Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 minute ago, a1ex2001 said:

Nice blast from the past, sadly at 40+ years of age and having been retired for over a decade I'm not sure he's got the legs for top flight football anymore!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruud_Knol

More importantly has Rudi Skacel signed yet? are we still looking at that Spanish winger and has Rupert completed negotiations with Bierhoff yet?

Those were the days of real summer transfer rumours!

That Bierhoff bloke would be a good option for CF as well.

• Haha 1

Did the Skacel saga last as long as its sometimes made out to have gone on?

From memory, we signed him from Hearts because George Burley had most recently worked with him there. We appointed Burley in Dec 2005 and presented Skacel as a new signing in a friendly the week before the season started. I want to say it was against Panathinaikos but I wouldn't swear to it. That would have been early August 2006.

So only 7 months or so I can think of much longer sagas. We've just spent a year trying to get Wood. (Oh matron/giggity)

Edited by Bad Wolf

13 hours ago, Turkish said:

We paid way more for TP than we bid for O’Reliey and he’s worth about 20 quid 

True we overpaid for Onuachu, especially given his age although his transfer fee is so much lower now partially because we can't shift him on his wages. Apparently he's handed in a tranfer request and will only consider Trabzonspor. I guess that drops the transfer fee even lower as he's likely forfieted recieving the remainder of his signing on fee to help push the move through.

Edited by Disco Stu

43 minutes ago, CampionSaint said:

I guess you've got to add a "loan fee" in the mix so depends what that will be.  I'm sure that will be at least £3m.

I think there would be a loan fee. One would pay wages within the club structure then the fee covers the rest, so it'd be 3m at least I would guess. It would be a great signing though

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

he is but not much can top Stu Romsey Saints tweet about Leeds in the run up to the play off final. Some big nets needed that week 🤣

I studied in Leeds for 4 years ages ago, I went to one Leeds match but it was the scariest thing ever lol. On the way home, there were fans vandalising phone boxes and front gardens. There were people standing in the road and acting aggressive towards car drivers. It wasn't good

5 minutes ago, James G said:

I studied in Leeds for 4 years ages ago, I went to one Leeds match but it was the scariest thing ever lol. On the way home, there were fans vandalising phone boxes and front gardens. There were people standing in the road and acting aggressive towards car drivers. It wasn't good

Sounds like a night out in Portsmouth 

• Haha 1

We paid €18m (plus add ons which I would assume have not been met) for Onuachu on a 3.5 year deal. Books wise he’s amortised at €5.14m per season.

Loan fee last season was €1.5m. Sounds like €7m is the most we will achieve on a transfer fee. So €9.5m loss minimum.

Transfermarkt values him as €13m. He’s definitely making the list as one of our worst signings ever.

15 hours ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

Ronnie E was class. Thanks for bringing his name up 👍

The relationship on the pitch between Ronnie and Matty was the best I have ever seen live. I remember an away game at Coventry where Ronnie did an amazing piece of skill and setup a goal - i think for Matt - and then turned to the away fans and took a bow!

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Relegation here we come

Hopefully we'll bring in a loan and they'll help Russell see sense in regards to giving No.1 back to Bazunu.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 2

Logically this report that we have now agreed personal terms with o'reilly leads me to suspect the club are going to agree the fee shortly.

Atalanta seem to be looking elsewhere at present as well according to Corrielle dello Sport who have listed that Atalanta are ready to turn their attentions to the Norwich's Gabriel Sara if they cannot strike a deal with Celtic for Matt O’Riley.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

We paid €18m (plus add ons which I would assume have not been met) for Onuachu on a 3.5 year deal. Books wise he’s amortised at €5.14m per season.

Loan fee last season was €1.5m. Sounds like €7m is the most we will achieve on a transfer fee. So €9.5m loss minimum.

Transfermarkt values him as €13m. He’s definitely making the list as one of our worst signings ever.

All teams have bad signings. Liverpool signed Keita for 50m, and ended up leaving on a free transfer. I don't think Paul is a bad player, he's just a victim of the Jones era and probably not suited to Russball

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

How have you worked that out? Any incoming loan keeper, for example Ramsdale could be our starting keeper.

He is the TSW's resident Marvin the Paranoid Android.....

Edited by miserableoldgit
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, James G said:

Get a grip you pussy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

How have you worked that out? Any incoming loan keeper, for example Ramsdale could be our starting keeper.

We could actually drop Ramsdale this season for Baz....madness 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Logically this report that we have now agreed personal terms with o'reilly leads me to suspect the club are going to agree the fee shortly.

Atalanta seem to be looking elsewhere at present as well according to Corrielle dello Sport who have listed that Atalanta are ready to turn their attentions to the Norwich's Gabriel Sara if they cannot strike a deal with Celtic for Matt O’Riley.

Sara is a player we should consider signing. If RM is still unsure about Charles, he could possibly go the other way as part of a deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I think you are getting ahead of yourself Alex.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Re Ramsdale wages and loan fee etc. Genuine question ..... isn't a loan fee often just a way of a club paying the player's wages?  So if we paid all his 120k a week would there necessarily be a loan fee on top? Whereas paying a loan fee then covering say 'only' 75k of his wages would effectively still pay all of arsenal's  costs but not appear to break our wage structure.

20 minutes ago, James G said:

All teams have bad signings. Liverpool signed Keita for 50m, and ended up leaving on a free transfer. I don't think Paul is a bad player, he's just a victim of the Jones era and probably not suited to Russball

I agree he’s not a bad player when used on a style that suits his strengths. But in the context of Southampton FC, we signed him to score the goals to keep us up, then decided he didn’t fit the style. 11 apps, no goals and circa €10m loss. Bit of a disaster signing!

12 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

Re Ramsdale wages and loan fee etc. Genuine question ..... isn't a loan fee often just a way of a club paying the player's wages?  So if we paid all his 120k a week would there necessarily be a loan fee on top? Whereas paying a loan fee then covering say 'only' 75k of his wages would effectively still pay all of arsenal's  costs but not appear to break our wage structure.

Sometimes you pay a percentage of the players wages, and sometimes you pay all the wages. Sometimes you pay all the wages and a fee to the loaning on top. No matter which it is, I think the club loaning in don't actually pay the player his wages directly. The cost of the loan (wages and any additional loan fee, if there is one) will see money move from one club directly to the other (possibly in chunks/monthly). The owning club will be the ones actually paying the player his wages directly - that responsibility doesn't change to the loaning club. So, no matter what shape the loan takes, you could say the total payment between the clubs is a `loan fee', even if there isn't an actual fee on top of the agreed percentage of wages being paid.

Having said all that, I always wonder how it works if the club loaning a player in wants to discipline that player in terms of say a week's wages? How do they do that if they don't pay the players wages directly to him? 

Maybe I have got it all wrong.

Edited by Chez

53 minutes ago, mikee said:

The relationship on the pitch between Ronnie and Matty was the best I have ever seen live. I remember an away game at Coventry where Ronnie did an amazing piece of skill and setup a goal - i think for Matt - and then turned to the away fans and took a bow!

Ronnie Ekelund had an amazing game at Coventry including one of the best team goals ever scored. However, the bow was at Maine Road.

West Ham's move for Bayern Munich right-back Noussair Mazraoui has broken down.

An agreement had been reached between the clubs but it's thought financials and details around the contract couldn't be agreed upon.

West Ham are now pursuing other targets

KWP back on their list?

6 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

The chances of Arsenal loaning him out to a team chasing Champions League places would seem remote tbh

Also he wants to play he’s not going to go anywhere without a guarantee of that which he won’t get there 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Fuck sake. Watch us be outside the relegation zone with McCarthy in goal and then sink into it when Bazunu comes back.

Old crisp packet wrists back to secure better chances of relegation 

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Wow you’ve out bed wetted the bedwetters . Congratulations. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Juan sounds promising: 

HIS PROBLEM IS THAT HE IS NOT A FOOTBALL PLAYER, HE SHOULD CHOOSE ANOTHER PROFESSION AND STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE THREE-TIME WORLD CHAMPION....

If you could bet on any of these betting sites that Juan would miss a goal, you could get rich!

Juan is the most consistent player on the team. He misses at least one goal every game.

MY GOD WHAT HORROR, IT'S THE WORST PERFORMANCE BY A PLAYER IN 2024 LOL

Put a cone up front!! At least the ball will hit it and could go in the goal! Now if it hits Juan it will go out or it could be a foul!!

• Haha 7

10 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

Has there been a concrete link with Ramsdale, other than the pictures of him at Wembley? 

No, although the Ugly Inside did a rather convoluted article suggesting if he left Arsenal on a loan deal we were the only choice 🙄

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Juan sounds promising: 

HIS PROBLEM IS THAT HE IS NOT A FOOTBALL PLAYER, HE SHOULD CHOOSE ANOTHER PROFESSION AND STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE THREE-TIME WORLD CHAMPION....

If you could bet on any of these betting sites that Juan would miss a goal, you could get rich!

Juan is the most consistent player on the team. He misses at least one goal every game.

MY GOD WHAT HORROR, IT'S THE WORST PERFORMANCE BY A PLAYER IN 2024 LOL

Put a cone up front!! At least the ball will hit it and could go in the goal! Now if it hits Juan it will go out or it could be a foul!!

The reviews of Welington weren't much better. They both sound absolute dogshit by anyone's standards, including Goztepe's. 

This all smells very off. What's going on here?