Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

10 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

Meghoma’s not even a product of our academy. We bought him from Spurs.  

So? He played in our academy, he signed orignally as an academy scholar. Its possible to represent more than one academy you know. 

I do wish we'd put as much effort into our own youngsters as we do the likes of Bazunu, Mara & Edozie.

Edited by SaintNewForest

3 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Would you have said that when Nathan Jones was in charge ?

My point was that our coaching team see him day in day out and are far better placed to know someone’s development position than fans who judge it based on a few mins here and there in cups games.

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Read the article. It's been taken out of context. 

Fair, hadn't read the article - was just looking on Twitter.

"That will dictate what we do in the goalkeeping department. After what Alex did at the end of last season, I think he's earned the right to be first choice."

He continued: "But as I said, if we lose one, and then someone else comes in, you just never know, do you? It's the same for any player in the squad.

"No one is guaranteed to play football. We lost out on signing a player last season because I couldn't guarantee that he would play football.

It’s been reported that recently promoted EPL side Southampton are preparing to bid big to land Matt O’Riley. No exact figure has been mentioned, but it’s likely to eclipse the £25 million we received for both Kieran Tierney and Jota.

Although I’d urge a note of caution as it was reported by Daily Record, but don’t be surprised if there is some substance to it as Matt is a player who’s signature is very high in demand.

https://thecelticstar.com/southampton-set-to-break-celtics-transfer-record-with-huge-oriley-bid/

1 hour ago, washsaint said:

Our 'pathway' is pretty much non-existent.  The likes of Dibling and Meghoma should have had more minutes last year - both looked extremely good prospects who were getting better with the more minutes they played.

This ridiculous link to a Palace young player that appears to be of a lower level than SAA and Dibling highlights our stupid strategy which appears to be ignore our own young players and buy in other young players from youth programs.  Obviously Lavia and Livramento were big successes (financially) but Bazunu, Edozie, Charles, Larios, Simeu were/are not

Agree completely. 
curious about what the actual strategy is as it has certainly not seemed about developing players to play for Southampton.

I'd like to see Meghoma get some first team action with us, but then maybe he isn't good enough yet?

Perhaps we should trust the guys who are coaching him day today.

How many kids do come through? Very few. We've seen plenty of situations in recent years where fans have been calling for youngsters to be given a go, and they turn out to be nothing special.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

It’s been reported that recently promoted EPL side Southampton are preparing to bid big to land Matt O’Riley. No exact figure has been mentioned, but it’s likely to eclipse the £25 million we received for both Kieran Tierney and Jota.

Although I’d urge a note of caution as it was reported by Daily Record, but don’t be surprised if there is some substance to it as Matt is a player who’s signature is very high in demand.

https://thecelticstar.com/southampton-set-to-break-celtics-transfer-record-with-huge-oriley-bid/

Those comments on that article 😂 Even after Van Dijk, Armstrong, Forster, Wanyama... they still haven't learnt that any Premier League club will be a more attractive proposition than any SPFL club. None of the major clubs will take the gamble until they see the player competing in a prestigious league.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 2

SSN report

Celtic have rejected a second bid from Atalanta for in-demand midfielder Matt O'Riley.

It's understood the improved offer consisted of a £14.3m initial fee, plus add-ons.

Talks between the two clubs are ongoing, but there is still a  gap in valuation.

2 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

Saw him at Gillingham and he looked out of his depth tbh.

Yes I was there, his first game I thought he was ok, drifted a bit.

His later performances were significantly better. Very poor of Martin not to put him in the squad and give him minutes.

Same goes for Dibling and SAA.

8 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Yes I was there, his first game I thought he was ok, drifted a bit.

His later performances were significantly better. Very poor of Martin not to put him in the squad and give him minutes.

Same goes for Dibling and SAA.

I thought SAA started the season well in the Champ, he was blooded right from the start - I thought it was going to be a breakthrough season for him. After a couple of existing sub appearances he got a start against QPR I think, as Tella was off, and he struggled a bit to be fair - but we never saw him in the league again.

I thought we saw enough of him in the early handful of games as a sub to suggest he will cause stacks of problems for defenders, you have to excuse young players some bad games though as they're learning.

I don't feel as if Russell necessarily trusted young players though, look at how he treated Charles and Charly throughout the season. He prefers experience and know-how in the starting 11's, which is fine and is needed...but I think clubs like us need to also be seen to blood young players and give them opportunities, which I don't think we do enough of anymore.

Our young players are clearly good enough as they have stacks of interest, it's not like we've got a team of Jake Vokins or Jake Sinclairs trying to get into the 11 - they're of much higher quality.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

Dibling is the one who looked like he really deserved more minutes. Seemed physically up to the challenge and demonstrated great technique. Will be very disappointed if we end up letting him go having seen a grand total of 2 minutes in league football. Especially with Sulemana failing to score or assist in the latter half of last season.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

West Ham are in talks with Bayern Munich over the signing of right-back Noussair Mazraoui.

Looks like Mazraoui will be heading to Man Utd with AWB heading to West Ham.

36 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

We can blow them out of the water, by offering £25m plus add ons for O'Riley.

would we though?..........................................................

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Remember the clamour for Alexandre Jankewitz? He had to play because he was the future. He played, got sent off in the first minute of his debut. He left for first team football, joined Young Boys where he's played 6 times and spent the rest of him time out on loan. Plenty of people were dismayed that he wasn't getting first team football chances with us, but clearly Ralph was right and the fans weren't. 

All I want is a Saints team that loses entertainingly 4-3 every week with a team made up of at least seven academy graduates. 

Otherwise, what's the point of it all?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

I do wish we'd put as much effort into our own youngsters as we do the likes of Bazunu, Mara & Edozie.

Do you mean show a little more faith? You might have a point, but is Meghoma even at their level? With Manning struggling and falling out of favour, of RM thought he was ready why wouldn't he have played him? Unless he's simply not ready.

2 hours ago, Suhari said:

I'd like to see Meghoma get some first team action with us, but then maybe he isn't good enough yet?

Perhaps we should trust the guys who are coaching him day today.

How many kids do come through? Very few. We've seen plenty of situations in recent years where fans have been calling for youngsters to be given a go, and they turn out to be nothing special.

It's a good point, I've watched the U21s / B team a fair few times, Meghoma looks a competent left back and certainly much better than Thierry Small but I've not seen anything that made me think we must get this lad in the first team, nothing like Luke Shaw for example at that age. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

So? He played in our academy, he signed orignally as an academy scholar. Its possible to represent more than one academy you know. 

I actually agree the club needs to show a better pathway but couple of points

1) The clubs youth plan has been slightly hampered by having two seasons (and now possibly 3) where we need immediate results.

2) It's also been hampered by not having the talent it's seemingly got now for quite a while.

3) The likes of Bazunu, Mara and Edozie have played and proved themselves at levels beyond what Meghoma, Dibling and SAA have. They had played at the top level of youth football, in the City boys case in Europe and domestically and in Mara's case internationally (I cba to look up his club level before he joined us). I think people forget our Under 21's are in the 2nd division of the youth level in this country and hardly setting the world alight at that level either. The reason the City boys were signed and drafted into the first team is not because of effort but because they were a level above the kids we have at their age in terms of proven experience. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Do we want to?

Historically we have done pretty ok businesss with Celtic. Elyounuissi being the exception.
It is a gamble, probably, but we are gonna have to trust the clubs judgement on this one.

Can't believe we paid 22 mill. pounds for Sulemana.... 

2 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

We can blow them out of the water, by offering £25m plus add ons for O'Riley.

There were people on here demanding we GET IT DONE GET IT DONE JUST GET IT DONE SAINTS for Mislav Orsic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kristian Loekkegaard said:

Historically we have done pretty ok businesss with Celtic. Elyounuissi being the exception.
It is a gamble, probably, but we are gonna have to trust the clubs judgement on this one.

Can't believe we paid 22 mill. pounds for Sulemana.... 

We didn't buy Ely from Celtic. We got him from Basel I believe, but loaned him to Celtic to get some game time where he did ok. (couple of seasons I think we sent him there).

I think 90% of our buys from Scotland have been pretty solid generally. VVD, Davis, Stu Armstrong, Fraser Forster.

The worst I can think of is McCann.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

We didn't buy Ely from Celtic. We got him from Basel I believe, but loaned him to Celtic to get some game time where he did ok. (couple of seasons I think we sent him there).

I think 90% of our buys from Scotland have been pretty solid generally. VVD, Davis, Stu Armstrong, Fraser Forster.

I got it wrong. Sorry. Basel of course.
Elyounouissi  actually did ok at Celtic when he went there from us on loan.

I'm glad Mowbray and Parsons have got Les Reed's sharp edge ruler and protractor out from the black box and are properly lining up the O'Riley mega bid. 

I believe the bid itself has already been 'prepared' so once it has been fully aligned then we should be in business with that one.

• Like 1

Sorry if this has been mentioned already on here.

Billy Gilmore defensive midfielder, apparently Brighton are willing to sell for a comparatively low fee for a Premier League player. Played 41 times for them last season mainly partnering Pascal Gross. CDAJFU?

Billy Gilmour: Brighton reject £8m bid from Italian side Napoli - BBC Sport

Brighton open to selling Billy Gilmour this summer (wearebrighton.com)

• Like 1

Latest saying  we are preparing  close to Scottish record bid ..

i have a strong feeling we are gonna pull this one off..  this one has martins fingerprints all over it and russ seems exactly the type of manager who is all buddy with ex players and that could be a huge factor in orileys decision .

this looks like being a huge coup a central midfielder who managed 19 goals and 18 assists .. strong in the tackle lovely touch ..really exciting this one 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

thought SAA started the season well in the Champ, he was blooded right from the start - I thought it was going to be a breakthrough season for him. After a couple of existing sub appearances he got a start against QPR I think, as Tella was off, and he struggled a bit to be fair - but we never saw him in the league again.

I thought we saw enough of him in the early handful of games as a sub to suggest he will cause stacks of problems for defenders, you have to excuse young players some bad games though as they're learning.

I don't feel as if Russell necessarily trusted young players though,

SAA certainly made an impression in pre-season games and as a sub, but like you say, one bad game and he was dropped like a stone. Don't recall him even come back on as a sub after that. Given there were a number of games when we were searching for goals, it all seemed strange SAA wasn't given more opportunities. He was often on the bench but RM always turned to Sule, Edozie, Fraser every time.

On the basis that we can't/won't use SAA, Dibling et al, we have 5/6 weeks to replace Che/Mara.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

Tbf we played Edozie a lot last season and before injury he was good. Simeu was low cost, Larios fucked himself injury wise and may go the way of Sam McQ, and obviously we're not going to write off Shea at 20 years old are we? 

I think you're missing my point.......none of these came through our Academies and I struggle to see what Edozie has that Dibling/SAA do not.  For 10 million+ SHea CHarles should have offered a massive amount more last season than he did

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Latest saying  we are preparing  close to Scottish record bid ..

i have a strong feeling we are gonna pull this one off..  this one has martins fingerprints all over it and russ seems exactly the type of manager who is all buddy with ex players and that could be a huge factor in orileys decision .

this looks like being a huge coup a central midfielder who managed 19 goals and 18 assists .. strong in the tackle lovely touch ..really exciting this one 

I'm holding a secret hope for it if we actually are bidding. I think we must have some inside info to be pushing for it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Suhari said:

What does it actually mean to be 'preparing a bid'?

Genuine question. 

Starting a go fund me page, holding a whip round and checking down the back of the sofa.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Where did Wanyama come from?

43 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

SAA certainly made an impression in pre-season games and as a sub, but like you say, one bad game and he was dropped like a stone. Don't recall him even come back on as a sub after that. Given there were a number of games when we were searching for goals, it all seemed strange SAA wasn't given more opportunities. He was often on the bench but RM always turned to Sule, Edozie, Fraser every time.

On the basis that we can't/won't use SAA, Dibling et al, we have 5/6 weeks to replace Che/Mara.

Just looked up on the stats - our feelings are right, after he started that QPR game he didn't feature in another league game all season. On the bench for a few, but was never seen in the league again.

He had a few moments in the cups, but that was it.

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Just looked up on the stats - our feelings are right, after he started that QPR game he didn't feature in another league game all season. On the bench for a few, but was never seen in the league again.

The reality is that pro mens football at a good level is brutally difficult and very few 18 year olds play regularly.

SAA looks sure to have a good career ahead of him but its tricky to know what is best for him now.

In the little interview he did today he spoke of being trusted by manager and teammates and thats probably about right.

In the Eastleigh game he was electric but a sloppy pass on the edge of our box gifted them their best chance of the game from open play and in the PL it would have resulted in a goal against. Its those kind of actions that sway a manager into going for more reliable options.

35 minutes ago, Suhari said:

What does it actually mean to be 'preparing a bid'?

Genuine question. 

Depends who told the journalist we are preparing a bid as to what it actually means.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

7 minutes ago, Dusic said:

The reality is that pro mens football at a good level is brutally difficult and very few 18 year olds play regularly.

SAA looks sure to have a good career ahead of him but its tricky to know what is best for him now.

In the little interview he did today he spoke of being trusted by manager and teammates and thats probably about right.

In the Eastleigh game he was electric but a sloppy pass on the edge of our box gifted them their best chance of the game from open play and in the PL it would have resulted in a goal against. Its those kind of actions that sway a manager into going for more reliable options.

Not 100% on this, but believe the plan *was* to loan him out this season.  Whether that depends on landing the lad from Palace or not, I’m not sure.

We really need to get that loan move right. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Not 100% on this, but believe the plan *was* to loan him out this season.  Whether that depends on landing the lad from Palace or not, I’m not sure.

We really need to get that loan move right. 

And extend his contract before letting him out (actually regardless).

Edited by Dusic

1 hour ago, M271 said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned already on here.

Billy Gilmore defensive midfielder, apparently Brighton are willing to sell for a comparatively low fee for a Premier League player. Played 41 times for them last season mainly partnering Pascal Gross. CDAJFU?

Billy Gilmour: Brighton reject £8m bid from Italian side Napoli - BBC Sport

Brighton open to selling Billy Gilmour this summer (wearebrighton.com)

I was going to post similar. Charkes really didn't impress me at all last season, so that second holding midfield role needs filling unless he makes decent strides. Conte obviously rates Gilmore. Brighton seemed to get their act together when he got in the side, so I am slightly surprised they are taking offers (maybe they are not). I wondered if he was a better option than Reed. That said, they want £15m for him, so Napoli will need to find a few bob. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

I was going to post similar. Charkes really didn't impress me at all last season, so that second holding midfield role needs filling unless he makes decent strides. Conte obviously rates Gilmore. Brighton seemed to get their act together when he got in the side, so I am slightly surprised they are taking offers (maybe they are not). I wondered if he was a better option than Reed. That said, they want £15m for him, so Napoli will need to find a few bob. 

Don't think we can really afford 15 million for a second dm. I expect we will have to hope that Charles has developed. 

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

I'm glad Mowbray and Parsons have got Les Reed's sharp edge ruler and protractor out from the black box and are properly lining up the O'Riley mega bid. 

I believe the bid itself has already been 'prepared' so once it has been fully aligned then we should be in business with that one.

Ok 👍
Having perceived O'Riley as a good attacking player with great athleticism and a good eye for goals and assists on a high level for some time, I think he could be the right target for us as an upgrade on Armstrong (who is probably soon a Brentford player?) - but do we have enough financial ressources left for getting in other important new players , at least one good striker, one keeper, a winger and one more LB , if we spend 25+ million pounds  on Matt O'Riley?

Re: the Dibling debate, he’s the one I’d love to see us keep and bed in this season, more than SAA (who admittedly looked promising early on last season and I’d love him to stay too), Ballard (who seems to have something about him but perhaps needs another loan post injury), Meghoma and the other youngsters. Dibling looks physically ready and when I’ve seen him he looks skillful - he’s also left us and come home - twice apparently. In a season where we’re likely to be at the wrong end of the table for a lot of it, I’d rather be bedding in youngsters that are eager to play and shine than rely on players like Sulemana and Mara who offer us next to nothing.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

All I’m saying is it was deemed a bit of a coup when we signed him and SAA from Spurs, so don’t be surprised when stories like this appear that he’s ready to move.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

It’s not a question of effort, those players are just better than the ones playing in our own academy.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

Saw him at Gillingham and he looked out of his depth tbh.

The whole team looked out if its depth that night, but tbf it was a clusterfuck of a selection, ie Perraud at CB