to be honest.

A proven goalkeeper for me is the game changer. Someone who can organise the back four, command the area and make important saves to stop draws being defeats and wins being draws. Baz is shit at all that but good with his feet, all four would be nice, but 3 of the 4 are vital and it aint the one Baz is good at.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

Was he worse than alan pardew who left as he was all over a players wife. 

Do people still believe that rubbish?

Edited by Bad Wolf

I'm really interested in how we're going to play next season - if we're going 5 at the back this could be very interesting as we'll play the overlap from fullback and essentially play with 3 strikers (Arma off right, BBD off left and central striker).

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I do like what we've done but I really feel like we need an O'Riley-type creative and the Ramsdale-type proven Goalkeeper to have much, if any chance of doing much next year to be honest.

If we get O'Riley and Ramsdale I'll be getting a few boxes of Kleenex.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm happy with the business so far but let's not kid ourselves. 

Bazunu or McCarthy we desperately need a upgrade. 

Cover for Downes and no Shea Charles is not it! 

Central creative player Matt O'Riley could be the answer. But how much would we be prepared to spend ? Also unproven in the prem could be a gamble. 

Wingers we are weak on the left side this will need to be addressed. Could Jack Clark play here ? 

Striker wise Mara I don't rate,  

What's the deal with Ross Stewart? Don't think we are being told the full story.... Also unproven 

Adams has left,  Ballard more than likely out on loan...

More firepower will be required. 

So that's 5 players minimum to come in further....