Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Flynn Downes would be a great addition.

We need a rock of a midfielder. A right-back if KWP goes and cover if he doesn't. A new left-back is priority and a solid centre-back. ABK could do a job but I don't see him returning.

Sign Brooks and Fraser as both have experience and something to offer. I'm hoping Edozie will shine in the way that Eze and Olise have for Palace. 

We definitely need a goalscorer and a number 10.

Ings could be a useful addition and I'd rather have him that Che, but he shouldn't be the first choice striker.

I'd like SA to stay as he's got experience and is a useful squad player. 

Lumley, Bree, Manning have to go.

Stephens and Bednarek are squad players at best. 

Not sure about Shea Charles, Alcaraz or KS.

Loan out the youngsters like Ballard etc. 

22 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I think the Lumley contract was simply a case of if we stay down we have a backup keeper we have confidence in, if we go up he can be second choice (until Baz is fit) and he's on very, very low wages by Prem standards and can be released after a season if we stay up.

Basically...

If we let him go we need to find a new number one AND number two keeper. 

Not sure why finding two keepers would be such a nightmare. Like last time when McCarthy and Forster were on the verge of leaving, I see it as an opportunity not a problem. Lumley looked  shit in that Watford game. I've seen little else of him, but fans of previous clubs have little positive to say about him. No idea why we have given him a new contract when the manager didn't even think he was as good as McCarthy. Not a ringing endorsement. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Downes is going back to west ham due to their midfield situation and the new manager wanting to seem him play no doubt. 

Hope we can get him here. Not aa foregone conclusion. Forest couldn't sign James Garner from United when the came up and it really left a hole in their midfield  

Our loans will obviously be back at SMS collecting their wages all summer. I wonder, do they get Championship (reduced if it was in their contract) wages or Prem wages?

11 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Not sure about Shea Charles

time is on his side, but looked ill equipped to run a midfield in the championship. He's going to have to make massive strides to be an effective holding midfielder in the Prem. he needs games. Lots of them to develop his game. A season out on loan at the right side could be the making of him.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

Not sure why finding two keepers would be such a nightmare. Like last time when McCarthy and Forster were on the verge of leaving, I see it as an opportunity not a problem. Lumley looked  shit in that Watford game. I've seen little else of him, but fans of previous clubs have little positive to say about him. No idea why we have given him a new contract when the manager didn't even think he was as good as McCarthy. Not a ringing endorsement. 

We're going to need almost 10 new signings as it is to keep us in the league. Not having to find someone else when we have someone who has been more than capable when he's played is a bonus. Another keeper means more scouting, another transfer fee, another wage, another signing bonus, another agents fee, another player to be settled in and learn the routines.

22 minutes ago, Chez said:

We don’t need two new keepers, if we let Lumley go we’d only end up replacing him with another player of similar calibre. We’ve a big enough recruitment task as it is this summer, without wasting time on a like for like swap for a third choice keeper. We will almost certainly be looking for a new first choice, Lis will most likely be on the bench until Baz is fit, Lumley is third choice. I’m not sure what else you’re realistically expecting.

McCarthy is a perfectly acceptable back up. An experienced keeper is exactly what you want to fulfil that role. He’s just proved that with his performances in the play offs & has earnt a new contract (provided he’s not greedy). Focused and professional despite not featuring for most of the season, the last thing you need is an unproven back up that shits himself when the pressure is on.

It’s not his fault our number one is pony. A proper decent number 1, with McCarthy as back up, lumley as 3rd choice and Baz on loan somewhere, we’re not going to get much better options than that. 

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Flynn Downes would be a great addition.

We need a rock of a midfielder. A right-back if KWP goes and cover if he doesn't. A new left-back is priority and a solid centre-back. ABK could do a job but I don't see him returning.

Sign Brooks and Fraser as both have experience and something to offer. I'm hoping Edozie will shine in the way that Eze and Olise have for Palace. 

We definitely need a goalscorer and a number 10.

Ings could be a useful addition and I'd rather have him that Che, but he shouldn't be the first choice striker.

I'd like SA to stay as he's got experience and is a useful squad player. 

Lumley, Bree, Manning have to go.

Stephens and Bednarek are squad players at best. 

Not sure about Shea Charles, Alcaraz or KS.

Loan out the youngsters like Ballard etc. 

Generally agree but I think Bednarek is better than just a squad player. 

Alcaraz and KS are not good enough. KS couldn't even do a job in the Championship. Shea Charles is worth retaining and/or loaning out

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I read somewhere earlier that Fraser is a done deal on a free from Newcastle. 

Another excellent bit of business if we could get him in. Newcastle will be keen to offload to meet PRS. Fraser will have a fair idea of the wage, and seemed keen to be here.

• Like 2

I'd be surprised to see McCarthy here. The club have been keen to shift him off the wage bill for a couple of seasons. If offering anything, it would be on reduced terms. McCarthy may not accept that, and could well find himself as back up at a club willing to pay him more.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We don’t need two new keepers, if we let Lumley go we’d only end up replacing him with another player of similar calibre. We’ve a big enough recruitment task as it is this summer, without wasting time on a like for like swap for a third choice keeper. We will almost certainly be looking for a new first choice, Lis will most likely be on the bench until Baz is fit, Lumley is third choice. I’m not sure what else you’re realistically expecting.

Better. Giving new contracts to players not good enough for the championship doesn't seem like a good plan to me. With Baz out injured, he will either be starting or on our bench. That does not fill me with much joy. If you are happy with that, fine. It's a long summer and then a long old season. We'll circle back.

Edited by Chez

13 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Another excellent bit of business if we could get him in. Newcastle will be keen to offload to meet PRS. Fraser will have a fair idea of the wage, and seemed keen to be here.

no other Prem side is signing him. Not 100% sire we should be, but he's had a very good season.  I'd like to think we can get him on a reasonable wage for two years.

Fraser seems like a popular guy, and I think it's easy to underestimate the importance on good characters in the squad. Something we really lacked last season by the sounds of things. Seems to be Lumley's kicker too.

I'm almost certain he's not the answer on the pitch for a Premier League team, but he put in a brilliant shift yesterday. As long as he takes a huge pay cut (which I can only imagine he will have to) I'd be okay with him as a squad player. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

Generally agree but I think Bednarek is better than just a squad player. 

He's has a very good season...in the championship. In the Prem his mistakes and limitations will be more obvious. They all will. We will struggle to sign better until we solidify our prem status.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Chez said:

no other Prem side is signing him. Not 100% sire we should be, but he's had a very good season.  I'd like to think we can get him on a reasonable wage for two years.

I agree with much of that.

He made a difference when he joined us. That didn't keep going, but came back in and made a difference at the end too.

With another half dozen gaps requiring first team options, a zero fee, reasonable wage SR can live with, would be ideal.

Our attack stands at:-

AA, Stewart, Mara, Sule, Edozie, SAA, Ounacho, (Aribo)

He's getting a lot of minutes in that group.

We can then focus attention elsewhere.

Edit: Forgot to mention the experience, personality and work ethic to the squad too. Not to be underestimated.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chez said:

Better. Giving new contracts to players not good enough for the championship doesn't seem like a good plan to me. With Baz out injured, he will either be starting or on our bench. That does not fill me with much joy. If you are happy with that, fine. It's a long summer and then a long old season. We'll circle back.

I think you greatly overestimate the standard of footballer willing to be third choice goalkeeper at Saints AND within our budget. He's obviously not going to be starting PL games, unless we have a serious injury crisis. I would hope we're looking at a new first choice, with a view to competing with Baz long term, with Lis and Lumley as cover until the latter recovers from his injury.

4 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I agree with much of that.

He made a difference when he joined us. That didn't keep going, but came back in and made a difference at the end too.

With another half dozen gaps requiring first team options, a zero fee, reasonable wage SR can live with, would be ideal.

Our attack stands at:-

AA, Stewart, Mara, Sule, Edozie, SAA, Ounacho, (Aribo)

He's getting a lot of minutes in that group.

We can then focus attention elsewhere.

Edit: Forgot to mention the experience, personality and work ethic to the squad too. Not to be underestimated.

I wonder if we will stick with the 5 at the back. Having extra men back made a huge difference in the final four games. That will make a difference to who we sign. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chez said:

I wonder if we will stick with the 5 at the back. Having extra men back made a huge difference in the final four games. That will make a difference to who we sign. 

Definitely an option. Another plus for Fraser. KWP on the other side suits that too.

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

I think you greatly overestimate the standard of footballer willing to be third choice goalkeeper at Saints AND within our budget. He's obviously not going to be starting PL games, unless we have a serious injury crisis. I would hope we're looking at a new first choice, with a view to competing with Baz long term, with Lis and Lumley as cover until the latter recovers from his injury.

Are we though?

Baz is out for a long time. Until he returns Lumley is second choice. An injury away from starting Prem games. Shudder.

1 hour ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Downes is going back to west ham due to their midfield situation and the new manager wanting to seem him play no doubt. 

West Ham will aim higher than Downes as first choice in midfield. If he's happy to sit on their bench he might stay there but I get the feeling he wants to be playing. My view is that, if he wants to stay we'll sign him. I just don't see him as being high on West Ham's list of priorities.

• Like 2

Interesting to note in all of the posts above that there is virtually no mention of Aribo. PL quality or not?

The priorities for the club over the next few days are KWP and Downes. We need both of them nailed down. That would be a great start to the summer.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

Interesting to note in all of the posts above that there is virtually no mention of Aribo. PL quality or not?

The priorities for the club over the next few days are KWP and Downes. We need both of them nailed down. That would be a great start to the summer.

Going by my interpretation from this afternoon neither will be here .Flyn very sheepish about future but Russ/Blackmore made known to him he is wanted here. 
KWP song was one more year … think that sounded like done deal elsewhere Spurs?

THB too drunk to attend but joining. Aribo was at a wedding:-)

Most too drunk to talk know how that feels.

Edited by Give it to Ron

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

Are we though?

Baz is out for a long time. Until he returns Lumley is second choice. An injury away from starting Prem games. Shudder.

Why wouldn't we be? If we're letting McC go, we're clearly looking to get someone in and they're going to have to be good enough to start the lions share of games next year. At the risk of repeating myself, it'll likely be a new first choice, Lis and Lumley until Baz is fit. Better keepers are NOT going to come here and be third choice.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Going by my interpretation from this afternoon neither will be here .Flyn very sheepish about future but Russ/Blackmore made known to him he is wanted here. 
KWP song was one more year … think that sounded like done deal elsewhere Spurs?

THB too drunk to attend but joining. Aribo was at a wedding:-)

Most too drunk to talk know how that feels.

I don’t think Flynn can be anything but coy at the moment - nothing is agreed and even if he’d love to stay he can’t say that at the moment in case he ends up staying at West Ham or goes somewhere else.

KWP more of a concern, had hoped promotion would possibly convince him to sign an extension, but doesn’t sound like it.

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

I read somewhere earlier that Fraser is a done deal on a free from Newcastle. 

Should be true he’s got no future at Newcastle, wants to be here and would be a good addition as a squad player 

6 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Lavia back on loan would be perfect 

Lavia, Broja, Livramento - we've done it before, I hope we can find some decent kids from somewhere

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Echo reporting were trying to get Downes and frazer permanently 

Wouldn’t go too much on that by his reaction this afternoon it’s down to if West Ham want him and if he wants to come here if they don’t 

1 minute ago, whelk said:

Broja is not the answer. Seems some massively overrate him. 

I don't think we should look back at what we had before anyway. We were on a downward trend when we signed them, time to look forwards and upwards.

• Like 2

I'd take Fraser. He can finish, still has a bit of pace and would be a decent last ten minutes option in the PL still. Not a starter though.

Aribo isn't going to cut it at CM in the PL - just a bit too slow and ungainly. Smallbone could do a job, but only further forward trying to link play and get the occasional foot in as a bonus. If we get Downes we'll still need some strength alongside him. Unfortunately, the going rate for a young physical and technical DM is about 30m+ these days (going by what Everton and Forest paid for Onana and Sangare).

ABK's current value as a saleable asset is much lower than we'd have to pay to bring in a player with equivalent potential. He's the most likely to step back in, and if he stayed fit could make a great partner alongside THB. Bednarek has been great this season, but he's just not a very good PL defender.

I just hope we've overhauled our scouting since the last summer window. If we want to play a technical, possession game, we're going to need technical players. And since we can't afford technical, physical and PL-proven, we're going to have to scout well to find them elsewhere.

Broja isn't the same player he was here previously from what I've seen of him on TV. The knee injury seems to have set him back quite significantly. His main skill here was picking up the ball from deep and then just running with pace and power, but he doesn't do that anymore, hence the 1 league goal in 21 appearances for Chelsea and Fulham this season. 0 in 8 at Fulham, we can do better now. We don't need to aim low, players want to come to the Premier League if we get our scouting right.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I can’t believe we’re going to spend much, & also think Martin will be happy with a few tweaks to the present bunch. 

Decent keeper, with AM as number 2. Baz on loan somewhere once fit again (preferably back to Pompey). 

left back. Jack, Manning & Bree good enough cover for both full back positions, hopefully KWP stays, but need left back. 

I like it. Kill two birds with one stone.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Should be true he’s got no future at Newcastle, wants to be here and would be a good addition as a squad player 

Hadn't realised until yesterday that Fraser and Martin were roommates with Scotland, seems like they are good buddies.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

The Beeb are reporting Chelsea are after Maresca, which I think will be a hilarious disaster all round of it does happen.

Laughable when you remember how popular Maresca was at Leicester 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

The Beeb are reporting Chelsea are after Maresca, which I think will be a hilarious disaster all round of it does happen.

unsettles Leicester, which is good for us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

unsettles Leicester, which is good for us.

McKenna has been courted by teams too. We might be the only promoted side that still has the manager that got them promoted come August. (Assuming a bigger club doesn't come in for Martin, though I can't see it). 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What would people think about us signing Kalvin Phillips perhaps on loan especially if we miss out on Downes? I know he struggled at West Ham in a David Moyes system but surely "the Yorkshire Pirlo" would suit a Russell Martin team perfectly. Given our previous dealings with Man City, it seems plausible.

Edited by Disco Stu

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

What would people think about us signing Kalvin Phillips perhaps on loan especially if we miss out on Downes? I know he struggled at West Ham in a David Moyes system but surely "the Yorkshire Pirlo" would suit a Russel Martin team perfectly. Given our previous dealings with Man City, it seems plausible.

good thoughts but I would have thought he is still too big a fish to swim in our pond

Posted (edited)

Lallana makes sense IMO. Probably on a one year playing contract with some form of coaching thrown in, as he wants to coach when he does retire.

Clearly won't be expected to play many minutes but has invaluable PL experience and has played under some of the best PL managers of recent times. I know his leadership was very much valued at Brighton despite limited playing time and he is someone who keeps standards high within the squad, with similar feedback from Liverpool too.

For minimal outlay it seems a solid move to bring in another British player and one who has a strong link with the club and might be seeking a longer term role here.

Was noticeable we signed British players last summer and I reckon we will try to keep that core.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, whelk said:

Broja is not the answer. Seems some massively overrate him. 

Said the same thing for the last couple of years. Six goals during a ten game purple patch does not mirage the other twenty plus where he was anonymous. 

Things we know:
- Russell Martin has already said the club will do what it can to keep this group together, including Che Adams, Stu Armstrong and Alex McCarthy.
- Taylor Harwood-Bellis is all but confirmed.
- Russell Martin has expressed a keenness to make Ryan Fraser and Flynn Downes permanent.

Today:
- Adam Lallana rumours doing the rounds - albeit it could be because he was simply pictured up in the comfy seats of Wembley.

This evening:
- Fans begin to dream of getting the band back together including Romeo Lavia, Armando Broja, Adam Lallana etc, etc. 😂

Move on. New team, new vibes, why would you ever want people from the not so good times where the club mentality was different? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Things we know:
- Russell Martin has already said the club will do what it can to keep this group together, including Che Adams, Stu Armstrong and Alex McCarthy.
- Taylor Harwood-Bellis is all but confirmed.
- Russell Martin has expressed a keenness to make Ryan Fraser and Flynn Downes permanent.

Today:
- Adam Lallana rumours doing the rounds - albeit it could be because he was simply pictured up in the comfy seats of Wembley.

This evening:
- Fans begin to dream of getting the band back together including Romeo Lavia, Armando Broja, Adam Lallana etc, etc. 😂

Move on. New team, new vibes, why would you ever want people from the not so good times where the club mentality was different? 

Lallana is clearly signing/done. Not even really a rumour now.