Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

I’ll be mighty miffed if Ballard goes out on loan and then we bring in another bod. He’s done everything he can to prove himself capable in pre-season so far and is more capable than Mara, Sulemana and at least equal to Edozie. In Russ we trust?

1 minute ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Clearly lots going on behind the scenes, but reassuring the manager looking to replace the first team gaps - Che, Stu, Fraser and Brooks.

On Fraser, he wants to go. Newcastle want him to go. The relationship between player and manager/club can't be great if he's training with Ue1s. Could be Newcastle haven't had their valuation met. They are waiting for us to improve it, or for Fraser to put in a transfer request to remove a number of bonuses.

I thought it was something to do with Fraser wanting some pay off which Newcastle do not agree with

2 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

I thought we should have bought Johnstone when he went to Palace.  Not a spectacular keeper but solid and knows his trade well.

Agreed, solid gloveartist.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John B said:

I thought it was something to do with Fraser wanting some pay off which Newcastle do not agree with

Entirely possible. Beside all the bonuses for not putting in a request and being with the club for set lengths of time, he may well be looking for some/most/all of a wage packet taken care of as well. All of which means it will drag out a bit.

• Like 2

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

Could someone tell me what a "number 9" actually is? I know it's a striker of sorts but I assumed it must be a particular style of striker or they'd have just said that?

I always assumed a number nine would do more footballing goals than the others. 

• Like 1

The problem sam amo has is called Adam Armstrong.
Unless AA moves away from RW ️ CF - or gets injured - Sam is never going to start in his preferred position.  It’s why I see him going out on loan. 

Which is a problem cos AA is way better cutting in from the inside right channel than anyone else we got and is therefore undroppable. But Sam is potentially a generational talent of great value. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I’ll be mighty miffed if Ballard goes out on loan and then we bring in another bod. He’s done everything he can to prove himself capable in pre-season so far and is more capable than Mara, Sulemana and at least equal to Edozie. In Russ we trust?

Are you confusing him with Dibling?

Ballard has done sod all in pre-season, was injured all of last year and needs proper mens football to see if he's any good.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

The problem sam amo has is called Adam Armstrong.
Unless AA moves away from RW ️ CF - or gets injured - Sam is never going to start in his preferred position.  It’s why I see him going out on loan. 

Which is a problem cos AA is way better cutting in from the inside right channel than anyone else we got and is therefore undroppable. But Sam is potentially a generational talent of great value. 

I think this was all said in the early stages of last season. He looked highly impressive coming on as sub but when starting v QPR looked a bit out of his depth and not ready.

He needs careful handling, and gradual introduction not thrown in and seeing confidence destroyed.  Difficult to balance I know. 

3 hours ago, Bob60 said:

Villarreal and Southampton are finalising an agreement for Ben Brereton Díaz!

#SaintsFC are set to pay €8m.

The striker listened to other offers but was convinced by Southampton.

what does this Chilean know about surviving in the premier league, we need some British grit not some flouncy from the southern hemisphere.

• Haha 5

46 minutes ago, GastonRamirez said:

It’s a shame really, I thought Fraser was a great addition to the squad. He had a good impact as a sub, offered lots of experience and had the ability to play defensively too as we saw in the latter stages of the play-offs. 

I figured he would have been cheap too, especially as Newcastle do not want him at all and Eddie Howe forces him to train with the U21s just as he did before his loan to us.

I also clearly missed this. I thought THB, Downes and Fraser would all be key players this coming season with the Bournemouth loan duo going back to their club.

Bearing in mind RM stumbled across the three at the back plus wing backs and Fraser filled that wing back role perfectly in the last couple of games (arguably man of the match at Wembley), I thought he was one of our priorities. Who's going to fill that role now or are we going to use a flat back four? The next couple of friendlies may give us some clues.

27 minutes ago, John B said:

23 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Entirely possible. Beside all the bonuses for not putting in a request and being with the club for set lengths of time, he may well be looking for some/most/all of a wage packet taken care of as well. All of which means it will drag out a bit.

This is what I read somewhere. At one stage his return seemed nailed on, but it was subject to Fraser agreeing terms on leaving Newcastle. Suggestion was that he wanted them to pay up the final year of his contract leading to a stand off. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

what does this Chilean know about surviving in the premier league, we need some British grit not some flouncy from the southern hemisphere.

I’m pretty sure he only added Díaz onto his name in more recent years. When he was at Forest he was just boring old Ben Brereton. 

• Like 1

Just now, Badger said:

This is what I read somewhere. At one stage his return seemed nailed on, but it was subject to Fraser agreeing terms on leaving Newcastle. Suggestion was that he wanted them to pay up the final year of his contract leading to a stand off. 

Fair play to him if true. They agreed a contract with him.

You can't moan about players not seeing out their contracts and wanting to leave them early and then moan that they want to stay for the duration of their contract.

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

What? And strangle at birth our  brilliant new just two syllable chant for him? 

“BEN-DEE”

“BEN DEE”

I should be songwriting for our next Eurovision entry. 😇

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Fair play to him if true. They agreed a contract with him.

You can't moan about players not seeing out their contracts and wanting to leave them early and then moan that they want to stay for the duration of their contract.

But he doesn’t want to see out the contract, sounds that he wants to leave,  possibly on a free, but also wants his club to pay his final year. 

Edited by Badger

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

You of all people fell for this 🤣

I didn’t I loled. But it’s FACT about him name. Even worse than being some flouncy South American that doesn’t like the cold he wishes he was one

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

But he doesn’t want to see out the contract, sounds that he wants to leave,  possibly on a free, but also wants his club to pay his final year. 

He can't have it both ways. If he was desperate to leave he would forgo any money and just go where he can play.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Could someone tell me what a "number 9" actually is? I know it's a striker of sorts but I assumed it must be a particular style of striker or they'd have just said that?

Back in the day your number 9 was a classic no nonsense centre forward who would lead the line and not faff around with anything except getting on the end of crosses and sticking their elbows into the faces of pug ugly defenders.  Generally of the tall variety and Jimmy Hill would often lament England lacking "a big number 9".  Nowadays it's probably a semi inverted dwarf that drops deep and creates havoc between the lines.  Either that or a chinese takeaway menu item.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Back in the day your number 9 was a classic no nonsense centre forward who would lead the line and not faff around with anything except getting on the end of crosses and sticking their elbows into the faces of pug ugly defenders.  Generally of the tall variety and Jimmy Hill would often lament England lacking "a big number 9".  Nowadays it's probably a semi inverted dwarf that drops deep and creates havoc between the lines.  Either that or a chinese takeaway menu item.

So I'm assuming a fit Ross Stewart would be a 9?

6 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

He can't have it both ways. If he was desperate to leave he would forgo any money and just go where he can play.

Exactly. ‘ Cake and eat it’ springs to mind.

Shame as although he might not have been a regular starter I think he’d have offered us something this year. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ally_uk said:

My thoughts so far: 

Mara and Sulemana get rid of both 

KWP if the right bid comes in sell.

Ross Stewart I'm writing him off I reckon we are not being told the full story. 

Bazunu I don't care how good Distribution is... the whole point of a goal keeper is to keep the ball out the net. I've watched the lad for like two seasons now and he has Weetabix wrists.....  Upgrade! 

Matt O'Reiley before we were linked never heard of him think he is a bit overhyped do we really need him for that amount of money? 

My main areas of concern are striker position we desperately need to get this right and invest properly. 

Dibs and Amo deserve a chance best performers preseason easily. 

We So your up for getting rid of players who know how we play.

No warming to the style well get from a new player with little or no pre season now.  

Then comes the issue the club seem reluctant to spend proper money and it would appear there are better proposition being made from or league and close rivals.

So on your route we'll get rid of players and struggle to replace and end up with a Brooks or the Bournemouth player. We don't even have fraser yet and that should have been the easiest deal to do

2 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

No warming to the style well get from a new player with little or no pre season now.  

Then comes the issue the club seem reluctant to spend proper money and it would appear there are better proposition being made from or league and close rivals.

So on your route we'll get rid of players and struggle to replace and end up with a Brooks or the Bournemouth player. We don't even have fraser yet and that should have been the easiest deal to do

Are you suggesting Sulemana and Mara know how we play? They don't even understand football in it's simplest terms, so they would be of no loss to any professional football club. Ross Stewart doesn't know how we play because he's never played.

We could lose Ross, Sulemana and Mara, and not replace them and we'd still be no weaker than we are with them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, northam soul said:

At the moment I make it 29 players in our first team squad including Baz, Dibling and Sam Amo.

We will certainly need to shift a large number especially as we apparently want to bring in another 3.

Imagine Tall Paul is off, along with ABK for sure.

• Like 2

Romano's Tweeted it, £7m. That's a good fee for someone who bagged six league goals in an awful Sheffield United side from January last season. We've got a couple of bargains this season with Edwards already. Means we haven't had to spend a huge amount to replace Adams either, giving us more movement in the O'Riley negotations.

• Like 5

Just now, Badger said:
20 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

So I'm assuming a fit Ross Stewart would be a 9?

No idea. Ask again once we’ve seen him play. 

So a number 2 so far?

11 minutes ago, northam soul said:

At the moment I make it 29 players in our first team squad including Baz, Dibling and Sam Amo.

We will certainly need to shift a large number especially as we apparently want to bring in another 3.

Could we exclude Bazunu from the squad given it’s unlikely we’ll see him play (this side of Christmas anyway) ? 

28 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Joe Jordan

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Imagine Tall Paul is off, along with ABK for sure.

Plus, possibly/probably Kyle, Lys, Mara, Salamana, and the youngsters don’t count as part of our squad total. However, it will still make it a big squad, with some players never getting near the bench, which potentially might work against our youngsters.

Also makes me think that the Fraser deal is less likely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John B said:

It wouldn’t surprise if a couple of days after we play them in the PL opener that a deal is finalised. They probably want to avoid any possibility of “Ex-player comes back to haunt Magpies” type headlines.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

“Or the Bournemouth player” the one who has gone to Leeds already can’t see that happening can you?

Fraser is trying to sort a deal for pay off going by your statement there is no rush as he knows how we play already.

We signed a Prem player in Charlie Taylor already in that position if left wing back

Edited by Give it to Ron

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

£7m for BBD, or £15-20m for Delap… guess we’ll see next May who got the better deal.

Bizarre isn't, think we've got another bargain here, alongside Edwards and Sugawara, certainly aren't being quoted Premier League prices. One scored 8 in 31 Championship matches last season for a play off chasing side, while the other scored 6 in 14 in the Premier League for a relegated club who won just 16 points. Only four years between the two as well. Delap has the Man City tax though, which we've been stung with a few times before.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

£7m for BBD, or £15-20m for Delap… guess we’ll see next May who got the better deal.

It's somewhat the polar opposite of what we did the last time we were in this league. We got the likes of Mara for £12m (11.95m he cost, believe it or not - Jesus), whilst other clubs went for more experienced options at similar prices. £20m for Delap is something we'd have done, well we were trying to do, but we seem to have learnt.

£8m on a attacking signing is food and drink for a PL club, if he fails....we've not just spunked over £20m on someone, so financially we won't be screwed should be need to switch out next summer - but if he does reasonably well, even 10 goals, he has paid back £8m and we will be sat on easily double or 3 times profit should we sell.

• Like 1

BBD is a decent if unspectacular signing. Unlike many I think Stewart will come good and I suspect the club will assume this. We still have AA who can of course play through the middle but I'd love it if we get one more. If we can get O'Riley (who I admit I've never seen play, but from all reports is decent) plus this lad from metz then that's some good attacking business. I think we still lack another DCM, hopefully another coming in there. Plus a GK. If we can get these done then it will be a very good window, which is going very well so far!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

BBD is a decent if unspectacular signing. Unlike many I think Stewart will come good and I suspect the club will assume this. We still have AA who can of course play through the middle but I'd love it if we get one more. If we can get O'Riley (who I admit I've never seen play, but from all reports is decent) plus this lad from metz then that's some good attacking business. I think we still lack another DCM, hopefully another coming in there. Plus a GK. If we can get these done then it will be a very good window, which is going very well so far!

Totally agree with you, but that’s a total of five further signings. Seems a bit optimistic to be honest, especially if they are going to be players to improve us rather than just to bloat the squad. 

GK a critical signing in my view. 

• Like 1