Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

We will look to get rid of KWP and use that money for O’Reilly. 

This turn of phrase seems ridiculously disrespectful to KWP. It really feels like despite the players having busted a gut to gain us promotion, the level of toxicity on Saintsweb recently has ramped up in preparation for our return to the cess pit that is the PL. 

Whilst I will respect his decision, personally I'd be gutted if KWP left - hopefully we can persuade him to sign a new contract. Imagine Sugawara on the right and KWP on the left - that's a genuine PL attacking fullback pairing so why the negativity? 

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

That will be MASSIVELY frowned upon, perhaps to a level where we'd be in trouble (or SR certainly). 

Frowned upon by whom?

The PL have shown that they don't give a shiny shit about clubs bending rules and exploiting loopholes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Frowned upon by whom?

The PL have shown that they don't give a shiny shit about clubs bending rules and exploiting loopholes.

Eh, they have (finally) started dishing out penalty points.

• Like 1

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Eh, they have (finally) started dishing out penalty points.

Only where it is clear cut that rules have been broken.

There is no legal reason we couldn't loan a player from a Turkish club. How they obtained that player in the first place would surely be irrelevant.

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Only where it is clear cut that rules have been broken.

There is no legal reason we couldn't loan a player from a Turkish club. How they obtained that player in the first place would surely be irrelevant.

but it would not be any Turkish club would it. 

Anyway, not going to happen, the other 2 clubs just leech off us

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Frowned upon by whom?

This is not teams spending over the amounts they should, this is buying from Russia - completely different playing fields.

• Haha 1

Just now, Farmer Saint said:

This is not teams spending over the amounts they should, this is buying from Russia - completely different playing fields.

Exactly. There'd be a bit more interest in that transaction, and more than the FA, or EPL to worry about in scrutinising it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

Exactly. There'd be a bit more interest in that transaction, and more than the FA, or EPL to worry about in scrutinising it.

Yes do not forget we are not Man City 😃

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Probably just Putin the feelers out.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

Excited about getting O'Reily. I think that's the first signing this summer I've felt that way.

Thought we wernt getting him now? Is he even that good? One good season in the SPL doesn't scream break the bank.

1 hour ago, northam soul said:

No Nivea or Stewart in the Spain video.

Makes sense if they are having treatment, no point travelling if they can't take part in intense training sessions and matches , focus on getting fit to join up with the squad when they get back 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

Yes, he is that good.

In what way? I haven't seen him play so I'm not making any point, I'm genuinely asking.

This is a league that Scott Sinclair and our own Moi Elyanousi ripped to pieces. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

In what way? I haven't seen him play so I'm not making any point, I'm genuinely asking.

This is a league that Scott Sinclair and our own Moi Elyanousi ripped to pieces. 

I quite often watch Celtics games as i have a soft spot for them and can honestly say O'Reily is the standout player in all the games i have seen of theirs. He has a great eye for goal, his passing is excellent and he has a really good engine on him. He is the one player in Scotland i was really hoping we might go for. To be honest i would be surprised but delighted if we beat other teams to him. He could be the next Wanyama, Telfor or Van Dick......obviously he could also flop and flatter to deceive

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, JRM said:

Makes sense if they are having treatment, no point travelling if they can't take part in intense training sessions and matches , focus on getting fit to join up with the squad when they get back 

What’s up with Stewart now?

2 hours ago, Saint Scott said:

Thank goodness for that. Now let's move on to better targets

I hate this new bullshit agents, reporters say "project"

Like Che Adams is going "tell me what your 5yr plan is as a club, how will you move it forward, what is your budget, playing style etc"

In reality he is saying "how much is my wage again, ok make it a bit more and we can skip the need for a goal bonus"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If Stewart really isn't fit for the start of pre-season then we can't assume he will play a meaningful part next season. I get that there has just been a post-season break but, if he really was approaching fitness at the end of last season, you'd have thought he'd have kept the momentum up over the summer to be able to play a full part in pre-season.

2 new strikers required this summer.

• Like 4

Atalanta have had an €18m bid rejected for O'Riley but Celtic are willing to negotiate.

Personally don't think the transfer fee would be an issue for us. It would be wages/whether he actually wants to join us. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Atalanta have had an €18m bid rejected for O'Riley but Celtic are willing to negotiate.

Personally don't think the transfer fee would be an issue for us. It would be wages/whether he actually wants to join us. 

Hopefully we will break our transfer record to get O'Riley 🙏

• Like 2

I was only thinking last week that we had no equivalent to the Gaston Ramirez transfer saga in 2012.

Now I realise its O'Riley.

(For those needing reminding....)

Edited by Nolan
added link to Gaston thread
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Genuine question, but why haven’t they with Man City ?

Apparently it's because they're still being investigated, but I don't buy that totally.

If you look at it, Man City bring PL and FA a bucket load of $$$ in revenue, from overseas deals, marketing etc. Punishing them will be in effect punishing the money men of the PL, so they will leave them alone and alter the rules when it looks like they may fall foul of them.

Forest/Leicester/Everton don't have the same pull, so the PL can go all in on them to prove that they're following 'PSR' rules.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't want us to spend loads of money for the sake of it this season but I do think it's going to take something like shelling out on o'riley if its even a possibility to have a serious shot at survival. 

The trouble is the PL is a different beast now. We can't spend up to £20m any more, for reasonably talented AM's and CF's we'll have to repeatedly break our transfer record this summer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

The trouble is the PL is a different beast now. We can't spend up to £20m any more, for reasonably talented AM's and CF's we'll have to repeatedly break our transfer record this summer.

Imo if we sign o'riley, Clarke, Fraser, Ramsdale on loan, Bereton Diaz and another striker we will stay up. We won't be getting all of those players of course but that's the type of quality we will need. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Imo if we sign o'riley, Clarke, Fraser, Ramsdale on loan, Bereton Diaz and another striker we will stay up. We won't be getting all of those players of course but that's the type of quality we will need. 

The problem is that sort of outlay in $$ terms will put us on the brink of PSR punishments. It's all a load of nonsense really. You need to spend to compete, but can't spend out of fear of punishments. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Imagine the club and RM especially know the score with O'Riley because as you say that kind of offer is surely not beyond us. Sounds like Celtic want a good bit more but as ever it depends on the player and they usually end up where they want to go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

The problem is that sort of outlay in $$ terms will put us on the brink of PSR punishments. It's all a load of nonsense really. You need to spend to compete, but can't spend out of fear of punishments. 

Tbh selling KWP and ABK would help a bit. Think we should definitely be selling KWP this window - Sugawara looks like a decent player and a club like us can't be losing out on £15m odd to keep a player for one more season.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Do you actually know this or is it baseless speculation and cliché? We made good money last summer and spent little. Have already sold a couple this summer plus likely KWP for at least £15m.

I'm sure we can spend a decent bit more on a couple of perms plus a cheapy move for Fraser.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

ABK, Onuachu hand KWP sales should account for some of that. Maybe Alcaraz as well if we have to. 

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Imagine the club and RM especially know the score with O'Riley because as you say that kind of offer is surely not beyond us. Sounds like Celtic want a good bit more but as ever it depends on the player and they usually end up where they want to go.

If we are still in for him I'd be confident in saying that Martin knows he would be happy to come here. 

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Amortisation. a £30 million player with a 5 year deal is only £6 million in this years books.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Atalanta or Southampton, the poor lad must be having sleepless nights trying to decide.

• Haha 2

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Atalanta or Southampton, the poor lad must be having sleepless nights trying to decide.

That depends doesn't it. He might have a family and doesn't want to go abroad. He might have a great relationship with Martin and want to reunite with him. I don't think it's likely but it's more than a straight choice between Southampton and an obviously superior option. 

My mates a Dundee United fan and he seems to think their striker Rory Macleod is off to us. 18, not done much for seniors so sounds like another development signing. 

27 minutes ago, hippo said:

My mates a Dundee United fan and he seems to think their striker Rory Macleod is off to us. 18, not done much for seniors so sounds like another development signing. 

We were linked at the end of 2022.

& obviously have Dundee Utd alumini in scouting department.

41 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Just guessing but;

- £25m O’Reilly

- £15m Clarke (if we’re lucky)

- Nominal Fraser 

- BBD - Loan

- Ramsdale - Loan 

Obviously there will be loan fees involved, but doesn’t seem outlandish.

We’ve done £20m on THB and £15m plus add ons on Downes, £7m Sugawara and £6m Wood and Edwards combined. 

Recouped around £10m so far with Lyanco, Perraud and DCC. If we can get £5m for tall pall, £15m KWP. Suspect someone like Clarke will be dependent on if we shift a Sulemana, ABK etc.

Also, if we got Ramsdale and BBD on loan for example, could we still get another prem loan as BBD based abroad?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

Yeah but Turkey are not signed up to the sanctions against Russia. There is literally nothing to stop a Turkish club from signing a player from a Russian club and then loaning that player out again. So what rules would we actually be breaking?

It's no different to corporations setting up a shell company in Luxembourg to avoid paying UK tax. Everyone knows it's wrong and immoral, but it's also perfectly legal so there's no way to stop it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

ABK, Onuachu hand KWP sales should account for some of that. Maybe Alcaraz as well if we have to. 

Don't think we've given up on Alcaraz yet. I'm also pleased that KWP wasn't part of some swap deal with Downes which suggests he may also be staying. Happy days. Once again, as many are saying, on to finding that striker...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

If we are still in for him I'd be confident in saying that Martin knows he would be happy to come here. 

Yeah I think Martin could hold a lot of sway here .. in the same way that it helped with signing downes .,, 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Yeah but Turkey are not signed up to the sanctions against Russia. There is literally nothing to stop a Turkish club from signing a player from a Russian club and then loaning that player out again. So what rules would we actually be breaking?

It's no different to corporations setting up a shell company in Luxembourg to avoid paying UK tax. Everyone knows it's wrong and immoral, but it's also perfectly legal so there's no way to stop it.

It is different, there is framework and restrictions within football governing bodies

22 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I didn't say it was illegal, but we'd be smashed by the PL, HoC, UEFA and FIFA due to trying to circumvent those rules.

It would never happen. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

I didn't say it was illegal, but we'd be smashed by the PL, HoC, UEFA and FIFA due to trying to circumvent those rules.

It would never happen. 

It's probably moot anyway, cos I don't envisage this actually happening. But I don't see what power any of those bodies would have to actually punish us if it did. They can't just arbitrarily dish out punishment for something because they don't like it - they would have to present a clear case that specific rules/laws had been broken.

14 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It's probably moot anyway, cos I don't envisage this actually happening. But I don't see what power any of those bodies would have to actually punish us if it did. They can't just arbitrarily dish out punishment for something because they don't like it - they would have to present a clear case that specific rules/laws had been broken.

Both clubs are owned by SR, there is a clear attempt to circumvent the rules. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Haha 1