Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

14 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

It's only the Sun but *if* it's true then that's dreadful. We know what price Celtic want and I'm all for negotiation but it's rather insulting to go in that low. 

I know we’ve not covered ourselves in glory with transfers in our recent past, but even we’re not stupid enough to put in a bid lower than one that’s already been rejected from someone else.

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Well that's ridiculous. He's clearly worth more. 

I don’t know anything about Matt O’Riley as I’ve never seen him play. Why do you think he’s worth more?

1 minute ago, Maggie May said:

I don’t know anything about Matt O’Riley as I’ve never seen him play. Why do you think he’s worth more?

Because he's had bids from athletic Madrid and Atalanta, he has a lot of goals and assists last year and the market is markedly different from when we were bidding a similar amount for the likes of Wanyama, vvd etc. 

31 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I know we’ve not covered ourselves in glory with transfers in our recent past, but even we’re not stupid enough to put in a bid lower than one that’s already been rejected from someone else.

we may have said we will pay up front and the other bids may be in instalments with add ons 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Wsaint said:

Who's O'Neil?

Brian?

First Peachy, now Brian O'Neil, this strategy of bringing back old players is going a bit too far now, how would certainly give a bit of bite in MF though.

1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

Brian?

First Peachy, now Brian O'Neil, this strategy of bringing back old players is going a bit too far now, how would certainly give a bit of bite in MF though.

Don't think the flying two legged tackle will wash these days.

• Like 1

Sun report states that O’Riley is ‘keen’ to link up with Martin again. Hopefully this is just part of the negotiations. To be fair this player has only ever played at SPL and L1 league level, £25m seems steep, it would be an SPL record. 

30 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Because he's had bids from athletic Madrid and Atalanta, he has a lot of goals and assists last year and the market is markedly different from when we were bidding a similar amount for the likes of Wanyama, vvd etc. 

we are pathetic.. 14 fucking million ! That’s just taking the piss 💦💦💦

Just now, goodymatt said:

Sun report states that O’Riley is ‘keen’ to link up with Martin again. Hopefully this is just part of the negotiations. To be fair this player has only ever played at SPL and L1 league level, £25m seems steep, it would be an SPL record. 

Any idea of the current record there?

3 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I don't think it does. It says that Martin is keen to link up with O'Riley, I think.

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Any idea of the current record there?

£25m. Tierney/Jota.

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

It's only the Sun but *if* it's true then that's dreadful. We know what price Celtic want and I'm all for negotiation but it's rather insulting to go in that low. 

How do we know what price Celtic will sell him for?

6 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

we are pathetic.. 14 fucking million ! That’s just taking the piss 💦💦💦

You'd prefer that our negotiator had been to Risdale school of negotiation?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Which was immediately rejected.

Which is why we have apparently offered more, not the same. We don't know what Celtic want until we reach that figure. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Which is why we have apparently offered more, not the same. We don't know what Celtic want until we reach that figure. 

The point was someone saying they wouldn't offer more than 14 million. 

1 minute ago, skintsaint said:

and I said we should offer more. Where you going with this?

Then I'm not sure why you responded to my post about Athletico Madrid and Atalanta which was a response to why I thought he was worth more than 14 million. I'm aware we offered slightly more than Atalanta, that's not particularly relevant to getting the player since Celtic were never going to accept that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maggie May said:

i've watched him play numerous times for Celtic, he is absolutely the class act up in Scotland. There were 2 players i wanted Saints to be interested in at the end of the season, one was Clark at Sunderland and the other O'Reily from Celtic. Yes the Scottish league is awful but O'Reily really stood out, so much so i'm gobsmacked bigger teams than us have not already come in for him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

The point was someone saying they wouldn't offer more than 14 million. 

He may be worth more, I don't know, but just because the likes of Atalanta are bidding, that alone doesn't make him worth more.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

i've watched him play numerous times for Celtic, he is absolutely the class act up in Scotland. There were 2 players i wanted Saints to be interested in at the end of the season, one was Clark at Sunderland and the other O'Reily from Celtic. Yes the Scottish league is awful but O'Reily really stood out, so much so i'm gobsmacked bigger teams than us have not already come in for him.

They are. Liverpool are having a look. 

I reckon Saints gonna end up buying someone for £20m - probably o’reilly ( Amf)  and renting two other quality £20M+ players for the year ( a GK and a CF ) plus pick up BBD on a loan to buy. At least two/three out of those will be automatic starters. 

Edited by gio1saints
Sp

I didn't say that that alone did make him worth more. 

Never said you did. But explain to me how how he is worth more because Atalanta have bid (especially when their bid was less than we bid)? 

• Like 1

Just now, Chez said:

Never said you did. But explain to me how how he is worth more because Atalanta have bid (especially when their bid was less than we bid)? 

He isn't worth more because Atalanta have bid. He is worth more because there has been interest from big teams, because he is the standout player in the league, because he had a great number of goals and assists and because he is an equivalent of a VVD, Wanyama etc in terms of quality for that league and finances are different from when we paid the market rate for players like that. 

He isn't worth more because Atalanta have bid. He is worth more because there has been interest from big teams, because he is the standout player in the league, because he had a great number of goals and assists and because he is an equivalent of a VVD, Wanyama etc in terms of quality for that league and finances are different from when we paid the market rate for players like that. 

I think he'll go for about 20m, will a few add on's.

I want us to pay the right price (for us) for O’Riley but Celtic know they have a popular asset on their hands so will want the auction. If Martin and O’Riley are buds, that bodes well for us but I doubt he’ll go handing in a transfer request so presumably we’ll have to pay closer to what Celtic want than what we want. Either way id just like it to be done sooner rather than later so he can get some decent pre-season in with us and learn our tactic of getting the ball back to the keeper asap. 😀

As for Rak-Sakyi, I know little of him but I would like to see us use SAA and Dibling this season - I know they’re only 18 but both appear to have something about them and it would show others there’s a pathway there - and maybe Dibling would sign a new contract as his is out next year I believe. The club assumedly know what they’re doing but I’d rather sign a more proven experienced winger if we’re going to bring one in than Rak-Sakyi - although it would bolster our double-barrelled name quota.

8 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Ramsdale on loan 

Matt O'Reiley  signed 

Jack Clarke    Signed 

Brereton Diaz Signed

Either def mid or second striker loan.

That's My predictions 

If that happens then I'd argue we've done extremely well.

Though I'd definitely want another striker.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Ramsdale on loan 

Matt O'Reiley  signed 

Jack Clarke    Signed 

Brereton Diaz Signed

Either def mid or second striker loan.

That's My predictions 

are we really in the running to get ramsdale...........you think?..................

Wouldnt mind if the club sounded out Dele Ali ,who is currently without a club. Do the due diligence and see where it goes, pay as you play sort of contract due to mental health issues ,dunno would be a shame to see a talent just fade away.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

Wouldnt mind if the club sounded out Dele Ali ,who is currently without a club. Do the due diligence and see where it goes, pay as you play sort of contract due to mental health issues ,dunno would be a shame to see a talent just fade away.

I’m struggling to think of a worse signing TBH, Alli even want to be a footballer any more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

No, no, no, no, no. From what I've heard from the inside at Everton, he's completely done as a professional footballer. Would be an even worse signing than Carillo, even on a free.

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Priorities wrong with Downes?

He was a critical signing. Had we not got him over the line there would have been pitchforks on here.

I think it'd be easier to find someone who can fill Downes role for a smaller than amount than it would someone who got 30+ goals and assists last season. 

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I think it'd be easier to find someone who can fill Downes role for a smaller than amount than it would someone who got 30+ goals and assists last season. 

Pffft, you’ve clearly not heard of Elliott Reeves of Flint Town. 30 goals and 12 assists in 29 matches.

£50k, easy peasy.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/elliott-reeves/profil/spieler/924628

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Eh? He was £18m and has proven himself to be one of our best players already. You think we can reliably replicate that for what, £10-12m?

Nobody knows what our opening bid for Downes was as I doubt it was 18 million.

If we want him we will go back with an improved offer.

Doesn’t mean Celtic will accept it or someone else won’t beat it though.

19 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Pffft, you’ve clearly not heard of Elliott Reeves of Flint Town. 30 goals and 12 assists in 29 matches.

£50k, easy peasy.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/elliott-reeves/profil/spieler/924628

Yes, it's exactly the same. 

19 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Eh? He was £18m and has proven himself to be one of our best players already. You think we can reliably replicate that for what, £10-12m?

As I said, I think it would be easier to find a defensive midfielder who fills the role Downes does for the amount we're offering for O'Riley, and we may have been better off spending the higher amount on O'Riley. 

Lots of midfielders can pass and tackle. A midfielder that scores and assists at a high rate is a rare thing - and to be honest without JWP and S. Armstrong we have nobody in midfield now who I would be confident of getting more than maybe 2 goals this season. 

Edited by Saint_clark