Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

ahh the old arrogance of the self titled greatest league in the world!

Serie A is one of the top leagues in the world mate. It may not have the money of the premier league but outside of the top premier clubs it’s still very strong. Inter Milan were champions league finalists the season before last with 2 of the 4 semi finalists being form there. The last two winners and runners up in the Europa league came from Serie A, Atalanta were one of them, they have champions league football next year and have been challenging near the top of serie A for the last 8 years or so. They would be a very attractive option for a player, certainly as neutral you’d look at them or a team that’s struggled at the bottom half of the premier league and had a relegation in the last 5 years they would be a more attractive option.

All very reasoned, Turkish, but it could be argued he will have more opportunities to be in the spotlight and show off his talents with a Saints team playing against other premiership clubs teeming with internationals. I believe Matt O'Riley is Danish so may be open to playing outside the UK more than others, but look how Lavia shone in our team a couple of years ago and got a dream move...not that we're going to be a team full of crap like that season.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Can any of the club historians tell me if this is the first time we have signed a player with the same name as one of The Shoe People?

Not even close. According to Wikipedia: 

"Mr Potter is the station master of The Shoe Town Railway Station."

image.jpeg.fb43b9075b90491ac0017c3fbd820a20.jpeg

"Marshall is a cowboy who loves country and western music, loves Wild West films and does safekeeping around Shoe Town."

image.jpeg.e058cb28bc64397e64d04d3b8d4d4a7e.jpeg

"On the corner of Shoe Street lives Charlie, a clown."

image.jpeg.9e977bd3db41732ddbd362b3671e1a43.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, GastonRamirez said:

I wouldn't really say its an of course.

We can potentially pay him higher wages, reunite him with a manager he knows and spent 2 years playing for and also provide an easier way into bigger premier league sides providing that is what he wishes to achieve (I'd say from the fact he spent his entire youth and early career in England this could be likely).

And before someone makes the argument that Atalanta have European football, so do Celtic. 

I'm not sure two seasons fighting relegation with Saints is quite the shop window you think it is, vs. winning the Europa League and regularly qualifying for the CL knockout rounds (which Celtic haven't done in over a decade). It's not as if Atalanta haven't sold plenty of players to the likes of Spurs, Man United, Juventus and the two Milan clubs in recent years.

I seem to recall we were interested in Koopmeiners the summer he joined Atalanta. Based on his career since (and the transfer interest in him right now), you'd have a hard time saying he made the wrong choice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

I'm not sure two seasons fighting relegation with Saints is quite the shop window you think it is, vs. winning the Europa League and regularly qualifying for the CL knockout rounds (which Celtic haven't done in over a decade). It's not as if Atalanta haven't sold plenty of players to the likes of Spurs, Man United, Juventus and the two Milan clubs in recent years.

I seem to recall we were interested in Koopmeiners the summer he joined Atalanta. Based on his career since (and the transfer interest in him right now), you'd have a hard time saying he made the wrong choice.

Are you aware he played the full group stage for Celtic the past 2 seasons? 

But I never claimed he’d be at Southampton for 2 years if he chose to move this way anyway, could get relegated and he’d been gone by the end of the season. 

Anyway in the last 5 years, only 3 players have moved from Atalanta to good premier league sides. Hojlund, Diallo and Romero. And Hojlund did nothing to warrant the move he got.

All I’m saying is that a move to play with a manager you’ve already been with for 2 years in a favourable league might be a swaying point over choosing to join a team he may struggle to be a standout player at if he doesn’t want Atalanta to be his end goal. And the Champions League football isn’t something he hasn’t been used to for the 2 seasons he has been at Celtic.

Money talks and tonnes of players are moving from Stuttgart or Girona who got Champions League this season and moving to teams that didn’t because they get offered more money and they’d rather be somewhere else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

All very reasoned, Turkish, but it could be argued he will have more opportunities to be in the spotlight and show off his talents with a Saints team playing against other premiership clubs teeming with internationals. I believe Matt O'Riley is Danish so may be open to playing outside the UK more than others, but look how Lavia shone in our team a couple of years ago and got a dream move...not that we're going to be a team full of crap like that season.

Perhaps, although I assume he has family and friends in Middlesex given that's where he grew up which could play a factor. I think we could match Atalanta for wages and possibly even beat them on transfer fee and he won't need to learn a new language. Wishful thinking probably.

Edited by Disco Stu

We might not get O'Riley but if we don't it will be because he choses to go somewhere else rather than because we can't afford him. Every other PL side has record transfers in the mid 20millions at the very least so no doubt we could do the same if we feel its worth it.

In the case of O'Riley he has one season with good numbers in a shit league so whilst he is obviously a good player I can understand why the current bids from all teams seem to be more around the £15m mark.

26 minutes ago, GastonRamirez said:

Are you aware he played the full group stage for Celtic the past 2 seasons? 

Yes, and they haven't qualified for the knockout since 2012, whereas Atalanta have done it twice in the last 8 years and won another European competition.

I'm not saying O'Riley won't choose us - there's definitely a financial upside to playing in the PL, even if you're at one of the bottom clubs. But unless he absolutely backs himself to tear up the league, he'd probably be better off taking the next step in his career at a stable European club with a reputation for playing excellent football than foraging for scraps at the lower end of the PL getting dicked every week.

In short, let's hope his agent and everyone around him don't have his best interests at heart and push him to make a purely financial decision.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

Striker Colin Clark did ok for us 👍 Northern Ireland international I think he was.

He was a Clarke with an e, does that count?

we signed him Shortly after the 1986 year World Cup where he scored for Northern Ireland. It was front page news on the echo. I remember clearly my dad walking up the road coming home from work with an echo under his arm and me sitting outside the front door waiting for him as he and I did back then and him showing me it. I was 9 had been really into football for about 2 years but had been banging on about Colin Clarke after the Mexico World Cup. Happy days 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3

This’ll make some of you fell old. 32 years ago today Alan shearer left us for Blackburn for a then British record fee of £3.2m

with the money we signed Kerry Dixon, David Speedie, Perry Groves and Ken Monkou. One if four did well. Dixon and Speedie were definitely going to score more than shearer mind 🤦

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Danish but born in England. I guess it depends on his ambitions. He’s 23 so assume his next move will be for 2-3 years before getting a really big move when he’s 25/26 and in his prime. He’ll have a chance to prove himself in the premier league or have a chance to prove himself in Serie A and the champions league. Either way if he does well he’ll get a big move to a top club. Atalanta just about to sell Koopermeiners who they signed when he was also 23, to Juventus with Liverpool also sniffing around. I guess it’ll depend if he sees his long term future in the premier league or fancies a different style with an outside chance of winning a trophy 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Yes, and they haven't qualified for the knockout since 2012, whereas Atalanta have done it twice in the last 8 years and won another European competition.

I'm not saying O'Riley won't choose us - there's definitely a financial upside to playing in the PL, even if you're at one of the bottom clubs. But unless he absolutely backs himself to tear up the league, he'd probably be better off taking the next step in his career at a stable European club with a reputation for playing excellent football than foraging for scraps at the lower end of the PL getting dicked every week.

In short, let's hope his agent and everyone around him don't have his best interests at heart and push him to make a purely financial decision.

Yeah 😎

And Atalanta cannot match our wage offer, I'm pretty sure 👍  
and...

O'Riley potentially having a good season or two with us could be a master stroke for him compared to the Atalanta connection.
Atalanta most likely won't win anything domestically in Italy, nor will they win the CL (or Europe League (again) )  (neither will Celtic win anything in Europe) ..... ,
and playing in England -> O'Riley can, I imagine, with much more ease, catch the eye of bigger, richer PL clubs if he ultimately wants to sign for one of those (Chelsea 🙄 😒  🤢 )

O'Riley does prefer to play in the English PL according to serious Danish sources such as the highly rated Danish podcast Mediano!

And then there's the RM connection...,

so I'm quite optimistic that he could ultimately make the decision to sign for Saints and join up with Russel Martin.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

This’ll make some of you fell old. 32 years ago today Alan shearer left us for Blackburn for a then British record fee of £3.2m

with the money we signed Kerry Dixon, David Speedie, Perry Groves and Ken Monkou. One if four did well. Dixon and Speedie were definitely going to score more than shearer mind 🤦

Dixon, Speedie, Groves = shit. But thanks for mentioning Ken Monkou. He did a good job for us and was with us for around 7 years.. GOOD signing.
Nobody could head (clear) the ball longer than him.
We were 4-4 level with Norwich shortly before the final whistle in a "win or get lost" match when I took a shower because I was so nervous. 5 minutes later Norwich 4 - Saints 5. Kenny Monkou the goal scorer :)  Unforgettable 🥰

• Like 13

26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yep remember it well, and yes I’m old af apparently 🤣

13 minutes ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

Yeah 😎

And Atalanta cannot match our wage offer, I'm pretty sure 👍  
and...

O'Riley potentially having a good season or two with us could be a master stroke for him compared to the Atalanta connection.
Atalanta most likely won't win anything domestically in Italy, nor will they win the CL (or Europe League (again) )  (neither will Celtic win anything in Europe) ..... ,
and playing in England -> O'Riley can, I imagine, with much more ease, catch the eye of bigger, richer PL clubs if he ultimately wants to sign for one of those (Chelsea 🙄 😒  🤢 )

O'Riley does prefer to play in the English PL according to serious Danish sources such as the highly rated Danish podcast Mediano!

And then there's the RM connection...,

so I'm quite optimistic that he could ultimately make the decision to sign for Saints and join up with Russel Martin.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your perspective. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

Dixon, Speedie, Groves = shit. But thanks for mentioning Ken Monkou. He did a good job for us and was with us for around 7 years.. GOOD signing.
We were 4-4 level with Norwich shortly before the final whistle in a "win or get lost" match when I took a shower because I was so nervous. 5 minutes later Norwich 4 - Saints 5. Kenny Monkou the goal scorer :)  Unforgettable 🥰

I’m off to Denmark soon pal, any good golf courses?

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

I’m off to Denmark soon pal, any good golf courses?

Oh yes, plenty. I can actually help you visiting one - about  40 kilometers from central Copenhagen - as I know the main golf course prep guy there well, because we both work part time for the same football club - and you would be welcomed wholeheartedly I'm sure to that golf course.

6 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

A lot of wet trousers based on a tweet from some random Turkish chap with 5k followers.

I wouldn't say the reactions are just based on that, I think it's been pretty clear that's been the plan since he got injured. Stop gap signing until he's back.

5 minutes ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

Oh yes, plenty. I can actually help you visiting one - about  40 kilometers from central Copenhagen - as I know the main golf course prep guy there well, because we both work part time for the same football club - and you would be welcomed wholeheartedly I'm sure to that golf course.

I’ve been invited to a customer golf day on Jutland in August but I will likely decline as it’s a long drive I understand from Copenhagen but I’ll be over again in September or October on business. It is a great city with good people I enjoy my visits to there and Stockholm. I will also visit Malmo shortly where the swedes commute to Copenhagen from I understand 

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I’ve been invited to a customer golf day on Jutland in August but I will likely decline as it’s a long drive I understand from Copenhagen but I’ll be over again in September or October on business. It is a great city with good people I enjoy my visits to there and Stockholm. I will also visit Malmo shortly where the swedes commute to Copenhagen from I understand 

Jutland is a pretty long drive from Cph., yes, although by boat it's not that bad.
From Cph. Denmark to Malmo Sweden there's a bridge connecting the two - and a 30-45 minutes drive from Cph. Less than an hour by train.

Edited by Kristian Loekkegaard

4 hours ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

Jutland is a pretty long drive from Cph., yes, although by boat it's not that bad.
From Cph. Denmark to Malmo Sweden there's a bridge connecting the two - and a 30-45 minutes drive from Cph. Less than an hour by train.

I saw a brilliant Netflix series called The Bridge where a body was found half way in Denmark half in Sweden on the Oresund Bridge. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Forester said:

I hate to point this out, but do you think it would be helpful either to Baz’s confidence or a future transfer fee when we sell him, if we saw a different quote spun, along the lines of “Saints have decided Bazanu is shit, and need to get a loan in quickly with a view to getting rid of Bazanu”?😂😂😂

i am of the opinion Baz is responsible for his own confidence.

And at this point I am pretty damn convinced his confidence or his lack of confidence is not a factor that is going to put him over the edge to a quality PL GK.

Edited by SaintTex

6 hours ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

What a day that was! Down and out at 3-1 down then that last minute winner!

• Like 6

Can't be happening alot when i a forum about transfer window 2024 i now hear about Dixon, Speedie and Ken Monkou, didn't think we were after any of them:), and then a discussion about golfcourses in Denmark and the bridge to Sweden. 

No one is exited over two new Brazilians. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

And he scored a couple of worldies on debut for Blackburn at Selhurst Park.

IIRC, Speedie was instead of a sell on clause?! 

7 hours ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

I remember listening on the radio round my next door neighbours, I must have been about 11?

can’t remember what radio station it was but they always used to play the piano riff of Bruce Hornsby’s that’s just the way it is at the final whistle 👌

I don’t remember much but I remember it being a must win and celebrating like made when we scored 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dan Johnson said:

I remember listening on the radio round my next door neighbours, I must have been about 11?

can’t remember what radio station it was but they always used to play the piano riff of Bruce Hornsby’s that’s just the way it is at the final whistle 👌

I don’t remember much but I remember it being a must win and celebrating like made when we scored 

Radio Solent that is. In the old days they would play records and then cut into them with a the goal noise jingle whenever a goal went in. But you didn't know if it was for or against us (or if it was a goal you didn't care about at Dean Court). 

And then eventually they did second half commentary of one featured game (us Pompey or B'muff), but they couldn't tell you until after the kick off (so it didn't impact gate reciepts 😂), usually it was our game. 

This was very much my football consumption between the ages of 8-13

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 10

The Point of reference for Celtics’ valuation on O’Reilly is Dewsbury-Hall. Chelsea paid LCFC £30m and he’s now on £100k pw. 
If Celtic are holding out for £25M it’s about right. 

The romantic saints fan in me though thinks that IF Tyler Dibling gets a chance to play -regularly, Scores some, Assists Some and gets noticed running away from top EPL players -with the ball at his feet - at his age - then he’s a £40m-£50m player by end of season. The next Jude. Or the replacement Stu actually as far as driving runs for Saints are concerned 😁

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Radio Solent that it is. In the old days they would play records and then cut into them with a the goal noise jingle whenever a goal went in. But you didn't know if it was for or against us (or if it was a goal you didn't care about at Dean Court). 

And then eventually they did second half commentary of one featured game (us Pompey or B'muff), but they couldn't tell you until after the kick off (so it didn't impact gate reciepts 😂), usually it was our game. 

Remember the goal jingle well. The excitement of not knowing where the goal had been scored.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SaintTex said:

i am of the opinion Baz is responsible for his own confidence.

And at this point I am pretty damn convinced his confidence or his lack of confidence is not a factor that is going to put him over the edge to a quality PL GK.

Baz is an outfield player who plays in goal. 

Confidence plays little part in how crap he is as he doesn’t have the capability to be a premier league or football league keeper for that matter.

In the same way that no matter how confident I am, I will never be a premier league striker or brain surgeon.

Lets face it if he recovers he’s back as No. 1. Plain as day. I question if there has been a worse first choice keeper in the football league for the past two years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

The Point of reference for Celtics’ valuation on O’Reilly is Dewsbury-Hall. Chelsea paid LCFC £30m and he’s now on £100k pw. 
If Celtic are holding out for £25M it’s about right. 

The romantic saints fan in me though thinks that IF Tyler Dibling gets a chance to play -regularly, Scores some, Assists Some and gets noticed running away from top EPL players -with the ball at his feet - at his age - then he’s a £40m-£50m player by end of season. The next Jude. Or the replacement Stu actually as far as driving runs for Saints are concerned 😁

I think Celtic are using Jota as a benchmark hence the quoted 25m - they want a transfer record amount. Not sure we will go to that esp all in one go. We’ll probably go to 18-19 in one go and the rest in performance stuff

37 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Radio Solent that is. In the old days they would play records and then cut into them with a the goal noise jingle whenever a goal went in. But you didn't know if it was for or against us (or if it was a goal you didn't care about at Dean Court). 

I remember those days, and then eventually came along the invention of split commentaries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kjurwi said:

Can't be happening alot when i a forum about transfer window 2024 i now hear about Dixon, Speedie and Ken Monkou, didn't think we were after any of them:), and then a discussion about golfcourses in Denmark and the bridge to Sweden. 

No one is exited over two new Brazilians. 

These ones maybe

image.thumb.jpeg.71e2045b285d0315218b45fdea9831d3.jpeg

But to be honest they sound more like this

image.thumb.jpeg.fd851520ffec937ea4942a17bc8cabb4.jpeg

Maybe they are off to Valenciennes?

3 hours ago, Galway saint said:

Confidence plays little part in how crap he is as he doesn’t have the capability to be a premier league or football league keeper for that matter.

In the same way that no matter how confident I am, I will never be a premier league striker or brain surgeon.

Lets face it if he recovers he’s back as No. 1. Plain as day. I question if there has been a worse first choice keeper in the football league for the past two years.

Which makes you wonder if we should just dispense with the notion of playing a goal keeper and play a full eleven outfield players instead? Just give the best passer of the ball the keeper’s jersey.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Which makes you wonder if we should just dispense with the notion of playing a goal keeper and play a full eleven outfield players instead? Just give the best passer of the ball the keeper’s jersey.

Rush Goalie!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

I know it's based on what is punted but I'm sure Atalanta were odds on the other day to sign O'Riley, now we are. 

Screenshot_20240727-113300.png

Doesn’t mean much in that sort of market, just a couple of people would’ve bet on Saints and the odds can easily fluctuate. 

1 hour ago, Saint_Ash said:

I know it's based on what is punted but I'm sure Atalanta were odds on the other day to sign O'Riley, now we are. 

Screenshot_20240727-113300.png

25 minutes ago, Appy said:

Doesn’t mean much in that sort of market, just a couple of people would’ve bet on Saints and the odds can easily fluctuate. 

The betting odds probably swung in Saints favour when the bookies saw that the COT (was it Turkish?) had put up a green (Celtic's colours) Smiley (rhymes with O'Riley) on Saintsweb  🤣

(addition) Which leads me to wonder.......if we were to have a bet now on O'Riley coming to Saints, could we be "done" for having insider knowledge based on our association with the COT. Just a thought. 😧

Edited by Saint Keef
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Galway saint said:

Sweeper-Keeper:- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Goalkeeper_(association_football)&diffonly=true#Sweeper-keeper

On 25/07/2024 at 20:49, Wade Garrett said:

Absolutely it is ruthless.  Smallbone’s performances have merited him the opportunity to test himself on the top league.

If he’s not good enough, he won’t play.

Since when has RM chosen form over favourites? 

4 hours ago, Galway saint said:

I think if people get any more hysterical about Bazunu we’re going to be hearing about how he picks up the ball and hoofs it into his own net, six times a game, then goes home and murders some puppies.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

I think if people get any more hysterical about Bazunu we’re going to be hearing about how he picks up the ball and hoofs it into his own net, six times a game, then goes home and murders some puppies.

That's clearly an exaggeration but I would consider him to be a lower championship keeper. Certainly statistically.