Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

17 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

I don't think Charlie taylor is from premier league. 

As for my comment on the Bournemouth players I mean sq.uad fillers not quality. Evan Brooks played shite

Charlie Taylor was playing in the PL in 23/24,  21/22,  20/21, 19/20 - you get the drift. He's a premier league player and we signed him on a free transfer, from Burnley, who were playing in the PL last year.

Brooks was far from shite, certainly didn't live up to full expectations, but added quality to our front end without question. I'm really confused by your points, because on one hand you are bemoaning people wanting to get rid of Mara and Sulemana, yet on the other hand you call out Brooks as playing shite.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 10

34 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

At least Evans contributed, not sure if Moody did much.

Johnny 'head the post while scoring against West Ham' Evans?

He did well for us. Proper oldschool CF.

I was there that rainy midweek night away at Forest.

Edited by Suhari

5 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Mickey

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HKsaint said:

Good news. We have a striker at last. 

One that can play there for sure. If we play 4-3-3 there's a possibility he can play wide left, AA wide right and we still bring in another number 9. At the very least it gives us options. We've also been trailing BBD since his Blackburn days. 

Does he count as a double barrelled name? 😁

6 hours ago, Dellyears said:

You forgot the best of them all...Charlie Wayman

You are right but he was before my time - at least, before I began watching football.  From an even earlier decade, how about Ted Drake?

I think we have done this subject now; I hope we have a well-educated Wolf.

51 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Charlie Taylor was playing in the PL in 23/24,  21/22,  20/21, 19/20 - you get the drift. He's a premier league player and we signed him on a free transfer, from Burnley, who were playing in the PL last year.

Brooks was far from shite, certainly didn't live up to full expectations, but added quality to our front end without question. I'm really confused by your points, because on one hand you are bemoaning people wanting to get rid of Mara and Sulemana, yet on the other hand you call out Brooks as playing shite.

He would 90% of the time pick up the ball and instead of running into the box to get behind defenders would instead pass backwards and or sideways. 

So great Brooks was he was in our list of players we must sign I think not....

As I have said before it's an opinion not the dictatorship some on here want it to be

• Like 2

I have Mickey Evans in the same league as Johnno Quick Forte for what they did for us in their short spells. One scored the goals that helped keep us up and the other scored a couple of goals that turned a game that got us promoted. As for Ken Monkou he was a big favourite of mine. I spent a fortune of my parents money listening to the last ten minutes of "that" Norwich game dialling into Club call to listen to the commentary. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I have Mickey Evans in the same league as Johnno Quick Forte for what they did for us in their short spells. One scored the goals that helped keep us up and the other scored a couple of goals that turned a game that got us promoted. As for Ken Monkou he was a big favourite of mine. I spent a fortune of my parents money listening to the last ten minutes of "that" Norwich game dialling into Club call to listen to the commentary. 

It was on solent for free……..

• Haha 2

• Sheffield United targets Wolves' Ki-Jana Hoever and Southampton's James Bree to fill the void left by Jayden Bogle at right-back.
  • Southampton and Leicester City are keen on Liverpool sensation Ben Doak

Southampton and Leicester City are considering a move for Liverpool starlet Ben Doak this summer

• Jesurun Rak-Sakyi favours a move to Southampton over Leeds United this summer after the Saints made a move to sign him from Crystal Palace.

• Huddersfield Town are reportedly set to battle with Bolton Wanderers and Wycombe Wanderers to secure a loan deal for young Southampton forward Dom Ballard.

• Newcastle United are set to battle with Southampton, Ipswich and Atalanta to sign Birmingham City wonderkid Jordan James

• Sheffield United are keen on a move for Stuart Armstrong following his exit from Southampton, 

•  

Trabzonspor supremo Dogan has revealed the current state of play.“Southampton dropped from €15m to €10m for Onuachu. We increased to €7m”,

• report that Southampton failed with an initial £8.5 million bid but remain keen. The Saints may feel increasingly emboldened, meanwhile, as Camara turns his nose up at a £13.5 million move to an as-yet unnamed Saudi Arabian outfit.

Southampton will have to raise their bid considerably to get near that Saudi offer, though Metz may be forced to consider lower fees after suffering relegation to the second-tier.

Camara was one of the few bright sparks last term, alongside their Monaco-bound talisman Georges Mikautadze. The youngster opened his Ligue 1 account with a David Beckham-esque lob from his own half and already has six goals for the senior Senegal national team.

Some have suggested that Camara may be Senegal’s brightest young talent since Mane – the one-time Southampton star, lest we forget – exploded onto the scene.

• Like 5

BBD is good business. As others have said he stood out in a poor Sheff Utd side and seems to tick a lot of the boxes, the YouTube goals clips show clever off the ball movement, good physicality and quality finishes. Character also seems to be a positive too.

I am still on the fence on if we will stay up or not but it’s hard to argue with the business we have done in the window so far. Just all very sensible, it almost feels like we’re being run by grown ups!

Add in a no1 on loan, O’Riley and Camara and I think the general consensus will be a job well done. An extra striker seems to depend on Stewart and/or how we plan to line up. 

Hopefully we can start to clear the likes of ABK and tall Paul!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Are you confusing him with Dibling?

Ballard has done sod all in pre-season, was injured all of last year and needs proper mens football to see if he's any good.

Yes you’re right - long day!

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

He maybe a PL player but so is Jack Stephens and how many had heard of him before he joined us 

13 minutes ago, John B said:

He maybe a PL player but so is Jack Stephens and how many had heard of him before he joined us 

When Jack joined us we were in league 1 and he was around 17. Not exactly a valid comparison. 

"I raise you Colin Clarke, Iain Dowie, Kerry Dixon, Joe Jordan, Neil Shipperley ... I think at least some of those were no 9s."

It's gone a bit quiet on old Shippers over recent years.  Anyone know what he's been up to.....?

Edited by malcolm waldron
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, malcolm waldron said:

"I raise you Colin Clarke, Iain Dowie, Kerry Dixon, Joe Jordan, Neil Shipperley ... I think at least some of those were no 9s."

It's gone a bit quiet on old Shippers over recent years.  Anyone know what he's been up to.....?

Not sure any ‘raise’ should be got out of Neil Shipperley!!

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

🚨 Atalanta are in pole position to sign Matt O’Riley, despite having a third offer rejected – Celtic are asking for €20-25m including add-ons #saintsfc @MatteMoretto

If that is the fee they want and it includes add-ons then it should be pretty affordable for any PL team if they are really sure about him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UpweySaint said:

An extra striker seems to depend on Stewart

If we're basing our decision on whether or not to get in a new centre forward on Stewart's fitness levels between now and the end of the transfer window then I'd be worried about the lack of logic being applied. The harsh reality is that it would appear that we can't rely on Stewart sustaining fitness levels over a short period of time, let alone for the majority of the season. Not forgetting that he's an unknown quantity at PL level, of course.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dusic said:

If that is the fee they want and it includes add-ons then it should be pretty affordable for any PL team if they are really sure about him.

Does player want PL football or European football. Yes our league is better but we can’t offer European football and can’t see it anytime soon. Might just come down to that, even if we offered what Celtic want doesn’t mean he’ll come to us.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Yep, that's bottom end half decent player money these days. We need to get  bid in FFS.

1 hour ago, Pwoite said:

When Jack joined us we were in league 1 and he was around 17. Not exactly a valid comparison. 

I think you have missed the point I was trying to make

Although Charlie Taylor is a PL player he like Jack is probably not top class as I have never heard of him

I like Jack and I think he has been an asset to the club but in my opinion he has been a first choice CB

47 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Does player want PL football or European football. Yes our league is better but we can’t offer European football and can’t see it anytime soon. Might just come down to that, even if we offered what Celtic want doesn’t mean he’ll come to us.

I'm doubtful Atalanta can afford O'Riley.

Three rejected bids with an increase of only £0.7m from their second to third offer. (£14.3m - £15m +add ons)

£20m should be enough for Celtic to accept, which should be well within our capacities

If we REALLY do want O'Riley and he's that good for us, then I don't see why we've not made it happen yet given at least one other team seems interested. Some players are just "one on the list of suitable options" and some are more specific. If we don't get this done this week I doubt we will. 

• Like 1

O’Reilly is not the only offensive MF that Atalanta have been sniffing around. They are up v Milan for another one as well. 
Not sure Brendan fancies him but he does need to replace Reilly fast if he’s sold so there might be mileage in offering Charlie Alcaraz or KS to Celtic on loan as a sweetener plus £20M for Oreilly. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

O’Reilly is not the only offensive MF that Atalanta have been sniffing around. They are up v Milan for another one as well. 
Not sure Brendan fancies him but he does need to replace Reilly fast if he’s sold so there might be mileage in offering Charlie Alcaraz or KS to Celtic on loan as a sweetener plus £20M for Oreilly. 

Alcaraz would light that league up.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

He used to like a Saints player or two, so you never know

• Like 1

Celtic midfielder Matt O'Riley is willing to wait for Atalanta to increase their bid in preference to moving to Southampton despite offers so far falling far short of the Scottish champions' valuation of the 23-year-old. (Tuttomercato)

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Alcaraz would light that league up.

That would be the expectation.

It’s a nice pitch to Brendan.

Brendan can have £20m to spend on some quality players - as well as having replaced O’Reilly with a “ name” quality player in Charlie.

That might buy him time / placate with Celtic fans who I suspect would really warm to Charlie and his style of play.

Charlie himself gets to play CL and hopefully show he is a class act there as well as v  Scottish premier league players. He earns his saints place or a big transfer next year accordingly. Everybody wins. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarkSFC said:

If we REALLY do want O'Riley and he's that good for us, then I don't see why we've not made it happen yet given at least one other team seems interested. Some players are just "one on the list of suitable options" and some are more specific. If we don't get this done this week I doubt we will. 

Because Celtic hold the cards, this will go all the way to the end of the window! This could be our markee signing and these type of players are always done late on in the window due to other interest in a player that could play for a top club.

• Liverpool is said to be interested in Celtic playmaker Matt O'Reilly, who scored 19 goals and assisted another 18 in Scotland last season.

I hope RM is the deciding factor for Matt because he can have bigger clubs to pick from.

Edited by BERMUDASAINT

16 hours ago, Suhari said:

If you were you'd have missed the game where he scored two in the last 5 minutes as that was a saturday afternoon

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

If you were you'd have missed the game where he scored two in the last 5 minutes as that was a saturday afternoon

Ha. Could've sworn it was a midweek.

As the years go by my memory of matches is getting shocking. Saw a lot of away games up noorf when I was living in Manchester in the 90s.

To be fair though, that is like 15 years ago.

Oh....

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Indeed it was Grand National day. Although it was postponed due to a bomb threat. But so many games at Forest have been rainy, including the 1989 deluge in which Micky Adams got a red card. 

30 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

I quite like our strategy of picking up bargains by bringing in players who have performed well in poorly performing teams (Bereton Diaz, Lauriente, Clark etc.) means we probably get decent value for money whilst their stock is quite low. 

Now we have BBD in our team, can we tempt more Chillean players here? Can BBD encourage his fellow Chileans to come to the mighty Saints? Some really good values in South America, we have started looking there recently with Charlie and the 2 Sao Palo players.

Lets Chill with the Chileans 😎

Marcelino Nunez (Universidad Catolica, Chile, 22)

Dario Osorio is a Chile international at the age of just 20 and has been long tipped for big things. Moved to Danish Superliga team Midtjylland on a five-year deal last summer. In his first season in Europe, he has scored eight goals in 23 top flight games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Because Celtic hold the cards, this will go all the way to the end of the window! This could be our markee signing and these type of players are always done late on in the window due to other interest in a player that could play for a top club.

• Liverpool is said to be interested in Celtic playmaker Matt O'Reilly, who scored 19 goals and assisted another 18 in Scotland last season.

I hope RM is the deciding factor for Matt because he can have bigger clubs to pick from.

Not sure if Liverpool are interested or not, clubs like them are linked with hundreds of players, but if they are, his relationship with RM won't help. You don't turn Liverpool down for Saints.   

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Chez said:

Not sure if Liverpool are interested or not, clubs like them are linked with hundreds of players, but if they are, his relationship with RM won't help. You don't turn Liverpool down for Saints.   

I would 😉

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Appy said:

Camara off to Monaco according to Romano 

Doubt the cost decided it. The choice between Monaco and us---what chance did we have?
Let's hope the O'Reilly choice works in our favour