Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

10 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Well I think if we sign someone for 12m then give them a contract for 12 years then the not unlimited budget goes a lot further. Are we allowed to do 120 year contracts? 😉

That will be the Ramsdale special!

Sky reporting European interest in Jayden Meghoma.

Ajax, Anderlecht, Basel and Red Bull Salzburg are monitoring Southampton’s teenage defender Jayden Meghoma. 

Meghoma joined Southampton two years ago from Tottenham and made four senior appearances, all in the cup competitions. 

But extended first-team opportunities have yet to materialise for the England youth international, alerting his overseas admirers. 

Meghoma, 18, has one year left on the professional contract he signed last summer and will be able to sign a pre-contract agreement with a foreign club in January.

In that case, Southampton would only be due a small compensation figure because of Meghoma’s age. 

Edited by SuperSAINT

Might explain his omission from the Spain trip? Should have maybe had more chances last season in the championship but really hard to throw him into the team now as we fight for survival. Bad timing. 

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

If reports about the Palace winger are true then its odds on Kameldeen or Sam Amo or both are going out on loan ( or sold in the former) 

In terms of the players' stats alone, I'm not seeing anything about Rak-Sakyi that suggests or indicates that he's a better player and/or prospect than either Kameldeen or Amo-Ameyaw. Would therefore be a bit of a head-scratcher if we are interested in him.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

I see Howe is playing his usual petulant twat role with Frasier and is making him train with the U21's while not granting him his move.

Probably something to do with us being the first team Newcastle play when the season starts and he doesn't want to be shown up. The transfer window will be still open after.

24 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Wasn't SAA meant to be off to Reading on loan?

Both Dibling and SAA have been offered the chance to go to Spain to 'stake their claim', Martin wants to see if either are really ready to push for a first team place. There are stacks and stacks of clubs interested in both for loan deals, L1 and Champ.

We'll probably see movement on this when they're back from Spain, I do expect at least one of those to head on a loan.

Not a great look for the "pathway".... Still if either Salzburg or Ajax are interested in him that's a much easier transition into top flight football than in the PL, with the bonus of Champions League 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Do you think our budget is unlimited then? 

Behave. The collocation of the words "limited" and "Budget" have a very specific meaning of "small".

We have no way of telling what is or isnt available. Published accounts are always a year behind and Sport Republic Holdings written statements on companies house may or may not show additional issuing of shares could be coming about. 

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Sky reporting European interest in Jayden Meghoma.

Ajax, Anderlecht, Basel and Red Bull Salzburg are monitoring Southampton’s teenage defender Jayden Meghoma. 

Meghoma joined Southampton two years ago from Tottenham and made four senior appearances, all in the cup competitions. 

But extended first-team opportunities have yet to materialise for the England youth international, alerting his overseas admirers. 

Meghoma, 18, has one year left on the professional contract he signed last summer and will be able to sign a pre-contract agreement with a foreign club in January.

In that case, Southampton would only be due a small compensation figure because of Meghoma’s age. 

Seriously fed up with this, he looked an excellent prospect, pretty much ready for the 1st team imo which counts for zero of course. I wonder if this is because we bought Manning and Martin didn't want him to play second fiddle. 

We have to use these youngsters or we will never have a decent academy again.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Not a great look for the "pathway".... Still if either Salzburg or Ajax are interested in him that's a much easier transition into top flight football than in the PL, with the bonus of Champions League 

This really isn't good news as another one looks to be heading out the exit door. What's even more frustrating about this one is we brought him on on big money for youth players and the one of the reasons others left is because we wouldn't pay them what we're paying him and the other guy we got at the same time.

• Like 3

Meghoma looked consistently better than Manning whenever he played last season but hardly played at all.  No wonder he wants to leave to get regular games.  Hurts to say it but manager at fault for this potential loss of a really promising prospect.  It could so easily have been otherwise.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

original post containing the link to the article ( @Saintsextra should start pressing the repost button, rather than repackaging original journalism) 

I guess he looks at a very confused pathway at Saints. If we do something as ludicrous as to buy that Palace youngster, SAA will be the next to pack up shop.

When Meghoma was brought in, he had Perraud and Small in front of him at the time - a genuine pathway. Relegation should have provided opportunities, but Manning was brought in and even when he wasn't available, Bree or even Stephens was played that side.

This year he'll look at it and see Manning, new addition Charlie Taylor, Wellington potentially coming in January and obviously Larios coming back from fitness.

The biggest question to me is wtf is our strategy with these young players? We seem to be doing a Chelsea at the moment, sweeping them up at a young age, with no genuine idea of how we'll play them.

• Like 6

Our 'pathway' is pretty much non-existent.  The likes of Dibling and Meghoma should have had more minutes last year - both looked extremely good prospects who were getting better with the more minutes they played.

This ridiculous link to a Palace young player that appears to be of a lower level than SAA and Dibling highlights our stupid strategy which appears to be ignore our own young players and buy in other young players from youth programs.  Obviously Lavia and Livramento were big successes (financially) but Bazunu, Edozie, Charles, Larios, Simeu were/are not

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I guess he looks at a very confused pathway at Saints. If we do something as ludicrous as to buy that Palace youngster, SAA will be the next to pack up shop.

When Meghoma was brought in, he had Perraud and Small in front of him at the time - a genuine pathway. Relegation should have provided opportunities, but Manning was brought in and even when he wasn't available, Bree or even Stephens was played that side.

This year he'll look at it and see Manning, new addition Charlie Taylor, Wellington potentially coming in January and obviously Larios coming back from fitness.

The biggest question to me is wtf is our strategy with these young players? We seem to be doing a Chelsea at the moment, sweeping them up at a young age, with no genuine idea of how we'll play them.

I wouldn't be surrpised if last season was one of the lowest in a long while in terms of number of appearances in the first team from 'break-through' U18/U21 players. When we got relegated, I assumed that would give more  opportunity to such players, not less. I guess what we don't know is whether that was down, in part, to Russ's attitdue towards blooding younsters or whether his hands were somewhat tied by our "promotion or bust" situation, i.e. he felt he had to play the players with the most experience to stand the best chance of promotion at the first attempt. I guess we'll only find out what Russ's attitude is to proactively promoting youngsters up through the ranks (i.e. "the pathway") if/when we find ourselves in comfortable PL mid-table territory, when the risks and consequences won't be as significant. 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

I see Howe is playing his usual petulant twat role with Frasier and is making him train with the U21's while not granting him his move.

He's just convincing Frasier that a move to Southampton is the correct decision. But as pointed out he'll probably wait until after the 17th before he lets him go.

Honestly i am surprised we aren't shopping more aggressively in France given their clubs not having a tv deal, we were linked with 1 but thought we would be after more, there are possible bargains to have.

On the other side i cant think of any french player who was ever any good for us outside of morgan getting picked up just after his birth back in the day.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Seriously fed up with this, he looked an excellent prospect, pretty much ready for the 1st team imo which counts for zero of course. I wonder if this is because we bought Manning and Martin didn't want him to play second fiddle. 

We have to use these youngsters or we will never have a decent academy again.

Saw him at Gillingham and he looked out of his depth tbh.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, washsaint said:

Our 'pathway' is pretty much non-existent.  The likes of Dibling and Meghoma should have had more minutes last year - both looked extremely good prospects who were getting better with the more minutes they played.

This ridiculous link to a Palace young player that appears to be of a lower level than SAA and Dibling highlights our stupid strategy which appears to be ignore our own young players and buy in other young players from youth programs.  Obviously Lavia and Livramento were big successes (financially) but Bazunu, Edozie, Charles, Larios, Simeu were/are not

Tbf we played Edozie a lot last season and before injury he was good. Simeu was low cost, Larios fucked himself injury wise and may go the way of Sam McQ, and obviously we're not going to write off Shea at 20 years old are we? 

5 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

If i remember rightly and my saintsweb accounting makes sense we bought tall paul for 15m in Jan 23 so this sale in what would be a 3 financial year so on our books he would be amortised at 5m this year so 7m would put us in profit i guess this year.

37 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Seems to me that the Academy players are just not up to it many go out on loan and rarely perform particularly well perhaps Jayden is just another one

• Like 1

Honestly some on here need a reality check and need to consider what it is that we want as supporters?

The reality was last season we had been relegated, we had sold a hell of a lot of the top players we had BUT were very fortunate enough to still have a squad strong enough to be one of the favourites for promotion. Lets not fool ourselves how hugely important financially to the club winning promotion was. That in itself put huge pressure on the management team to get us promoted at the first time of asking......failure to do so would have meant "we would now be looking at a team of youngsters because thats all that would be likely be left"

Was last season the time to experiment and give youth a chance, some might say yes but it wasn't your job in the balance! We needed as much experience as possible to get out of the Championship the first time of asking. It was not the season to be experimenting with youngsters....at least not in the league. Some were blooded in the Cup and some looked fairly decent but it would have been a massive gamble to have been relying on these kids in the league. Lets be completely honest here......no promotion would have been absolutely catastrophic for Southampton.

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Honestly some on here need a reality check and need to consider what it is that we want as supporters?

The reality was last season we had been relegated, we had sold a hell of a lot of the top players we had BUT were very fortunate enough to still have a squad strong enough to be one of the favourites for promotion. Lets not fool ourselves how hugely important financially to the club winning promotion was. That in itself put huge pressure on the management team to get us promoted at the first time of asking......failure to do so would have meant "we would now be looking at a team of youngsters because thats all that would be likely be left"

Was last season the time to experiment and give youth a chance, some might say yes but it wasn't your job in the balance! We needed as much experience as possible to get out of the Championship the first time of asking. It was not the season to be experimenting with youngsters....at least not in the league. Some were blooded in the Cup and some looked fairly decent but it would have been a massive gamble to have been relying on these kids in the league. Lets be completely honest here......no promotion would have been absolutely catastrophic for Southampton.

Excellent post. The youngsters clearly didn't do enough to be selected, as they would have been if they were good enough. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I also expected to see a fair bit more of the likes of Meghoma and SAA, last season. Edozie and Charles did get an amount of minutes.

I liked the energy of Meghoma and SAA too. However, as mentioned, Martin went with more experienced heads. Martin won't be the first manager to limited those minutes, to get to the deliverables of the season.

Manning offered more versatility and experience in that inverted role. Martin would have seen SAA in training, and must have gone with similar conclusions there, in a team that already struggled with tempo and passing through opponents.

None of the above had the same impact of Livramento or Lavia. Not holding down a first team place (Edozie got a decent run), meant minutes were going to be limited.

The trouble is, that next season will be no different, with survival the goal.

However, with the lack of attacking signings, it's a good chance for Dibling and SAA to stake a claim to getting close to regular games. SR will be only to keen to focus spending elsewhere, if one or more really looked capable of stepping up.

9 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Excellent post. The youngsters clearly didn't do enough to be selected, as they would have been if they were good enough. 

I was going to type pretty much that. So I can just pinch it instead.

Barcelona Saint said it wasn't the season to experiment with youngsters. But as that post and the above indicate, it's not an experiment when they've clearly consistently hit the levels required.

10 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I was going to type pretty much that. So I can just pinch it instead.

Barcelona Saint said it wasn't the season to experiment with youngsters. But as that post and the above indicate, it's not an experiment when they've clearly consistently hit the levels required.

The argument they might make is that they weren't given the opportunities to show their level consistently. Training is a different kettle of fish. 

28 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Absolutely, you know that if we did give youth a chance last season and it didn't go well, the same people complaining about losing our best youth players now, would be saying "same old saints, took the cheap option" 

• Like 2

It's a tricky situation I rate AA, Meghoma and Dibs would like to see them develop at Saints... 

But risking them in the Prem can we afford to do that ? Or just loan them out ? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Remember the clamour for Alexandre Jankewitz? He had to play because he was the future. He played, got sent off in the first minute of his debut. He left for first team football, joined Young Boys where he's played 6 times and spent the rest of him time out on loan. Plenty of people were dismayed that he wasn't getting first team football chances with us, but clearly Ralph was right and the fans weren't. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Barsiem said:

He’s nowhere near good enough yet.  If he wants first team football at 18 years old, he won’t get it here.

• Like 2

Russell Martin and the team must see him in training every day so will know if he is ready or not. What the play thinks is another matter. 

if we hadn’t got promoted I think they might have been given more of a chance this season, but last year was about getting back up at the first attempt.

is now the time to through an 18yr old into the premier league off playing u21 football only? Need a season playing every week imo and then judge for next season. 

The youngsters seem to expect to be first teamers by time they are 18 now and don’t want to work for it by going out on loan and proving themselves first 

Edited by EBS1980
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

It's a tricky situation I rate AA, Meghoma and Dibs would like to see them develop at Saints... 

But risking them in the Prem can we afford to do that ? Or just loan them out ? 

If Tyler isn't going to get a chance in the premier league, the club need to offer him a new deal and send him to the championship where he will play.

Saa is a really decent flair player bur I don't think he is ready for Premiee league in all honesty so a loan would be good here too.

11 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

I rarely hear from my nephew, who is a Posh supporter, but as an aside to another matter he wished us good luck with Ronnie Edwards: "A lot of potential".. Let's hope so.

cool story Sue.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

A lot of fans seem to be in the wrong jobs, they have a much better opinion on our squad and their capabilities than our manager and coaching team. 

I hate comments like this. There's so many examples of managers making mistakes. Martin himself would be the first to admit he makes mistakes all the time. He's not infallible. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

I hate comments like this. There's so many examples of managers making mistakes. Martin himself would be the first to admit he makes mistakes all the time. He's not infallible. 

Martin mentioned his frustrations in a number of post match interviews, often matching the criticisms on the match threads.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

A lot of fans seem to be in the wrong jobs, they have a much better opinion on our squad and their capabilities than our manager and coaching team. 

Would you have said that when Nathan Jones was in charge ?

Martin: “After what Alex [McCarthy] did at the end of last season, I think he's earned the right to be first choice.”

That quote scares the living living bejeezus out of me. This is going to play out just like I feared.

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

I think that is what a forum is for.

• Like 1