Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Totally agree with you, but that’s a total of five further signings. Seems a bit optimistic to be honest, especially if they are going to be players to improve us rather than just to bloat the squad. 

GK a critical signing in my view. 

Yeah I agree, 5 more sounds alot but it is needed. Some players will go, ABK, Lis, Sulemana maybe, and a few of the youngsters will no doubt go out on loan. Dibling should be in the squad, as should SAA. I also agree GK is critical. We've heard whispers that lots is going on so likely there will be a few more new players by the end of the window.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Yeah I agree, 5 more sounds alot but it is needed. Some players will go, ABK, Lis, Sulemana maybe, and a few of the youngsters will no doubt go out on loan. Dibling should be in the squad, as should SAA. I also agree GK is critical. We've heard whispers that lots is going on so likely there will be a few more new players by the end of the window.  

If we play the loan market well, it's only three permanent signings. That sounds doable. 

• Like 3

Agree, I expect we’ll sign five more. There’s enough rumours and positions being discussed at the moment to hit that mark, especially with the loan market given we’ve not used any loan slots yet

• Like 2

Brereton Diaz sounds like an excellent signing but I do worry about the language barrier and how a Chilean international will integrate into the British ways of doing things. Let's hope he picks things up quickly 🤞🙏

Edited by CB Fry
  • Haha 9

Just now, CB Fry said:

Brereton Diaz sounds like an excellent signing but I do worry about the language barrier and how a Chilean international will integrate into the British ways of doing things. Let's home he picks things up quickly 🤞🙏

He was born in Stoke

• Haha 8
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

£7m for BBD, or £15-20m for Delap… guess we’ll see next May who got the better deal.

And. its so obvious when you think about it. 

Has already played along side Adam Armstrong.

Has most played under Tony Mobray, brother of our head of recruitment, Darren. 

And as you rightly say, at what looks like a good price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stknowle said:

Agreed, solid gloveartist.

Whenever I've watched him he's reminded me of Maik Taylor, a proper solid unit of goalkeeper who does the essential things well.  Surprised that he's only played 29 times for Palace since joining them.  Clearly not currently on par with Ramsdale but sure he would improve us without destroying our bank balance, rather like BBD.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Brereton Diaz sounds like an excellent signing but I do worry about the language barrier and how a Chilean international will integrate into the British ways of doing things. Let's hope he picks things up quickly 🤞🙏

I can't quite work out if you are taking the piss or not!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I never thought newly promoted Forest would get Henderson on loan at that time, but they did and they stayed up.

Who knows, maybe someone like Ramsdale could be that signing for us this year.

Forest casually unveiling Keylor Navas was also a fairly spectacular loan signing. It shows it can be done. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Could someone tell me what a "number 9" actually is? I know it's a striker of sorts but I assumed it must be a particular style of striker or they'd have just said that?

Can a supporter of a club that had Ron Davis, Martin Chivers, George Kirby, James Beattie et al at centre forward, and more recently Pelle, really not know what a “number 9” is? 
🤔💡

• Haha 6

23 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Decent signing but if he's our first choice striker we could well be fucked

Tbf anyone that can score 6 goals in 14 games for an horrendous Sheffield United can’t be….shall we say….Mara level !!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Appy said:

Good signing, hopefully the language barrier won’t be an issue. 

Apparently he's learning Spanish so he can sing his country's national anthem!

Rather sounds like this is our striker signing. Is he better than AA playing a centre forward role? Can't be any worse. England international no less (albeit U19s).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Can a supporter of a club that had Ron Davis, Martin Chivers, George Kirby, James Beattie et al at centre forward, and more recently Pelle, really not know what a “number 9” is? 
🤔💡

You forgot the best of them all...Charlie Wayman

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Rather sounds like this is our striker signing. Is he better than AA playing a centre forward role? Can't be any worse. England international no less (albeit U19s).

It's a weird one because his best work for Sheffield United last year came off the left, similar to Armstrong's off the right. I wonder if we'll just use them both up top in the 532 we used in the playoffs, or if we'll still need a focal point for them to both play off in the 5221 which we've been running in preseason.

• Like 1

Think this will prove to be a very good bit of business. £7m is peanuts these days, he’s a good finisher, good age and scored goals in an awful Sheffield United team. Lots to like here 

• Like 8

Some Sheffield United fan views - pretty much all positive, cannot find anyone moaning about him (and they had a lot to moan about last year)

He has been fabulous for us - his all round play, positional sense and making a nuisance of himself has been immense.

He's been so impressive. Very sharp and responsive, first to the ball so often in a variety of situations. Back to goal he's good, on the turn he's excellent, physically he can compete in every way and his decision making and end product is good. PL standard attacker, basically

Great loan signing and I think with better players around him or even just a better defence we would have made a better go at staying up

Brereton-Diaz more than proved himself to be Premier League capable with how he performed for our absolute shower. If he ends up in the Championship next season then he needs a new agent.

How I wish we had got him at the start of the season. He has improved our forward play so much.

Allowed us to keep and carry the ball further up field, which is something we've been desperately short of.

• Like 16

7 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

He got dropped from the national side not that long ago because the manager was frustrated with him not picking up Spanish quickly enough. 

25 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Some Sheffield United fan views - pretty much all positive, cannot find anyone moaning about him (and they had a lot to moan about last year)

I like the first quote. I like a striker that is a nuisance. Keep the defence thinking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HKsaint said:

Good news. We have a striker at last. 

It will be, HK my old pal, if and/when it’s made official but will it be enough? I would venture it’s very likely it will not be.

4 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Could someone tell me what a "number 9" actually is? I know it's a striker of sorts but I assumed it must be a particular style of striker or they'd have just said that?

A  "no. 9"  certainly covers quite a lot in modern football, so he is several things but primarily still perceived as a striker who is often physically strong to cope with big defenders and who much of the time operates centrally in the front line of his team,
running deep in channels without finding himself offside to find space and collect the ball and either try to find more space to score himself or pass the ball to team mates who are around him or come running from behind. 

Add to that that a classic no. 9 is also very important as first line of defense, pressing, when the opposition try to build up from the back.

Also the no. 9 is important in offering himself in link up play when his team mates move the ball through the lines of the opposition with the no. 9 helping, often with his back against the opposition goal and a defender or defensive midfielder breathing him down his neck -
essentially helping with holding and protecting the ball with as few touches on the ball as possible while team mates run forward to take part in building an attack.

A big strong no. 9 is also often very usefull at set pieces in both ends of the pitch because of his physic and skills in the air.

4 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

It wouldn’t surprise if a couple of days after we play them in the PL opener that a deal is finalised. They probably want to avoid any possibility of “Ex-player comes back to haunt Magpies” type headlines.

Fraser will join us. I’m not going to fret about the amount of time it takes. It’s not like he will need time get used to how we play. 

Im sure I heard Ross Stewart is doing specific training with us and the management still reckon he has a future with us. I still remember when he played in the steamed B Team game he looked good. Still reckon his last injury could have happened to any player it was a shit happens moment. Think it’s unfair to call him injury prone . 

Edited by manji
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Whenever I've watched him he's reminded me of Maik Taylor, a proper solid unit of goalkeeper who does the essential things well.  Surprised that he's only played 29 times for Palace since joining them.  Clearly not currently on par with Ramsdale but sure he would improve us without destroying our bank balance, rather like BBD.

Maik Taylor was excellent for us. A travesty that he got replaced so quickly.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Clearly not currently on par with Ramsdale

I fully understand the love-in with regards to Ramsdale, as he's clearly significantly better than anyone we currently have, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that he's been relegated from the PL twice already - once with Sheffield United and once with Bournemouth!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Maik Taylor was excellent for us. A travesty that he got replaced so quickly.

He was indeed, victim of the Dave Jones new broom shoehorn. Way better than Paul Jones and a Saints fan to boot! Think he was about 24/25 when he joined us and only made about 20 appearances. Had about ten seasons in the Prem with Fulham and Birmingham after he left us and over 500 appearances and 88 caps overall. Solid player. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

I fully understand the love-in with regards to Ramsdale, as he's clearly significantly better than anyone we currently have, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that he's been relegated from the PL twice already - once with Sheffield United and once with Bournemouth!

All things equal right now who would you recruit, Johnston or Ramsdale? That was the point. 

7 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

All things equal right now who would you recruit, Johnston or Ramsdale? That was the point.

A few years ago Johnstone's stock was pretty high - I think he made a number of England squads? Like you, I'm surprised at how little he's played for Palace, as he seemed to be quite sought after when he first went there. So I can only assume that he's struggled for form in recent times, and although he might be available for a reasonable fee, I wonder whether he would be a bigger risk than Ramsdale? Of course I have no idea whether there is any possibility of Saints being able to cobble together a realistic deal for Ramsdale so we may well have to set our sights lower, and then Johnstone could well be worth considering. Like most on here, I don't have a lot of faith in Saints  GK recruitment!

• Like 1

BBD was part of the England U19 team that won the Euros in 2017

England: 1 Aaron Ramsdale (AFC Bournemouth), 2 Dujon Sterling (Chelsea), 3 Jay Dasilva (capt; Chelsea), 4 Tayo Edun (Fulham), 6 Easah Suliman (Aston Villa), 7 Isaac Buckley-Ricketts (Manchester City), 8 Andre Dozzell (Ipswich Town), 10 Mason Mount (Chelsea), 11 Ryan Sessegnon (Fulham), 12 Lukas Nmecha (Manchester City),  16 Darnell Johnson (Leicester City). Substitutes:   9 Ben Brereton (Nottingham Forest) for Nmecha 72, 15 Josh Dasilva (Arsenal) for Dozzell 77, 14 Marcus Edwards (Tottenham Hotspur), for Buckley-Ricketts 84.

Put 2 past the Germans, and scored the winner against the Dutch. 3 goals made him a joint golden boot winner alongside Ryan Sessegnon, Joel Piroe & Viktor Gyökeres. 

Also was Chilean Footballer of the Year 2022 whilst playing for Blackburn. Perhaps @Matthew Le God can regale us with the full story of how Football Manager players picked up on his Chilean mother and created a campaign to get him capped.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dellyears said:

You forgot the best of them all...Charlie Wayman

I raise you Colin Clarke, Iain Dowie, Kerry Dixon, Joe Jordan, Neil Shipperley ... I think at least some of those were no 9s.

17 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

A few years ago Johnstone's stock was pretty high - I think he made a number of England squads? Like you, I'm surprised at how little he's played for Palace, as he seemed to be quite sought after when he first went there. So I can only assume that he's struggled for form in recent times, and although he might be available for a reasonable fee, I wonder whether he would be a bigger risk than Ramsdale? Of course I have no idea whether there is any possibility of Saints being able to cobble together a realistic deal for Ramsdale so we may well have to set our sights lower, and then Johnstone could well be worth considering. Like most on here, I don't have a lot of faith in Saints  GK recruitment!

Agree with much of that, but it's chalk and cheese.  I think with Johnstone we get a solid ex-England keeper three years younger than McCarthy and overall a better option than we have currently.  Ramsdale would be the epitome of a marquee signing for Saints, but if the quoted figures that Arsenal are holding out for we've got no chance unless at the close of the window we are the last club standing and not sure we will want to wait until then.  For me if we can improve with some quality and experience right through that spine (permanent or loans) we will have a chance.  

57 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Happy with this but still reckon we need more firepower up top. 

Could you see us bringing in another striker ? 

Unlikely as at some point in the season Stewart will be matchfit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CamSaint said:

Relegation isn't always the goalie's fault.  I've always maintained that a keeper is only as a good as the defence in front of him.

I recall Jordan Pickford was Sunderland keeper when they went down with record number of goals conceded, but  still got  the move to Everton,

and at the current rate ...he'll still be England keeper under .." the new England manager "  but he'll still be back to having defence problems even there.

2 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Relegation isn't always the goalie's fault.  I've always maintained that a keeper is only as a good as the defence in front of him.

I recall Jordan Pickford was Sunderland keeper when they went down with record number of goals conceded, but  still got  the move to Everton,

and at the current rate ...he'll still be England keeper under .." the new England manager "  but he'll still be back to having defence problems even there.

If that's the case, why even bother having a decent keeper?

2 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

If we're in the process of naming every SFC striker then I 'm chucking in this, short-lived but scored some vital goals

https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/video/on-this-day-evans-brace-beats-forest  (you'll have to sign in to see it)

And...Peter Osgood

At least Evans contributed, not sure if Moody did much.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

“Or the Bournemouth player” the one who has gone to Leeds already can’t see that happening can you?

Fraser is trying to sort a deal for pay off going by your statement there is no rush as he knows how we play already.

We signed a Prem player in Charlie Taylor already in that position if left wing back

I don't think Charlie taylor is from premier league. 

As for my comment on the Bournemouth players I mean sq.uad fillers not quality. Evan Brooks played shite

• Confused 2