Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Just now, Dusic said:

For the right kind of fee, e.g under £25m then yes, potentially.

Its the hardest position to recruit for and there aren't a lot of options. We are not going to be signing a proven PL player in their prime so these are the types, alongside players like Broja, that I am sure the club will be looking at.

I've always felt that he's the sort of player, with a run in a side, who could turn out to be above average at this level. Defo could be a squad forward for England with the game time behind him.

I doubt he's available for under £25m. Palace tried to sign him last year for around £30m, but couldn't agree a price - so gave up, he then signed a new deal.

£40m+ in my opinion, which is insane. I think we should have a look at a loan deal for him, but these are the sorts of deals that will crop up at the end of the window. Arsenal will obviously priorities a sale, but if there are no takers then for his benefit and their benefit (protecting value), they'll probably sanction a loan.

That begs the question.....Ramsdale or Nketiah? You can only grab 1 loan from a PL club.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

I've always felt that he's the sort of player, with a run in a side, who could turn out to be above average at this level. Defo could be a squad forward for England with the game time behind him.

I doubt he's available for under £25m. Palace tried to sign him last year for around £30m, but couldn't agree a price - so gave up, he then signed a new deal.

£40m+ in my opinion, which is insane. I think we should have a look at a loan deal for him, but these are the sorts of deals that will crop up at the end of the window. Arsenal will obviously priorities a sale, but if there are no takers then for his benefit and their benefit (protecting value), they'll probably sanction a loan.

That begs the question.....Ramsdale or Nketiah? You can only grab 1 loan from a PL club.

That's a tough question. I'd take Nketiah, just. 

7 hours ago, revolution saint said:

What is it with trying to bloat out the squad?  Yesterday there were calls for a backup for Downes and now you want another CB.  We've already got six.  Meanwhile up front we've got Ross Stewart untested virtually jumping two divisions and hasn't played in any meaningful way for 18 months, Adam Armstrong who couldn't cut it last time out in the premier league and Sekou Mara.  Attacking mid positions look weak as f*ck too.  There are far more higher priorities than another CB.

Are our CBS currently good enough? I'm unsure - quantity maybe, quality...

THB is untested in the Prem though will probably be good enough as a first choice based on his showing for the last two seasons.

Bednarek and Stephens were loaned out last time we were in the Prem (although Jan had a good season last season so I'd be happy with him starting but then there's the contract situation).

ABK doesn't want to play for us apparently.

Edwards is a signing I like but will jump two years - much like Ross Stewart that you mentioned as an attacker.

Wood - again untested at this level and is a player Swans fans were happy to see the back of. 

I agree we need to strengthen our attacking options, and urgently, but it doesn't mean we can't continue to strengthen other departments, finances pending. Also, I'm not one that thinks we should be bringing in a back up for Downes - we should be bringing in another first choice midfielder than perhaps can also play more as a DM - otherwise we have Charles who we have to trust will be good enough as a back up.

Just now, SNSUN said:

Are our CBS currently good enough? I'm unsure - quantity maybe, quality...

THB is untested in the Prem though will probably be good enough as a first choice based on his showing for the last two seasons.

Bednarek and Stephens were loaned out last time we were in the Prem (although Jan had a good season last season so I'd be happy with him starting but then there's the contract situation).

ABK doesn't want to play for us apparently.

Edwards is a signing I like but will jump two years - much like Ross Stewart that you mentioned as an attacker.

Wood - again untested at this level and is a player Swans fans were happy to see the back of. 

I agree we need to strengthen our attacking options, and urgently, but it doesn't mean we can't continue to strengthen other departments, finances pending. Also, I'm not one that thinks we should be bringing in a back up for Downes - we should be bringing in another first choice midfielder than perhaps can also play more as a DM - otherwise we have Charles who we have to trust will be good enough as a back up.

We're not signing anymore CB's, absolutley no chance. We feel we have the PL experience in Bednarek and Jack Stephens, and the huge potential in THB and Edwards - backed up by Woods.

We won't get any more in this area. We're done at CB and I could even see us trimming that down by a player or 2 before the end of the window.

Money needs to be thrown at the top end now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Arsenal are not interested in a loan. They want a sale, and are looking big money. Loan will not happen.

They might only be looking to sell currently but I’m not sure there are too many clubs who can afford what Arsenal would want in terms of a fee and his wages tbh.

Arsenal are bringing in a keeper from Ajax, assuming as their third choice option.

How I imagine it will go is nobody will buy him and towards the end of the window they will look to shift on loan. IF we have any interest I expect it might be one that’s done nearer the end of the window after the season has started. 

• Like 1

Nketiah was a player I looked at a couple of weeks back for a possible striker acquisition given my lack of knowledge of world football. But, he does have a few negatives around him - Main ones are cost - He's on £100k+ a week at Arsenal, as the top clubs do with their squad players, which is expiring in 2027. Arsenal will also want £20m+ for him. Then his age, he's 25, so not really that young anymore and you'd have expected to have seen a bit more from him by now. 5 goals in 27 and 4 in 30, his last two Premier League seasons.

10 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

They might only be looking to sell currently but I’m not sure there are too many clubs who can afford what Arsenal would want in terms of a fee and his wages tbh.

Arsenal are bringing in a keeper from Ajax, assuming as their third choice option.

How I imagine it will go is nobody will buy him and towards the end of the window they will look to shift on loan. IF we have any interest I expect it might be one that’s done nearer the end of the window after the season has started. 

Actually contrary to what I said based on  reports a couple of days ago, it seems like Arsenal are now considering a loan, report today. 

https://thehardtackle.com/transfer-news/2024/07/18/arsenal-open-to-loaning-out-aaron-ramsdale-instead-of-permanent-sale/

19 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Nketiah was a player I looked at a couple of weeks back for a possible striker acquisition given my lack of knowledge of world football. But, he does have a few negatives around him - Main ones are cost - He's on £100k+ a week at Arsenal, as the top clubs do with their squad players, which is expiring in 2027. Arsenal will also want £20m+ for him. Then his age, he's 25, so not really that young anymore and you'd have expected to have seen a bit more from him by now. 5 goals in 27 and 4 in 30, his last two Premier League seasons.

Yeah, goal return isn’t great for a decent team. I never really rated him that much, he’s ok but never seemed anything special. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We're not signing anymore CB's, absolutley no chance. We feel we have the PL experience in Bednarek and Jack Stephens, and the huge potential in THB and Edwards - backed up by Woods.

We won't get any more in this area. We're done at CB and I could even see us trimming that down by a player or 2 before the end of the window.

If that is the case, then I am really hoping the youngsters make the step up. 

5 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Some more comments from Martin on Che, sounds like the contract offer is still there for him but we aren’t expecting him to sign it any time soon.

https://x.com/lewiscoombes/status/1814018121310593410?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

I think at this stage the club should just pull it, it's done. He's going to be missing chunks of pre-season now, and we have to plan alternatives. We can't let his limbo hinder what we need to do.

Let's just replace him, let him go.

• Like 20

I have read this in a report on Welington:

“Southampton, who already have him signed up and are now working on bringing that forward.  Their current idea is to offer São Paulo a percentage of the player’s economic rights, something that is currently being rejected as the Brazilians would prefer upfront cash.“

What does “a percentage of the player’s economic rights “ mean?

Thnx in advance.

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think at this stage the club should just pull it, it's done. He's going to be missing chunks of pre-season now, and we have to plan alternatives. We can't let his limbo hinder what we need to do.

Yes he’s really not good enough for us to still be offering him something as a kind of fall back option if he doesn’t get any other or better offer. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I expect there's a time limit on the deal, maybe the end of the month or until we sign someone else in his position. I'm assuming now he's out of contract we've offered him a signing on fee as well, I doubt any of the other clubs around the bottom of the league will stump up more than us, I expect he's mulling over whether to go to the Middle East or not. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

I have read this in a report on Welington:

“Southampton, who already have him signed up and are now working on bringing that forward.  Their current idea is to offer São Paulo a percentage of the player’s economic rights, something that is currently being rejected as the Brazilians would prefer upfront cash.“

What does “a percentage of the player’s economic rights “ mean?

Thnx in advance.

probably translation of "sell on percentage"

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Yes he’s really not good enough for us to still be offering him something as a kind of fall back option if he doesn’t get any other or better offer. 

Think that for a while Che and his agent have believed he has a much higher ceiling than he actually has.  Possibly pride coming before a fall.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Absolutely. If he thinks he’s better than us, then good luck to him. Shouldn’t be welcoming him back if he comes cap in hand. Move on

• Like 4

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

This is hugely speculative. If ABK (probably wants away) and Bednarek leave (last year of contract)  then we will certainly be looking for replacements.

1 minute ago, WALK DMC said:

This is hugely speculative. If ABK (probably wants away) and Bednarek leave (last year of contract)  then we will certainly be looking for replacements.

I dunno, even with those two out of the picture we still have Wood, Edwards, THB, Stephens and Nico Lawrence who the club rate very highly as one of the younger lads. Charlie Taylor can also play as a third CB, and did so alongside THB at Burnley.

Wood and Edwards have been signed as first team squad players.

• Like 2

The amount the big clubs like Arsenal and Man Utd pay their youth and squad players let alone their big players is ridiculous.  Nketiah should be on  something like £30K a week in reality - based on what he's achieved so far - not £100K. He's not shown anything other than early potential which he hasn't fulfilled at 25 and now will probably never do so. The only people to really benefit are his bank manager, his agent and his hangers on.

I think Chelsea started this madness under Abramovich but Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and Man Utd - and now City and Newcastle - have certainly added to the madness.

And the amount some of the so called smaller clubs are spending on transfer fees and wages is also madness.  Premier League Football as a whole - ignoring the false sponsorships and stadium naming rights - must be running at a massive loss.

Edited by Rebel
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd bloody well hope so! Even if we kept him we'd need to sign someone stacks better.

Obviously we hope so, but it's a tough position to find players, especially a promoted side. When you are signing players like Lallana, Taylor and McCarthy then maybe Che is about the sane level?

I cant see us spending £25M or £30M or more on any one player.  We just don't have the finances unless SR suddenly find someone to give us £100M a year or more for the naming rights to St Mary's Stadium. 

TESLA Park anyone?

Aaron Ramsdale on loan would be fantastic - and it sounds like we have an outside chance of making that happen - but I can't see that we can afford to buy him outright for£35M or whatever they are asking - or pay his full £150K a week wages.

And as far as strikers go given the amounts supposedly being asked for players like Broja I'd be more than happy with Bereton-Diaz on loan or for the rumoured purchase price o £6M and Mioviski for around the same price.  

If nothing else we will have a great team for our promotion push and title challenge next season.

Edited by Rebel

32 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I dunno, even with those two out of the picture we still have Wood, Edwards, THB, Stephens and Nico Lawrence who the club rate very highly as one of the younger lads. Charlie Taylor can also play as a third CB, and did so alongside THB at Burnley.

Wood and Edwards have been signed as first team squad players.

You'd seriously want to go into a Premiership season with Stephens (limited), Edwards (lacking experience) and Woods (jury's out) ? 

I hope that our management don't have the same level of expectation/apathy.

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

100% agree. Reasonable second striker but sub-par as a primary striker which is what we need him to be, and it’s not what he is. Good squad option for Forest or Wolves, Torino are in for disappointment if they sign him on a free with hefty signing on fee and wages for three-four years. Thanks for some good goals and getting us back up last season first attempt, and seems a decent lad, but I’m not sure he fits our needs for this season.

I’d enquire about Morgan Whittaker - 19 goals in a side that just stayed up last season is impressive and he’s one of those players who has the raw attributes to play higher. I know he’s more of a winger/AMC than a striker per se but that areas needs urgent bolstering with pace and creativity. We won’t have as much of the ball and must play through the lines when required. 

Plymouth apparently want £15m but that might come down if they were offered a couple of our better younger fringe players on loan whom Rooney liked the look of with us subsidising as part of the deal.

Miovsky is an option Mowbray would know, looked decent in Europe but outside the Old Firm’s very best you wouldn’t expect a PL side to shop direct (Andy Robertson was at Hull first for example) in the SPL. Maybe Iheanacho on a free who is a year younger than Che and marginally better scoring record? Mixed for Leicester but if the club are shopping in the bargain basement zone then we could do a lot worse.

Talk of Dallinger and other overseas options etc but don’t know enough about them. Hard to know with Stewart being a total question mark. He could be a surprise package and work in rotation with another more reliable (fitness wise) main striker or he could get injured again and vanish like Stig Johansen. If we could get 10-15 starts out of Stewart and he could hold it up, it would help with AA/Whittaker/Alcaraz buzzing around him. If he’s a non-option, then it’s two frontline strikers we need which impacts the budget as forwards are pricey.

Agree with Hopper that a few faces likely need to move on as well. I’d keep Charly but hoping Sulemana’s agent finally backs up all his bullshit and gets him off the books and recoups some of the money. Mara needs to move on for everyone’s sake. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint

28 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

You'd seriously want to go into a Premiership season with Stephens (limited), Edwards (lacking experience) and Woods (jury's out) ? 

TBH we don’t have one single player who I’m sure is PL quality, beyond KWP who may well be off. There’re a handful, like THB and Suga, who I hope can step up, and Bednarek and Taylor, who are okay enough for a relegation fight, but not much else.

• Like 1

On 08/07/2024 at 10:51, Chez said:

Seeing as Simon Banza is currently being linked to a move to the middle east, I might need a new `favourite' HCDAJFU and Asprilla might fit the role perfectly.

I thought he looked tremendous at SMS. He really stood out in terms of touch and how much time that afforded him. My only criticism was that he dropped too deep in an effort to see more ball, and I felt much more comfortable from a Saints point of view with him a long way from goal. 

Watching his youtube video it's noticeable just how good his range of passing is. It's a cliche, but he has a lovely left foot. I think he won their young player and players player award, so it obviously wasn't an isolated good game.

I know we can't buy every talent from the championship last season, Clarke, Carvalho, Greaves...etc, but it would be nice if we grab at least one.

Only have a year left on his current contract, so if he is good enough for the Prem, then Watford probably will need to cash in this summer to avoid him walking on a free.

Linked to Dortmund.

https://bvbbuzz.com/posts/borussia-dortmund-reportedly-interested-in-colombian-winger-yaser-asprilla-01j30ytkr98g

Balls.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I think the business that’s been done so far has been pretty shrewd. It’s obvious we won’t have the resources to finance the quality of players we would all love to see added to the squad so we have to provide a degree of faith to Russ knowing what he needs to get his team to play the way he wants. Will it be good enough? Time is going to tell but I’m looking forward to getting behind the boys. 

I wonder if we’re holding off on bringing in attacking recruits until we’ve moved on the likes for Tall Paul, Kamaldeen, Seku etc.

There’s a fair bit of room that needs to made there first you’d suspect. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Remember when Boruc did a Cruyff turn in the penalty area away at Arsenal and gave it away? He got a bit of grief on his home debut but generally he was a very popular player. Most fans were disappointed when he left.

Niemi is regarded as out best keeper since Shilton despite having a howler in "that" game at Fratton Park, like you say the odd mistake here and there no problem, but when their blatantly not good enough it's no wonder people moan.

Steward’s inquiry. Shilton had a big name which I personally thought was undeserved but which I accept gave us something. Boruc, eccentric as he was sometimes was better keeper for us in my opinion. 

Niemi - best we ever had

Edited by grezz
Typo

53 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

TBH we don’t have one single player who I’m sure is PL quality, beyond KWP who may well be off. There’re a handful, like THB and Suga, who I hope can step up, and Bednarek and Taylor, who are okay enough for a relegation fight, but not much else.

I agree, although it confirms my view; if Bednarek leaves then we need to replace with experience. But like you I expect a real struggle  next season, a successful relegation battle should be viewed as equal to the playoff final victory.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grezz said:

Steward’s inquiry. Shilton had a big name which I personally thought was undeserved but which I accept gave us something. Boruc, eccentric as he was sometimes was better keeper for us in my opinion. 

Niemi - best we ever had

Shilton undeserved big name ??? 

he was and still is our best ever keeper ..

oh & how many times he play for England? 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, LeG said:

Bednarek is considering his options. Same as Che and KWP.

Fair enough. He joined Saints aged 21 and is now 28.

With a year left I am sure the club will be trying to get him to sign an extension but he may wish to try something else which is pretty understandable.

Hope he stays as is by far our most experienced CB and really improved under RM but if he goes then I think he needs replacing with a CB of similar stature.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Ramsdale for me 👍

• Like 1

I'm still hopeful (I know unrealistic) about KWP staying. I think we should offer a contract that makes him our top earner. Even with Sugawara joining I wonder if we could play KWP further up the pitch (as a midfielder or even winger) with them both playing at the same time. KWP has the ability and could work well IMO.

31 minutes ago, Dank said:

I'm still hopeful (I know unrealistic) about KWP staying. I think we should offer a contract that makes him our top earner. Even with Sugawara joining I wonder if we could play KWP further up the pitch (as a midfielder or even winger) with them both playing at the same time. KWP has the ability and could work well IMO.

We don't know if Sugawara can do it in the Prem, so right back might still be available. Also, someone still has to come up with a chunk of money for him or he stays. 

7 hours ago, Obstacle1 said:

What are his options? Play for us or see if a championship team come in for him?

He certainly ain't getting another Prem gig. He has played a lot of games, but he hasn't exactly been brilliant at that level.

8 hours ago, WALK DMC said:

I agree, although it confirms my view; if Bednarek leaves then we need to replace with experience. But like you I expect a real struggle  next season, a successful relegation battle should be viewed as equal to the playoff final victory.

Quality, not experience. Stephens offers more than enough experience. We need players with the right attributes. Pace, power, technique...

Agree it will be a struggle. Like the old days, looking forward to it 

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

We don't know if Sugawara can do it in the Prem, so right back might still be available. Also, someone still has to come up with a chunk of money for him or he stays. 

Sugawara will definitely cut it

• Like 1

Not massive news, but Echo article says Onuachu not recalled for training this summer. Slightly unusual?

I guess our hand has already been shown, so not much point in dragging him back here. Not exactly the strongest negotiating position, but I'm guessing we'll find a middle ground between the €10m and €6m:

https://thesun.ng/transfer-fee-blocks-onuachu-switch-from-england/?amp

Edited by Chez

9 hours ago, WALK DMC said:

I’m not sure it’s low expectation or apathy, more a realistic assessment of priorities within the framework of what we can spend under p&s.

The defence isn’t ideal but we have defenders

The gk situation is terrible but we have keepers

The striker situation is terrible and we don’t have anyone

Additionally both the gk and striker situations have been like this for years, cost us relegation, cost us automatic promotion, and will cost us another relegation this time around. 

I’d like an upgrade on Bednarek or Stephens but it isn’t anywhere near as desperate as relying on Mara and a guy who hasn’t played for 18 months to score goals in the premier league.

It’s like wanting a better gardener to tend your flower beds before hiring a builder to mend the massive fucking hole in the roof. When you can only afford one of those things.

• Like 5

Available players who I am confident will be able to do a job in the prem or who has previously done a job:

Sugawara 

THB 

Bednarek 

Taylor 

Downes 

Players who may do a job but not sure:

Edwards 

Armstrong 

Lallana 

Stewart 

Aribo 

So quite a few unknowns and midfield and attack is the main thing that needs improving. There might be a couple who surprise us though. 

Majority of our next ( bigger) signings may come much later in window. 
1. because we do need to unload some first and 

2. Arsenal, for example will prioritise a fee for Ramsdale on the open market up until the bitter end - if they know they have us gagging for a loan of him if that fails. 
Chelsea same with Broja for hypothetical example(s). So we have to wait until nobody buys them. And then strike fast. 

The most likely quick “ buys” may well be from outside the EPL. Hopefully players like O’Reilly before Celtic start getting involved in CL matches and refuse to budge until they knocked out - and to give them time for decent replacement. I’d of thought Stu could do that job in a blink of an eye for them - and would love another few European nights so get on with it!!

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 2