Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

15 hours ago, Dan Johnson said:

I remember listening on the radio round my next door neighbours, I must have been about 11?

can’t remember what radio station it was but they always used to play the piano riff of Bruce Hornsby’s that’s just the way it is at the final whistle 👌

I don’t remember much but I remember it being a must win and celebrating like made when we scored 

I'm glad you enjoyed it too 👍 There were SO many nail biting "win or die" games in the 90s for us. I remember in 98/99 we were 1-3 down at home vs Blackburn with very few matches left; Mark Hughes scored to 2-3 or 3-3 and we ended up with a supremely precious point, went on to beat Everton 2-0 in the last match of the season (Pahars x 2) and Blackburn and Wimbledon? and ? got relegated.  No trophy or top 6 achievements in the 90s but we were in a cup final (Full Members Cup / the Zenith Data Systems Cup ) at Wembley with a big crowd, which we lost 3-2 to Forest in 92, BUT we had Le God , and I enjoyed so much that Saints managed to avoid relegation in that tough decade - still playing at The Dell, which became one of the smallest crowd capacity stadiums (14.254) because of the "all seater" rule.
Financially challenging decade in a small stadium but we made it, not least due to Le Tiss being legendarily loyal, and I feel very proud of it as a Saints fan.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Exactly! We know all too well who the Baz haters are, the only quesion is why they need to keep banging on and on about the lad having made their hatred obvious. Endless repetition of the same old mantra doesn't change anything, bores the rest of us senseless and undermines the lads sense of purpose and well-being. It amounts to bullying which would not be tolerated elsewhere but on this forum

Why are we so concerned about bazunu. He won't be playing this season. He was often calamitous but seen the other options they are too. 

I am so fed up with what the media is saying right now about unhappy players requesting transfers and no decisive moves from the club. 

With what we have signed so far we will be struggling again. There is a reason we didn't play Mccarthy for 90% of the season. Baz getting injured was a blessing in disguise as he was getting like a collander. We need someone prem standard between the post and a prem capable striker. 

As for bad deals they say onuachu was our worst signing in recent times however I would say it was Stewart who we signed injured and is still injured. 

By the way this is a forum so everyone gets an opinion 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh God you're right! Our recent track record of signing goalkeepers has been woeful. I look at the goalkeepers other clubs have and wonder wtf we've been playing at.

Newcastle currently have 6 keepers and are tooting for a 7th in Ramsbottom 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 6ft8saint said:

Newcastle currently have 6 keepers and are tooting for a 7th in Ramsbottom 

They can have Ramsbottom I would rather have Ramsdale anyway 🙂

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Reading that article I see an 18yo winger from Celtic>Liverpool who has already had a serious knee injury. Unless he is a wunderkind I just don't see why we wouldn't work with Dibling & SAA and keep our powder dry for more experienced players. In order to keep good young talent you need to play it, and we'll be under so much pressure that it is likely to be tough to do so, unless they become immediate superstars.

• Like 2

Ex saints set piece coach Andreas Georgson has joined Man Utd and someone he’s worked for before lol as set piece coach.

So far none of our players have made that journey north - but it would not surprise.

Not just for the obvious KWP fit for MUFC weak FB situation, but potentially for one of our starlets also, or perhaps a game of swopsies. 

A very late in the window request for KWP I’d say not out of the question if they not got a bigger “ name” in by then. But that request could also be from a bunch of other clubs also by that point..

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We both know a replacement for Lis will likely mean another one just as good

Who knows? Imagine will be a loan and there could be some good options as the window goes on and certain GKs know they aren't going to be playing where they are now.

My thoughts so far: 

Mara and Sulemana get rid of both 

KWP if the right bid comes in sell.

Ross Stewart I'm writing him off I reckon we are not being told the full story. 

Bazunu I don't care how good Distribution is... the whole point of a goal keeper is to keep the ball out the net. I've watched the lad for like two seasons now and he has Weetabix wrists.....  Upgrade! 

Matt O'Reiley before we were linked never heard of him think he is a bit overhyped do we really need him for that amount of money? 

My main areas of concern are striker position we desperately need to get this right and invest properly. 

Dibs and Amo deserve a chance best performers preseason easily. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Who knows? Imagine will be a loan and there could be some good options as the window goes on and certain GKs know they aren't going to be playing where they are now.

I never thought newly promoted Forest would get Henderson on loan at that time, but they did and they stayed up.

Who knows, maybe someone like Ramsdale could be that signing for us this year.

• Like 5

Just now, ErwinK1961 said:

I never thought newly promoted Forest would get Henderson on loan at that time, but they did and they stayed up.

Who knows, maybe someone like Ramsdale could be that signing for us this year.

Seemingly the question marks over Ramsdale are about his ability to play out with the ball. 

A loan to a team that does that would either prove he can't do it or show that he can. For his career longer term it could be a good loan move for him so perhaps has a chance of happening. But if not sure there would be some other decent keepers who would see a strong chance of being/becoming a PL #1 here and outting themselves in the shop window.

If we are braver about it then Carl Rushworth could be another option.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Seemingly the question marks over Ramsdale are about his ability to play out with the ball. 

A loan to a team that does that would either prove he can't do it or show that he can. For his career longer term it could be a good loan move for him so perhaps has a chance of happening. But if not sure there would be some other decent keepers who would see a strong chance of being/becoming a PL #1 here and outting themselves in the shop window.

If we are braver about it then Carl Rushworth could be another option.

We can also bring in a foreign keeper who can play with ball at their feet. There are plenty of them.

Villarreal and Southampton are finalising an agreement for Ben Brereton Díaz!

#SaintsFC are set to pay €8m.

The striker listened to other offers but was convinced by Southampton.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨 Southampton are close to an agreement with Villarreal to sign forward Ben Brereton Diaz for around €8m [£6.7m] #saintsfc @diarioas 3.3m followers this guy

Given the threadbare striker cupboard, this would be a good signing.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨 Southampton are close to an agreement with Villarreal to sign forward Ben Brereton Diaz for around €8m [£6.7m] #saintsfc @diarioas 3.3m followers this guy

No brainer.

41 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I thought we should have bought Johnstone when he went to Palace.  Not a spectacular keeper but solid and knows his trade well.

• Like 1

I hadn't realised BBD was only 25. I thought he was a bit of a journeyman.

For EUR 8m, I concur that it is, indeed, a no-brainer. Experience in the league, not really a gamble, and cheap (less than Tall Paul, and just over a third of a Sulemana, FFS).

He'll be very useful the following season if he go down, and if he does enough as a striker to earn himself a move up the food chain we'll make a huge profit.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Bob60 said:

Villarreal and Southampton are finalising an agreement for Ben Brereton Díaz!

#SaintsFC are set to pay €8m.

The striker listened to other offers but was convinced by Southampton.

Fck you Ipswich.

• Haha 9

36 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Forest have Matthew Turner and matz sels. Either of them worth signing if they get Ramsdale? 

Thought they’d already spent c £8m on a Brazilian GK as well. 

Edited by Badger

23 minutes ago, benjii said:

For EUR 8m, I concur that it is, indeed, a no-brainer. Experience in the league, not really a gamble, and cheap (less than Tall Paul, and just over a third of a Sulemana, FFS).

He'll be very useful the following season if he go down, and if he does enough as a striker to earn himself a move up the food chain we'll make a huge profit.

He does fly to Chile quite a lot.

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

We can also bring in a foreign keeper who can play with ball at their feet. There are plenty of them.

Yet we struggle to find one 

15 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Fck you Ipswich.

Decent re BB Diaz. Won't set the world alight, but good business and it's our kind of signing, at a good price. Please get a good keeper. Please, God.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, benjii said:

Would be a good signing. Unlike Che Adams he makes runs into the box and across defenders rather than being on his heels. I saw him play for Forest a few years back against Arsenal in the cup and thought he looked a handful then quite surprised it’s taken him so long to get a move to the premier league as seems to be one of those players always linked. As you say be decent this season and a real asset if we go down. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Forest have Matthew Turner and matz sels. Either of them worth signing if they get Ramsdale? 

They signed a massive 6ft 8 keeper in the summer too - clubs like Forest have no strategy when it comes to buying players, they just stockpile.

"David Brooks, who was a really good performer for us, and Ryan Fraser have left, so that makes sense. Then, Stuart Armstrong and Joe Rothwell have gone.

"It's natural. The gaps have opened up with players that were really effective for us and had a good impact.

"I think it's only natural we want to try and make sure we replace them with enough quality, and good enough quality to be in the Premier League."

That's an interesting note on Fraser - I always assumed that was a done and dusted bit of business, but to me that sounds like the club have moved on from him now. Maybe Newcastle were asking for stupid money and we wanted him on a free? Could be something like that.

I like Fraser last year, was pretty effective for us - opportunity to get an upgrade on him though.

Edited by S-Clarke

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That's an interesting note on Fraser - I always assumed that was a done and dusted bit of business, but to me that sounds like the club have moved on from him now. Maybe Newcastle were asking for stupid money and we wanted him on a free? Could be something like that.

I like Fraser last year, was pretty effective for us - opportunity to get an upgrade on him though.

Yeah, given Fraser wasnt a regular starter in the Championship for us I'm not sure how much or how effective he would be in the Premier League. I wouldnt be upset if we did get him but its not a deal breaker if we dont, unlike Downes would have been.

14 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Yeah, given Fraser wasnt a regular starter in the Championship for us I'm not sure how much or how effective he would be in the Premier League. I wouldnt be upset if we did get him but its not a deal breaker if we dont, unlike Downes would have been.

I thought he did well in the Final in a different role.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I thought it odd too. 
RM sounded fairly definitive we will not have Ryan. Though it could have been disingenuous because he quite literally is not with us atm - but might be. 
I also thought his description of Brooks performance was excessive. I thought he was ok somewhat lightweight defensively but with some classy touches. From what I’ve seen last three matches I’d have no qualms putting Sam there. And as for attacking midfielder presumably to replace Stu- well i d be delighted to see Tyler starting in the EPL. Spend the £25m and wages saved on a top goalie. 

51 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Would be a good signing. Unlike Che Adams he makes runs into the box and across defenders rather than being on his heels. I saw him play for Forest a few years back against Arsenal in the cup and thought he looked a handful then quite surprised it’s taken him so long to get a move to the premier league as seems to be one of those players always linked. As you say be decent this season and a real asset if we go down. 

Unlike Adams, he has two feet and has scored some pretty decent goals with his swinger. Also watched him play for Forest a fair bit. There he played with his back to goal a lot. I went to Stamford Bridge to see a cup game and he land looked extremely tidy on the ball and at home in that company. I think he was only 18 or 19 then. I think his game has changed a fair bit since then. He seems to run on to things more.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Unlike Adams, he has two feet and has scored some pretty decent goals with his swinger. Also watched him play for Forest a fair bit. There he played with his back to goal a lot. I went to Stamford Bridge to see a cup game and he land looked extremely tidy on the ball and at home in that company. I think he was only 18 or 19 then. I think his game has changed a fair bit since then. He seems to run on to things more.  

I'm not sure I'm old enough to watch that on Match of the Day.

• Haha 4

It’s a shame really, I thought Fraser was a great addition to the squad. He had a good impact as a sub, offered lots of experience and had the ability to play defensively too as we saw in the latter stages of the play-offs. 

I figured he would have been cheap too, especially as Newcastle do not want him at all and Eddie Howe forces him to train with the U21s just as he did before his loan to us.

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

No keeper

image.thumb.png.1f351e0ed8f9ffa6badffad638b73fb0.png

10 minutes ago, GastonRamirez said:

It’s a shame really, I thought Fraser was a great addition to the squad. He had a good impact as a sub, offered lots of experience and had the ability to play defensively too as we saw in the latter stages of the play-offs. 

I figured he would have been cheap too, especially as Newcastle do not want him at all and Eddie Howe forces him to train with the U21s just as he did before his loan to us.

Clearly lots going on behind the scenes, but reassuring the manager looking to replace the first team gaps - Che, Stu, Fraser and Brooks.

On Fraser, he wants to go. Newcastle want him to go. The relationship between player and manager/club can't be great if he's training with Ue1s. Could be Newcastle haven't had their valuation met. They are waiting for us to improve it, or for Fraser to put in a transfer request to remove a number of bonuses.

• Like 1