Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

looked pretty poor in the Watford game if you ask me. I agree though a lot of potential.

Really? The cup game at home? I thought he was brilliant. Never looked like losing the ball, ran at players and for a player without stand out pace just glided past people

Edited by kevdoh

On 24/07/2024 at 11:33, Holmes_and_Watson said:

When I see the regular reports of Barca in financial meltdown, and looking to offload players, I think of Ronnie Ekelund and wonder if could pick up a gem cheaply or on loan.

Ronnie E was class. Thanks for bringing his name up 👍

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Chez said:

then perhaps he should have signed a contract with one less year on it.

Next year he can walk for free and we can done fuck all about it. This year it's up to the club if they want to price him out of the market or sell him at a lower amount.

And this year he is injured all year.

17 minutes ago, kevdoh said:

Really? The cup game at home? I thought he was brilliant. Never looked like losing the ball, ran at players and for a player without stand out pace just glided past people.

He's probably referring to the away game where he struggled a bit but the whole side was really poor that day until we made some subs towards the end. 

As you say, he was very very impressive in the reverse fixture.

Edited by Harry_SFC

17 minutes ago, kevdoh said:

Really? The cup game at home? I thought he was brilliant. Never looked like losing the ball, ran at players and for a player without stand out pace just glided past people

No, the away game. Total non entity. I didn't see the replay. Sounds like a missed a treat.

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Bet365 and PaddyPower seem to have stopped taking bets on O’Riley’s next club. I think Atalanta were the shortest odds beforehand… It’s giving Gakpo.

I think this just happens in the evenings so that they aren't caught out over night. Edit: In fact you can still bet on it.

Edited by Fabrice29

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Anyway back to O'reilly.

Honestly i always fined it hard to gauge SPL players values, yes he has good returns up there but how do you grade that v say the premier league ?

Virgil was obvious, vic was a destroyer but goals and assists up there is always hard to judge.

We aren't the sort of club to take a risk but i guess if Russ wants him, he knows his quality from MK we just have to support, but doesn't sound like a deal is close at all, wonder if celtic will take 18M + add on's but i'd be loathe to go higher myself.

For comparison Stuey Armstrong in one of his seasons got 15 goals and 7 assists, dont have a stat for losing the ball in the centre circle to compare though.

O'Riley was very consistent in League One with MK Dons (I know not saying much due to the league) but he was a consistent high performer without the high G/A. 

Since then at Celtic he has pushed those performances a step further and even has featured 12 times in the Champions league and in last seasons' campaign he provided 3 assists in the CL. Considering Celtic only scored 5 overall in their 6 games i'd say 3 assists against top European sides in a struggling side along with some very strong performances on a consistent basis definitely makes him worth having a proper go at getting.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Chez said:

No, the away game. Total non entity. I didn't see the replay. Sounds like a missed a treat.

The home game he was our best player despite continually getting booted up in the air

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Wonder how long Fraser and Newcastle at logger heads for.

Been quiet for a few weeks, assume hes training with their youth team or something.

It seems he is training with the youngsters, yes, No deal until' we've played vs N'Castel I suppose....
Eddie Howe is not such a decent fella I think

Edited by Kristian Loekkegaard
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, GastonRamirez said:

O'Riley was very consistent in League One with MK Dons (I know not saying much due to the league) but he was a consistent high performer without the high G/A. 

Since then at Celtic he has pushed those performances a step further and even has featured 12 times in the Champions league and in last seasons' campaign he provided 3 assists in the CL. Considering Celtic only scored 5 overall in their 6 games i'd say 3 assists against top European sides in a struggling side along with some very strong performances on a consistent basis definitely makes him worth having a proper go at getting.

Yes. And O'Rileys stats from last season is even better that Stu Armstrongs best season up there. And most of us loved Stu. So - I certainly hope we get O'Riley. With the RM connection to him and all...
Maybe a last second deal in the transfer window? We are allowed to hope. 

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Not sure if @Ted Bates Statueis ted bates on Celtic talk but whoever is seems to be doing a good job of pissing off Celtic fans.

As a tribute to the original statue, I like to think I would have done a much better job in a fraction of the posts. I don't think it's him, but that stuff over there is more MLG's realm. I can barely remember my login for this site, let alone that of a club that most of us don't give a shit about except when we're about to sign one of their players.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Chez said:

Ah ok. I didn't see the first game. I took my 9 year old daughter to the replay as her first ever game, mainly because it was cheap and expected her to want to leave but she loved it and and even she made comments about how good he was. Meghoma as well was brilliant that game. We have some decent youngsters if we don't play them then we lose our reputation as giving a pathway to players like these. Amo-ameyaw is another I'd hate to lose. Was in and about team last year at the start and had one bad game which he started and that was it. How can youngsters perform knowing that one bad game could be the last?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

As a tribute to the original statue, I like to think I would have done a much better job in a fraction of the posts. I don't think it's him, but that stuff over there is more MLG's realm. I can barely remember my login for this site, let alone that of a club that most of us don't give a shit about except when we're about to sign one of their players.

Funny you should say that. I remember MLG went onto another site once, IIRC it was Burnley or Blackburn and made a bit of a cock of himself. I think he may have also ventured onto a Man City forum as well and tried to argue that Lambert was better than Aguero 🤣🤣

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, notnowcato said:

I find it refreshing that he'll give his honest opinion and not be swayed by previous allegiances.  I also think he can go fuck himself.

81 smiley faces and 4 likes, we have a new King of the forum, let’s pray Turkish doesn’t see this, he will be incandescent with rage.                                                                                                                                       Edit. Note to self, read to the end of the thread before posting 

Edited by Saint Marky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Saint Marky said:

81 smiley faces and 4 likes, we have a new King of the forum, let’s pray Turkish doesn’t see this, he will be incandescent with rage.

I’ve seen it and it was rigged

i am still the official LOL emoji king of saintsweb 

great to see SOGs Turkish klaxon went off 😃

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

20 m for Oriley still seems a bit wishful  thinking Imo. They have received 25m for both tierney and jota so if ORiley is really the best thing since VVD I don’t see why they would be accepting less here 

Yeah, granted it was a winter signing, but if we rated Sulemana at £22m then £25m for O'Riley is probably not unreasonable. I'd hope we could structure that deal to be slightly more favourable though.

Edited by Disco Stu

33 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah, granted it was a winter signing, but if we rated Sulemana at £22m then £25m for O'Riley is probably not unreasonable. I'd hope we could structure that deal to be slightly more favourable though.

We paid way more for TP than we bid for O’Reliey and he’s worth about 20 quid 

20 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

£120k. I reckon I misheard as £75k seems cheap.

I'd of thought Arsenal would want all of his wages paid and a loan fee. Whether they'd get it is a different matter. 

On 24/07/2024 at 10:33, Holmes_and_Watson said:

When I see the regular reports of Barca in financial meltdown, and looking to offload players, I think of Ronnie Ekelund and wonder if could pick up a gem cheaply or on loan.

Romeu alongside Downes...?

Preface this by saying I 100% don’t want KWP or Jan to leave.

BUT if they are not sold then they must get a contract extension.

That includes a big pay rise also. Cos what’s the point of resigning on then? 

Both are starters for Saints - both, I hope, will be keen to make amends for last time around in the EPL - but neither can do that, IMO, without extended contracts.

Why?

Because fully-committed-to -our-club players prepared to go into potentially career threatening challenges for us - without hesitation - are what we want. And will NEED. Not defenders increasingly concerned about keeping healthy for the next club deal as season progresses. 

I hope, like with AA and AM we hear about new contracts for those two. But if not. Sell them now. 

• Like 3

I would think any suitors for KWP and also Onuachu are quite happy to play the waiting game, they'd know we need to sell so they can just bide their time till the price drops. I'd love to keep KWP but I think the club have made their minds up and already replaced him and other clubs will know that we need to recoup some funds to strengthen other areas. Both WHU and Spurs will likely see him as a very good back-up at a great price towards the end of the window. Others will also be aware we desperately need to bring in a competent striker and will need to shift Tall Paul to do so. We may have to remain patient.

• Like 1

Apparently Arsenal are willing to let Nketiah go, which if true, is a deal we should absoutely be all over. 

The sort of player we should be looking at and ones that have been a big success for us in the past (Bertrand, KWP, Romeu, Ings). Premier leauge experience for big clubs, but not able quite able to nail down a regular starting spot. 

I'd imagine you'd be looking at £25m+, but I think he'd be a great signing for a huge number of sides in this leauge. 

• Like 2

If Saints genuinely have the chance to bring in Ramsdale and BBD on loan you'd hope the club will be currently moving heaven and earth to do the deals.  These two plus O'Riley would give the supporters and our chances of staying up a superb turbo boost!    

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

If Saints genuinely have the chance to bring in Ramsdale and BBD on loan you'd hope the club will be currently moving heaven and earth to do the deals.  These two plus O'Riley would give the supporters and our chances of staying up a superb turbo boost!    

the first two are an absolute no brainer if the figures muted are correct. O'Riley it seems like we really want, it sounds like a lot of money for us but that's bottom end premier league money for a decent player these days.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Romeu alongside Downes...?

We did bring back Lallana, so..(caveat of his legs not having fallen off, although that hasn't stopped SR).

Downes/ Charles/ Romeu

Smallbone/ Lallana

Aribo/ Alcaraz / O'Riley?

Or variations, depending on formation.

38 minutes ago, Dman said:

Apparently Arsenal are willing to let Nketiah go, which if true, is a deal we should absoutely be all over. 

The sort of player we should be looking at and ones that have been a big success for us in the past (Bertrand, KWP, Romeu, Ings). Premier leauge experience for big clubs, but not able quite able to nail down a regular starting spot. 

I'd imagine you'd be looking at £25m+, but I think he'd be a great signing for a huge number of sides in this leauge. 

Would be great but I’d imagine his wage demands would be well beyond us. 

Alfie House on Matt O'Riley: Minor update but personal terms should be no problem now, sounds like all sides happy on that front. Doesn’t mean anything will happen, still a way to go inc. meeting Celtic valuation and of course beating any other interested clubs but just to keep you in loop.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

Alfie House on Matt O'Riley: Minor update but personal terms should be no problem now, sounds like all sides happy on that front. Doesn’t mean anything will happen, still a way to go inc. meeting Celtic valuation and of course beating any other interested clubs but just to keep you in loop.

Sounds encouraging 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Cynic in me thinks this is setting the narrative that we had agreed everything with the player, he wanted to come but Celtic didn't play ball. Not our fault we didn't land him etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

Cynic in me thinks this is setting the narrative that we had agreed everything with the player, he wanted to come but Celtic didn't play ball. Not our fault we didn't land him etc.

I think it's far more likely we agree a fee, but then a much bigger/better club comes out of nowhere (likely a La Liga/Serie A side) and matches the offer, giving O'Riley a decision to make 

Edited by CSA96

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

Funny you should say that. I remember MLG went onto another site once, IIRC it was Burnley or Blackburn and made a bit of a cock of himself. I think he may have also ventured onto a Man City forum as well and tried to argue that Lambert was better than Aguero 🤣🤣

This sort of post just doesn't feel complete without a gormless confused emoji from the master debater, so I felt compelled to apply one myself.

Still think he's best value on Twitter, engaging enraging random fans of other teams at will.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

I think it's far more likely we agree a fee, but then a much bigger/better club comes out of nowhere (likely a La Liga/Serie A side) and matches the offer, giving O'Riley a decision to make 

But would he get the game time at a bigger club? Or, would he be satisfied to earn more and play less?

Potentially the parallel to Kyle’s position.

6 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

It would really be nice if we signed not loaned a top class player with no connection with the club

Does not seem to have happened for years

Graham Hiley reporting that 26yo Dutch CB Ruud Knol is of interest.

Contract up at Vitesse Arnhem so would be a freebie. Joining up at Staplewood for a trial next week.

Not sure we need another CB but no harm looking I guess.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

This sort of post just doesn't feel complete without a gormless confused emoji from the master debater, so I felt compelled to apply one myself.

Still think he's best value on Twitter, engaging enraging random fans of other teams at will.

he is but not much can top Stu Romsey Saints tweet about Leeds in the run up to the play off final. Some big nets needed that week 🤣

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 10

22 minutes ago, John B said:

It would really be nice if we signed not loaned a top class player with no connection with the club

Does not seem to have happened for years

True, the last one I can think of is VVD and that was 9 years ago (where the hell has that time gone?).

I think it's also indicative of the changing football landscape and how we've somewhat been left behind financially. From a financial standpoint loans may be all we can really afford, if we want those 'top of the tree' type players (that are out of favour at their current clubs). 

We seem pretty much set in the 15-20m market and have been since for ever. Defo value to be had in there, but the real top players (VVD's of this year etc) are now north of £25m at best.

Will be interesting to see what happens with O'Riley, but it does sound as if we are still playing around in that £15-20m ballpark with him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Contract up at Vitesse Arnhem so would be a freebie. Joining up at Staplewood for a trial next week.

I've been transported back to 2006 again.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Welcome to 18 years ago.

Edited by disconnect

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think it's also indicative of the changing football landscape and how we've somewhat been left behind financially. From a financial standpoint loans may be all we can really afford, if we want those 'top of the tree' type players (that are out of favour at their current clubs). 

I agree

I just went to a family where my wife's family members who were closet Brentford fans are now going on about Brentford and watching games instead of supporting Chelsea like they used to do

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Master Bates said:

£120k. I reckon I misheard as £75k seems cheap.

Weren't we paying Forster around 100k - and JWP? So a similar amount for a top keeper like Ramsdale now we're back in the Premier doesn't seem out of the question, especially if there's no transfer fee.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, John B said:

I agree

I just went to a family where my wife's family members who were closet Brentford fans are now going on about Brentford and watching games instead of supporting Chelsea like they used to do

should be family wedding

13 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

yeah defo MLG, they are discussing attendance sizes and twitter followers.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

Weren't we paying Forster around 100k - and JWP? So a similar amount for a top keeper like Ramsdale now we're back in the Premier doesn't seem out of the question, especially if there's no transfer fee.

I guess you've got to add a "loan fee" in the mix so depends what that will be.  I'm sure that will be at least £3m.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Nice blast from the past, sadly at 40+ years of age and having been retired for over a decade I'm not sure he's got the legs for top flight football anymore!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruud_Knol

More importantly has Rudi Skacel signed yet? are we still looking at that Spanish winger and has Rupert completed negotiations with Bierhoff yet?

Those were the days of real summer transfer rumours!