Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Striker is a tough one.  What do we reckon our budget for that is?  I can't see us going much above 30M and even that might be pushing it (plus we're getting into the territory where the player is likely to have more attractive clubs in for him if valued at that sort of price). 

Obviously 30M doesn't guarantee much, I thought Scamacca would be great at 35M but he didn't do so well for West Ham, Broja apparently is valued not far short of 30 and a lot don't fancy him for that price either.  Could always go down the young foreign route but that's asking a lot of a young and relatively inexperienced player and again at those prices the likelihood is that a bigger club would probably snap them up.

I'm thinking it might be better to go for someone like Brereton-Diaz (think Sheff Utd were quoted 6M for him if they stayed up), and then another gamble on a younger player either from a big club and frustrated at lack of opportunity / foreign / Championship level (for maybe 20M)

Gamble either way really but think I'd be happier with a couple of options rather than all the eggs in one basket.  A lot will depend on Che and I guess we could use the loan market which might be the better route. 

Edited by revolution saint
  • Like 1

Just now, revolution saint said:

Striker is a tough one.  What do we reckon our budget for that is?  I can't see us going much above 30M and even that might be pushing it (plus we're getting into the territory where the player is likely to have more attractive clubs in for him if valued at that sort of price). 

Obviously 30M doesn't guarantee much, I thought Scamacca would be great at 35M but he didn't do so well for West Ham, Broja apparently is valued not far short of 30 and a lot don't fancy him for that price either.  Could always go down the young foreign route but that's asking a lot of a young and relatively inexperienced player and again at those prices the likelihood is that a bigger club would probably snap them up.

I'm thinking it might be better to go for someone like Brereton-Diaz (think Sheff Utd were quoted 6M for him if they stayed up), and then another gamble on a younger player either from a big club and frustrated at lack of opportunity / foreign / Championship level. 

Gamble either way really but think I'd be happier with a couple of options rather than all the eggs in one basket.  A lot will depend on Che and I guess we could use the loan market which might be the better route. 

I think we need two - I can see us getting a striker in the 10-15m bracket, but I also seeing us get that "30m' striker on a loan at the end of the window.

The club know that we need genuine quality in this area, so they'll focus on loans for this IMO - we wouldn't have the budget to get what we want permanent. I have faith in their loan picks as they've been great for the last year. I don't think we'll start the season with everyone we need though, might have to bide our time until the end of the window.

I don't know who will be available, but loan coups come out of no where in the last few days of the windows sometimes. (THB and Brooks being a couple of recent ones)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think we need two - I can see us getting a striker in the 10-15m bracket, but I also seeing us get that "30m' striker on a loan at the end of the window.

The club know that we need genuine quality in this area, so they'll focus on loans for this IMO - we wouldn't have the budget to get what we want permanent. I have faith in their loan picks as they've been great for the last year. I don't think we'll start the season with everyone we need though, might have to bide our time until the end of the window.

I don't know who will be available, but loan coups come out of no where in the last few days of the windows sometimes. (THB and Brooks being a couple of recent ones)

I hope you are right, we need to move on from the Che Adams/Seku Mara days and bring in some qulaity. I do wonder how much faith they will put in Ross Stewart, both in terms of staying fit and secondly what he might be able to produce in this league. I mean it is possible we already have a gem in our midst with him......or not !

Edited by beatlesaint

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, loan would make sense although I'm not sure teams are likely to loan out many players valued in that kind of bracket.  They'll be the ones that the parent club are hoping to move on for a permanent fee (like Sulemana) but unable to shift and will accept a loan in the absence of anything better.  The ones who need more opportunities and game time will probably be at a lower level (at least initially anyway).

Just now, revolution saint said:

Yeah, loan would make sense although I'm not sure teams are likely to loan out many players valued in that kind of bracket.  

Didnt Chelsea value Broja in that bracket when we had him on loan ? It was certainly a valuation based on potential rather than current ability thats for sure.

1 hour ago, MarkSFC said:

Ramsdale would be a very decent signing, preferably permanently but on loan is clearly most likely. Even if he cost 25-30m he'd be worth it as he is still only 26. Personally I think he's better than Pickford. 

We've done some good business so far, and unlike some others I do believe we will splash a bit of cash on 3 or 4 really good players, as in 20m type of bracket. Ramsdale (ideally!!), a striker, and a winger. Still think we need another DCM (Ghoddos sounded like a good option to me, but seems to have gone very quiet), even the OX. 

Jack Clarke I think would be a good signing and then we need a striker. Breton-Diaz would be OK, even that Luton striker. We need a couple really. 

Ramsdale’s on £120k pw at Arsenal so I don’t think we’d be in a position to match that as a perm even if he was up for the move in principle. Would be an excellent loan though if we could find a chunk of that and they keep paying a bit too. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Chez said:

€11.59m made from Perraud, Carleta-Car and Lyanco.

£20m for THB
up to £18m for Downes
£3m Wood
£3m Edwards

The current squad is weaker than the one that got relegated (Lavia, Tino, JWP all missing), but the team that got relegated should never have gone down - That was entirely down to SR undermining the manager and coaching setup, sacking hassenhuttle, and then making two terrible appointments.

Against that, I have faith that we once again have an effective style of play and team. The attack is weaker currently - its the same as what came down, minus Che - which is impressive.... but surely this is the window where SR finally buy a good striker?!?!? Surely?!?! Right?!?!?!

The defence is better, and with Downes in midfield, a more structured defence, and the cb's we have for a back 5 - i think we'll be better defensively than when we got relegated.

If we sign a good attacker, and possibly Ramsdale (i can't quite believe he'll go from Arsenal to saints, or that if he is available we'll be the ones to get him), then i think we'll be sound.

Over to SR to finally sign a good striker...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I highly recommend this website for free scouting of players and searching for players based on criteria https://scoutingstats.ai/

I was looking for young strikers under 24yrs, under 30mil who've played minutes, provide a goal threat etc to see some interesting names for us to discuss and see our own Sekou pops up.

image.thumb.png.9826c7879663d2de5fb0e0cb0562eea2.png

This is hardly a ringing endorsement of the website 😆.

Edited by Saint86
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, MarkSFC said:

Ramsdale would be a very decent signing, preferably permanently but on loan is clearly most likely. Even if he cost 25-30m he'd be worth it as he is still only 26. Personally I think he's better than Pickford. 

We've done some good business so far, and unlike some others I do believe we will splash a bit of cash on 3 or 4 really good players, as in 20m type of bracket. Ramsdale (ideally!!), a striker, and a winger. Still think we need another DCM (Ghoddos sounded like a good option to me, but seems to have gone very quiet), even the OX. 

Jack Clarke I think would be a good signing and then we need a striker. Breton-Diaz would be OK, even that Luton striker. We need a couple really. 

21 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Ramsdale’s on £120k pw at Arsenal so I don’t think we’d be in a position to match that as a perm even if he was up for the move in principle. Would be an excellent loan though if we could find a chunk of that and they keep paying a bit too. 

Ramsdale was brought for £24 rising to £30m - I assume we would be looking at £30m + and his wages would be beyond our limits 

On loan for a year - YES 

2 hours ago, SaintLondon said:

This *might* be bollocks and not in CoT or generally ITK but heard from a mate who works in comms for BBC sport that there might be some legs in the Ramsdale loan. 

1 hour ago, danjosaint said:

The COT will know

2 hours ago, SaintLondon said:

This *might* be bollocks and not in CoT or generally ITK but heard from a mate who works in comms for BBC sport that there might be some legs in the Ramsdale loan. 

Just saying 👆

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, northam soul said:

We are now in that period where we are lacking a good link with legs.

Come on Journo’s let’s have some.

Well yes, let’s hope they’ve got legs……😀

Just now, Charlie Wayman said:

You said British players

Yes I did. I said it was interesting that we now had a number of British players such that we could field a reasonable team from them. I never said I cared if we sign British players or not, nor did I suggest I preferred signing British players over other nationalities.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I have a mate also that has loose links to the club - Aaron Ramsdale isn’t as far fetched as you might think. Enquiries have certainly been made.

He is meant to be a top guy too. Really decent lad. Ramsdale that is, i dont know about your mate.

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

I highly recommend this website for free scouting of players and searching for players based on criteria https://scoutingstats.ai/

I was looking for young strikers under 24yrs, under 30mil who've played minutes, provide a goal threat etc to see some interesting names for us to discuss and see our own Sekou pops up.

image.thumb.png.9826c7879663d2de5fb0e0cb0562eea2.png

Nice,

I was having a mess about and came back with the following:

Maximilian Beier
Jonas Wind
Dion Drena Beljo
Justin Nijnmah

Terem Moffi

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Hopefully striker loans if we go that route come with an option to buy, in the event we stay up we'll likely have a bigger budget to work with to allow us to exercise those options. 

15 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Nice,

Maximilian Beier
Jonas Wind
Dion Drena Beljo
Justin Nijnmah

Terem Moffi

16 Goals and 3 Assists in 33 Bundesliga apps last season at just 21 years old.

He has a £25m release clause in his contract, but I imagine their would be bigger vultures circling than us.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

He has a £25m release clause in his contract, but I imagine their would be bigger vultures circling than us.

Apparently Villa interested but he wont play ahead of Watkins

Edited by Convict Colony

48 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I have a mate also that has loose links to the club - Aaron Ramsdale isn’t as far fetched as you might think. Enquiries have certainly been made.

Would be a massive leap of faith in the Board if they could pull this off, and hugely improve our chances of staying up and establishing in line with Wilcox's stated plan.  As per Turkish above, I've also heard from people in the game that Ramsdale is a great character and old school down to earth.  Maybe just maybe he fancies a return to the south coast as the place to bring up his young family.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

If it's a loan with zero commitment then they won't be able to keep them, i think with someone like Ramsdale we will provide a platform for him to showcase himself again - there will never been a scenario where he signs for us permanently should he join us on loan. If he gets a move after us, it'll be to a bigger club if he's done well.

This is why I think the club are looking at loans and free options in GK - I don't agree with it, but they've put all their eggs into the Bazunu basket and they're not giving up on it yet, they're clearly looking for a stop gap.

My point is not that we sign Ramsdale (unless he wants to come and we can afford him) - what I'm saying is that, having had a season with a decent keeper such as Ramsdale, assuming he shows his worth and saves us points, the fans will not want a return to Baz and will expect the club to source and invest in a better option.

30 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

There we are, I've just completed Football Manager, get him in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Great news. Even if we don't get him, it does at least mean the club recognises that we need a keeper.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Not to be a downer on the Ramsdale gossip but isnt the reason he's not playing at Arsenal because he cant pass out from the back well enough for arteta ?

Think someone who can save the friggin ball is more important for us especially in the Premier league. Plus I've watched games where Ramsdale played some superb passes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Not to be a downer on the Ramsdale gossip but isnt the reason he's not playing at Arsenal because he cant pass out from the back well enough for arteta ?

Pretty sure that was just an excuse to get Raya in tbh. Dont think Arteta ever really fancied Ramsdale.

• Like 2

We already have Paul Onuachu  as a proven goalscorer though he doesn’t fit in RM’s system. Instead of loaning him out or selling him for cheap, RM should find a way to fit him in. At least, RM should think about a Plan B when we are chasing the game, and use Onuachu as an impact substitute. As we have seen many times, RM doesn’t have any Plan B at all. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

McCarthy isn't too great at that either and I thought we played better with him in goal by avoiding a lot of passing back to him.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

We already have Paul Onuachu  as a proven goalscorer though he doesn’t fit in RM’s system. Instead of loaning him out or selling him for cheap, RM should find a way to fit him in. At least, RM should think about a Plan B when we are chasing the game, and use Onuachu as an impact substitute. As we have seen many times, RM doesn’t have any Plan B at all. 

No, he's absolutely shite. Should never have bought him for Jones, should have just sacked Jones earlier. He was a shocking buy, and always will be.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Russell Martin has admitted that Che has definitely left in a youtube interview.

Not sure it quite reads like that.

Paraphrasing, when talking about dressing room DJ, he says it was Che but hes's gone now, then says they got rid of him cos of his musical taste.

I'm guessing they're planning without him for now, but wouldn't say thats official confirmation! 

2 hours ago, le_tiss said:

Ramsdale was brought for £24 rising to £30m - I assume we would be looking at £30m + and his wages would be beyond our limits 

On loan for a year - YES 

Loan makes sense (I'm sure the player wont want to tie himself down to Saints in case we go straight back down), but £125k a week and a loan fee, let's say £5m, means he might cost us £11.5m for on year.  I'm not saying he's not worth it, but the club may be reluctant to effectively pay a guy £220k a week, when they have three senior keepers on the books.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Nice,

Maximilian Beier
Jonas Wind
Dion Drena Beljo
Justin Nijnmah

Terem Moffi

Moffi was talked about a lot before we signed Onuachu. Scored 20 goals in 52 games for Nice. Not sure he's the answer though personally.

3 hours ago, revolution saint said:

I'm thinking it might be better to go for someone like Brereton-Diaz (think Sheff Utd were quoted 6M for him if they stayed up), and then another gamble on a younger player either from a big club and frustrated at lack of opportunity / foreign / Championship level (for maybe 20M)

I also thought Scamacca would thrive, even at West Ham, but the manager didn't show a huge amount of faith in him - perhaps he didn't earn it. Scored a few once he joined Atalanta.

Shows the challenge though. £30m, all the physical attributes and full of confidence, yet it didn't work out.

With Stewart, Armstrong and Mara, plus Ballard, I cant see us signing more than one striker. Again, a loan might make sense. We can attract a better quality player as they wont be concerned about being stuck with us if we go down. If we stay up, we can expand our horizons next summer. Brereton-Diaz is a decent footballer and might work well.

1 hour ago, HKsaint said:

Hello Paul, thanks for the suggestion but you're going back to Turkey I'm afraid mate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Not sure it quite reads like that.

Paraphrasing, when talking about dressing room DJ, he says it was Che but hes's gone now, then says they got rid of him cos of his musical taste.

I'm guessing they're planning without him for now, but wouldn't say thats official confirmation! 

Literally says he’s gone mate. His contract has run out, he’s not at the club and the manager says he’s gone. Not sure we need to overthink this one.

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Literally says he’s gone mate. His contract has run out, he’s not at the club and the manager says he’s gone. Not sure we need to overthink this one.

But until he's confirmed as signing for someone else.....nah surely if he was going to re-sign for Saints that would have happened, seems a bit odd he's still a free agent though with clubs interested 

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Just saw that WHU are in advanced talks to sign Wan-Bisakka for around £15m from Man Utd.

Looks like one less destination for KWP.

Woukd hope we wouldn't countenance selling him to Brighton. Spurs or bust?