Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

16 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Sunderland Echo say Ipswich and Saints both keen on Jack Clarke but Sunderland’s asking price is £25m, due to a 25% sell-on which is held by Tottenham

The price of players is insane. Watford's Asprilla seems to be a similar amount.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

We've been priced out of the British market, really.

This, plus every other club and agent thinking they can charge similar silly figures for their players. SR will have to dodge all of that while negotiating sensibly across a number of actual targets.

36 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Sunderland Echo say Ipswich and Saints both keen on Jack Clarke but Sunderland’s asking price is £25m, due to a 25% sell-on which is held by Tottenham

So because Sunderland will have to pay 25% sell on to Spurs they walk up the asking price so they walk away with the amount they want. 

I'm not sure they are in the position to turn down a bid of circa £15M tbh

• Like 3

Any idea how many years Jack Clarke has on his contract? He’ll fancy a go at the prem and unless Sunderland improve rapidly they don’t look like they’re getting there any time soon so you would imagine he is unlikely to sign a new deal without a buy out clause.

I think he could do well for us bur don’t think we can justify the asking price as is especially given the other areas of the squad that need attention.

5 minutes ago, UpweySaint said:

Any idea how many years Jack Clarke has on his contract? He’ll fancy a go at the prem and unless Sunderland improve rapidly they don’t look like they’re getting there any time soon so you would imagine he is unlikely to sign a new deal without a buy out clause.

I think he could do well for us bur don’t think we can justify the asking price as is especially given the other areas of the squad that need attention.

Basically imo if we manage to do something remarkable and pull of o'riley not a chance would we then spend 20 million plus on another player. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UpweySaint said:

Expires 2026

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, UpweySaint said:

12 months rolling I thought. Edit - 2 years, and not signing another.

No way they will get over £15m. Saints got their shorts pulled down over Stewart, this would be equally daft. Anything over £15m and move on to better, quicker targets. Good player but we just paid £18m for Downes in a more critical position, longer contract with West Ham and PL experience recently.

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Basically imo if we manage to do something remarkable and pull of o'riley not a chance would we then spend 20 million plus on another player. 

Agreed. PSR and our horror January trolley dash have hampered us. Unless somebody has an aneurysm and throws money at us for Kamaldeen, ABK etc I can’t see us having lots to throw around. 

The Delap miss suggests we may also have readies for a striker as well as O’Riley (price contingent).

If we’re being wildly optimistic we shift the fringe players, get BBD on loan to buy (if we stay up maybe) and Ramsdale on loan and still have enough for O’Riley and Clarke. KWP sale (or not) could have an influence. I would be sad to see him go but if we have a decent offer we can’t let him go on a free.

• Like 1

Anyone else moving to the viewpoint that selling KWP sooner rather than later would be helpful?

He will clearly be our biggest cash generator, won't sign a new deal, isn't playing friendlies so obvious he is going and we have already got our replacement. 

Would have preferred him going to West Ham rather than somewhere like Brighton where it would feel more of a blow.

11 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Anyone else moving to the viewpoint that selling KWP sooner rather than later would be helpful?

He will clearly be our biggest cash generator, won't sign a new deal, isn't playing friendlies so obvious he is going and we have already got our replacement. 

Would have preferred him going to West Ham rather than somewhere like Brighton where it would feel more of a blow.

I still can't see where he'd go in the PL and start regularly, so I think there's a fairly limited market. That market will only get smaller as time goes by, so I'd rather cash in asap and have the money in reserve.

Just now, sadoldgit said:

I’d rather that he signed a new contract and stays as he is one of our best players. What will be will be though.

We'd all have wanted that SoG, but it's not happening after Suga signed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Explain something. Under ‘profit and sustainability’, say we sell players and generate a clear £30m after sell ons, etc. Any new purchases are amortised over five years, so surely we could spend £150m this year, in theory, and only record £30m of cost.

Now, I fully appreciate that club finances involve a lot more than buying and selling, but wages, the ground improvements, and so on, plus we have income from Sky.

The obvious flaw in this equation is that we cannot, with this crude example, buy anyone next season, but might need to generate a further £30m from sales, so the old Saints philosophy of buying young and cheap and selling on could come into play. So, logically, we wouldn’t want to spend that £150m, but we could spend, maybe £90m if that was seen as what it will take to preserve EPL status, and if we don’t, we have a fire sale of our more valuable assets. If this theory holds, we could expect maybe three decent signings this summer, or certainly two after Taylor and Flynn.

6 minutes ago, Pwoite said:

Explain something. Under ‘profit and sustainability’, say we sell players and generate a clear £30m after sell ons, etc. Any new purchases are amortised over five years, so surely we could spend £150m this year, in theory, and only record £30m of cost.

Now, I fully appreciate that club finances involve a lot more than buying and selling, but wages, the ground improvements, and so on, plus we have income from Sky.

The obvious flaw in this equation is that we cannot, with this crude example, buy anyone next season, but might need to generate a further £30m from sales, so the old Saints philosophy of buying young and cheap and selling on could come into play. So, logically, we wouldn’t want to spend that £150m, but we could spend, maybe £90m if that was seen as what it will take to preserve EPL status, and if we don’t, we have a fire sale of our more valuable assets. If this theory holds, we could expect maybe three decent signings this summer, or certainly two after Taylor and Flynn.

Don't we still owe a load from Sulemana, Onuachu, ABK, probably Charles etc? I expect that would whittle down what we could spend. My understanding was it was a three year cycle and we spent a shed load two years ago so we will still be feeling the effects of that whilst Ipswich can basically do what you suggest. 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Don't we still owe a load from Sulemana, Onuachu, ABK, probably Charles etc? I expect that would whittle down what we could spend. My understanding was it was a three year cycle and we spent a shed load two years ago so we will still be feeling the effects of that whilst Ipswich can basically do what you suggest. 

Yes, but a rolling three years, as I understand it, and you’re right about the desperation buys 18 months back but I thought a lot of that was recovered in sales post relegation. 
Of course, P&S isn’t the same as balancing the books but I’m not sure many owners are looking too closely at that! Perhaps they should. 

6 hours ago, Chez said:

The price of players is insane. Watford's Asprilla seems to be a similar amount.

6 hours ago, EBS1980 said:

So because Sunderland will have to pay 25% sell on to Spurs they walk up the asking price so they walk away with the amount they want. 

I'm not sure they are in the position to turn down a bid of circa £15M tbh

I don’t realky see the point in paying that for Clarke .. we have some exciting young wingers already and he’s not prem proven either .. rather have Fraser and get that rak guy from palace .. striker position that needs the big money 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I don’t realky see the point in paying that for Clarke .. we have some exciting young wingers already and he’s not prem proven either .. rather have Fraser and get that rak guy from palace .. striker position that needs the big money 

Striker and Attacking midfield. Get 2 gems here is surely correct, one who can get you assists and one who can put them away.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dusic said:

I find it funny people think we’re getting big cash for a guy whose contract is nearly up and haven’t been able to sell for a year now. Be lucky to get £15 million.

8 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I find it funny people think we’re getting big cash for a guy whose contract is nearly up and haven’t been able to sell for a year now. Be lucky to get £15 million.

You quoted Dusic who had said 'biggest cash generator'. Are we getting more this summer from Sulemana or Alvarez?

• Like 1

Just now, Chez said:

You quoted Dusic who had said 'biggest cash generator'. Are we getting more this summer from Sulemana or Alvarez?

If I had to say which would get most money out of those it would be Alcarez, but yes fair point, KWP might be our highest sale but I guarantee people will be annoyed at the fee we eventually get.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Yeah they really weren't that good at all apart from when Mowbray schooled Martin in the 5-0

That was fucking terrible. Watched that in a bar on holiday full of Sunderland fans. 

They’re a good bunch actually but they gave me a lot of shit 😂. I thought they’d have an OK season after that but nothing ever seems to go right for them

25 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Finally made our move for O’Riley according to Italian press.

The Italian press well in the know on Scottish football matters are they? 😄

Edited by Saint86
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

The Italian press well in the know on Scottish football matters are they? 😄

Probably - they seem to have more right than the rubbish that comes from domestic chancers.  Fabrizio Romano doesn't seem to get much wrong.

Atalanta very tough competition for him. Current Europa league holders, regular European football, been challenging top end of Serie A. PLus you'd get to live in Bergamo

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Atalanta very tough competition for him. Current Europa league holders, regular European football, been challenging top end of Serie A. PLus you'd get to live in Bergamo

But what about Watermark, and the regeneration of Woolston waterfront? Not to forget the Toys R Us building is about to be demolished.

He'd be daft to consider anywhere else. #cityofdreams

In all seriousness I think the Martin factor will be a significant pull if we are serious.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

But what about Watermark, and the regeneration of Woolston waterfront? Not to forget the Toys R Us building is about to be demolished.

He'd be daft to consider anywhere else. #cityofdreams

In all seriousness I think the Martin factor will be a significant pull if we are serious.

why would a player want to play for a lego headed vegan who looks like an Arne model? 

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

why would a player want to play for a lego headed vegan who looks like an Arne model? 

He's got a bromance with O'Riley, have always kept in contact apparently.

• Like 1

Since British players seem to be going for exorbitant prices, I'm surprised we haven't more of a look at the Spanish market apart from Ben Brereton Diaz considering that Russell Martin the other day was comparing his style of play to Spain's National team.

Edited by V.Johnathan.Wilson

4 minutes ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

Are we priced out of Spanish Players? Considering that Russell Martin compared his team's style of play to the Spain National team we haven't even batted an eye at La Liga apart from Ben Brereton Diaz of Villareal but he hardly even played there so not sure if he counts. 

When I see the regular reports of Barca in financial meltdown, and looking to offload players, I think of Ronnie Ekelund and wonder if could pick up a gem cheaply or on loan.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He's got a bromance with O'Riley, have always kept in contact apparently.

Bodes well for us, O’Riley would probably see our midfield business done unless we ship any out like Aribo. Then (bar selling anyone) we need to concentrate on the attack.

2 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

If I had to say which would get most money out of those it would be Alcarez, but yes fair point, KWP might be our highest sale but I guarantee people will be annoyed at the fee we eventually get.

I'm sure it will, as we have just seen him have a great season in the championship and we have seen him play well in Prem too, all be it not in the relegation season. However, we may think more highly of him than other clubs. How much of a market there is for him I am unsure. If he isn't going to sign a new contract, we have very few cards to play.  

I recall that the fee we got for Hojbjerg (also in last year of contract) annoyed me (£10mn for a lessor player IMO) because at the time other players in the last year of their contract seemed to be going for ridiculous sums - amounts almost akin to them having several years left. Perhaps they were (more) premium players, so it was different. 

47 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

When I see the regular reports of Barca in financial meltdown, and looking to offload players, I think of Ronnie Ekelund and wonder if could pick up a gem cheaply or on loan.

Who you thinking? Romeu or maybe Ansu Fati (was on loan at Brighton last season)? 

1 hour ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

Since British players seem to be going for exorbitant prices, I'm surprised we haven't more of a look at the Spanish market apart from Ben Brereton Diaz considering that Russell Martin the other day was comparing his style of play to Spain's National team.

Good thinking. The only issue is we are probably relegation candidates, so might not be the most attractive of Prem sides. Being able to offer bigger wages (than some of the Spanish sides) is obviously a major draw, but if those wages are halved on relegation, that reduces the impact. We obviously tried to sign Jackson a while back. We do have a scout in Spain according to transfermarkt.  

31 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Bodes well for us, O’Riley would probably see our midfield business done unless we ship any out like Aribo. Then (bar selling anyone) we need to concentrate on the attack.

Downes/Charles
Smallbone/Lallana
O'Riley/ Aribo

It's perhaps looking for Charles to be continuing to develop to PL levels.

Even with someone like Ghoddos coming in as a Che/Stu replacement, it still looks a little light in protecting our back line. Hopefully, Charles is doing really well. That would also allow Bragg to look for some first team squad development.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Who you thinking? Romeu or maybe Ansu Fati (was on loan at Brighton last season)? 

😀

I meant to put in "That Romeo lad looked decent."

But I distracted myself with a Firpo to Leeds line, that I then took out, and forgot. 🙂

27 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'm sure it will, as we have just seen him have a great season in the championship and we have seen him play well in Prem too, all be it not in the relegation season. However, we may think more highly of him than other clubs. How much of a market there is for him I am unsure. If he isn't going to sign a new contract, we have very few cards to play.  

I recall that the fee we got for Hojbjerg (also in last year of contract) annoyed me (£10mn for a lessor player IMO) because at the time other players in the last year of their contract seemed to be going for ridiculous sums - amounts almost akin to them having several years left. Perhaps they were (more) premium players, so it was different. 

I just think as much as we rightly rate KWP, any club looking at him could easily pivot to another versatile full back because he isn’t a stand out top full back that everyone is desperately wanting now, he’s a good solid squad option that would be nice to have. That leads to clubs stalling at £15m demands and saying we’ll just wait or get someone cheaper now. 

We recently bid 7m for Aarons who is fully contracted up presumably. I’m not sure KWP is really worth two Max Aarons to anyone else right now. 

Late circa 8-10m deal to Spurs or West Ham is my guess. Followed by the management team bemoaning it got to that situation in the first place and saying it was done as a thanks for not forcing it last year. 

Seeing as we look likely to keep conceding a relatively high amount of goals we really, really need to start adding PL quality in attack to give ourselves a fighting chance of staying up.

Currently our starting wide players didnt do much in the Championship and have only two viable strikers, one who is better from wide and the other being Mara who clearly isn't good enough.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Seeing as we look likely to keep conceding a relatively high amount of goals we really, really need to start adding PL quality in attack to give ourselves a fighting chance of staying up.

Currently our starting wide players didnt do much in the Championship and have only two viable strikers, one who is better from wide and the other being Mara who clearly isn't good enough.

It’s a massive gaping hole that has been plastered over for 4 years now.