Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

This would be fun/ mental

Wojciech Szczesny not happy with €4m pa offer from Juve to renew his deal. Was on €6m pa 
Looking to Saudi. 
Transfer fee would be ( according to transfermkt) c €6M.
From saints perspective a loan or purchase deal with maybe possibility of being able to extend would cost us say c €3m fee plus say €6M in wages total €9m
For a class vastly experienced gk that could keep us in the EPL. cheap. Totally sorted out the gk position.  Still only 34. 😀

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

Wojciech Szczesny not happy with €4m pa offer from Juve to renew his deal. Was on €6m pa 
Looking to Saudi. 
From saints perspective a loan or purchase deal with maybe possibility of being able to extend would cost us say c €3m fee plus say €6M in wages total €9m
For a class vastly experienced gk that could keep us in the EPL. cheap. Totally sorted out the gk position.  Still only 34. 😀

No.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

No I'd probably look to get a reasonable player on a free or lower cost. I'm not sure I'd see it as a backup though, simply a different way of playing. I'm not sure we could risk our survival depending on Downes playing every week. 

Fair enough and from a numbers point of view we don't have much of an alternative in the same mould of Downes.  If we play three at the back then we won't be so reliant on a holding midfielder anyway.  Even Downes was far more progressive and advanced at the end of last season when we switched formations so it might not be as big a deal. 

53 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Looking to Saudi. 

yes

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Looking to Saudi. 

Might as well get Schmeichel and save the 6m.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, manji said:

Interesting but is that official/ confirmed ?

Logically it would make no sense to not offer him a contract so we can assume he hasn't wanted to sign. Martin has said we will try to keep him. 

Edited by hypochondriac

Schmeichel has completed a medical at Celtic, so that's not gonna be a thing.

I was banging the drum for Mat Ryan, who was also a free agent. But he's just joined Roma (so you'd imagine was looking higher than us from the get-go).

That pool of 'cheap' experience is getting ever-smaller.

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

seems to play mainly on the left wing, he'd be the 4th one if we bought him

Who are you including in this? Edozie and Sulemana (possibly off)? Amo-Ameyaw (although I thought he might be more off the right)?

30 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Logically it would make no sense to not offer him a contract so we can assume he hasn't wanted to sign. Martin has said we will try to keep him. 

50 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

A KWP who turns out to be a key part of us staying up is worth quite a bit.

On the other hand,

The cub may be confident we'll stay up having recruited Sugawara.

Hopefully, they've not indicated to Sugawara about minutes, although this is solved by putting one on the left.

SR, like most other clubs, don't want to see their assets leave on frees. I'm sure they've said as much.

They may be looking at the PRS books, looking to use those KWP pennies to strengthen elsewhere. Wages would be part of that.

Personally, I'd love him to stay. You never know, he might, like McCarthy extend/ resign if we do well.

BERMUDASAINT

The 2 clubs interested in him, WH and ToT are both looking ar him as backup FB, they have very good starters. Not sure KWP wants to be a bench warmer after being a gauranteed starter here. 

Having seen Englands fb choices, he must be thinking he can get in that squad, Playing regular,  not bench warming.

So a team offering him first choice for fb would be imperative, not sure any in England are offering that, other than us 🙏

KWP is 27, at his prime, Great on both wings, PL proven....a starter position would be a must. I hope he sees us as the best fit if no big club gives him the respect his talents deserve as a starter fb and sighs a new contract or extension.

Edited by BERMUDASAINT

Happy to see RM has confirmed Che has gone. it must be hard for the youngsters to accept their progress to the 1st team squad was blocked by some-one who is 2 grades below useless. We badly need 2 proper centre forwards who will bust a gut to get into decent attacking positions for the wingers and who can score goals. The main reason we went down was lack of goals. Adams got 5 and Adam Armstrong 2. We need 2 forwards who will get at least 30 goals between them

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Who are you including in this? Edozie and Sulemana (possibly off)? Amo-Ameyaw (although I thought he might be more off the right)?

Fraser when he signs, he's just arguing with newcastle over his lump sum

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 2

according to this he's on £!20k a week

2024-25 Arsenal F.C. Payroll Table (spotrac.com)

A lot for us but then he is a proven, quality goalkeeper and a good keeper wins you a lot of points over a season. There are some positions you cant fuck about with, goalkeeper is one, they at least stop you losing and strikers, who win you games when you dont deserve too. We've seen what happens when we try and go cheap or one for the future so lets not repeat previous failures.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Why woukd Ramsdale go to Newcastle with pope recovered from injury? 

Yeah exactly, if anything Newcastle are more than ok in the keeper dept esp with him fit again.

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Is there something rotten to behind the scenes? We've lost so many staff and a fair amount of youth players too. 

Having people head hunted for bigger clubs and bigger roles is a good thing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Yes but the volume of losses in a short space of time may suggest something else beyond people simply leaving for bigger clubs. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Yes but the volume of losses in a short space of time may suggest something else beyond people simply leaving for bigger clubs. 

But they've all gone to bigger clubs, so I very much doubt it. If we were losing staff to lower clubs then fine, but we're not. I don't think there's anything to see here. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Haha 1

Ramsdale discussions behind the scenes.

There wouldn’t be a reason to post about a player otherwise - I’d say Alfie House has confirmed it’s not far-fetched as some might think - as I mentioned yesterday.

Doesn’t mean it’ll come off by any means but I’d say that’s encouraging to know that the backroom team are actively seeking out a goalkeeper.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

There wouldn’t be a reason to post about a player otherwise - I’d say Alfie House has confirmed it’s not far-fetched as some might think - as I mentioned yesterday.

Doesn’t mean it’ll come off by any means but I’d say that’s encouraging to know that the backroom team are actively seeking out a goalkeeper.

As was mentioned a few days back, I cannot see any other viable options in this country for him. The only reason he would want to leave Arsenal is to play. The fee won't come into the discussion as it will only ever be a loan without any options on it, we just need to figure out the wage split.

I saw Newcastle mentioned - they've got Pope back from his long term injury, they also signed that Greek for £12m from Forest (as well as still having Dubravka). If he wants to continue as a bench keeper then by all means swap red for black and white.

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I just can't see what kind of deal we'd structure which would be acceptable to Arsenal, given the wages.

I can't imagine we'd make him our highest paid player ever at 120k p/w, so is it a hefty loan fee with a buy-option, equalling something around £30m? Or would we go for an obligation should we stay up? Either way, there would be clubs who would be willing to cover the full wage on top of the above, which I can't imagine we will.

I do agree that Alfie's tweet has made me a little more confident though!

4 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I just can't see what kind of deal we'd structure which would be acceptable to Arsenal, given the wages.

I can't imagine we'd make him our highest paid player ever at 120k p/w, so is it a hefty loan fee with a buy-option, equalling something around £30m? Or would we go for an obligation should we stay up? Either way, there would be clubs who would be willing to cover the full wage on top of the above, which I can't imagine we will.

We've apparently paid £100k p/w before for a player. So wouldn't need much subsidising from Arsenal to reach £120k p/w for Ramsdale.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/15963411/james-ward-prowse-southampton-top-earner/#:~:text=WARD-PRICE-,James Ward-Prowse becomes Southampton's top earner with historic £,still leave for right price&text=JAMES WARD-PROWSE has reportedly,on £100%2C000 a-week.

30 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Is there something rotten to behind the scenes? We've lost so many staff and a fair amount of youth players too. 

The academy just isn't valued that highly by Sports Republic.

9 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

It’s a loan, I don’t think wages would upset the squad. You can badge it as a £6m loan instead, or £3m and we cover half his wages. £6m to improve a very weak position for us is chump change. 

There may also be other clubs that can cover those costs, but who needs a new number 1?

It will be worth signing him purely to see what the media team do as a reveal, hagrid costumes and all sorts.

36 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

19 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yes but the volume of losses in a short space of time may suggest something else beyond people simply leaving for bigger clubs. 

5 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Staff and players leaving for higher paid jobs and/or promotions at some of the biggest clubs in the world does not mean there is something wrong at Saints. We simply can not compete when clubs like Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs etc make job offers for our staff. In the same way we do exactly the same to other clubs that we've got staff from who are less wealthy than Saints. It is better to have player and staff that higher profile and richer clubs want, rather than to plod along with staff and players richer clubs do not want.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

There is a bit of a feeling about that what with the closing of the satellite academy (we may have had no choice in the matter but didn't seem to contest it) along with talk of restructuring. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Staff and players leaving for higher paid jobs and/or promotions at some of the biggest clubs in the world does not mean there is something wrong at Saints. We simply can not compete when clubs like Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs etc make job offers for our staff. In the same way we do exactly the same to other clubs that we've got staff from who are less wealthy than Saints. It is better to have player and staff that higher profile and richer clubs want, rather than to plod along with staff and players richer clubs do not want.

Thanks captain obvious. I was discussing a possibility. 

It’s a bit sad when your staff are headhunted by bigger and better employers that your first thought is there must be something wrong with the club. What should we do, employ crap people that no one else would want? Mind you, we had done that with a few players.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Thinks it's more likely a promotion to a bigger club and reuniting with Jack Chapman more than anything else

8 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

It’s a bit sad when your staff are headhunted by bigger and better employers that your first thought is there must be something wrong with the club. What should we do, employ crap people that no one else would want? Mind you, we had done that with a few players.

Do bore off soggy. 

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

It’s a loan, I don’t think wages would upset the squad. You can badge it as a £6m loan instead, or £3m and we cover half his wages. £6m to improve a very weak position for us is chump change. 

There may also be other clubs that can cover those costs, but who needs a new number 1?

It will be worth signing him purely to see what the media team do as a reveal, hagrid costumes and all sorts.

It's not a bad question to be fair. Looking through the table you'd say most teams would be pretty content with their #1.

West Ham maybe? I'm not too sure about how secure they are with Areola.

Forest and Bournemouth potentially? Although Forest just signed Sels and Neto is the captain, although getting on a bit.

I think Newcastle is the worrying one, but you'd hope we were immediately on the phone about Pope if that happened anyway.

50 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

it really isnt. Thats like saying a better looking bloke has been shagging your wife and is inevitable but at least it shows your are punching. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, wild-saint said:

it really isnt. Thats like saying a better looking bloke has been shagging your wife and is inevitable but at least it shows your are punching. 

Unless your wife married you as a stepping stone?

Seriously, it is a job. If a bigger employer offering more money comes knocking, how many people would say no? 

4 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Not sure how you treat your wife but normal people wouldn’t really compare a career to their love life. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Owen The Saints said:

Happy to see RM has confirmed Che has gone. it must be hard for the youngsters to accept their progress to the 1st team squad was blocked by some-one who is 2 grades below useless. We badly need 2 proper centre forwards who will bust a gut to get into decent attacking positions for the wingers and who can score goals. The main reason we went down was lack of goals. Adams got 5 and Adam Armstrong 2. We need 2 forwards who will get at least 30 goals between them

Glad that saga is over. Do you have a link or are you ITK ?

54 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’d argue the Alfie House tweet is less encouraging tbh. Just like the O’Riley stuff it reads very much as ‘quite a bit to do on this, so be prepared for when this doesn’t work out’.

If we were confident of getting these done we’d be keeping it quiet and actually getting it done. Hopefully I’m reading both those wrong though.