Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

On 08/07/2024 at 13:07, ally_uk said:

Fuck Ings get Miovski in 

7 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

If Ings comes in and gets the goals that keep us up then happy days. Would shut the melts up on here for one.... 🤣

Does that include you?

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

No idea if this chap is ITK but are we about to spend again in East London

IMG_9683.jpeg

Certainly looks like a reputable source, can see why people would believe this. Pretty sure @Whugdz took over as Chief Football Writer at the Telegraph after Henry Winter left. 

Welcome home, Danny! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Downes was immense last season, in the championship, we don’t  have any indication he will be as good in the prem.

I've seen Aribo’s name crop up a bit here recently, he was OK last season, by his own low standards , I see nothing in him to suggest he will be any better this season than he was in the last premier league season. 

We need better midfield options in my opinion.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Downes was immense last season, in the championship, we don’t  have any indication he will be as good in the prem.

I've seen Aribo’s name crop up a bit here recently, he was OK last season, by his own low standards , I see nothing in him to suggest he will be any better this season than he was in the last premier league season. 

We need better midfield options in my opinion.

Yep we need an alternative to Downes and an upgrade on Smallbone/Aribo. 

6 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

We do. He has 25 PL appearances under his belt with West Ham.

• Like 2

I’m not seeing as much weakness in midfield as others on here. Smallbone and Aribo both improved as the season went on and will be better again this season. Downes is finally back in the house. Charles is still nowhere near his ceiling and will continue to develop. Alcaraz is back to potentially replace Stuey. I’d like to see one classy all-rounder brought in of course but would prefer we prioritise elsewhere (striker and GK).

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Enlightening. 

Shea started 15 games in midfield for us, we lost 4 of those, 2 of which were Lester and Stoke -  the end of season wobble. 

Not a bad record for someone so “untrusted”.

He only started four championship games out of 24 in 2024. He was subbed at half time in two of those and after 58 minutes in another.

He came on as a sub in just 7 other games. One was for 45 minutes, the others were for less than 6 minutes each.

I guess Downes had the shirt, and Aribo and Smallbone the others, but for me it looked like RM didn't really trust him after the woeful display at Bristol City.  There were times, when Downes needed to be given a rest (and I mean coming off after say, 75 minutes) and RM just never did it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Wouldn't be averse to Aribo moving on. Think it wouldn't be too difficult to find an upgrade on him. Only trouble would be finding a buyer for him. 

I never thought dropping Aribo deeper would work, but he really played well. He covered ground, got a foot in, and most importantly was extremely brave on the ball, holding it up in tight areas and helping us retain possession. It made a huge difference. Can he be as effective in the top flight? Gonna be tough. The speed of the game and lack of space will test everyone. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, The Left Back said:

I’m not seeing as much weakness in midfield as others on here. Smallbone and Aribo both improved as the season went on and will be better again this season. Downes is finally back in the house. Charles is still nowhere near his ceiling and will continue to develop. Alcaraz is back to potentially replace Stuey. I’d like to see one classy all-rounder brought in of course but would prefer we prioritise elsewhere (striker and GK).

One of the podcasts named Smallbone as player of the playoffs over the five games.

I thought he was very good over the second half of the season and still young 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Article says he wont come until January. Manning and Larios are contracted until 2027. Taylor to 2026. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chez said:

I guess Downes had the shirt, and Aribo and Smallbone the others, but for me it looked like RM didn't really trust him after the woeful display at Bristol City. 

Shea started the game after Bristol City, he played 60 minutes in one of the best team performances of the season against the Baggies. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Not really sure we need another left back now so a weird one.

Can we now stop with all these defenders and concentrate on the other end of the pitch.

I'm still convinced we will be playing Taylor as a LCB in a 3. He's not really attacking enough to play as a wing back. Leaves Welington and Manning as our LWB's. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

One of the podcasts named Smallbone as player of the playoffs over the five games.

I thought he was very good over the second half of the season and still young 

He had a very good season. His weight of pass is outstanding. His tackling is pretty pathetic.

He was a total non entity in the Prem last time around, but that was a while ago and he plays a different role now. Him and Downes work well together. If they don't or can't work well together in the Prem, we have a problem.

Downes, Aribo and Smallbone as a trio lack bite. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Shea started the game after Bristol City, he played 60 minutes in one of the best team performances of the season against the Baggies. 

RM didn't play him for two months after that game. Actually he got 6 minutes against Cov.  

He's young. Plenty of time to improve. Look forward to seeing him do just that and become the next Rodri.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maggie May said:

We do. He has 25 PL appearances under his belt with West Ham.

And on the back of those 25 appearances West Ham loaned him to a championship club and then sold him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Left Back said:

Adam Lallana

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

And on the back of those 25 appearances West Ham loaned him to a championship club and then sold him. 

Bearing in mind that their manager at the time was the football anti-Christ, David Moyes. 

He couldn’t spot a good footballer if you dropped him in the bernabeu. He goes for players that kick lumps out of you over actual talent.  

West Ham’s decision is quite clearly wrong. They’ll regret it in a season or two. 

• Like 1

Pretty sure I saw West Ham fans saying that Moyes used to play Downes as a No 10 in a 4-2-3-1 formation, which is pretty amusing. Struggle to imagine him being a natural fit there

5 hours ago, Appy said:

I think he’s the O’Riley alternative. Different players to Downes. 

Perhaps but not how I see it. O'Riley (who I doubt we will have a chance to sign anyway) scored and assisted plenty last season whilst I think Camera got 1 goal and 3 or 4 assists in 30 odd games so not likely to come into the PL and do anything like being enough of an attacking force to increase our survival hopes.

Re LB, wouldnt be suprising to see Manning leave on loan back to the Championship at some point in August assuming Wellington comes here with Taylor starting. Manning doesn't have the athleticism to play wing back and will be killed 1 v 1 in the PL. Would be plenty that would take him, I'm sure.

I think the same about Bree too - clearly not PL level and another awful signing from Jan '23.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

I couldn’t care less what he did or didn’t do at West Ham. I’ve seen more than enough of Downes to know he’ll make the step up. Much like Walker-Peters last season he was a cut above.

Edited by Hopper
Typos
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, Hopper said:

couldn’t care less what he did or didn’t do a West Ham. I’ve seen more than enough of Downes to know he’ll make the step up. Much like Walker-Peters last season he was a cut above.

Totally agree with this.

• Like 1

I strongly suspect that Bree was basically just brought in by Jones so he had someone he knew and trusted to be his eyes and ears in a dressing room that he was rightly paranoid to think had absolutely no respect for him and was probably undermining him behind his back. 

We’ve had plenty of managers who’ve brought in a very limited player who they’ve worked with before and put them in the side, often continuing to pick them when it’s clear that much better options are available. Presumably the quid pro quo is that the player is then so grateful to be there that they’ll keep the manager briefed on what the chat amongst the players about the manager is. Burley had Jermaine Wright, Strachan had Telfer etc. Manning also looked like that sort of signing for Martin. 

The lesson to learn from this? Never tell a bang average full-back your secrets, they’re all grasses. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Ah, looking for a two for Juan deal.

3 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Baby you're the Juan, you still turn me on...

3 hours ago, SfcPhil said:

I heard there's two coming, but we're not paying for the other one

3 hours ago, benjii said:

There's only one Juan.

These are all very childish. Uno better. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chez said:

I never thought dropping Aribo deeper would work, but he really played well. He covered ground, got a foot in, and most importantly was extremely brave on the ball, holding it up in tight areas and helping us retain possession. It made a huge difference. Can he be as effective in the top flight? Gonna be tough. The speed of the game and lack of space will test everyone. 

I really like his strength and vision .. his physicality allows him to hold players off to make the right pass .. qualities that should work in the premiership too really 

• Like 3

I'm loving all these random links to Brazilian and Japanese players that I know nothing about. They could all end up being utter shit but it's quite exciting - at least initially - compared to a middling British people that we already know everything about. Imagine if we unearth a gem. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm loving all these random links to Brazilian and Japanese players that I know nothing about. They could all end up being utter shit but it's quite exciting - at least initially - compared to a middling British people that we already know everything about. Imagine if we unearth a gem. 

Or the next Lyanco haha