Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

6 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Wonder whose signing that off, with no DOF.

Didn't Parsons say they might not replace the DOF role with a like for like? There will be some interim sign off structure in place and they would have had to plan the transfer strategy weeks ago for both promotion/non-promotion scenarios.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

THB confirmed is a brilliant start to our summer business 🙂 hopefully we can tie up a permanent deal for Downes 🙂 and I think Fraser will be a done deal too 🙂

Edited by davefizzy14

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

What would people think about us signing Kalvin Phillips perhaps on loan especially if we miss out on Downes? I know he struggled at West Ham in a David Moyes system but surely "the Yorkshire Pirlo" would suit a Russell Martin team perfectly. Given our previous dealings with Man City, it seems plausible.

Beware Kalvin Phillips, he was over rated, over valued and has become a disaster area--ask any Hammers fan

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Lallana makes sense IMO. Probably on a one year playing contract with some form of coaching thrown in, as he wants to coach when he does retire.

Clearly won't be expected to play many minutes but has invaluable PL experience and has played under some of the best PL managers of recent times. I know his leadership was very much valued at Brighton despite limited playing time and he is someone who keeps standards high within the squad, with similar feedback from Liverpool too.

For minimal outlay it seems a solid move to bring in another British player and one who has a strong link with the club and might be seeking a longer term role here.

Was noticeable we signed British players last summer and I reckon we will try to keep that core.

Which is exactly why it doesn’t make sense. Whats the point of having a player that’s good for the dressing room but hardly plays? It’s all very well to be able to give the lads a few high five’s on the training ground but in the heat of the battle when things aren’t going your way and you need someone to turn to on the pitch what good is having a good bloke who never plays? if we were talking about James Milner that’s a bit different, someone you can bring on for 20 mins in a few different position and whose been there done that. 

Short memories from When he was here before, good player but a bit of a snivelling little drip, seem bigger bollocks on a spayed cat. 

• Like 9

I still believe the Lallana deal will be more focused around coaching, that's what he wants to get into now. He may be registered to help in and around the squad if rqd, bit like Theo's role in that sense I guess, but primarily I see him as a coach for the academy, working with Drew and co - who may occasionally appear in first team training and first team squads to add a little extra at times.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chez said:

unsettles Leicester, which is good for us.

When's Leicester's points deduction hearing going to be? 

7 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I still believe the Lallana deal will be more focused around coaching, that's what he wants to get into now. He may be registered to help in and around the squad if rqd, bit like Theo's role in that sense I guess, but primarily I see him as a coach for the academy, working with Drew and co - who may occasionally appear in first team training and first team squads to add a little extra at times.

Hope we are not paying him £50k a week to coach the u11s. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dellyears said:

Beware Kalvin Phillips, he was over rated, over valued and has become a disaster area--ask any Hammers fan

He's been poor for West Ham, costing them goals and games. Doesn't mean he couldn't turn it around.

His pressing and energy are exactly what we need in the middle of the park, but I can't see him being a RM type player.

4 minutes ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

JWP not a regular at Hammers........................

34 Premier league starts. 3 sub appearances. Joint combined most of any West Ham player. 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

What would people think about us signing Kalvin Phillips perhaps on loan especially if we miss out on Downes? I know he struggled at West Ham in a David Moyes system but surely "the Yorkshire Pirlo" would suit a Russell Martin team perfectly. Given our previous dealings with Man City, it seems plausible.

Avoid like the plague imo.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Chez said:

time is on his side, but looked ill equipped to run a midfield in the championship. He's going to have to make massive strides to be an effective holding midfielder in the Prem. he needs games. Lots of them to develop his game. A season out on loan at the right side could be the making of him.

Maybe we could loan Charles to Leeds? They really need a midfield! and would probably be there or thereabouts at the sharp end of the season.

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

Which is exactly why it doesn’t make sense. Whats the point of having a player that’s good for the dressing room but hardly plays? It’s all very well to be able to give the lads a few high five’s on the training ground but in the heat of the battle when things aren’t going your way and you need someone to turn to on the pitch what good is having a good bloke who never plays? if we were talking about James Milner that’s a bit different, someone you can bring on for 20 mins in a few different position and whose been there done that. 

Short memories from When he was here before, good player but a bit of a snivelling little drip, seem bigger bollocks on a spayed cat. 

Also acted the cunt when he left, refusing to play for us to force through the transfer to Liverpool. Got the ‘one-line leaving statement’ treatment which is saved for the dickheads so clearly pissed a lot of people off at the club. Goaded our fans when he came back to St Mary’s and Liverpool hammered us in that evening game. 

Showed his true colours then so not sure why he would be welcomed back by club or fans after that. It’s not like he’s going to make much impact as a player and if we’re looking for coaches who are former players then surely there are some out there who set a better example and showed some loyalty to the club when we needed them to. 

(And that full page ad of himself that he took out in the Echo was absolutely cringeworthy as well). 

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

Reading the recent Athletic article that explains Martin has a ‘Train how we play’ methodology, you would have to admit if you're going to 'Train how we play'  it would be useful to be doing it with some people who have played in the Premier League recently.

although Lallana wasn't an ever present on the pitch last season for Brighton, he did play over 45 minutes 13 times.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

Whats CoTs view on this , I cant believe it until Ive seen Nostradamus's quatrains spelling out the truth of this

35 minutes ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

Was on the bench every time I saw them towards end of the season

he was only substituted in 3 times (matches 29, 35, 36) . Starting line-up 34 times.

image.thumb.png.41b9265b5bbd3725bae84efe1c88b013.png

I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone would want Lallana, just because he’s been here before. Two years ago people were saying that anyone who didn’t want Bale back was an idiot. After six months of 20 minute MLS jogging sessions, in between rounds of golf, he went to the WC, was the worst player in it and promptly retired.

If you’re recruiting players based purely on attributes and fitness, Lallana isn’t even on the radar.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone would want Lallana, just because he’s been here before. Two years ago people were saying that anyone who didn’t want Bale back was an idiot. After six months of 20 minute MLS jogging sessions, in between rounds of golf, he went to the WC, was the worst player in it and promptly retired.

If you’re recruiting players based purely on attributes and fitness, Lallana isn’t even on the radar.

Can't comment on the full positives and negatives of brining in Lallana, have to assume the club has thought it through.  However, if we want a full squad that can compete in the premier league then we'll need to bring in some pragmatic (uninspiring) signings - the veteran pool is probably the easiest, most reliable way to do that.

Posted (edited)

Should be aiming for this IMO. Signings in caps.

GK: NEW#1, Lumley, Baz. Keep McCarthy if he'll take lower wages but no point keeping him on 70k a week or whatever.

RB: KWP, Bree

LB: NEW#1, FRASER, Manning, Meghoma go on loan

CB: THB, Janny B, Stephens, NEW or ABK

CM: DOWNES, NEW COMBATIVE PLAYER, Smallbone, Aribo, Charles, LALLANA?!

AM: Edozie, NEW (maybe Brooks), FRASER, Alcaraz, Dibbling/SAA

CF: Stewart, Armstrong, NEW

That's around 21 players, excluding emerging kids. 

Things to consider: 

- if we want to play a 433, the new striker will need to be an excellent all round player. AA won't be able to do it at PL, and Stewart is sicknote. I reckon we'll be better continuing with the 352-ish set up. Think it makes us stronger at the back and helps unlock Armstrong to concentrate on finishing. 

- Central Midfielder and GK are critical signings. We have got away with our central midfield this season by dominating the ball. Without Downes our stats have been crap. We need at least one new player who is strong, has endurance and recovery pace, as well as being able to look after the ball, or we will find other teams bearing down on our back line way too often. Lavia on loan would be awesome. We have seen the value of a good GK, in McCarthy over the last few weeks - Ramsdale?

Sulemana, Mara, Larios, Tall Paul, DCC, Perraud (christ, what a list).... not required.

Rothwell - thanks and good luck.

Adams - assume he's off and probably best for all if he does. Need to spend on a striker.

Stuey - I love the guy, but I feel he would be an expensive bit part.

So, my ideal:

Sign:

Ramsdale (ambitious, I know!)

THB, Fraser, Downes

A left back (not sure who). 

Lavia on loan. Ideally one other gritty midfielder with some experience. Don't laugh.... Henderson? 

Shell out big bucks on a striker from Europe.

Europe in two years, inshallah.

Edited by benjii

10 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Probably more an Ollie Lancashire kind of role, will play in the under 21s and coach at the same time.

• Like 1

In terms of returns, how about Antonio? Could add big physical presence up front and a good goalscorer. Could ask while on the phone for Downes...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, DT said:

In terms of returns, how about Antonio? Could add big physical presence up front and a good goalscorer. Could ask while on the phone for Downes...

34 year old Michail Antonio?

I don't really want Lallana but then I said similar about Fraser and he's been great. Maybe as he's a bit older he's changed a bit and could be an asset. You'd hope he'd want to make amends for how he left and could offer us  something. I bet he would have joined us in the championship too. 

Understand the valid arguments about the benefits Lallana can bring us now (there’s valid arguments either way) but really think people need to get over the way he left us thing now.

• Like 1

Lallana has had a great career. It was disappointing how he left but for me, a lot of water has passed under the bridge now. 
It was interesting that when Brighton were in between managers he stepped in to run the first team as the senior pro and the feedback on that time was very positive. Coaching / managing does seem to be his future. 

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't really want Lallana but then I said similar about Fraser and he's been great. Maybe as he's a bit older he's changed a bit and could be an asset. You'd hope he'd want to make amends for how he left and could offer us  something. I bet he would have joined us in the championship too. 

The way he behaved as captain on his way out still rankles with me. If he was 4/5 years younger then maybe i'd see the whole make amends thing but struggle to see what he offers as a player at this stage

Seems like it may be more a case of Saints doing him a favour than him giving back.

• Like 4

Personally I wouldn't take back any of the players on loan - they didn't want to be here when it mattered.  We should cash in on them now and put the money raised back in to the squad. And that includes ABK, Perraud and Alcaraz.

Hopefully getting promoted back to the premier league means we will get a bit more money for them all now though.

And I think its time to let Adams, McCarthy and Stuart Armstrong move on.

I'd also sell Mara and Sulemana back to France.

We need to try and keep the core of the team together - and build on it.  But we need to keep one eye on having a team capable of getting promoted again if the worst happens next season. We'd obviously lose players like Bednarek and KWP next summer if that happened.

For the same reason we should make full use of the loans we are allowed - is it still 5 in the premier league? - to make sure we don't get ourselves in a financial mess if that happens.

Fraser on loan for the season again makes sense to me - but I am not sure I'd spend a lot of money on a permanent transfer.

Downes is a must for the defensive midfield role - but we need to strengthen here whatever happens.  Maybe we should go for Ampadu and play him in his best position at CDM.  Maybe will go in for Hjulmand again.

A key signing for us will be a new number one  to replace Bazunu - Kelleher or Ramsdale on loan possibly.

What about Matt Targett on loan to fill the hole at left back? And he would add some passion, experience and leadership.

Ben Johnson on a free at right back perhaps? But will KWP stay? If Spurs or another club offer £35M do we cash in?  Or do we sell James Bree and upgrade?  

We will also need to add another CM or two to replace Stuart Armstrong and add a bit more depth - we've been linked with O'Riley at Celtic before so that one is a possible.  But we probably need 2.

The key signing above everything else will be centre forward - and we probably need 2 to compete with Ross Stewart and replace Adams.  If we our going to get the best out of Adarma he needs to play as a second striker or wide forward.  Bojan Mioviski has been linked so he seems likely - but who else? 

We also need 2 centre backs to add to Stephens, Bednarek and THB.  Nathan Woods from Swansea has been linked a couple of time and I could see this one happening. I've seen Rodon suggested but I am not sure about that one.  Maybe a signing from Europe we've never heard off.

And then we come to AMs or wingers/wide forwards.  We need a couple of these.  Jack Clarke from Sunderland or Whittaker from Plymouth perhaps.  Bereton-Diaz on loan? Reiss Nelson?

It was always going to be a summer of change again - but now it will be a much more exciting one!

I do think it makes sense to sign the best players from the Championship -  I think they have more chance of making it in the premier league than players from other leagues outside of the big 5 leagues.

14 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Understand the valid arguments about the benefits Lallana can bring us now (there’s valid arguments either way) but really think people need to get over the way he left us thing now.

For me it's more that the manner he left showed what type of person he was at the time. Certainly not selfless and ready to sacrifice for the good of the team. Hopefully he's grown up a bit. 

2 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Personally I wouldn't take back any of the players on loan - they didn't want to be here when it mattered.  We should cash in on them now and put the money raised back in to the squad. And that includes ABK, Perraud and Alcaraz.

Is that fact or speculation?

2 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Maybe we could loan Charles to Leeds? They really need a midfield! and would probably be there or thereabouts at the sharp end of the season.

Good shout. 

Signings;

Trafford goalkeeper from Burnley

Max Mittelstadt left back from Stutgart

Romeo Lavia midfiled loan from Chelsea

Jobe Bellingham attacking midfielder from Sunderland

Jack Clarke left wing from Sunderland

Bojan Miovski striker from Aberdeen

3 hours ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

JWP not a regular at Hammers........................

Sooner have Downes to be honest. Had JWP gone to a big club I could of fully understood his move but West Ham was his desperate bid to stay in the England frame......which he never was, his time there has passed under Southgate.  

5 minutes ago, saintant said:

Signings;

Trafford goalkeeper from Burnley

Max Mittelstadt left back from Stutgart

Romeo Lavia midfiled loan from Chelsea

Jobe Bellingham attacking midfielder from Sunderland

Jack Clarke left wing from Sunderland

Bojan Miovski striker from Aberdeen

While I would love the Lavia we knew to come back, he has played only 1 game for Chelsea. How bad was the injury that caused him to miss the end of the season?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dman said:

Im convinced the plan is that Lallana will be our next manager, providing Martin is sucessful enough to last a year or 2. 

It’s not out the question. Think he’d need to go manage lower leagues first earn his stripes etc. Both him and JWP have a certain look of Manager pre-destination about them. If RM can make it so can ( better players and equally bright), AL and JWP. 
NB not that I believe good player= good manager. And as for if Adam is bright enough I do not know for certain- but JWP has always seemed articulate to me and fits the bill for young English manager with international and all lower leagues plus EPL experience to a Tee..

Edited by gio1saints

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

A young keeper who was dropped by Burnley. No thanks.

So you want a goalkeeper who has never been dropped. How much do you think he'll cost?

Edited by saintant