Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

4 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Both clubs are owned by SR, there is a clear attempt to circumvent the rules. 

Yes of course there would be. And I'm not advocating that we should actually do it. But there would have to be clear evidence of actual rules being violated for us to be punished, and it would be interesting to see what sort of case they could present that we couldn't successfully appeal against.

But you're probably right that we shouldn't attempt it, just in case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Don't think we've given up on Alcaraz yet. I'm also pleased that KWP wasn't part of some swap deal with Downes which suggests he may also be staying. Happy days. Once again, as many are saying, on to finding that striker...

I don't think it suggests that kwp is staying. 

53 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't think it suggests that kwp is staying. 

Been offered a contract so some small hope he 'may' stay, especially if he doesn't get the bigger offer he wants.

2 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

I didn't say it was illegal, but we'd be smashed by the PL, HoC, UEFA and FIFA due to trying to circumvent those rules.

It would never happen. 

plus the owner of that Russian club is Boris Rotenberg who is sanctioned by UK, EU, US and others. Do the club really want to tarnish the brand by getting involved with all this for a 3m quid player?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Been offered a contract so some small hope he 'may' stay, especially if he doesn't get the bigger offer he wants.

That story could also be the club are making other clubs aware that Bednarek and KWP only have a year left and haven't yet accepted a new contract.

6 hours ago, skintsaint said:

I just don't think we can afford to keep him and strengthen the squad sufficiently. 

• Like 3

Arsenal are buying or bidding for goalies like they going out of fashion. A young prospect and the wolves goalie the latest. Lends grist to the story mill that Ramsdale will be loaned out or sold. 

Would be very happy if we got him on loan. Looks like a 10.45pm announcement via Sky Sports news deadline day special 📢 🤫

9 hours ago, skintsaint said:

The sticking point with WHU seems to be the selling price.

SaintsExtra

@SaintsExtra

·

49m

Martin on GKs: “This will open up in the next few weeks because I think Matty [Lis] wants to play football. As it stands, he's probably behind Alex [McCarthy]. He's competing with Joe [Lumley] for that slot behind him because Alex is a top goalkeeper.” #saintsfc

@rees_julian

And this, I'm afraid, is why we will not stay up. McCarthy is not good enough, and wouldn't get in any of the other Prem teams. This continuing blindspot about goalkeepers will cost us the difference between staying up and going down. Lunacy.

PS interestingly no mention whatsoever of Baz. Worse injury than we expected or seeing him as not a contender when fit?

Edited by DT
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, DT said:

SaintsExtra

@SaintsExtra

·

49m

Martin on GKs: “This will open up in the next few weeks because I think Matty [Lis] wants to play football. As it stands, he's probably behind Alex [McCarthy]. He's competing with Joe [Lumley] for that slot behind him because Alex is a top goalkeeper.” #saintsfc

@rees_julian

And this, I'm afraid, is why we will not stay up. McCarthy is not good enough, and wouldn't get in any of the other Prem teams. This continuing blindspot about goalkeepers will cost us the difference between staying up and going down. Lunacy.

PS interestingly no mention whatsoever of Baz. Worse injury than we expected or seeing him as not a contender when fit?

If you read the article it's basically saying we will bring someone else in once Lis leaves. 

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If you read the article it's basically saying we will bring someone else in once Lis leaves. 

I can't see an article, only tweets. Where is it?

This bit is very worrying though

Martin: “After what Alex [McCarthy] did at the end of last season, I think he's earned the right to be first choice.” #saintsfc

@rees_julian

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, DT said:

SaintsExtra

@SaintsExtra

·

49m

@rees_julian

You've read that all wrong. Basically he says the club will look to bring in a GK once Lis leaves as he wants to play football.

The question mark is if we look for a keeper who is better than McCarthy or Lumley, or just look to fill a backup keeper slot? Hopefully it's the former.

Bazunu won't be seen this season, so not surprising he's not being mentioned.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, DT said:

SaintsExtra

@SaintsExtra

·

49m

@rees_julian

This does not say AMc us number one GK....

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Martin: “After what Alex [McCarthy] did at the end of last season, I think he's earned the right to be first choice.” #saintsfc

@rees_julian

He continued: "But as I said, if we lose one, and then someone else comes in, you just never know, do you? It's the same for any player in the squad.

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You've read that all wrong. Basically he says the club will look to bring in a GK once Lis leaves as he wants to play football.

The question mark is if we look for a keeper who is better than McCarthy or Lumley, or just look to fill a backup keeper slot? Hopefully it's the former.

Bazunu won't be seen this season, so not surprising he's not being mentioned.

The echo have interpreted it to mean that we could bring in another first choice keeper rather than a backup. 

38 minutes ago, DT said:

or more likely that he is closer to return than anticipated and therefore RM doesn't see relying on AM as such a big issue. Lis and Lumley are not going to get a look in once Baz returns. 

23 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

The echo have interpreted it to mean that we could bring in another first choice keeper rather than a backup. 

I would hope that's the case, McCarthy backup, Lumley third choice.

Or it could go as last season with McCarthy third choice given that our treatment of him was a bit bizarre for 90% of the season!

Edited by S-Clarke

You have to decipher RM words to the press. He uses a language which is readily understandable if you know what you’re looking for. 

In this instance he as good as said that Lis needs to get out on loan as he is not going to dislodge Alex, also that in the absence of another top goalie Alex is the #1, but that if another GK entered the building that may ( but I interpret it as WILL) change the GK status quo. 
Given that we wouldn’t loan out Lis only to get a similar standard or lower keeper I think it’s odds on if Lis gets a loan that we’d be looking at a new #1. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

You have to decipher RM words to the press. He uses a language which is readily understandable if you know what you’re looking for. 

In this instance he as good as said that Lis needs to get out on loan as he is not going to dislodge Alex, also that in the absence of another top goalie Alex is the #1, but that if another GK entered the building that may ( but I interpret it as WILL) change the GK status quo. 
Given that we wouldn’t loan out Lis only to get a similar standard or lower keeper I think it’s odds on if Lis gets a loan that we’d be looking at a new #1. 

Yes exactly. He isn't going to say McCarthy isn't number one until we definitely get someone else in. 

• Like 3

Southampton are ready to make an increased offer of £12m for Crystal Palace winger Jesurun Rak-Sakyi #saintsfc @reluctantnicko

We keep going back, loan with option, £7m and now £12m. There must be an Indication that a deal could be agreed?

Edited by goodymatt

15 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Southampton are ready to make an increased offer of £12m for Crystal Palace winger Jesurun Rak-Sakyi #saintsfc @reluctantnicko

We keep going back, loan with option, £7m and now £12m. There must be an Indication that a deal could be agreed?

£12m for a player who was out with a hamstring injury most of last season, never got into the starting 11 when fit and was loaned out to a League One club the season before that? Yep, sounds like the kinda transfer we'd make.... ;)

image.thumb.png.d1cf1edeaf07b3314fa339583b266b27.png

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, DT said:

@rees_julian

The Chinese whispers rip-off account is repackaging this tweet without linking to the article.

Just follow Rees-Julian  directly. 

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Be pretty fucked off if we waste one of our loan slots on him. Surely we have better within the club already than him?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I think he/his agent had said he’s keen.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Be pretty fucked off if we waste one of our loan slots on him. Surely we have better within the club already than him?

TBF he's a right sided winger and the only one I can think who naturally plays in that position is Sam Amo.

Does seem a strange one though - consensus seems to be that he's not ready for the premier league and ideally needs a season in the championship to develop.  

I think he could be a good player and if we had unlimited funds then it wouldn't be a bad investment but right now he's probably not what we need and that money could be spent better elsewhere (likewise with a loan).

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Has Alan Nixon ever got a story about us correct?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Or spunked £12m of our apparently limited budget on him to be honest - for a chance of staying up this season we need to go all out to sign the historically needed goalkeeper and centre forward as absolute priority.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

TBF he's a right sided winger and the only one I can think who naturally plays in that position is Sam Amo.

Does seem a strange one though - consensus seems to be that he's not ready for the premier league and ideally needs a season in the championship to develop.  

I think he could be a good player and if we had unlimited funds then it wouldn't be a bad investment but right now he's probably not what we need and that money could be spent better elsewhere (likewise with a loan).

Didn't Armstrong play a chunk of the season coming off the right? Hope we aren't considering playing him centrally again, we know he can't play up top in the Premier.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Or spunked £12m of our apparently limited budget on him to be honest - for a chance of staying up this season we need to go all out to sign the historically needed goalkeeper and centre forward as absolute priority.

Agreed. Hopefully not part of some arse plan to play Armstrong up top.

If reports about the Palace winger are true then its odds on Kameldeen or Sam Amo or both are going out on loan ( or sold in the former) and there may even be a chance that the RF loan / signing does not happen either. I can see in salary terms that might work but I’d be disappointed - especially after what we saw from Sam other day and from wee man last season. Kameldeen - a loan do him good. A sale may pay for the new guy. 

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

Yes.

2 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

yes, its so obvious. Fans can see it, perhaps there are plans being made behind the scenes. Please--someone to put the ball in the net and someone to keep the ball out of the net. Basic 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, trousers said:

£12m for a player who was out with a hamstring injury most of last season, never got into the starting 11 when fit and was loaned out to a League One club the season before that? Yep, sounds like the kinda transfer we'd make.... ;)

47 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Be even more fucked off splashing out that sort of money on a permanent deal...

8 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

One more time. 

If you spend £12million on a player with a 5 year contract. Only £2.4 million of that transfer cost goes on the books this year.

If you spend £12million on a player with a 4 year contract. Only £3 million of the transfer cost goes on the books this year.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Didn't Armstrong play a chunk of the season coming off the right? Hope we aren't considering playing him centrally again, we know he can't play up top in the Premier.

Ha, should have thought about Adam Armstrong.  I guess it's not his natural position although it probably should be now.

14 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Yes.

Wasn't he spot on with the Jay Rod stuff back in 2012? That's how I remember his name coming into the forefront, he was all over that deal.

2 minutes ago, Nolan said:

One more time. 

If you spend £12million on a player with a 5 year contract. Only £2.4 million of that transfer cost goes on the books this year.

If you spend £12million on a player with a 4 year contract. Only £3 million of the transfer cost goes on the books this year.

Yeah sure, that's the accounting side of it but I think it's the amount being potentially spent when it could be better used elsewhere that's the issue and not how it gets recorded.  Ultimately you still need to have the money.

3 minutes ago, Nolan said:

One more time. 

It’s not just about how it’s amortised though. I think the point is that we still have a limited pot of money to spend, and for a club like us, £12m is a big chunk of that to spend on a signing that on paper looks pretty underwhelming, especially when we have a screaming need for quality in other areas that don’t come cheap e.g. strikers. £12m spent on this lad is £12m less to spend on a goalscorer (or two). 

• Like 2

I think this young kid at Palace has potential, but I thought we were avoiding doing that this time in critical positions?

I get the CB signings, as we already had experience there - but we have lost Brooks, Fraser, never replaced Tella etc - we need PROVEN options in attack, at the moment our attacking options are horrendous and would be just about passable at Championship level. What will SAA and Dibling feel if we sign an unproven kid in their positions? Let's focus on developing our own young wide players, not spunking £12m on other clubs young wide players. Sure, buy wide attackers but they need to be proven and an upgrade surely? (Given our lack of quality in this area). This deal would be bonkers for all reasons.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Wasn't he spot on with the Jay Rod stuff back in 2012? That's how I remember his name coming into the forefront, he was all over that deal.

Believe so. *Possibly* Clyne too.

Absolutely nailed the Ings transfer when nobody else mentioned it. 

First reported the Palace winger interest and normally good with Man City links etc.

7 minutes ago, Nolan said:

One more time. 

For the first time, in case I am missing something.

It is nothing to do with the prospective accountancy, but rather two positions that have needed key strengthening at the club for getting on for eight fucking seasons.

5 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

For the first time, in case I am missing something.

It is nothing to do with the prospective accountancy, but rather two positions that have needed key strengthening at the club for getting on for eight fucking seasons.

My reference was to the fabled "Limited budget" you mentioned, rather than the positions.

of course, its best for all businesses to make it look like their budget is limited, the question is, "is that the truth?". 

Edited by Nolan

7 minutes ago, Nolan said:

My reference was to the fabled "Limited budget" you mentioned, rather than the positions.

of course, its best for all businesses to make it look like their budget is limited, the question is, "is that the truth?". 

Do you think our budget is unlimited then? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Do you think our budget is unlimited then? 

Well I think if we sign someone for 12m then give them a contract for 12 years then the not unlimited budget goes a lot further. Are we allowed to do 120 year contracts? 😉

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Well I think if we sign someone for 12m then give them a contract for 12 years then the not unlimited budget goes a lot further. Are we allowed to do 120 year contracts? 😉

It's what Chelsea were doing last year with their 8 year contracts. 

29 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I see Howe is playing his usual petulant twat role with Frasier and is making him train with the U21's while not granting him his move.

Yes, I saw that. Not sure what had been holding this up, but didn't account for Howe's ability to act like a cock.