Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Thats a poor show Turks, surely there should be a CoTs Cobra meeting so that you can keep your finger on the pulse. No good swanning about in Mexico when there are important things to be done, should back on the first plane. May I ask does your ego have its own seat on the plane? Only teasing x

We have been very clear that the CoT will return in June. I know you are all desperate for the latest updates, especially given our success this season, but you will have to be a little more patient I’m afraid. Let us assure you though that there is some VERY interesting news coming sooner rather than later. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

Wages would likely be the issue. He'll be on a fortune at Arsenal. Think we have to aim lower than the top 6 Premier clubs - apart from their youngsters of course 🙂

You're right probably more of a forest type signing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

100% agree.

A week or so ago I had a look into his stats from Brighton last year, post below:

This season at Brighton he’s started 12 games and come on as sub in 12. So either unused sub or not in the squad in 14 league games.

Of the games he’s started, he’s only twice made it past the 60 minute mark before getting hooked.

And he’s scored zero goals, assisted 1.

He’s clearly still a pretty good player at some sort of level, but just such a risk for anyone to take as he can’t get close to finishing a 90 minute game.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/adam-lallana/leistungsdaten/spieler/43530

Even when he was with us he’d often be subbed about the 70th minute. Stamina never been his strong point, I hear even Crewe players can go longer 🤔🤔🤔

It really will be us or Bournemouth only for him at this level now as he wants to stay in this area. I believe they still have the main Highcliffe family home and he’s no intention of living elsewhere again. This clearly has legs. 

6 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I was at a party once in 2009 I think it was and got chatting to someone who had bumped into him in a night club a few weeks earlier. It was the end of our first season in League One (I think) and this guy asked Lallana if we were going up the next season and Lallana's response was "I don't give a fvck, I'm not gonna be here!"

That’s it then, conclusive proof…

• Haha 5

I remember talking to Lallana's father at St Mary's when the rumours started, of course he catogorically denied there was any chance of him leaving. Then on an England squad he appeared with a Liverpool shirt according to the press. After that it all kicked off and he left. It left sour taste but for me he was history.

Until now, a week or so ago around Brighton's last match although De Zerbi had stated he would like him to sign on again Lallana understandably stated he'd been four years at Brighton and wanted to play on nearer to his home. Ringwoodish ?? I thought then really it was us or Bournemouth he was thinking of.  Our connection with him doesn't surprise me. Personally I think he would be a good fit for us despite my reservations. We need less youth and a few battle hardened veterans a la Lawrie McMenemy as long as they aren't overpaid. Lallana has been around the block since he left and would give us a bit of knowhow. On another subject another player that performed well in the Premier was Ross Barkley, 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, James G said:

What about the Irish GK at Liverpool. He's supposedly wanting to leave, available for 20m ish

It's a decent shout. I think Liverpool fans have been very impressed with him when he has been called upon.

I would imagine Baz would seriously consider his options, as being behind him here would give him no chance to compete for the Ireland shirt. Which in all honesty, might be no bad thing for us!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Can't believe Phillips is even being suggested. Woeful player who had that one good game for England that one time and has lived off it ever since. Didn't even think he was THAT good at Leeds.

He was great at Leeds.

If you want a guy to run all day, make tackles, hassle players on the ball, force turnovers of possession etc, then he is your man. With the ball, he is pretty limited. Although we desperately need a player with his legs and bite, he really doesn't seem like a RM type of player, which is all about having the ability to pass, control and move into space.

• Like 3

I always think the key for promoted clubs is to unearth some unpolished gems that turn out to be diamonds. They tend to be well within budget in terms of transfer fees and wages. Clearly it's not easy but I'm sure Mowbray has been clocking up the air miles and will have a few names in mind.

33 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What do people think about emile Smith Rowe? Too ambitious? 

Aim high. He looked bloody magic a season or two ago. Has disappeared behind the brilliant talent that is Odegaard. Certainly the type of player we want at SFC, but he might pecieve us to be `relegation potentials', so will be a hard sell.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, derry said:

Personally I think he would be a good fit for us despite my reservations. We need less youth and a few battle hardened veterans a la Lawrie McMenemy as long as they aren't overpaid. Lallana has been around the block since he left and would give us a bit of knowhow. 

Agree with you about signing players who can offer the know how, and experience but it’s a bit of a stretch to think of  Lallana as ‘battle hardened’ , I don’t think he was that even when he was in his prime. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What do people think about emile Smith Rowe? Too ambitious? 

Another who needs game time.  Could be the perfect replacement for Stu Armstrong but suspect if that he is available then we wouldn't be the only team interested.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Agree with you about signing players who can offer the know how, and experience but it’s a bit of a stretch to think of  Lallana as ‘battle hardened’ , I don’t think he was that even when he was in his prime. 

I don't see him as physically combative but I do think in the ten years since he has left, six years at Liverpool, four at Brighton, European cups and internationals has battle hardened him.

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

This. 36 years old with a poor injury record. If the idea is to bring in a coach, fine, but bring in one with coaching experience. I don’t see how this works as a player or a player/coach. The money could be better spent elsewhere.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

That’s it then, conclusive proof…

There is actually some truth in this. He was trying to get a move back then, I can’t remember which club it was too but he was defintely trying to leave and a deal was close for whatever reason the deal didn’t happen and he stayed. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

There is actually some truth in this. He was trying to get a move back then, I can’t remember which club it was too but he was defintely trying to leave and a deal was close for whatever reason the deal didn’t happen and he stayed. 

I have Norwich in mind, seem to recall a £3m price tag being mooted.

Edit: or maybe it was Fulham actually.

Edited by The Kraken

Just now, The Kraken said:

I have Norwich in mind, seem to recall a £3m price tag being mooted.

Edit: or maybe it was Fulham actually.

Yeah and he grizzled like a bitch when it didn’t happen. Guys a proper 🛎️🔚

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Chez said:

He was great at Leeds.

If you want a guy to run all day, make tackles, hassle players on the ball, force turnovers of possession etc, then he is your man. With the ball, he is pretty limited. Although we desperately need a player with his legs and bite, he really doesn't seem like a RM type of player, which is all about having the ability to pass, control and move into space.

Talking about what he was at Leeds seems a bit pointless. Like saying Danny drinkwater was good at Leicester.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

This. 36 years old with a poor injury record. If the idea is to bring in a coach, fine, but bring in one with coaching experience. I don’t see how this works as a player or a player/coach. The money could be better spent elsewhere.

Spot on

There are a couple of players at Norwich that I would take up with us - Rowe and Sara both look quality, Sara would be a great midfield addition. 

I think I saw somewhere Wolves are after Rowe and can see Sara being picked up by a similar type of club, but worth a look I reckon. 

36 minutes ago, Chez said:

Aim high. He looked bloody magic a season or two ago. Has disappeared behind the brilliant talent that is Odegaard. Certainly the type of player we want at SFC, but he might pecieve us to be `relegation potentials', so will be a hard sell.  

I thought he was injured most of the season and only started playing towards the end? Either way, I think he is Arsenals plans going forward. I'd love him here though.

Norwich's Gabriel Sara would be a good shout to strengthen our midfield. An outstanding performer this year in the Championship, played mostly AM, but can play DM and scores a few goals too (13 in 23-24). Biggest issue would be competition from other Premier league teams; I believe that Palace are already sniffing around. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, santolijador said:

There are a couple of players at Norwich that I would take up with us - Rowe and Sara both look quality, Sara would be a great midfield addition. 

I think I saw somewhere Wolves are after Rowe and can see Sara being picked up by a similar type of club, but worth a look I reckon. 

Just saw that I repeated your suggestion. Great minds ...... 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, santolijador said:

Not big match players if the play off against leeds is anything to go by!!

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Clarke from Sunderland, Calum o’hare available on a free, Szmodics Blackburn 

all players that cook in the championship but can they make the step up? 

I thought you were starting the riddles in June.

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Clarke from Sunderland, Calum o’hare available on a free, Szmodics Blackburn 

all players that cook in the championship but can they make the step up? 

Jack Clarke looked full of promise prior to his injury; he tore us to pieces at their place earlier in the season.  Not sure how he's been since he got back (March-time I think) but a total of 15 goals from 40 league appearances is pretty impressive for someone who isn't a striker.  His agent is Ian Harte and he's been vocal that Sunderland won't be able to match his wage demands.

I would hope we went back to looking at Scandinavia for players we have had some beauties like Fonte, Svennson, Niemi , Anders, Jesus rather than France which hardly ends well.

Brentford have done well too doing this and good prices.

• Like 1

Just seen that since the 2014/15 season, we're actually £8m in profit on transfers. The only current top flight team who are in profit during this timeframe.

The next lowest-spending team who've been in the Prem throughout this period is Brentford at -£35m, followed by Brighton at -£69m and then also promoted Leicester at -£133m. 

This obviously goes all the way up to Man Utd, Man City & Chelsea, who all have net spend figures exceeding £1billion in this 10 year timeframe. Chelsea have actually spent £2.35billion on outgoings during this spell, which is hilarious.

Would like to think we have a pretty reasonable budget for this season. SR went quite heavy in their first year, which we recuperated most of last season after the relegation.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

We do not want a repeat of the Walcott type debacle.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I would hope we went back to looking at Scandinavia for players we have had some beauties like Fonte, Svennson, Niemi , Anders, Jesus rather than France which hardly ends well.

Brentford have done well too doing this and good prices.

Fonte? the Portuguese CB we signed from Palace? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Jack Clarke looked full of promise prior to his injury; he tore us to pieces at their place earlier in the season.  Not sure how he's been since he got back (March-time I think) but a total of 15 goals from 40 league appearances is pretty impressive for someone who isn't a striker.  His agent is Ian Harte and he's been vocal that Sunderland won't be able to match his wage demands.

He seems a Martin sort of player, left footed but can play on the right like Brooks, as he can play on the left and on the right there is indeed a chance he could make Messi look shite 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, derry said:

I don't see him as physically combative but I do think in the ten years since he has left, six years at Liverpool, four at Brighton, European cups and internationals has battle hardened him.

Probably mentally stronger from that time, fair enough

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Possibly with the U21's or whatever the Ollie Lancashire role was/is.

As for the first team, I'd love an Alan Ball/Jimmy Case in there but just don't see Lallana , or any other fulfilling that role. (Does such a beast exist ?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Master Bates said:

Liverpool tell Saints they must pay £20m for Sepp van den Berg

A 22 year old CB with 33 bundasliga games under his belt. 

These youngsters sure are expensive!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Quite aside from being a dickhead, from those quotes that he gave to Brighton at the end of the season it sounds like he just wants a final pay day somewhere near his house. 

If all that matters to him is where he's based, let him sign for Ringwood. 

I really hope we're not paying him much. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saintant said:

I always think the key for promoted clubs is to unearth some unpolished gems that turn out to be diamonds. They tend to be well within budget in terms of transfer fees and wages. Clearly it's not easy but I'm sure Mowbray has been clocking up the air miles and will have a few names in mind.

Looking at this transfer thread, Master bates and a few others have been very active in adding scouting reports on here over the past couple of months, prob due to Mowbrays findings. Typical names we do not know, a bunch of teens around 19ish who could be the next top or flop. A few 24-25 old players with a bit of experience, but almost all were over 6 ft, so it seems we are looking for bigger playrers.

We had a good look at the champ players and to pinch a few for the right price would be wise. 

The PL relegated teams have some good players we could use. 

Chelsea is supposed to have another firesale to improve FFP finances.

LOTS of chioices out there, lets hope we get most of them right.

Posted (edited)

Not sure on Lallana but I'm edging on positive. Was excellent for us in his first spell and took us through the Leagues, he's an academy graduate so that's a good advert and I personally don't mind that he joined a bigger club, something I'm sure most players would do if the opportunity came along (there are exceptions like MLT). The issues are his age and his previous injury history, although I am surprised to see he wasn't injured at all last season. (EDIT - and of course the way he left which should have been handled better - but has enough time passed since that?)

However - as a (hopefully) cheapish, squad filler I wouldn't be against it.

22/23 Thigh problems Jan 22, 2023 Apr 14, 2023 82 days Brighton & Hove Albion12
22/23 Calf injury Aug 26, 2022 Sep 28, 2022 33 days Brighton & Hove Albion3
21/22 Hamstring injury Mar 12, 2022 Apr 1, 2022 20 days Brighton & Hove Albion2
21/22 Hamstring injury Jan 14, 2022 Jan 22, 2022 8 days Brighton & Hove Albion2
21/22 Leg injury Dec 1, 2021 Dec 14, 2021 13 days Brighton & Hove Albion2
20/21 Groin strain Jan 3, 2021 Jan 26, 2021 23 days Brighton & Hove Albion4
20/21 Groin strain Dec 28, 2020 Jan 1, 2021 4 days Brighton & Hove Albion1
20/21 Groin strain Nov 29, 2020 Dec 15, 2020 16 days Brighton & Hove Albion2
20/21 Groin strain Nov 22, 2020 Nov 27, 2020 5 days -
18/19 Knock Apr 1, 2019 May 31, 2019 60 days Liverpool FC10
18/19 Knock Jan 6, 2019 Jan 18, 2019 12 days Liverpool FC2
18/19 Knock Nov 9, 2018 Dec 4, 2018 25 days Liverpool FC4
18/19 Groin strain Sep 4, 2018 Oct 19, 2018 45 days Liverpool FCEngland9
17/18 Hamstring injury Mar 31, 2018 May 13, 2018 43 days Liverpool FC11
17/18 Hamstring injury Jul 31, 2017 Nov 25, 2017 117 days Liverpool FCEngland27
16/17 Hamstring injury Mar 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017 31 days Liverpool FC5
16/17 minor knock Nov 17, 2016 Dec 1, 2016 14 days Liverpool FC3
16/17 Groin strain Sep 29, 2016 Oct 17, 2016 18 days Liverpool FCEngland4
15/16 Calf problems Feb 11, 2016 Feb 25, 2016 14 days Liverpool FC3
15/16 Thigh problems Aug 24, 2015 Sep 17, 2015 24 days Liverpool FCEngland6
14/15 Groin injury Mar 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015 31 days Liverpool FCEngland6
14/15 Hamstring injury Jan 1, 2015 Jan 19, 2015 18 days Liverpool FC4
14/15 Knee injury Jul 24, 2014 Sep 1, 2014 39 days Liverpool FC3

The problem we have with Downes is that if we want him, we'll have to wait. Can we afford to go into pre-season with only Charles as a DM whilst we bide our time for Downes (a move which could ultimately not happen if they want to keep him)? Personally I'd be bringing in another DM or CM that can play DM anyway even if the move for Downes proves fruitful long term.

Edited by SNSUN

3 hours ago, swannymere said:

Romeu is only 32. 

Without a resale value, we'd have to fall back on his technical ability, experience at bigger clubs and love for ours. Tough one. 🙂

I was hoping someone would give him a call and ask who we could be looking at at Barca. Their cash problems can't have gone anywhere.

1 hour ago, CSA96 said:

His coaching will consist of getting players to agitate for moves away from the club, and build up their stamina to ... last an hour tops on the pitch.

He's honest at least. Be nearer home, focus on his family and his coaching.

On the plus side, we'd have someone with experience at the bestest club in the world under the bestest manager ever. Getting players to join big clubs actually suits the SR model. Free, and hopefully not going to be on Walcott wages.

He provides an example of a career to aspire to (But then, so would a poster of Pele, and it wouldn't moan about not being put on the best wall).

24 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Without a resale value, we'd have to fall back on his technical ability, experience at bigger clubs and love for ours. Tough one. 🙂

I was hoping someone would give him a call and ask who we could be looking at at Barca. Their cash problems can't have gone anywhere.

I'd be slightly worried if we ended up getting Lallana, Ings & Romeu and turn into the home for ex-Saints. I personally feel that Romeu would be the best of the bunch, playing for Barca shows how well his return to Spain went, plus he never had any pace to lose, so age may not affect him as it might other players. However, he will be on a load at Barca and possibly would see his future in his twilight years back in his home country. 

Lallana is a sensible signing, probably as a player/coach, from his time under Potter/De Zerbi etc at Brighton he’ll be used to a similar style to us and is a good squad option on not much money, not really arsed with how he left, it was ten years ago, move on. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

I'd be slightly worried if we ended up getting Lallana, Ings & Romeu and turn into the home for ex-Saints. I personally feel that Romeu would be the best of the bunch, playing for Barca shows how well his return to Spain went, plus he never had any pace to lose, so age may not affect him as it might other players. However, he will be on a load at Barca and possibly would see his future in his twilight years back in his home country. 

I've seen only a couple of appearances from him this season. He seemed fine. I was going to say that I'd therefore leave assessment to others. But not the ones who said his legs had gone, when our whole side was jaded when he was last here.

Same for the others. Not seen much of Ings recently only from the bench, and even less from Lallana. If they are genuinely the best fit our recruitment team can find to help us stay up, then fine. I'd be a bit surprised if that was the case.

If Barca are their usual selves, they will be doing a combination of paying big stars loads. While also pushing their previous group of big stars out the door through any means possible, and playing on the loyalty of others to pay them as little as possible.

Like you say, I could easily see him wanting to be in Spain for the rest of his career.

• Like 1