Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm loving all these random links to Brazilian and Japanese players that I know nothing about. They could all end up being utter shit but it's quite exciting - at least initially - compared to a middling British people that we already know everything about. Imagine if we unearth a gem. 

Nah, not really sharing that. Welington looks and sounds a bit shite. He’s not even that well regarded in Brazil. Juan doesn’t look that much cop and has scored 4 times in 58 appearances. Plus he won’t be available for two years. 
I was excited when we signed Alcaraz as he was well regarded and a bit of a talent but these two aren’t. 
Dunno about the Japanese players but it’ll be years before we see them if ever. Not including Sugawara as he’s come from a European league and established.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

Nah, not really sharing that. Welington looks and sounds a bit shite. He’s not even that well regarded in Brazil. Juan doesn’t look that much cop and has scored 4 times in 58 appearances. Plus he won’t be available for two years. 
I was excited when we signed Alcaraz as he was well regarded and a bit of a talent but these two aren’t. 
Dunno about the Japanese players but it’ll be years before we see them if ever. Not including Sugawara as he’s come from a European league and established.

I don't think it matters to be honest. It doesn't really sound like we have a big intention to use them regularly from the start. Seems much more like a Meghoma or Larios signing where we see if we can unearth something. That's why it's interesting. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't think it matters to be honest. It doesn't really sound like we have a big intention to use them regularly from the start. Seems much more like a Meghoma or Larios signing where we see if we can unearth something. That's why it's interesting. 

You’re right, it probably doesn’t matter much which is why it’s not very exciting 

3 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

You’re right, it probably doesn’t matter much which is why it’s not very exciting 

It is if one of the punts pays off. A bit like when we got pahars for example. Given that we don't have much in the way of resources relatively, I like the approach and it will be interesting to me to see if it pays off. We've obviously seen something in Wellington that makes us believe he's worth a go. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, John B said:

Apparently West Ham are in advanced talks to sign English right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka, 26, from Manchester United. (Teamtalk)

Does that leave KWP with a genuine suitor? As much as we'd all like to keep him, we don't want him walking on a free next summer.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It is if one of the punts pays off. A bit like when we got pahars for example. Given that we don't have much in the way of resources relatively, I like the approach and it will be interesting to me to see if it pays off. We've obviously seen something in Wellington that makes us believe he's worth a go. 

I think his point was more that the players named aren't even really well regarded in the Brazilian league where as Pahars was at least a prolific goalscorer in the Latvian division. Juan got 1 goal in 27 appearances in the Brazilian Seria A in 2023 and is yet to score after 8 in the 2024 season, so it is easy to see why people would question the reasoning behind buying a player like that.

However, I do find it exciting the same way you do and these players look to be cheap and taking a punt will not cost the club much at all.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Chez said:

Does that leave KWP with a genuine suitor? As much as we'd all like to keep him, we don't want him walking on a free next summer.

We could always offer him a new deal on top money that he'd find hard to resist - it would be cheaper than trying to replace him.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

We could always offer him a new deal on top money that he'd find hard to resist - it would be cheaper than trying to replace him.

Only we basically already have

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

True, but we could always play him on the left and Sugawara on the right if they’re our best 2 full backs. 

Is it possible that we are planning on KWP staying and signing a new deal and that Taylor will actually be used as a left-sided CB (probably in a 3), with Sugawara/KWP and KWP/Manning/Larios as the wing back choices and as the youngsters develop? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

True, but we could always play him on the left and Sugawara on the right if they’re our best 2 full backs. 

Not outside the realms of possibility I guess. We kept KWP after signing Tino, after all.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Is it possible that we are planning on KWP staying and signing a new deal and that Taylor will actually be used as a left-sided CB (probably in a 3), with Sugawara/KWP and KWP/Manning/Larios as the wing back choices and as the youngsters develop? 

I would be astounded if kwp stayed and we then played him out of position on the left. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I would be astounded if kwp stayed and we then played him out of position on the left. 

He's played there a lot! But I get your point. 

1 hour ago, GastonRamirez said:

I think his point was more that the players named aren't even really well regarded in the Brazilian league where as Pahars was at least a prolific goalscorer in the Latvian division. Juan got 1 goal in 27 appearances in the Brazilian Seria A in 2023 and is yet to score after 8 in the 2024 season, so it is easy to see why people would question the reasoning behind buying a player like that.

However, I do find it exciting the same way you do and these players look to be cheap and taking a punt will not cost the club much at all.

It's like the old days when we signed Federico 'The Torpedo' Arias who was apparently the only player in Argentina at the time worth signing!

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/2254420/saints-confirm-arias-arrival

1 hour ago, GastonRamirez said:

Sadly we seem to unearth more Carrillos than Pahars.

• Like 2

Jan B and KWP. 
Both in final year of contract. 
Both key players for RM - like Che and Stuart. 
Combined  transfermkt value : c €30. 

RM publicly quoted as bemoaning that Stu and Che entered final year without renewal. 
TWO NEW CB bought already plus BK to return and TWO NEW FB’s also. 
Would we really do that if KWP and JB were not leaving? 

The money we get for them two will pay for the new #9 and possibly the new attacking  MF. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

I strongly suspect that Bree was basically just brought in by Jones so he had someone he knew and trusted to be his eyes and ears in a dressing room that he was rightly paranoid to think had absolutely no respect for him and was probably undermining him behind his back. 

We’ve had plenty of managers who’ve brought in a very limited player who they’ve worked with before and put them in the side, often continuing to pick them when it’s clear that much better options are available. Presumably the quid pro quo is that the player is then so grateful to be there that they’ll keep the manager briefed on what the chat amongst the players about the manager is. Burley had Jermaine Wright, Strachan had Telfer etc. Manning also looked like that sort of signing for Martin. 

The lesson to learn from this? Never tell a bang average full-back your secrets, they’re all grasses. 

So... i think what you're trying so suggest is that Downes is Martin's inside man and snitch on the inside of the squad? 😰

Edited by Saint86

49 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Just an idle thought but how about we play him "out of position" as an AM? A lot of what he did last season was more in the attacking role.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Jan B and KWP. 
Both in final year of contract. 
Both key players for RM - like Che and Stuart. 
Combined  transfermkt value : c €30. 

RM publicly quoted as bemoaning that Stu and Che entered final year without renewal. 
TWO NEW CB bought already plus BK to return and TWO NEW FB’s also. 
Would we really do that if KWP and JB were not leaving? 

The money we get for them two will pay for the new #9 and possibly the new attacking  MF. 

Adam Armstrong is in his final year as well. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

Can’t believe I overlooked that! 
Given we seem to have bought the replacements for KWP and Jan , should they leave, but have not done so for AA might it be that Saints are highly confident of a contract renewal?
We seem to have concentrated on sorting out the defence early but there’s a big elephant in the room regarding our attackers! Surely at least two new attackers imminent- and the announcement of an extension for AA.🙏And why isn’t RF training  with us yet???? Thought that was a done deal. 

Edited by gio1saints

9 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

It's going to be interesting to see how he does this time round, He is a very good championship player, when he first joined i thought he looked lively and a handful, his goal on his debut at Everton was very well taken and seemed like we'd signed a good player. The longer he was here here the worse he got in the premier league, maybe due to confidence, the constant changing of systems and managers and him being played all over the place, i seem to remember him playing left midfield at one point. There is a player in there so maybe this time round we'll see it

• Like 6

I'm hoping there are a few Prem defenders that get caught between a Bednarock and a Harwood-Bellis place this season but I'd still like to see one more CB come in, perhaps one with a bit of experience to guide the youngsters. I mean it's a cert if we cash in on Jan as he only had one year left but even so...

1 hour ago, MarkSFC said:

Currently we have; 

Stephens, THB, Janny B, Wood, Edwards + ABK (atlhough he's obviously off) who can play CB. 

There's no way we're playing a LB at CB and a RB at LB. 

KWP is off (providing we find a buyer) and rightly so if he wont sign a new deal. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I'm hoping there are a few Prem defenders that get caught between a Bednarock and a Harwood-Bellis place this season but I'd still like to see one more CB come in, perhaps one with a bit of experience to guide the youngsters. I mean it's a cert if we cash in on Jan as he only had one year left but even so...

What is it with trying to bloat out the squad?  Yesterday there were calls for a backup for Downes and now you want another CB.  We've already got six.  Meanwhile up front we've got Ross Stewart untested virtually jumping two divisions and hasn't played in any meaningful way for 18 months, Adam Armstrong who couldn't cut it last time out in the premier league and Sekou Mara.  Attacking mid positions look weak as f*ck too.  There are far more higher priorities than another CB.

• Like 3

its been a good start to the window so far imo. I think Wood was a total waste of money, but at £3m, its low risk and solid option for next year if we fail to stay up. However, I think we're probably only on par with how the season ended in terms of starting 11 strength. 

We're a keeper (ramsdale wold be a dream), CM (Ditto for O'riely) and a number 9 away from being really competative, imo.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Just an idle thought but how about we play him "out of position" as an AM? A lot of what he did last season was more in the attacking role.

We are just going to sell him. Unless there's a total change and he signs a new contract and there's been no indication of that. 

My prediction is 15-20 million to spurs late in the window. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

its been a good start to the window so far imo. I think Wood was a total waste of money, but at £3m, its low risk and solid option for next year if we fail to stay up. However, I think we're probably only on par with how the season ended in terms of starting 11 strength. 

We're a keeper (ramsdale wold be a dream), CM (Ditto for O'riely) and a number 9 away from being really competative, imo.  

i'd add a decent right midfielder/winger as well. 

We desperately need a proven glovesman, Ramsdale like you say is the dream, also been liked with Dubrvaka WCDAJFU.  Striker too we never seem to get it right, i know finding a striker is really hard with our resources but we seem to spectacularly screw it up time after time. Difficult to think of who we could get, Ineanacho is still available on a free i think. I know some people will moan about him but he's got a decent goalscoring record. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarkSFC said:

Is it possible that we are planning on KWP staying and signing a new deal 

I was thinking the same thing. We all assume that Sugawara is replacing him, and until Bree departs and KWP signs a new deal, that assumption probably is fair, but if we want to progress we need players like Sugawara pushing KWP not Bree the fallback option if Suygarware isn't available. 

Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely he signs a new deal -  better for him to walk on a free - so we have little choice but to cash in to give us the funds to reinvest in the next KWP.   

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

I was thinking the same thing. We all assume that Sugawara is replacing him, and until Bree departs and KWP signs a new deal, that assumption probably is fair, but if we want to progress we need players like Sugawara pushing KWP not Bree the fallback option if Suygarware isn't available. 

Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely he signs a new deal -  better for him to walk on a free - so we have little choice but to cash in to give us the funds to reinvest in the next KWP.   

I just think our attacking midfield and attack needs strengthening so badly that I don't think we will be able to afford to improve it to the degree it needs improving without selling him. If I was kwp I wouldn't be signing a new contract unless I'd got comfortable living in the area or something like that. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It's going to be interesting to see how he does this time round, He is a very good championship player, when he first joined i thought he looked lively and a handful, his goal on his debut at Everton was very well taken and seemed like we'd signed a good player. The longer he was here here the worse he got in the premier league, maybe due to confidence, the constant changing of systems and managers and him being played all over the place, i seem to remember him playing left midfield at one point. There is a player in there so maybe this time round we'll see it

He will have got his confidence back, so can hit the ground running (again) second time around. He seemed to make that right wing position his own (and I thought that was where he looked brilliant in the cup game against Newcastle), so that may well be where we need ti play him to get the best out of him. But the change to five at the back changes things a bit. It didn't stop him in the play off final.

If Che is not coming back and KWP departs, then there will be team changes that impact him, but in the end it will come down to whether he can take the few chances offered him, like he did in the championship. I'm hopeful but not certain.   

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We desperately need a proven glovesman, Ramsdale like you say is the dream, also been liked with Dubrvaka WCDAJFU.  Striker too we never seem to get it right, i know finding a striker is really hard with our resources but we seem to spectacularly screw it up time after time. Difficult to think of who we could get, Ineanacho is still available on a free i think. I know some people will moan about him but he's got a decent goalscoring record. 

Even an alright striker would be fine for us. Not one like carillo or Onuachu who you watch play and wonder why we ever thought it would work with us in even the most optimistic of scenarios. 

24 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

What is it with trying to bloat out the squad?  Yesterday there were calls for a backup for Downes and now you want another CB.  We've already got six.  Meanwhile up front we've got Ross Stewart untested virtually jumping two divisions and hasn't played in any meaningful way for 18 months, Adam Armstrong who couldn't cut it last time out in the premier league and Sekou Mara.  Attacking mid positions look weak as f*ck too.  There are far more higher priorities than another CB.

I'd say having an effective alternative to Downes is up there with one of our most important signings of the summer. Last year showed how toothless we were without him. We will badly need another way of playing if he isn't available. Agree about centre back we are most likely done in defence unless we want a utility man for depth. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I just think our attacking midfield and attack needs strengthening so badly that I don't think we will be able to afford to improve it to the degree it needs improving without selling him. If I was kwp I wouldn't be signing a new contract unless I'd got comfortable living in the area or something like that. 

Signs a new deal and we go down. Wages cut, but he can't do anything about it as signed a new deal. Alternatively he sits tight and can see if we stay up or go down - and then cherry pick a new club/contract. No brainer for him. We'd have to offer him a mega deal with no cut in wages - but that would be financial suicide for us. The only way he stays if we get lowballed by whoever is left that is interested. The likes of Fulham, Palace, Brentford perhaps. 

45 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Can’t believe I overlooked that! 
Given we seem to have bought the replacements for KWP and Jan , should they leave, but have not done so for AA might it be that Saints are highly confident of a contract renewal?
We seem to have concentrated on sorting out the defence early but there’s a big elephant in the room regarding our attackers! Surely at least two new attackers imminent- and the announcement of an extension for AA.🙏And why isn’t RF training  with us yet???? Thought that was a done deal. 

We must have offered him a new deal, but not sure a Prem side is buying him this summer, and he won't want to join a championship side, so even if he doesn't sign a new contract, I don't think we could offload him even if we wanted to. Tricky situation.   

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Turkish said:

In fairness, I was running on the assumption that, given we've signed a million CB's, we'll surely be moving towards a 352

Just now, hypochondriac said:

I'd say having an effective alternative to Downes is up there with one of our most important signings of the summer. Last year showed how toothless we were without him. We will badly need another way of playing if he isn't available. Agree about centre back we are most likely done in defence unless we want a utility man for depth. 

Nice to have but would you spend a decent amount on it given the obvious weaknesses in the rest of the starting 11?  If we've got unlimited funds then sure, knock yourself out, but I doubt we have.  I think we should get another midfielder but it'll be more of an 8, and we need to replace Stu Armstrong unless we see Alcaraz, Smallbone or Aribo doing that.  I don't see us using a loan on someone primarily as cover so I reckon if we get anyone else in then it'll be a free or nominal fee.

Whenever we make a big deal about a happy event it quite often acts as the sugar to sweeten the medicine we are about to take. 
In our case I think the sugar was Flynn signing and medicine is KWP leaving. The timing fans PR works better that way around. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Perhaps we could offer him a new contract?

7 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Nice to have but would you spend a decent amount on it given the obvious weaknesses in the rest of the starting 11?  If we've got unlimited funds then sure, knock yourself out, but I doubt we have.  I think we should get another midfielder but it'll be more of an 8, and we need to replace Stu Armstrong unless we see Alcaraz, Smallbone or Aribo doing that.  I don't see us using a loan on someone primarily as cover so I reckon if we get anyone else in then it'll be a free or nominal fee.

No I'd probably look to get a reasonable player on a free or lower cost. I'm not sure I'd see it as a backup though, simply a different way of playing. I'm not sure we could risk our survival depending on Downes playing every week.