Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

56 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Availability is such an underrated attribute for a footballer and another reason why Adam Armstrong was so valuable last season.

Adams another who is very good in this aspect.

I'm pretty worried about the forward postions because Mara is clearly not PL level, Arma better from wide and Stewart simply can't be relied upon to be able to play.

We absolutely need two additions and good ones cost. If we don't get it right it will have a huge impact on our ability to stay up in what will be a very strong PL season.

We will need to finish above at least one established PL side and the three teams people generally accept might be catchable have forwards of the quality of Toney, Mbeumo, Wissa, MGW, Wood, Awonyi, CHO, Semenyo, Solanke etc - most a level above what we have and probably they will all add too.

At the moment how many decent PL players do we have in our squad who would improve teams like Brentford not many in my opinion but of course I could be surprised with results in the next few weeks

Just now, John B said:

At the moment how many decent PL players do we have in our squad who would improve teams like Brentford not many in my opinion but of course I could be surprised with results in the next few weeks

I see your point but I do think our success is more to do with getting the right players in for our system. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Wilson scored 10 goals in all comps last season, 9 in the PL and one against Chelsea in the cup. I'd only want him on loan personally but he's got a far better recent record than Ings and that's all that matters. As for the latter's 20 goal season, that was a one-off five years ago. His second best season is 12.

He’s injured again anyway so it’s probably moot. 

55 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I see your point but I do think our success is more to do with getting the right players in for our system. 

Are you suggesting that the right players are not the best

Lets hope they improve 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

How do you define "right players for our system"?

13 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

How do you define "right players for our system"?

What I mean is our success relies on specific players doing a particular job for our system and that supposedly better players may not actually be successful doing the job they are asked to do. Hence someone like Alcaraz who is clearly not a bad player may not fit into our system and a tall player not too great with his feet like Onuachu isn't going to fit whereas a player with this attributes may be successful in a different system. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BallBoy said:

Some names barely being mentioned that I am curious about. Ryan Fraser and David Brooks. I like them both as squad players.  

Fraser is going to sign just a matter of time. No idea about Brooks. 

28 minutes ago, BallBoy said:

Some names barely being mentioned that I am curious about. Ryan Fraser and David Brooks. I like them both as squad players.  

Brooks was hit and miss in the Championship, I wouldn’t take him now.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Fraser is going to sign just a matter of time. No idea about Brooks. 

Fraser didn't sign on loan until 25th August last time.  I wonder if Newcastle will hold out for a transfer fee, while we will want to take him on a free transfer (he has one year left)/loan. 

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Brooks was hit and miss in the Championship, I wouldn’t take him now.

aren't all wingers a little bit hit and miss? Trying to beat fullbacks is a t0ugh thing to do. Sometimes you manage it, sometimes you don't.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

aren't all wingers a little bit hit and miss? Trying to beat fullbacks is a t0ugh thing to do. Sometimes you manage it, sometimes you don't.

Yes. 
I like Brooks and think there is a good player in there considering what he has recently been through. A full season will see him improve. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Yes. 
I like Brooks and think there is a good player in there considering what he has recently been through. A full season will see him improve. 

I get the feeling what we saw last season is what we will get from him. Some lovely touches and flicks that create opportunities, some flashes of brilliance...but also games where he's a non entity. That's why Bournemouth let him go out on loan. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

Onuachu is due back training with us over the weekend, supposedly.

Just seen Echo story. Says he is back and will probably go to Spain for preseason. Just a matter of time until he departs though.

Just watched some video of Desire Doure from Rennes. He looks like one hell of a player. Transfermarkt has him worth €30m already, which probably means Rennes wont sell him for less than £50m, so I am guessing way out of our league.

Just now, Chez said:

Just watched some video of Desire Doure from Rennes. He looks like one hell of a player. Transfermarkt has him worth €30m already, which probably means Rennes wont sell him for less than £50m, so I am guessing way out of our league.

I thought he was at the centre of a tug of war between Man City, Chelsea and Bayern

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I thought he was at the centre of a tug of war between Man City, Chelsea and Bayern

At least that means we will be 'free from Desire'

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Fraser didn't sign on loan until 25th August last time.  I wonder if Newcastle will hold out for a transfer fee, while we will want to take him on a free transfer (he has one year left)/loan. 

Well he wants to come here and we want him. I still see it happening. 

• Like 3

Reading between the lines of Martin's latest comments, it would be extraordinary if kwp was still here at the end of the window. Not something we didn't already know of course. I just suppose it depends if a decentish club comes in for him and offers us enough cash. Imo he will go to spurs for 15 million. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Reading between the lines of Martin's latest comments, it would be extraordinary if kwp was still here at the end of the window. Not something we didn't already know of course. I just suppose it depends if a decentish club comes in for him and offers us enough cash. Imo he will go to spurs for 15 million. 

KWP would be stupid heading back to Spurs. He won't displace Porro as the starting RB.

Somebody like Villa would be a much better option for him IMO. I fancy him as a better player than Cash and they'll need strength in depth this season with CL football

1 hour ago, Chez said:

1 hour ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Yes. 

Brooks had many games last season where he was anonymous. Some good ones too but overall I wasn’t particularly enamoured. I still think some people are underestimating the step back up to the premier league, we need players who made mincemeat of the Championship not ‘squad players’.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

KWP would be stupid heading back to Spurs. He won't displace Porro as the starting RB.

Somebody like Villa would be a much better option for him IMO. I fancy him as a better player than Cash and they'll need strength in depth this season with CL football

Maybe but Porro won't be playing every game and they need a big squad like Villa. You can't blame him for wanting to assess his options but there's only about 7 teams who imo it would be worth his while signing for. If they aren't interested then I can't see him leaving saints for a direct rival. That rules out the likes of Brentford, forest etc. We still have a small chance. 

1 minute ago, Appy said:

Because he chose to leave probably. 

Odd that. I thought he was going back to Scotland or becoming a lawyer. I wouldn't say Brentford was vastly better than us to the degree that it was worth leaving what he had here. People loved him. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Odd that. I thought he was going back to Scotland or becoming a lawyer. I wouldn't say Brentford was vastly better than us to the degree that it was worth leaving what he had here. People loved him. 

Yeah it is, probably just wants a new challenge and I expect we weren’t willing to give him the contract he was after at his age. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Appy said:

Yeah it is, probably just wants a new challenge and I expect we weren’t willing to give him the contract he was after at his age. 

That's a good point. Maybe he wanted more than one year and he's just had a serious injury. 

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

What I mean is our success relies on specific players doing a particular job for our system and that supposedly better players may not actually be successful doing the job they are asked to do. Hence someone like Alcaraz who is clearly not a bad player may not fit into our system and a tall player not too great with his feet like Onuachu isn't going to fit whereas a player with this attributes may be successful in a different system. 

Agreed. 

3 hours ago, BallBoy said:

I think Brooks is cup tied for preseason games...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

No more sick notes please.

Lets start the season with Stewart, Ings AND Callum Wilson. Great idea. 

Good job we signed Nivea for his experience. 

• Haha 2

The amount of negative responses to decisions made by the club towards players who promoted us last season is staggering. It didn’t take long for the negativity to seep back in after the high of the playoff final. 

I’d imagine a major factor in last season’s success was Russell Martin instilling a positive team ethic around the club - one that had slowly eroded under Ralph and capitulated under Nathan Jones. 

Adam Armstrong and Stephens may not have cut it in the Premier League but they are an integral presence in this core of players. 

Those who think the likes of ABK and Alcaraz will put their previous stints behind them are deluded.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Appy said:

I’ve seen Stu Armstrong around London. He strikes me as the type of guy who would be looking for lifestyle over football. Yes, I know Southampton’s an hour or so away but there’s no comparison between the affluent areas of west London and Ocean Village…

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

The amount of negative responses to decisions made by the club towards players who promoted us last season is staggering. It didn’t take long for the negativity to seep back in after the high of the playoff final. 

I’d imagine a major factor in last season’s success was Russell Martin instilling a positive team ethic around the club - one that had slowly eroded under Ralph and capitulated under Nathan Jones. 

Adam Armstrong and Stephens may not have cut it in the Premier League but they are an integral presence in this core of players. 

Those who think the likes of ABK and Alcaraz will put their previous stints behind them are deluded.  

Seems a bit harsh on Alcaraz, he came out and said he wanted to stay last summer, signed a new contract whilst we were a championship club, and didn't kick up a fuss when he couldn't make the team.  Admittedly he wasn't that great when he did play but that's beside the point.  The loan move to Juventus suited the club as much as it did the player.

• Like 2

On 16/07/2024 at 09:30, goodymatt said:

This is interesting. The question is if Martin wants him. I’m all for keeping him, offers us something different and with no Stu (or replacement so far) it makes sense to keep. 

However, if Martin can’t trust him in his system, he’s definitely one that can raise funds to buy others.

Yes I agree, but not for anything like the 45 million we demanded from Juventus for a permanent move.

• Like 1