Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Ramsdale (loan), holding midfield back-up, a starting creative midfielder (O'Riley?) and a starting striker away from what I'd say is a decent window. Probably about all we could've hoped for. 

Enough? Certainly not sure about that. Think we'll require a couple points deductions elsewhere to have much hope.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Ramsdale (loan), holding midfield back-up, a starting creative midfielder (O'Riley?) and a starting striker away from what I'd say is a decent window. Probably about all we could've hoped for. 

I very much doubt that'll happen. Shea Charles is the backup to Downes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Yeah in theory but how often did that play out last season when Flynn was either injured or poisoning himself !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Yeah, and that's a big fucking problem! He was not trusted in the Championship, so I doubt he will be in the Prem. 

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Enough? Certainly not sure about that. Think we'll require a couple points deductions elsewhere to have much hope.

11 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

9 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Yeah in theory but how often did that play out last season when Flynn was either injured or poisoning himself !

7 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Yeah, and that's a big fucking problem! He was not trusted in the Championship, so I doubt he will be in the Prem. 

Agree that we need a dependable 'supporting actor' to Downes if/when he's out injured. And, yep, given Charles wasn't able to consistently fulfill that role last season, it would be a concern if he's being expected to fulfill the role in a league with an exponentially higher difficulty level. Indeed, it would simply be illogical to do so....

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Yes, looks that way, whereas in reality he needs a loan to the Championship.

There’s Lallana and Aribo to consider before Charles - both experienced players at a decent level. Unless Downes gets injured or suspended (more likely), he’ll be starting and finishing the majority of games.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Not trusted feels a bit harsh, it was his first full season, in the pivotal role in the way we play. Over exposing him would harm his development. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

There’s Lallana and Aribo to consider before Charles - both experienced players at a decent level. Unless Downes gets injured or suspended (more likely), he’ll be starting and finishing the majority of games.

FWIW, Downes missed nearly a quarter of the games last season.... (we only won 2 of the 10 games he missed).... and Lallana / Aribo aren't like-for-like replacements for Downes... 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Not trusted feels a bit harsh, it was his first full season, in the pivotal role in the way we play. Over exposing him would harm his development. 

I can't say I agree. The role isn't going to become any less important in this division and he is not ready.

I don't want to write the kid off by any means but expecting him to go from behind a shoehorned Smallbone at DM in the pecking order, to first call back-up behind Downes after promotion would be remarkably risky. Even if it is somebody like Reed, who has been hinted at on here, I'd feel far more comfortable.

There will be minutes given the Downes concerns, the idea of giving them all to Charles should terrify anybody after last year.

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

He wasn't trusted. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, trousers said:

FWIW, Downes missed nearly a quarter of the games last season.... (we only won 2 of the 10 games he missed).... and Lallana / Aribo aren't like-for-like replacements for Downes... 

I think you’ll find that was towards the front end of his time, but anyway I’m not certain you can assume that Aribo or indeed Lallana would not be able to step in. Plus there’s Smallbone who I’m sure will be given a chance to prove himself. Basically I don’t think we’ll be signing another DM before we complete other business, but you never know.

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I think you’ll find that was towards the front end of his time, but anyway I’m not certain you can assume that Aribo or indeed Lallana would not be able to step in. Plus there’s Smallbone who I’m sure will be given a chance to prove himself. Basically I don’t think we’ll be signing another DM before we complete other business, but you never know.

Nope, was fairly well spread out.... 

image.thumb.png.063d72cbf3c6687f338bb78ed06fcc3a.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bugenhagen said:

What we need is a player that can play alongside Downes (as an 8), but also could cover for him. No point buying a backup.

Perhaps Lamine Camara from Metz who we are supposedly in for would fit the bill? Seems quite versatile across the various midfield roles.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

And we only won two of those games (according to a stat I read the other day).

I always found Martins lack of faith in Charles a bit odd.. wasn’t there a stat that we always did better with him playing than not, in Downes absence?

Charles certainly isn’t the player Downes is, but was comfortably a better option than Smallbone in the 6 amd I personally think that cost us wins at vital points of the season

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, egg said:

He wasn't trusted. 

Enlightening. 

Shea started 15 games in midfield for us, we lost 4 of those, 2 of which were Lester and Stoke -  the end of season wobble. 

Not a bad record for someone so “untrusted”.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Perhaps Lamine Camara from Metz who we are supposedly in for would fit the bill? Seems quite versatile across the various midfield roles.

At the time I "feared" he was our option if we did not get Downes, but good call - Yeah, I agree, something like that.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I'm going to assume that we as a club are not in the business of assuming 20 year olds in their first season in first team football will be the best they will ever be and ship them out on loan the moment we go up a level. It's not what we sold Shea himself and isn't exactly a shining example to any young players we want to sign or keep. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Yes I think Lamine Camara we are definitely in for.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I'm not sure Lallana, or Aribo are DM's. Neither have got the legs or energy for it.

• Like 2

Charles: Very much how RM sees him develop. I felt he preferred an out of position Smallbone to him at times. A number of players had times out the side though.

On one late game on his return he did the basics, but wasn't under pressure. If RM thinks he's good enough to get minutes covering for Downes and Lallana, then fine.

If not, then more cover is needed as it was when Romeu left, and Charles needs a season getting regular first team football. Ideally, Championship.

There might be a club willing to pay wages and a loan fee, and we might find some experience cheaply to strengthen. A win-win.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Even if it is somebody like Reed, who has been hinted at on here, I'd feel far more comfortable.

Reed would be an ideal partner* / understudy for Downes IMO (with Charles going on loan for a season)

(*would see both starting against the better teams, where we might want to deploy more defensive tactics, but Reed on the bench as back-up for Downes when we want/need a more attaching starting 11)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I'm going to assume that we as a club are not in the business of assuming 20 year olds in their first season in first team football will be the best they will ever be and ship them out on loan the moment we go up a level. It's not what we sold Shea himself and isn't exactly a shining example to any young players we want to sign or keep. 

I agree. However, rewarding players with average first seasons with an upgraded role is a recipe for disaster.

I'm quite shocked to see that anybody believes we don't need another senior figure in that area this year.

Edited by Saint Matty 76

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I agree. However, rewarding players with average first seasons with an upgraded role is a recipe for disaster.

I'm quite shocked to see that anybody believes we don't need another senior figure in that area this year.

I want to see a senior figure in goal, coming out to catch and dominate his area. that would do me a power of good
and keep weekend blood pressure normal.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I'm quite shocked people think we'll be going out and spending money on a Downes understudy if we've got other glaring problems with the squad.  As someone mentioned above, we'll probably go for another more advanced type of midfielder (O'Riley or similar) and maybe they can do a job if needed but the idea we'd spend money on someone like Reed and sit him on the bench half the time isn't going to happen (IMO).  Might get someone like Ghoddos in a on a free or nominal fee but that's probably it.

• Like 6

Just now, revolution saint said:

I'm quite shocked people think we'll be going out and spending money on a Downes understudy if we've got other glaring problems with the squad.  As someone mentioned above, we'll probably go for another more advanced type of midfielder (O'Riley or similar) and maybe they can do a job if needed but the idea we'd spend money on someone like Reed and sit him on the bench half the time isn't going to happen (IMO).  Might get someone like Ghoddos in a on a free or nominal fee but that's probably it.

I'm not suggesting we go and break the bank for an understudy here.

I'm talking about a couple million on Harrison Reed, or using one of our loan spots on an experienced option. There would be plenty of minutes available for either so I don't think it'd be an overly tough sell to the player.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, trousers said:

Reed would be an ideal partner* / understudy for Downes IMO (with Charles going on loan for a season)

(*would see both starting against the better teams, where we might want to deploy more defensive tactics, but Reed on the bench as back-up for Downes when we want/need a more attaching starting 11)

Why would Reed swap Fulham's bench for ours, and a relegation fight? 

Regardless, an understudy to Downes can't be a priority. We have big issues up front and out wide to address first. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Regardless, an understudy to Downes can't be a priority. We have big issues up front and out wide to address first. 

it wouldn't be a Saints transfer window if we sorted out our striker issues.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

it wouldn't be a Saints transfer window if we sorted out our striker issues.

Yep. Last minute loan deal for someone who can't get a kick in the championship, or from a bottom half french team is my guess. Needs addressing, and in fairness to the club, they've done better so far than I thought so you never know. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, egg said:

To be fair, my belief is that an experienced midfielder such as Reed would look at our squad and be of the opinion that he could find a way in quite easily. If you estimate we'll probably be lining up with something like the below, in the 5-3-2:

Smallbone - Downes - O'Riley/Aribo/Lallana

I'd imagine that most footballers with Premier League experience would take a look at the opportunity and be able to convince themselves that they could find their way in over Smallbone as a weekly starter, rather than just being an understudy to Downes.

Either way, plenty of other priorities as you mention, but I'd be worried if this wasn't addressed by the end of the window.

Have we actually been linked with Reed?  If he was available I'd have him back.  With our weak defence a strong defensive midfield partnership in front of them would help massively, ala Schneiderlain/Wanyama back in the good old days

• Like 1

Shea is Flynn’s understudy. End of conversation. When Flynn is not playing Shea should play that role. Cup matches, suspensions, injuries and illness cover. That’s going to be at least 10 matches already.

Will CAN play that 6 role if needed but this year I’d pick Shea. 

There is no pressing need to get a back up for Flynn. 

There is, however, a #9 shaped gap in our squad now Che has gone - and that is clearly a priority, added to that there is also a Stuart Armstrong shaped starting role in first team that needs filling.

I’d say Both those positions are ahead of any ideas of a back up DMF / #6 on the transfer front. Unless Shea is loaned out, of course, which is not impossible. 

NB I do not rule out that AL may be the Stuart replacement but with no disrespect intended to AL -  I’d rather not and prefer to think it will be O’reilly. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Have we actually been linked with Reed?  If he was available I'd have him back.  With our weak defence a strong defensive midfield partnership in front of them would help massively, ala Schneiderlain/Wanyama back in the good old days

Someone on here mentioned we'd made an enquiry but it's only rumour/hearsay.  I read that as us looking at alternatives if we couldn't get Downes (personally think Camara is probably the same) but who knows?  If we're playing three cbs then that lessens the need for too many defensive midfielders anyway - the problem will be getting enough bodies up to support the forwards.

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

My guess is the Lamine camara link was the plan B ( or C) if Flynn did not sign. Cue he probably joins us this window!😂

I think he’s the O’Riley alternative. Different players to Downes. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Appy said:

I think he’s the O’Riley alternative. Different players to Downes. 

That’s the way I see it. So it will be Camara as we are never spending what it will take to sign O’Reilly 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Agree that we need a dependable 'supporting actor' to Downes if/when he's out injured. And, yep, given Charles wasn't able to consistently fulfill that role last season, it would be a concern if he's being expected to fulfill the role in a league with an exponentially higher difficulty level. Indeed, it would simply be illogical to do so....

Agree to a point. But in my view we are desperate for a destroyer…….in the mould of Wanyama to play alongside Downes, as opposed to a supporting actor. 

Oh, and a GK, ST as well please 

36 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I still don’t see what Ings offers us, at all

I reckon he’d definitely offer us an enormous headache on the wage bill.

I know he’s only got 1 year left in his Hammers deal so transfer fee should be doable, but those wages are something else. He's 32 next week so no spring chicken either.

Many happy memories of Dings here but don’t see this one. We’ve already got Lallana for the ex-Saint well past his best role.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, JRM said:

But until he's confirmed as signing for someone else.....nah surely if he was going to re-sign for Saints that would have happened, seems a bit odd he's still a free agent though with clubs interested 

He keeps on popping over to Italy so I expect he’ll soon find a part of the country he likes. Turin or maybe Sassuolo?

55 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I reckon he’d definitely offer us an enormous headache on the wage bill.

I know he’s only got 1 year left in his Hammers deal so transfer fee should be doable, but those wages are something else. He's 32 next week so no spring chicken either.

Many happy memories of Dings here but don’t see this one. We’ve already got Lallana for the ex-Saint well past his best role.

Martin already said we've been linked loads this window and we aren't interested. 

• Like 3