Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

5 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

I used to work in Housebuilding, and I remember that I had left site to go and pick something up from a Builders Merchant. I was driving along half-listening to Radio Solent when I heard the words "Saints sign Kevin Keegan"......I nearly drove off the road! I genuinely thought that I was dreaming. There will never, ever be a signing for Saints like it.....the current European Player of the Year. Magnificent era in Saints history.

Legendary day the day Keegan signed. Can I remember where I was when I heard about it? Oh yes, I was on my way home from school. I bumped into a good friend at a corner, and he said something like "you're not gonna believe this, but I just read in a magazine that Kevin Keegan has signed for Southampton". 

• Like 1

I was just back from school -  rematerialising in the teleporter at home - when our AI-helper-bot made the shock 'Saints Sign Kevin Keegan'  announcement across the 3D simul-cast media system. My dad nearly fell off his hover jet.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Surely arriverderci Kameldeen  if this Palace lad strolls up? Or if he doesn’t seems writing is starting to become visible on the wall for KS…

How much £££££ have we got for sales this summer and are we balancing the budget?

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I wouldn't pay much attention to that page, once they all have their pictures with the new kit it will be updated. It's certainly not where I look for gospel info, the media team update that as and when. Almost certainly just an oversight I'd have thought.

Thank you so much for your advice. 🙄

11 hours ago, Dellyears said:

How much £££££ have we got for sales this summer and are we balancing the budget?

€11.59m made from Perraud, Carleta-Car and Lyanco.

£20m for THB
up to £18m for Downes
£3m Wood
£3m Edwards

Edited by Chez

The Crystal Palace player link makes no sense whatsoever.  Championship sides in for him and if he is signed by us what message does that send to SAA and Dibling (or others coming through) about their (non-existent) pathway to the first team.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Chez said:

€11.59 made from Perraud, Carleta-Car and Lyanco.

£20m for THB
up to £18m for Downes
£3m Wood
£3m Edwards

So a fairly hefty net spend already for a club of our budget...

12 minutes ago, washsaint said:

The Crystal Palace player link makes no sense whatsoever.  Championship sides in for him and if he is signed by us what message does that send to SAA and Dibling (or others coming through) about their (non-existent) pathway to the first team.

Think SAA and Ballard off to Reading with Selles

10 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Spent circa £140m in our last Premier League season

Only because we gambled in staying up on Jan, it was never the plan. We got desperate and lost. 

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 4

Interestingly assuming we sign Fraser we could now put out a mostly half decent first 11 made up entirely of British players:

Mccarthy 

Bree Edwards THB Taylor 

Downes Smallbone 

Armstrong Fraser 

Lallana 

Stewart 

• Like 1

The only snippet I've heard is that we've been focusing a lot more on the American market (North and South) in terms of scouting and we have an interest in Santiago Rodriguez who is at New York City. Attacking midfielder, 24 YO, 8 goals and 4 assists in 23 games this season. No idea if it's a goer other than us having watched him a few times. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Spent circa £140m in our last Premier League season

Does this mean we are in danger of points deduction if we don't balance the books? Its no good buying more and more players if that will happen.

1 minute ago, Dellyears said:

Does this mean we are in danger of points deduction if we don't balance the books? Its no good buying more and more players if that will happen.

We helped balance them last season by selling Lavia / JWP etc 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Interestingly assuming we sign Fraser we could now put out a mostly half decent first 11 made up entirely of British players:

Mccarthy 

Bree Edwards THB Taylor 

Downes Smallbone 

Armstrong Fraser 

Lallana 

Stewart 

Just now, Dellyears said:

I don't care where they come from as long as long as they produce the goods. We don't belong to the Farage lot

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

I don't care where they come from as long as long as they produce the goods. We don't belong to the Farage lot

Really odd post. Where did I say I cared where our players came from? 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

The only snippet I've heard is that we've been focusing a lot more on the American market (North and South) in terms of scouting and we have an interest in Santiago Rodriguez who is at New York City. Attacking midfielder, 24 YO, 8 goals and 4 assists in 23 games this season. No idea if it's a goer other than us having watched him a few times. 

Bought by Montevideo City Torque before being sold to New York City. Both owned by City Group.

We may be tapping the American market, but it seems we're still fishing in City's pond

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Mccarthy 

Bree Edwards THB Taylor 

Downes Smallbone 

Armstrong Fraser 

Lallana 

Stewart 

half decent for the championship

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Polaroid Saint said:

I was just back from school -  rematerialising in the teleporter at home - when our AI-helper-bot made the shock 'Saints Sign Kevin Keegan'  announcement across the 3D simul-cast media system. My dad nearly fell off his hover jet.

Very funny!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, goodymatt said:

This is interesting. The question is if Martin wants him. I’m all for keeping him, offers us something different and with no Stu (or replacement so far) it makes sense to keep. 

However, if Martin can’t trust him in his system, he’s definitely one that can raise funds to buy others.

But it appears Martin trusts his friends (Wood and Manning), instead of giving changes to Charly and Stu.  

9 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Mccarthy 

Bree Edwards THB Taylor 

Downes Smallbone 

Armstrong Fraser 

Lallana 

Stewart 

I'm gonna grab Smallbone for the non-British side. You can have Charles instead.

Baz

Sugawara Bednarek AbK Manning

Alcaraz Smallbone Aribo Sulemana

Mara Onuachu

Just now, Chez said:

I'm gonna grab Smallbone for the non-British side. You can have Charles instead.

Baz

Sugawara Bednarek AbK Manning

Alcaraz Smallbone Aribo Sulemana

Mara Onuachu

Fair enough. I'll keep KWP then for the period he is still here :). 

59 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

But it appears Martin trusts his friends (Wood and Manning), instead of giving changes to Charly and Stu.  

What are you on about Stu was offered a contract but wanted to leave. He trusts Manning so much he signed Charlie Taylor!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Does seem a bit of an ambitious fee. No doubt he will go this summer though. Amazing if we can get close to that number.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Does seem a bit of an ambitious fee. No doubt he will go this summer though. Amazing if we can get close to that number.

20 million should be more than enough. Would give us a net spend of 18 million thus far if we get that. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

This *might* be bollocks and not in CoT or generally ITK but heard from a mate who works in comms for BBC sport that there might be some legs in the Ramsdale loan. 

My mate is still adamant that Ramsdale was present when Lallana was having his medical. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

This *might* be bollocks and not in CoT or generally ITK but heard from a mate who works in comms for BBC sport that there might be some legs in the Ramsdale loan. 

I guess we'll find out in a few weeks, won't be anything imminent in that one.

A loan for an experienced/decent level GK does make sense though, no commitment to buying a new number 1 and upsetting the Bazunu love-in. (We all know he's back starting for us next season, and the club won't want to change that by spending big on someone now...!)

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

My mate is still adamant that Ramsdale was present when Lallana was having his medical. 

i missed your post on this but why would he have been there at his medical? 

3 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

i missed your post on this but why would he have been there at his medical? 

I've got absolutely no idea but I did post it at the time prior to Adam's signing. My friend knows someone in the building where the medical takes place. Maybe he was discussing the possibility of a loan?

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I guess we'll find out in a few weeks, won't be anything imminent in that one.

A loan for an experienced/decent level GK does make sense though, no commitment to buying a new number 1 and upsetting the Bazunu love-in. (We all know he's back starting for us next season, and the club won't want to change that by spending big on someone now...!)

I think if we bring in a decent keeper on loan and he does well the club might well be forced to change their narrative on Baz. If we get someone who makes a big improvement for a season most fans will not be happy to see the return of Baz and will want us to sign a quality keeper.

Just now, saintant said:

I think if we bring in a decent keeper on loan and he does well the club might well be forced to change their narrative on Baz. If we get someone who makes a big improvement for a season most fans will not be happy to see the return of Baz and will want us to sign a quality keeper.

If it's a loan with zero commitment then they won't be able to keep them, i think with someone like Ramsdale we will provide a platform for him to showcase himself again - there will never been a scenario where he signs for us permanently should he join us on loan. If he gets a move after us, it'll be to a bigger club if he's done well.

This is why I think the club are looking at loans and free options in GK - I don't agree with it, but they've put all their eggs into the Bazunu basket and they're not giving up on it yet, they're clearly looking for a stop gap.

Ramsdale would be a very decent signing, preferably permanently but on loan is clearly most likely. Even if he cost 25-30m he'd be worth it as he is still only 26. Personally I think he's better than Pickford. 

We've done some good business so far, and unlike some others I do believe we will splash a bit of cash on 3 or 4 really good players, as in 20m type of bracket. Ramsdale (ideally!!), a striker, and a winger. Still think we need another DCM (Ghoddos sounded like a good option to me, but seems to have gone very quiet), even the OX. 

Jack Clarke I think would be a good signing and then we need a striker. Breton-Diaz would be OK, even that Luton striker. We need a couple really. 

• Like 1