Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

12 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

The reviews of Welington weren't much better. They both sound absolute dogshit by anyone's standards, including Goztepe's. 

This all smells very off. What's going on here? 

Somebody clearly has a beef with Wellington! 

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Hopefully we'll bring in a loan and they'll help Russell see sense in regards to giving No.1 back to Bazunu.

This. Bazunu means many points lost. McCarthy slightly fewer. Why are we still so blind on keepers? Lunacy

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CSA96 said:

Straight to Göztepe, you'd presume

"Wellington and Juan" sounds like a 1980's kids animated show....I have a vision of a young lad in a Duffle coat and wellies, always accompanied by his faithful but mischevious cat or dog.....

• Haha 4

Would either of them qualify for a work permit even if we did want them to come here?

Juan sounds like a Goztepe signing but not sure why Welington would have turned down a move to Torino to end up at a promoted Turkish club?

• Like 1

Just now, Dusic said:

Would either of them qualify for a work permit even if we did want them to come here?

If they both were regulars for Sao Paulo who played in the continental tournaments then most probably.

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Fuck sake. Watch us be outside the relegation zone with McCarthy in goal and then sink into it when Bazunu comes back.

I hate to point this out, but do you think it would be helpful either to Baz’s confidence or a future transfer fee when we sell him, if we saw a different quote spun, along the lines of “Saints have decided Bazanu is shit, and need to get a loan in quickly with a view to getting rid of Bazanu”?😂😂😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CSA96 said:

I try to be optimistic about any signings we make believing the management know what they are doing.......however i am really struggling to understand either signing and what either player could bring to Saints. 

I really would love to know who scouted these two and what the report said.....lets face it it would have been a miracle that any scout actually saw Juan score a goal given his horrendous record! 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I wonder if we are purchasing players and then making more money from the clubs in the SR group through loans etc.

Could be a half decent effort to generate additional revenue to help with PSR.

Yes, potentially - we did the same with Lis, he was signed with zero intention of ever playing for us. These kids will be the same I imagine, certainly Juan.

Clubs like us have to be clever with things these days, so there's a lot more to deals like this than them being a 'Southampton player', a Southampton income stream maybe, but probably never a player. We need to get our heads around that approach now that we're part of a multi-club model.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Don't see the merit in this, but they may prove me wrong and arrive here next season . Perhaps they’re bought with the Championship in mind !

But i don't understand the benefit of Saints signing them, unless the thought is that they'll come good in Turkey, and satisfy the work permit criteria. Alternatively why don't Goztepe sign them ?

Edited by Badger
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, James G said:

All teams have bad signings. Liverpool signed Keita for 50m, and ended up leaving on a free transfer. I don't think Paul is a bad player, he's just a victim of the Jones era and probably not suited to Russball

It just would have been nice to see if he could play russball. He was scoring for fun in Turkey.  He can't be any worse than che who if I'm honest was shit for us and worse for Scotland 

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Relegation here we come

The biggest non-surprise ever, the club were never going to sign a new first choice to potentially oust Bazunu - never happening. This was the opportunity to do it, but the club see something in Bazunu that no one else in football does.

I just want a keeper that makes saves, nothing spectacular, just saves. Bazunu doesn't make saves so I don't know why we're still pinning our future on him. Statistically the worst GK in England's top two leagues in the last two seasons, not even a close contest either - miles off the nearest. Good with the ball at his feet though.

I hope the club target a first team loan though and not a squad filler, but I have always had the feeling that we'll have McCarthy as first choice with a squad filler signed to cover Bazunu's absence. Count me surprised if we do anything different.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Would they pay more tax in Turkey or something? These signings clearly aren't intended to every be part of our squad. 

I read that it was to bring upto speed of the European game and then bring them to us later. A bit like the other Japanese guy and not enough fifa points to get a visa

1 hour ago, Midfield_General said:

The reviews of Welington weren't much better. They both sound absolute dogshit by anyone's standards, including Goztepe's. 

This all smells very off. What's going on here? 

The club are hoping to find a diamond in the rough. The problem is if you search in the rough you invariably find shit. 

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Forester said:

I hate to point this out, but do you think it would be helpful either to Baz’s confidence or a future transfer fee when we sell him, if we saw a different quote spun, along the lines of “Saints have decided Bazanu is shit, and need to get a loan in quickly with a view to getting rid of Bazanu”?😂😂😂

To be honest nobody is that gullible, every club in the championship last season saw him as potential match winner, apart from us.

• Like 2

The following report does not sound good!!

Southampton will face stern competition from Serie A club Atalanta for O’Riley this summer, according to Romano. The journalist claims the Celtic midfielder is eager to join the Europa League winners and there is a strong possibility a deal could be completed in the coming days.

Atalanta have already bolstered their midfield ranks with the addition of 24-year-old Davide Frattesi from Sassuolo. However, with the futures of Teun Koopmeiners and Ederson up in the air due to interest from Europe's top clubs, they appear eager to make further additions as they gear up for Champions League football next season.

Romano told GIVEMESPORT:

“The player is keen on a potential move to Atalanta. I think there is a concrete possibility for this deal to happen. Again, it’s difficult, but there are still negotiations and there’s a possibility it could happen in the next few days.”

• Sad 2

A lot of wet trousers based on a tweet from some random Turkish chap with 5k followers.

51 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The biggest non-surprise ever, the club were never going to sign a new first choice to potentially oust Bazunu - never happening. This was the opportunity to do it, but the club see something in Bazunu that no one else in football does.

I just want a keeper that makes saves, nothing spectacular, just saves. Bazunu doesn't make saves so I don't know why we're still pinning our future on him. Statistically the worst GK in England's top two leagues in the last two seasons, not even a close contest either - miles off the nearest. Good with the ball at his feet though.

I hope the club target a first team loan though and not a squad filler, but I have always had the feeling that we'll have McCarthy as first choice with a squad filler signed to cover Bazunu's absence. Count me surprised if we do anything different.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This. Absolutely. McCarthy keeping the gloves warm until Baz is fit. I don't think we will see any movement on the keepers at all. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, mikee said:

The relationship on the pitch between Ronnie and Matty was the best I have ever seen live. I remember an away game at Coventry where Ronnie did an amazing piece of skill and setup a goal - i think for Matt - and then turned to the away fans and took a bow!

True 👍 
Great memories 👍  I watched that exact goal from the past against Coventry at Highfield Road - about 6 weeks ago on Danish viaplay, who showed Danish PL goals 😎 
It was Ronnie who scored (from Matts? or Dowies? brilliant assist). I certainly remember Ron running to the fans, taking a bow and celebrating the goal.

I hope we are many who loved the Alan Ball management era.

I will try to find that particular goal vs Coventry, link it here, and bring out a toast for Alan Ball (R.I.P.).
Alan Ball found Ronnie E. in Barcelona, got the loan deal over the line and "Bally" was most likely the main cause MLT had probably his two best seasons of his long career under Ballys management.
Bally gave Matty responsibility (the armband) and freedom for brilliance on the pitch and created that great relationsship between Ronnie and Matty,

Edited by Kristian Loekkegaard
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

This. Absolutely. McCarthy keeping the gloves warm until Baz is fit. I don't think we will see any movement on the keepers at all. 

Its thanks ton Bazunu's injury that we are promoted.

• Like 8

On 12/07/2024 at 19:20, S-Clarke said:

Ramsdale is a great goalkeeper but is not good with the ball at his feet allegedly and this is why Arsenal bought Raya. We know that RM is hell bent on playing it out from the back and therefore I honestly think if he was a freebie Russ wouldn’t fancy him!! Crackers I know, but I just can’t see him at SMS.

Just now, bangkoksaint said:
On 12/07/2024 at 19:20, S-Clarke said:

Ramsdale is a great goalkeeper but is not good with the ball at his feet allegedly and this is why Arsenal bought Raya. We know that RM is hell bent on playing it out from the back and therefore I honestly think if he was a freebie Russ wouldn’t fancy him!! Crackers I know, but I just can’t see him at SMS.

Sorry I don’t know what happened there! S-Clarke didn’t write that, I did!! Tech error somewhere!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Madness if so. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Forester said:

I don't really care, we should be signing a keeper to be number one and then Bazunus needs to fight his way back in. He was sub par to begin with and we have no idea how he'll actually recover. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

True 👍 
Great memories 👍  I watched that exact goal from the past against Coventry at Highfield Road - about 6 weeks ago on Danish viaplay, who showed Danish PL goals 😎 
It was Ronnie who scored (from Matts? or Dowies? brilliant assist). I certainly remember Ron running to the fans, taking a bow and celebrating the goal.

I hope we are many who loved the Alan Ball management era.

I will try to find that particular goal vs Coventry, link it here, and bring out a toast for Alan Ball (R.I.P.).
Alan Ball found Ronnie E. in Barcelona, got the loan deal over the line and "Bally" was most likely the main cause MLT had probably his two best seasons of his long career under Ballys management.
Bally gave Matty responsibility (the armband) and freedom for brilliance on the pitch and created that great relationsship between Ronnie and Matty,

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Southampton will face stern competition from Serie A club Atalanta for O’Riley this summer, according to Romano. The journalist claims the Celtic midfielder is eager to join the Europa League winners and there is a strong possibility a deal could be completed in the coming days.

Atalanta have already bolstered their midfield ranks with the addition of 24-year-old Davide Frattesi from Sassuolo. However, with the futures of Teun Koopmeiners and Ederson up in the air due to interest from Europe's top clubs, they appear eager to make further additions as they gear up for Champions League football next season.

Romano told GIVEMESPORT:

“The player is keen on a potential move to Atalanta. I think there is a concrete possibility for this deal to happen. Again, it’s difficult, but there are still negotiations and there’s a possibility it could happen in the next few days.”

Of course he would rather go to Atalanta. Our only hope is if they don't cough up enough money. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I don't really care, we should be signing a keeper to be number one and then Bazunus needs to fight his way back in. He was sub par to begin with and we have no idea how he'll actually recover. 

I'll add to this actually that I can't remember ever seeing a keeper come back from a long term injury and be as good as he was before it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Of course he would rather go to Atalanta. Our only hope is if they don't cough up enough money. 

I wouldn't really say its an of course.

We can potentially pay him higher wages, reunite him with a manager he knows and spent 2 years playing for and also provide an easier way into bigger premier league sides providing that is what he wishes to achieve (I'd say from the fact he spent his entire youth and early career in England this could be likely).

And before someone makes the argument that Atalanta have European football, so do Celtic. 

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

I'll add to this actually that I can't remember ever seeing a keeper come back from a long term injury and be as good as he was before it.

Trouble is we can’t afford Bazunu coming back to be “ as good as he was before”.
He has to come back much improved. 

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Yes, potentially - we did the same with Lis, he was signed with zero intention of ever playing for us. These kids will be the same I imagine, certainly Juan.

Clubs like us have to be clever with things these days, so there's a lot more to deals like this than them being a 'Southampton player', a Southampton income stream maybe, but probably never a player. We need to get our heads around that approach now that we're part of a multi-club model.

They are not kids. Both in their early 20s

• Like 2

Russell Martin on Matt O'Riley [Daily Echo]

"Matty is someone I had a brilliant relationship with when I worked with him.

"I tried to take him to Swansea and it would have been incredible business for them, as it has been for Celtic. I stay in touch with a lot of the players I work with. He's on a long list of players that I still stay in touch with and watch with pride at what they've done and got on to do.

"We'll have to wait and see. We are not in a position where we're going to go & spend absolutely huge sums of money on players. I think Celtic want a lot of money for Matty as would I, as any club would for one of their top performers."

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

Trouble is we can’t afford Bazunu coming back to be “ as good as he was before”.
He has to come back much improved. 

That's why we can't afford to not sign a new keeper. 

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

I think playing in the premier league for a manager you know would be quite a draw. In fact, I'm sure to many players that would be preferable to upping sticks and playing in an inferior league albeit with a couple of European games in a season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

I think playing in the premier league for a manager you know would be quite a draw. In fact, I'm sure to many players that would be preferable to upping sticks and playing in an inferior league albeit with a couple of European games in a season.

ahh the old arrogance of the self titled greatest league in the world!

Serie A is one of the top leagues in the world mate. It may not have the money of the premier league but outside of the top premier clubs it’s still very strong. Inter Milan were champions league finalists the season before last with 2 of the 4 semi finalists being form there. The last two winners and runners up in the Europa league came from Serie A, Atalanta were one of them, they have champions league football next year and have been challenging near the top of serie A for the last 8 years or so. They would be a very attractive option for a player, certainly as neutral you’d look at them or a team that’s struggled at the bottom half of the premier league and had a relegation in the last 5 years they would be a more attractive option.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

True we overpaid for Onuachu, especially given his age although his transfer fee is so much lower now partially because we can't shift him on his wages. Apparently he's handed in a tranfer request and will only consider Trabzonspor. I guess that drops the transfer fee even lower as he's likely forfieted recieving the remainder of his signing on fee to help push the move through.

Trabz dont want ya TP.....

Trabzonspor boss comments on Wout Weghorst interest

Often, managers aren't keen to name specific individuals when talking about transfer targets, but Avci wasn't shy about naming Weghorst as a potential option and namechecked Southampton loanee Paul Onuachu as the type of signing he was keen to avoid.

He told Isci Haber (via Turkish Football😞 "We did not get enough of Onuachu last season.

"He first went to the African Cup with the Nigerian national team, then suffered an injury.

"I don’t want to face the same problems again, that’s why Weghorst is a name that suits us better. If we finalise his transfer, it will be an important development for us."

21 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Andreas Georgson, the set piece coach who was with us for hardly any time has just landed a role at United.

And Lemina made Wolves captain (wtf)

Seems like Lemina has really knuckled down there. Always had the talent to be fair. 

16 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Seems like Lemina has really knuckled down there. Always had the talent to be fair. 

Yep. No doubt on the talent. The attitude always seemed shitty in his time with us.

Can't quite allow myself to type "good luck to the lad."

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Romano told GIVEMESPORT:

He also claimed that Leicester had appointed Graham Potter the day before they appointed Steve Cooper. He's a glorified Alex Crook. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2