Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Available players who I am confident will be able to do a job in the prem or who has previously done a job:

Sugawara 

THB 

Bednarek 

Taylor 

Downes 

Players who may do a job but not sure:

Edwards 

Armstrong 

Lallana 

Stewart 

Aribo 

So quite a few unknowns and midfield and attack is the main thing that needs improving. There might be a couple who surprise us though. 

A little harsh on Smallbone, but it's very clear we need to strengthen the forward line, especially if the wee man isn't joining

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Danbert said:

A little harsh on Smallbone, but it's very clear we need to strengthen the forward line, especially if the wee man isn't joining

Alcaraz can also do it in the Premier League

20 minutes ago, Danbert said:

I think he's a nice lad just don't think he's prem quality. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, grezz said:

Steward’s inquiry. Shilton had a big name which I personally thought was undeserved but which I accept gave us something. Boruc, eccentric as he was sometimes was better keeper for us in my opinion. 

Niemi - best we ever had

Shilton’s big name undeserved!  Good grief - he was the world’s best keeper for years.

• Like 15

Let's not kid ourselves without a decent creative outlet or striker we will be playing Championship football next season... 

Stating the obvious I know! But we really need to stop being clever, put some money on the table and go and sign two marquee signings 

• Like 1

https://x.com/solentsport/status/1814178363755438451?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

Update from Martin on signings so far, Che’s contract, the people running the recruitment and the upcoming pre season trip to Spain.

In summary, sounds like everyone is involved in the transfers. Ball in Che’s court but not expecting him to sign any time soon. Strategy is for hungry players that are desperate to play for us as well as in the PL.

Edited by goodymatt
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

https://x.com/solentsport/status/1814178363755438451?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

Update from Martin on signings so far, Che’s contract, the people running the recruitment and the upcoming pre season trip to Spain.

In summary, sounds like everyone is involved in the transfers. Ball in Che’s court but not expecting him to sign any time soon. Strategy is for hungry players that are desperate to play for us as well as in the PL.

Surely if the strategy is for hungry players that are desperate to play for us, why are we letting Che bide his time.

Notwithstanding he has demonstrated with us he isnt good enough, and clearly not hungry enough to play for us either.

Literally wtf are we doing - been a very good start to the pre season with signings, really hoping we move on from him. Be gutted if he signs a new deal.

The way I look at it is if Che was at the end of his contract with someone like, say Wolves, having performed the way he has done, would we be interested in signing him - surely nobody at the club would think it was a good move?

• Like 7

Che has got a fucking nerve making us hang on while he tries to get a move elsewhere.  We’re the ones doing him a favour, on account that he is fucking garbage.

We should withdraw his contract offer and move on.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, SW5 SAINT said:

and Carillo before that…..😧

Wouldn't Ings have been before him? The best one we've made for many years for sure, although that was totally up for debate when we had to turn the loan permanent. But it all worked out well in the end, £20m well spent for sure.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Wouldn't Ings have been before him? The best one we've made for many years for sure, although that was totally up for debate when we had to turn the loan permanent. But it all worked out well in the end, £20m well spent for sure.

Yep. £20m negotiated about 5 years ago is probably £35-40m today in football inflation terms, and probably the budget we need to get a proper striker capable of giving us a fighting chance of staying up. 

18 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Che has got a fucking nerve making us hang on while he tries to get a move elsewhere.  We’re the ones doing him a favour, on account that he is fucking garbage.

Agreed. We should withdraw our interest in Che on the important grounds that he is, actually, shit

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

If we're thinking of either getting a new striker and keeping Che, or getting two new strikers if Che leaves then I can kind of see the point in leaving the door open for him.  He's not great, he'll probably get you around 8 goals but you do know what you're getting with him, knows the system and won't disrupt things.  Renewing his contract would be cheaper than say getting Brereton-Diaz in and there's no guarantee he'd be any better.  A free like Iheancho would be similar cost wise but comes with more uncertainty (could be better than Che, could be worse).  If renewing his contract saves money for another striker then maybe it's worth it?

Personally I think it's best for all concerned if Che goes elsewhere and I think both club and player could do with parting ways but from a financial aspect keeping him as a squad player might not be the worst thing.  Obviously if he's asking stupid money and expects to be the main man then we definitely need to move on.

17 minutes ago, SW5 SAINT said:

and Carillo before that…..😧

been bloody grim hasnt it. Still theres time enough for Ings to also be mentioned aswell, and can AA find the composure in front of goal in the prem ,hope so.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grezz said:

Steward’s inquiry. Shilton had a big name which I personally thought was undeserved but which I accept gave us something. Boruc, eccentric as he was sometimes was better keeper for us in my opinion. 

Niemi - best we ever had

Shilton undeserved big name - Christ on a bike!

He was still the country's top keeper aged 41 at Italia 90, four years after leaving Saints.  Throughout his entire career he was also a good deal better than Ray Clemence (75 caps), who was picked mainly because he was at Liverpool, whilst PS always played for 'unfashionable' clubs.  Arguably Shilton deserved to achieve 180 England caps between 1970 and 1990.  He was also the defensive pivot of the best Saints side of all time.  Niemi was a very good athletic keeper, but there isn't really a viable comparison if you saw both play. 

• Like 13

36 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Business sense would be if hasn't turned us down then you leave it open but when/if a replacement is found at the right price Che will find that offer quickly withdrawn

31 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep. £20m negotiated about 5 years ago is probably £35-40m today in football inflation terms, and probably the budget we need to get a proper striker capable of giving us a fighting chance of staying up. 

Be serious. We aren't spending 40 million on a striker. 

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Be serious. We aren't spending 40 million on a striker. 

I didn't say we were. I said that's probably the budget we need. 

6 minutes ago, egg said:

I didn't say we were. I said that's probably the budget we need. 

Well then I disagree. There's no reason at all to believe that we can't spend substantially less than that on a striker or two and manage to survive this year. I still think it's likely we will go down but we don't need to spend that much on one player to prevent it. 

Che: Both sides keeping their options open, in an amicable way. Seems sensible.

If we struggle to get players in, then we can always return to our offer, if we need to. If we do get players in, then fine too. Che's a known quantity, and a free agent. If he wasn't our player, we'd be looking at him.

From Che's side, he has an offer on the table, and can look to see if better deals are available. If ours has any deadlines on it, we'll get an early decision. If not, his agent has the window to get a better deal than ours.

If he signs for us a bit later, he's still going to drop seamlessly into the squad, having already been here under Martin.

Both sides being on what seems to be good terms, finding the best solution for themselves.

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Agreed. 

I suspect that his dismal performance for Scotland in the Euro’s has dampened interest.

I’m surprised that saints are still open to him renewing his contract when he is a mediocre forward at best and obviously doesn’t want to be here.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Well then I disagree. There's no reason at all to believe that we can't spend substantially less than that on a striker or two and manage to survive this year. I still think it's likely we will go down but we don't need to spend that much on one player to prevent it. 

The lower budget (in real terms) strikers have all been an absolute disaster. We've bought cheap ISH a few times and it's bitten us. You get what you pay for. We need quality. 

• Like 1

If I’ve got a chance to earn life changing money somewhere else even though I have a decent offer on the table I’m 100% gonna look at it. Wanting or not wanting to be somewhere would not be my primary consideration. It might be for us Saints supporters but let’s get real- Che is trying to get the most ££ he can now he’s on a free and it’s unlikely Saints are going to offering him more or even close than many other comparable clubs including Saudi as a wage and or  a sign in fee. Not got an issue with that. Wether he’s good enough yes I have my doubts and prefer we get someone new- but this waiting game- totally as you’d expect.,

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, egg said:

The lower budget (in real terms) strikers have all been an absolute disaster. We've bought cheap ISH a few times and it's bitten us. You get what you pay for. We need quality. 

who is there we could get on loan? Callum Wilson maybe? Newcastle willing to let him leave but he's proven and would fit the way we play. Injury record questionable though.

As i said before im a firm believer that strikers and glovesmen you need quality. You need a sold experienced spine, you can get away with a few young, hungry, guarenteed to improvers if you've got a strong spine and a few seasoned, quality players around them.

Buy cheap you buy twice (or in our case 6 or 7 times) has never been more apt when it comes to key positions.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

Agreed. 

I suspect that his dismal performance for Scotland in the Euro’s has dampened interest.

I’m surprised that saints are still open to him renewing his contract when he is a mediocre forward at best and obviously doesn’t want to be here.

Totally agree........

however to play devils advocat if you look from the clubs point of view he has played Premier League before, he has scored a few goals in the league so unlike the unproven Stewart for instance they could make the case he is a Premier League striker (if you have a very very low bar). If the idea is he's back up, an off the bench option I can see why they are holding out, although persoanlly I wouldnt. But if they are viewing him still as the possible no.1 striker we are in the shite.

Edited by beatlesaint

1 hour ago, egg said:

That transfer fee inflation is fine for the megaclubs who's income has also swelled, but we are like the common man on the street. The price of everything has skyrocketed, but income hasnt changed all that much. Our accounts show that the money just isn't there to fork out £40m for players.

36 minutes ago, egg said:

In recent times there are quite a lot of higher budget strikers that have bitten clubs. Scammacca and Beto spring to mind. Villa spent how much on Ings? Did they get what they paid for. Very tough to find strikers that can play on their own and score a shed load of goals.

38 minutes ago, egg said:

I'm sorry I simply don't agree that we can't survive this year without dropping 40 million on a striker. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Wsaint said:

Great bit of business.

Win lose or draw this season we know he'll put a shift in. Work ethic is unquestionable.

If the worst happens and we go down, easily one of the best strikers in the championship.

Hope he takes forward the confidence he earned from last season. 👏

Edited by Hopper
  • Like 9

Che is probably having a reality check. He's a reasonable striker who has shown he can bag 5+ goals in the Prem. He's a physical presence and remarkablely robust. He always gives his all, and personally I prefer him playing a little deeper. His assists are often better than his goal.

He's an option for Saints and I suspect the contract reflects that. A back up plan if Stewart doesn't click.

However I really hope the club don't waste money on Ings or Wilson. Both sick notes.

Still like to see Paul Onuachu given a chance. Daft spending so much on him and not playing him. Probably on my own there.

• Like 2

Just now, Hopper said:

Great bit of business.

Win lose or draw this season we know he'll put a shift in. Work ethic is unquestionable.

If the worst happens and we go down, easily on of the best strikers in the championship.

Some strikers take a while to find the premier league groove even though they are clearly the best in the Championship, hopefully Arma's confidence from last year combined with his previous experience and hopefully the side playing well will see him deliver.  If we could get 10-15 league goals out of him that would go a long way to keeping us up. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Turkish said:

who is there we could get on loan? Callum Wilson maybe? Newcastle willing to let him leave but he's proven and would fit the way we play. Injury record questionable though.

As i said before im a firm believer that strikers and glovesmen you need quality. You need a sold experienced spine, you can get away with a few young, hungry, guarenteed to improvers if you've got a strong spine and a few seasoned, quality players around them.

Buy cheap you buy twice (or in our case 6 or 7 times) has never been more apt when it comes to key positions.

Gets the likes of Wilson and Ramsdale on loan and we look a completely different outfit. Scary wages, but without the transfer fee risk at least. Not sure either would Wana drop to our level though.

3 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Great bit of business.

If the worst happens and we go down, easily one of the best strikers in the championship.

I'm hoping he just feels like he belongs this time around, is played in that right wing position and just cracks it. His work rate has been great, but we need his ruthlessness in front of goal to continue otherwise we won't stay up.

Happy with that, was saying the other day, hopefully a year in the championship playing in our system and building up his confidence again will mean he can really have a go at it in the prem. Coming in to that shit show of a team and situation I'm not surprised he didn't perform as wed all hoped first time around.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Che is probably having a reality check. He's a reasonable striker who has shown he can bag 5+ goals in the Prem. He's a physical presence and remarkablely robust. He always gives his all, and personally I prefer him playing a little deeper. His assists are often better than his goal.

He's an option for Saints and I suspect the contract reflects that. A back up plan if Stewart doesn't click.

However I really hope the club don't waste money on Ings or Wilson. Both sick notes.

Still like to see Paul Onuachu given a chance. Daft spending so much on him and not playing him. Probably on my own there.

He didn't get the right service, but equally he looked unable to control a football at times. Terrible decision to sign him.

He will be joining trabzonspor on a permanent de in the very near future.

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

True. I'd probably put him down as a maybe in Martins system though. 

If we're gonna move towards a 352, I'd love to see him played as one of the 2 and given a free role to float. 

Alcaraz and a fit stewart could be a real handful for any side next season imo. 

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Agreed. If we can't pay proper money for a proper striker, we need to go all out on a big loan and suck up the wages and loan fee. Whatever else we do to strengthen our team is a waste of time if we ain't investing in goals. 

Was bored and looking for south american young players type lists and the amount of highly rated players that Brighton have got from these lists is pretty damn decent, fair play to them.

Then i remembered what about Santiago Gimenez from Feyenoord here, really good centre forward played for them for a couple of years, mexican international, 23 yrs old.

Reminds me of another feyenoord legend Pelle just a bit faster and less handsome, out of our price range on this valuation but this is the eredevise, offer them 25m + 10% sell on.

image.thumb.png.8b1526d5952bbae216be81cf202486d4.png

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Wilson apparently has a price tag of £15 Million.

Oof. That might be a stumbling block to a move. I wonder who is paying that when they can get him for nothing next year? He's 32 (33 in Feb) and on a massive wage (probably bigger than anything we pay right now) until 2025.  His injury record (days out, number if injuries, games missed) would be very concerning for any suitor:

23/24 156 days 5 28
22/23 45 days 2 9
21/22 173 days 2 30
20/21 99 days 4 18
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattio said:

Never forget...

spacer.png

There's been a few, remember someone made a Mr Men book for him, Mr Sitter 

This was awful Boro home last season 

IMG-20240330-WA0005.thumb.jpg.f31372efb23d65d8372a5a0a6a947761.jpg

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, waylander said:

That is affordable. His wage demands may not be

Affordable yes but when you consider his injury record and age, I really don't think it's a 'safe bet' as people think

1 hour ago, Dman said:

If we're gonna move towards a 352, I'd love to see him played as one of the 2 and given a free role to float. 

Alcaraz and a fit stewart could be a real handful for any side next season imo. 

Where does AA fit in to that equation? 

2 hours ago, a1ex2001 said:

If we could get 10-15 league goals out of him

It’ll be a fucking miracle. 

If him & Che fucking Adams play regularly, the outcome will be exactly the friggin same as last time they “performed “ in this league. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LeG said:

Bednarek is considering his options. Same as Che and KWP.

Bednarek in valuation terms owes us nothing. I think we bought him as an U21 international for £5m ?. We've had our use of him. As far as I'm concerned if somebody wants to pay over the top, fine. If we need another year out of him we can afford to let his contract run out next year. I don't know what our negotiations about a new contract are currently if any. I think the club should keep him for his experience.

• Like 1