Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Pep plays his keepers as rush goalies because he observed us playing it on Peartree Green in the early 80s.

Apparently in training, Man City go to the old people’s flats and knock the doors and run off before the old biddies can see who knocked.  Another thing he picked up in Woolston back in the day.

Hopefully, they’ll get a few injuries when he introduces bundles and British Bulldog next season.

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I think if people get any more hysterical about Bazunu we’re going to be hearing about how he picks up the ball and hoofs it into his own net, six times a game, then goes home and murders some puppies.

Murders them because he keeps dropping them.

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

The biggest non-surprise ever, the club were never going to sign a new first choice to potentially oust Bazunu - never happening. This was the opportunity to do it, but the club see something in Bazunu that no one else in football does.

I just want a keeper that makes saves, nothing spectacular, just saves. Bazunu doesn't make saves so I don't know why we're still pinning our future on him. Statistically the worst GK in England's top two leagues in the last two seasons, not even a close contest either - miles off the nearest. Good with the ball at his feet though.

I hope the club target a first team loan though and not a squad filler, but I have always had the feeling that we'll have McCarthy as first choice with a squad filler signed to cover Bazunu's absence. Count me surprised if we do anything different.

I was talking to a friend the other day about Saint's styles. He was a really good goalkeeper and on Saints books at one time. We were talking about how bringing in McCarthy together with three centre backs saw us through the playoffs.  His take on Bazunu and McCarthy opened my eyes and answered for me some important questions. Why did Bazunu look so vulnerable. Martin's obsession with a ball playing goalkeeper seems to be his problem. He plays such a high line he is always going backwards. He is almost never in a shot stopping position coming out and narowing angles. Nearly always unsighted retreating behind defenders and especially vulnerable to deflections. McCarthy didn't because he was uncomfortable playing out so was coming out in the traditional way and making blocks. Personally I think we need to play the same way we did in the playoffs. The tippy tappy playing out in the three friendly games so far looks like a vulnerability clusterfuck in the making. The Premier League will be a much more difficult environment and Martin just doesn't have the time to learn the lessons. If he reverts to the back four, inverted wing back, tippy tappy we are going to get a hammering. 

• Like 11
  • Confused 1

Onuachu, Mara and Stewart, when it comes to signing strikers we could really do with a rethink as our current plan looks like Baldrick came up with it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Turkish said:

I’ve been invited to a customer golf day on Jutland in August but I will likely decline as it’s a long drive I understand from Copenhagen but I’ll be over again in September or October on business. It is a great city with good people I enjoy my visits to there and Stockholm. I will also visit Malmo shortly where the swedes commute to Copenhagen from I understand 

You have Royal golf course which is a 10 min metro/taxi from the city center (head for Bella Center). It will make you question whether you ever want to play the game again. 

40 minutes ago, derry said:

I was talking to a friend the other day about Saint's styles. He was a really good goalkeeper and on Saints books at one time. We were talking about how bringing in McCarthy together with three centre backs saw us through the playoffs.  His take on Bazunu and McCarthy opened my eyes and answered for me some important questions. Why did Bazunu look so vulnerable. Martin's obsession with a ball playing goalkeeper seems to be his problem. He plays such a high line he is always going backwards. He is almost never in a shot stopping position coming out and narowing angles. Nearly always unsighted retreating behind defenders and especially vulnerable to deflections. McCarthy didn't because he was uncomfortable playing out so was coming out in the traditional way and making blocks. Personally I think we need to play the same way we did in the playoffs. The tippy tappy playing out in the three friendly games so far looks like a vulnerability clusterfuck in the making. The Premier League will be a much more difficult environment and Martin just doesn't have the time to learn the lessons. If he reverts to the back four, inverted wing back, tippy tappy we are going to get a hammering. 

This sums it up for me. It’s the style of play that’s wrong more than the actual goalkeeper. Whoever you have in goal has got to cover too many shots from too many different angles, most of them from his own defenders. And for why?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Turkish said:

This’ll make some of you fell old. 32 years ago today Alan shearer left us for Blackburn for a then British record fee of £3.2m

with the money we signed Kerry Dixon, David Speedie, Perry Groves and Ken Monkou. One if four did well. Dixon and Speedie were definitely going to score more than shearer mind 🤦

Not sure my kids would know what a call box phone is, but I remember learning all of this from my dad phoning home from French holiday as a teenager!  I actually thought Dixon and Speedie would be good signings!  They would have been in the 80s!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baz Fl said:

Onuachu, Mara and Stewart, when it comes to signing strikers we could really do with a rethink as our current plan looks like Baldrick came up with it. 

Yep, but worth saying it’s for different reasons.

Onuachu doesn’t want to be here - at least now that is and had he been given a shot by RM at the outset that may have resulted in a different outcome perhaps.

Mara is just so way, way out of his depth it’s unreal and if I didn’t know better I’d say we had the wool well and truly pulled over our recruitment teams collective eyes when signing him. And he’s not got better - shockingly he’s gone backwards IMO. He (we) really needs a loan (preferably a loan to buy deal).

Stewart is the only player with a hint of the unknown about him, other than he’s had tough injuries to overcome for an extended period. He has good movement and the ability to score goals, however we’ve only seen him play for a short while on the right wing - the wrong place to play him. If he finds his fitness, stays un-injured and gets played central as CF then he may have something to offer…maybe. The odds are though that he’s not going to cut it in the Prem, but if he’s given a chance to prove otherwise it’s his to take.

There’s a continued huge gaping dilemma facing the club in terms of striker quality which has been magnified by a return to the Prem. To play Russball we will need to be able to score plenty of goals and currently we’re very light in that department. The club can hardly say it’s a problem that has suddenly materialised - it was very apparent well before it relegated us. Fingers crossed there’s a solution on the not too distant horizon.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, SaintTex said:

i am of the opinion Baz is responsible for his own confidence.

And at this point I am pretty damn convinced his confidence or his lack of confidence is not a factor that is going to put him over the edge to a quality PL GK.

You neglected to comment on the transfer fee part!

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I think if people get any more hysterical about Bazunu we’re going to be hearing about how he picks up the ball and hoofs it into his own net, six times a game, then goes home and murders some puppies.

Exactly! We know all too well who the Baz haters are, the only quesion is why they need to keep banging on and on about the lad having made their hatred obvious. Endless repetition of the same old mantra doesn't change anything, bores the rest of us senseless and undermines the lads sense of purpose and well-being. It amounts to bullying which would not be tolerated elsewhere but on this forum

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Exactly! We know all too well who the Baz haters are, the only quesion is why they need to keep banging on and on about the lad having made their hatred obvious. Endless repetition of the same old mantra doesn't change anything, bores the rest of us senseless and undermines the lads sense of purpose and well-being. It amounts to bullying which would not be tolerated elsewhere but on this forum

Thankfully for him (and the good of the club), he’s got a season out of the limelight and the abusers on the terraces will have someone else to swear at.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

This sums it up for me. It’s the style of play that’s wrong more than the actual goalkeeper. Whoever you have in goal has got to cover too many shots from too many different angles, most of them from his own defenders. And for why?

Because it draws the other team out and makes space for attacking moves

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I'm not a Baz hater at all. Just don't think he is a particularly good keeper. 

• Like 10

Martin on if he thinks Jan Bednarek will sign a new contract: “Yeah, I hope so. I think we're in discussions with him now. I think he's very, very happy.” @AlfieHouseEcho

Who'd have thought that'd be viewed unanimously as good news 18 months ago?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Not having this, he was equally shit in the prem playing differant tactics under three different managers 

he’s just a awful shot stopper who people try to rationalise his constant selection by looking at the less goalkeeper traits of his game like his passing ..

it’s not the system he is just poor 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Not having this, he was equally shit in the prem playing differant tactics under three different managers 

he’s just a awful shot stopper who people try to rationalise his constant selection by looking at the less goalkeeper traits of his game like his passing ..

it’s not the system he is just poor 

Agreed, his keeping in the PL was abysmal. Look at some of the goals we conceded. Dreadful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Diving over balls and getting down as quick as an OAP has fuck all to do with style of play and everything to do with lack of ability.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Baz Fl said:

Baldrick: I have a cunning plan m'lord. So cunning, that you could put a tail on it and mistake it for a Leicester nickname.

Club: Go on.

Baldrick: We play forwards based on their ability to defend corners.

Club: Nathan tried that.

Baldrick: We only pretend to sign forwards, confusing opponents with our 4-6-0 formation.

Club: Scotland tried that, and amazingly found even having Che and a fictional Stewart up front was an improvement.

Baldrick: We sign players for lots of different systems, so opponents are never sure what we'll do. A pacey player in a possession team or a tall forward who can't drop deep.

Club: Would you like to be director of football?

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Martin on if he thinks Jan Bednarek will sign a new contract: “Yeah, I hope so. I think we're in discussions with him now. I think he's very, very happy.” @AlfieHouseEcho

Who'd have thought that'd be viewed unanimously as good news 18 months ago?

Football fans have very short memories.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Believing a player not good enough and has a detrimental to the teams performance does not equate to hating them. I don’t hate him by any measure, but I do believe he was part of the reason we were relegated and I also believe his absence in the run in and playoffs was a large part of the reason we achieved promotion. He may become a top class keeper in the future, but he is nowhere near it at this stage. I doubt anyone posting here actually hates him.

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Agree Baz is pretty shite keeper ...his shots to save ratio is appalling. He is the goalkeeper equivalent to Mara ....shite !

3 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

It's interesting isn't it? I'm not sure how Bazunu has earned his cult following. Those that call out Mara for being ineffective aren't labelled "Mara haters". 

He seems to get a pass but he was brought in for £12m to be our number one and therefore that's inevitably how he will be judged. He'll be compared to what our rivals have. Players like David Raya, Bernd Leno, Alphonse Areola and Jose Sa were all signed for less money. It was a significant sum to spend on a goalkeeper for a club of our size. The most we've ever spent on a goalkeeper. Forster cost us £10m for instance.

Throwing a 20 year old with just a single season of league 1 experience between the sticks was a mistake of the management. I don't blame Bazunu for it. I certainly don't hate him for it. Nevertheless, at that price, he needed to come in and perform at a certain level. Unfortunately, he was clearly out of his depth.

Any benefits gained from his passing ability are off-set by the simple fact that his fundamentals as a goalkeeper simply aren't up to the required level.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 13

38 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's interesting isn't it? I'm not sure how Bazunu has earned his cult following. Those that call out Mara for being ineffective aren't labelled "Mara haters". 

He seems to get a pass but he was brought in for £12m to be our number one and therefore that's inevitably how he will be judged. He'll be compared to what our rivals have. Players like David Raya, Bernd Leno, Alphonse Areola and Jose Sa were all signed for less money. It was a significant sum to spend on a goalkeeper for a club of our size. The most we've ever spent on a goalkeeper. Forster cost us £10m for instance.

Throwing a 20 year old with just a single season of league 1 experience between the sticks was a mistake of the management. I don't blame Bazunu for it. I certainly don't hate him for it. Nevertheless, at that price, he needed to come in and perform at a certain level. Unfortunately, he was clearly out of his depth.

Any benefits gained from his passing ability are off-set by the simple fact that his fundamentals as a goalkeeper simply aren't up to the required level.

It isn't a cult following. He clearly isn't ready but there's obviously talent there. Keepers don't tend to come good until their mid 20s at least. He's got a long way to go.

But despite being currently poor he gets blamed for goals that no keeper would have had any chance in hell of stopping and when he makes a point blank save it gets totally ignored or branded "a save he should be making".

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

It isn't a cult following. He clearly isn't ready but there's obviously talent there. Keepers don't tend to come good until their mid 20s at least. He's got a long way to go.

But despite being currently poor he gets blamed for goals that no keeper would have had any chance in hell of stopping and when he makes a point blank save it gets totally ignored or branded "a save he should be making".

You've got to ask yourself why spent £12m on him to be first choice in the biggest league in the world when he was nowhere near the age, abilty or experience required.

"A long way to go" but first choice number 1 in the Premier League at 20-odd. Utter madness.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

That's the bottom line of it. He really does have a long way to go before he should be starting for us.

Edited by Disco Stu

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I keep hearing this but, aside from his distribution skills which are very good, I’m yet to see much in his glovesmanship which would elevate him above a mid level Championship level keeper. Young keepers will make mistakes but the really good ones (I.e. Premier League quality) consistently make saves where you think “how has he saved that?”. Those types of saves just haven’t happened with any sort of accumulation for Baz, either in the Premier League or the Championship.  I’ve rarely thought “what a shame Baz made that mistake because he was having a top notch game up to then”.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, St. Neil said:

We did exactly the same with Gunn (didn't he cost even more?) It's the one position you don't want to mess around with young potential unless they are Donnarumma levels.

Oh God you're right! Our recent track record of signing goalkeepers has been woeful. I look at the goalkeepers other clubs have and wonder wtf we've been playing at.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh God you're right! Our recent track record of signing goalkeepers has been woeful. I look at the goalkeepers other clubs have and wonder wtf we've been playing at.

Replace Goalkeepers with Strikers and it's the same track record. To put it blunt, our scouting and recruitment for permanent additions for too many years has been horrendous and is why we were relegated.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Because it draws the other team out and makes space for attacking moves

And if the other team doesn’t take the bait but just stick a couple up front to chase and harry?

Edited by Whitey Grandad

11 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I think Celtic are using Jota as a benchmark hence the quoted 25m - they want a transfer record amount. Not sure we will go to that esp all in one go. We’ll probably go to 18-19 in one go and the rest in performance stuff

I feel 19m + extras might be the deal here?

• Like 1

Goal and assist for O'Riley. Not that leaking little messages to local journalists was ever a good sign but we can rule this one out now. 😂

Edit: Not a double :D 

Edited by Fabrice29

21 hours ago, Turkish said:

I’m off to Denmark soon pal, any good golf courses?

Plenty. You shouldn't have to go far to find one whereever you are in Sjælland (Zealand), Jylland (Jutland) and Fyn (Funen) which are the three main regions in the kingdom of Denmark 😎 
In Northern Zealand (about 40 kilometers from Copenhagen) there is one that I have connections to via a good friend who is the main golf course prep guy there.

13 minutes ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

Plenty. You shouldn't have to go far to find one whereever you are in Sjælland (Zealand), Jylland (Jutland) and Fyn (Funen) which are the three main regions in the kingdom of Denmark 😎 
In Northern Zealand (about 40 kilometers from Copenhagen) there is one that I have connections to via a good friend who is the main golf course prep guy there.

You replied to this last night pal, one too many carlsbergs?

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1