Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

JWP not a regular at Hammers........................

No idea where this myth has come from, it keeps coming up. 

34 Premier League starts.

9 out of 10 of their European matches he started. 

52 appearances in all. Fifty two.

He was on the bench for a couple of games and people have gone absolutely wild. It's like people on this forum are desperate for the narrative to be that he left us and he has failed.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 3

Just now, CB Fry said:

No idea where this myth has come from, it keeps coming up. 

34 Premier League starts.

9 out of 10 of their European matches he started. 

52 appearances in all. Fifty two.

He was on the bench for a couple of games and people have gone absolutely wild. It's like people on this forum want the narrative to be that he left and he has failed.

I agree, perhaps Hammers fans dont wet themselves every time he plays, like we did, and so dont mention him so much. Therefore he is more low key.  

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

How many times was that?

he played 50+ games for West Ham this season?

It was twice, against Liverpool and Chelsea I think. But if this fella didn’t see the other games then it didn’t happen.

21 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Sooner have Downes to be honest. Had JWP gone to a big club I could of fully understood his move but West Ham was his desperate bid to stay in the England frame......which he never was, his time there has passed under Southgate.  

This is also another myth about JWP. He wanted European football and got it. 

12 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Can't comment on the full positives and negatives of brining in Lallana, have to assume the club has thought it through.  However, if we want a full squad that can compete in the premier league then we'll need to bring in some pragmatic (uninspiring) signings - the veteran pool is probably the easiest, most reliable way to do that.

But signing Lallana is basically the opposite of pragmatic, it’s driven purely by wistful fantasy and nostalgia of games he played for us 15 years ago. Injuries have prevented him from being anything like that player for many years now, to the point where he doesn’t appear to have a future at the club who just finished eleventh.

Steven Davis for £800k was a pragmatic signing. So were Hammond, Butterfield and Harding in the lower leagues. We'll need a couple more of them but Lallana isn’t one of them.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, saintant said:

So you want a goalkeeper who has never been dropped. How much do you think he'll cost?

I want an experienced keeper, not a repeat bazanu. We've already got a man city development project.

I'd guess Burnley would want a fair amount of money too despite his struggles(just as we wouldn't have sold Bazanu off cheap because we'd invested heaviliy in his potential)

14 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

What would people think about us signing Kalvin Phillips perhaps on loan especially if we miss out on Downes? I know he struggled at West Ham in a David Moyes system but surely "the Yorkshire Pirlo" would suit a Russell Martin team perfectly. Given our previous dealings with Man City, it seems plausible.

SSN report Everton in for him

24 minutes ago, saintant said:

Signings;

Trafford goalkeeper from Burnley

Max Mittelstadt left back from Stutgart

Romeo Lavia midfiled loan from Chelsea

Jobe Bellingham attacking midfielder from Sunderland

Jack Clarke left wing from Sunderland

Bojan Miovski striker from Aberdeen

All the classic cliche suggestions here. Couple of players they’ve heard of from links in the media. Random guy from Germany who is good on a computer game/YT video. Young keeper from a relegated club. Younger brother of really good player and then a random loan for a ex player they think is out of favour at their new club but in reality is injured and will have zero interest in coming back. Zero thought for any of the cash involved or practicalities of signing any of them if they were available. Might get one right so they can act like they know wheat they are on about a while later and will certainly get nowhere near the others but they will be good somewhere else so they can say ‘ I told ya we should have got him’. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

All the classic cliche suggestions here. Couple of players they’ve heard of from links in the media. Random guy from Germany who is good on a computer game/YT video. Young keeper from a relegated club. Younger brother of really good player and then a random loan for a ex player they think is out of favour at their new club but in reality is injured and will have zero interest in coming back. Zero thought for any of the cash involved or practicalities of signing any of them if they were available. Might get one right so they can act like they know wheat they are on about a while later and will certainly get nowhere near the others but they will be good somewhere else so they can say ‘ I told ya we should have got him’. 

Come on then Einstein - have a go yourself instead of sniping from the sidelines. No need to be so condescending  - I made a few suggestions and you didn't like them. Get back in your box and chill out a bit.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Just now, saintant said:

Come on then Einstein - have a go yourself instead of sniping from the sidelines. No need to be so condescending  - I made a few suggestions and you didn't like them. Get back in your box and chill out a bit.

I quite liked them but there’s maximum two that are realistic. And I’m not a football recruitment department so won’t be having a go myself.

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

The way he behaved as captain on his way out still rankles with me. If he was 4/5 years younger then maybe i'd see the whole make amends thing but struggle to see what he offers as a player at this stage

Seems like it may be more a case of Saints doing him a favour than him giving back.

Sounds like he will be coming in as a player coach. I'd imagine he has a bit to offer as a coach and the odd appearance here and there isn't going to be that detrimental to our chances.

5 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I quite liked them but there’s maximum two that are realistic. And I’m not a football recruitment department so won’t be having a go myself.

What a cop-out 🙂

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Sounds like he will be coming in as a player coach. I'd imagine he has a bit to offer as a coach and the odd appearance here and there isn't going to be that detrimental to our chances.

I'd be more worried about the amount of wedge we are paying him if he does sign. 

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I'd be more worried about the amount of wedge we are paying him if he does sign. 

Well I'd imagine he would really want to come so hopefully it would be a very reasonable wage. Maybe heavily appearance bonus related. 

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Jack Clarke, Callum O’Hare, Ryan Sessegnon (but I think he’ll go back to Fulham) - they’d be nice signings.

A new GK, LB, wide player and striker are a must.

Not a bad selection, but we cant have too many who may dilute the team spirit. A couple of old experienced players would help. 

Anyone that thinks we should sign Brooks should rewatch the extended highlights. The guy is made of glass, he falls over and causes a serious injury to his shoulder. Couple that with the fact he's had a couple of very good performances but mostly innocuous, I wouldn't be spending any money on him. Wish him the best though.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Not a bad selection, but we cant have too many who may dilute the team spirit. A couple of old experienced players would help. 

This is a fair point and it must be incredibly difficult to strike the right balance. On the one hand you have the team spirit and camaraderie which has been built during a successful campaign - that is an element that cannot be bought but it can easily be eroded..  On the other hand you have the clear need to strengthen the squad and integrate new players to help cope with the higher demands of the Premier League. It's a really tough conundrum.

Has Trafford even been that good for Burnley? If we're going for a new keeper (which I guess we have to) then surely we get someone in the Boruc mould. Someone with experience to come in, shore things up and also be a mentor to Baz (who I believe will come good)

• Like 2

Can't believe Phillips is even being suggested. Woeful player who had that one good game for England that one time and has lived off it ever since. Didn't even think he was THAT good at Leeds.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Has Trafford even been that good for Burnley? If we're going for a new keeper (which I guess we have to) then surely we get someone in the Boruc mould. Someone with experience to come in, shore things up and also be a mentor to Baz (who I believe will come good)

Didn't Burnley drop him? 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

For me it's more that the manner he left showed what type of person he was at the time. Certainly not selfless and ready to sacrifice for the good of the team. Hopefully he's grown up a bit. 

Yep. He was 26 when he left us, he wasn't some naive kid who was badly advised or had his head turned. He was also our captain. 

To those saying what a great example he would set the younger players - what sort of example did he set our younger players when, as our captain no less, he allegedly went on strike to force his way out of the club? Why would you want to bring that person back, in any capacity, let alone to 'set the example'? 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Didn't Burnley drop him? 

No idea. For obvious reasons I haven't really followed the PL much. I'm just going by comments I've seen here and there about him. I get the impression that much like Baz, he's a talented keeper but got put into the spot light too soon.

2 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Yep. He was 26 when he left us, he wasn't some naive kid who was badly advised or had his head turned. He was also our captain. 

To those saying what a great example he would set the younger players - what sort of example did he set our younger players when, as our captain no less, he allegedly went on strike to force his way out of the club? Why would you want to bring that person back, in any capacity, let alone to 'set the example'? 

The key word there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

But signing Lallana is basically the opposite of pragmatic, it’s driven purely by wistful fantasy and nostalgia of games he played for us 15 years ago.

Why would Martin & the present crop of decision makers at the club be influenced by that. Of course they wouldn’t, if they thought he could do the job they want him to do, the fact he played for us 7 or 8 managers ago wouldn’t enter their thinking. It’s not pub football. 

• Like 2

Lallana only makes sense if it's in coaching role. Can't see him being the player we need at this point in his career.

Brooks and Rothwell should go back to Bournemouth. 

Great that Harwood-Bellis is done. Now let's get Downes and Fraser in.

It'll be goodbye to Che, McCarthy and Stu.

Of those returning would love to see ABK and Charly given a go. Want to see the rest of our loanees out sold.

We really need a centre forward and a goalkeeper this summer.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

If he puts in a full page in the echo apologising for being behaving like an absolute cunt when leaving we could forgive him......................................Perhaps

Edited by tdmickey3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

The key word there.

You're right. He obviously conducted himself in a way that made everyone at the club love and respect him. You can just feel the affection for him oozing out of the official statement when he left, with not a single word of thanks or good wishes towards him. What a guy. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e7d3b6299a6fab3301a0fe788d4cb6d2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

If he puts in a full page in the echo apologising for being behaving like an absolute cunt when leaving we could forgive him......................................Perhaps

I really really disliked him by the way he left but time has made me mellow. I did see an interview last season when he said something on the lines of Saints being his club. It may have been when we were relegated, but he did show that he did care

4 hours ago, OldNick said:

Whats CoTs view on this , I cant believe it until Ive seen Nostradamus's quatrains spelling out the truth of this

You’ll have to wait until we reconvene in June I’m afraid Nick. You know this.  

• Haha 2

Just now, Turkish said:

You’ll have to wait until we reconvene in June I’m afraid Nick. You know this.  

Thats a poor show Turks, surely there should be a CoTs Cobra meeting so that you can keep your finger on the pulse. No good swanning about in Mexico when there are important things to be done, should back on the first plane. May I ask does your ego have its own seat on the plane? Only teasing x

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I really really disliked him by the way he left but time has made me mellow. I did see an interview last season when he said something on the lines of Saints being his club. It may have been when we were relegated, but he did show that he did care

I was at a party once in 2009 I think it was and got chatting to someone who had bumped into him in a night club a few weeks earlier. It was the end of our first season in League One (I think) and this guy asked Lallana if we were going up the next season and Lallana's response was "I don't give a fvck, I'm not gonna be here!" Obviously he was here so something changed and at the time I dismissed it as drunk ramblings from some stranger but then when this stuff about him refusing to train etc came out, it did make me think back to that.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What do people think about emile Smith Rowe? Too ambitious? 

Wages would likely be the issue. He'll be on a fortune at Arsenal. Think we have to aim lower than the top 6 Premier clubs - apart from their youngsters of course 🙂

Edited by saintant

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone would want Lallana, just because he’s been here before. Two years ago people were saying that anyone who didn’t want Bale back was an idiot. After six months of 20 minute MLS jogging sessions, in between rounds of golf, he went to the WC, was the worst player in it and promptly retired.

If you’re recruiting players based purely on attributes and fitness, Lallana isn’t even on the radar.

100% agree.

A week or so ago I had a look into his stats from Brighton last year, post below:

This season at Brighton he’s started 12 games and come on as sub in 12. So either unused sub or not in the squad in 14 league games.

Of the games he’s started, he’s only twice made it past the 60 minute mark before getting hooked.

And he’s scored zero goals, assisted 1.

He’s clearly still a pretty good player at some sort of level, but just such a risk for anyone to take as he can’t get close to finishing a 90 minute game.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/adam-lallana/leistungsdaten/spieler/43530

• Like 4