Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

45 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

Slightly different era old chap. 

I remember getting home from school that day and suddenly seeing Keegan all over my Twitter feed.

My old man had the telly on and it was on there.

I said to him you are so 80s dad.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Yes I agree Broja on loan is low risk. We should certainly pursue this avenue! 

As for winger option I would go for Jack Clarke.

Cover for downes

And a GK then it's job done 

What about a fit striker?! A combo of Broja (hasnt done anything in about 3 years, since he was with us!) and Stewart (played a total of 44 mins for us) with Mara and Armstrong (who has shown he's much better off the right) doesnt fill me with any confidence. 

• Like 1

For me Broja was a great fit for Ralphball until he lost interest but I'm not convinced he's got the attributes that we would want to fit into Russ' side.

Ideally we need someone with a great sense of positioning who is able to play in tight spaces and recieve the ball to feet... not a big ask then 😅

I hate myself for saying it but someone in the mold of an Ings 💀 (I don't want to see Ings back)

Edited by Hopper
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, northam soul said:

I remember getting home from school that day and suddenly seeing Keegan all over my Twitter feed.

I first heard it on the wireless (there’s an old term) in the kitchen. 

For younger readers, this was a small transistor radio, sometimes referred to as a “tranny” , when you could use the word without anyone knowing the term ‘hate speech’ . 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Hopper said:

For me Broja was a great fit for Ralphball until he lost interest but I'm not convinced he's got the attributes that we would want to fit into Russ' side.

Ideally we need someone with a great sense of positioning who is able to play in tight spaces and recieve the ball to feet... not a big ask then 😅

I hate myself for saying it but someone in the mold of an Ings 💀 (I don't want to see Ings back)

Like these, and in a poor side too:

• Like 4

with what we still need to strengthen the options are getting less and less , Striker ???   Maybe taking Antonio isnt such a bad idea , calum wilsin would be my pick with RM style of play .  DM could we Loan Lavia from chelsea ? or Kamera would be a good solution . Goal keeper ......Ramsdale would be brilliant I cant think of another i woulld want tbh Maybe the one who was at Burnley or kasper schmiecal

I used to work in Housebuilding, and I remember that I had left site to go and pick something up from a Builders Merchant. I was driving along half-listening to Radio Solent when I heard the words "Saints sign Kevin Keegan"......I nearly drove off the road! I genuinely thought that I was dreaming. There will never, ever be a signing for Saints like it.....the current European Player of the Year. Magnificent era in Saints history.

• Like 18

I got hold of the Daily Echo newspaper before my dad came home from work and in the stop press it said "Kevin Keegan signs for Saints" . My dad arrived shortly after and I asked him what did Southampton want with an old goalkeeper? (Kevin Keelan being a goalkeeper from Norwich at the time). We dismissed it as a spelling mistake as it was so unbelievable and were then stunned when BBC news reported it. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Yeah exactly that. A habit of being in the right place at the right time.

I've not heard of him before but like what I see in this lad from the Strikers who would you get ? thread

Dallinga would do nicely.  Have a look at Sugawara's showreel in terms of delivery, and imagine BBD or Dallinga steaming into the box with AA supporting. Give us a real chance. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Very pleased about Downes but let's be honest that signing has just about got the squad to a similar level to the one that finished fourth in the Championship conceding 60+ goals.

Still a significant amount to do to get us competitive in this division. 

Not sure its even quite got us there, has it?

Defenders: Looks like KWP off and replaced by new lad, jury out but massive shoes to fill.  Taylor in at LB, that's an improvement on Manning.  Edwards and Wood in, both highly rated but how much will they actually start for us?  Especially if we keep hold of Janny B.

Midfield: Lost Brooks, lost Rothwell, lost Stu Armstrong. Added Lallana.  Big net loss.  Edit: Charly is back I suppose (maybe) so gives us numbers but remains to be seen if he stays, and if he does what he actually produces.

Striker: Che surely off (19 goals last term), Loch Ness Drogba still being talked about being eased back in, no other signings yet.

I still see us as a bit net down on where we finished the league.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

59 minutes ago, northam soul said:

I remember my favourite pigeon landing on my shoulder and unwrapping the message about Keegan. Then I scurried up the chimney with new found energy 

Edited by whelk
  • Haha 7

24 minutes ago, Saints4Prem said:

I got hold of the Daily Echo newspaper before my dad came home from work and in the stop press it said "Kevin Keegan signs for Saints" . My dad arrived shortly after and I asked him what did Southampton want with an old goalkeeper? (Kevin Keelan being a goalkeeper from Norwich at the time). We dismissed it as a spelling mistake as it was so unbelievable and were then stunned when BBC news reported it. 

There was a story at the time that Lawrie was on the phone to Brian Clough talking to him about his big signing. Cloughie asked LM who it was, and Lawrie said "KK". Cloughie also assumed Kevin Keelan and couldn't understand why Lawrie was so happy.

57 minutes ago, whelk said:

I remember my favourite pigeon landing on my shoulder and unwrapping the message about Keegan. Then I scurried up the chimney with new found energy 

You were lucky!!!

I had just flown into Southampton and was walking across to the office to sign the paperwork for the next flight and was met by the British Airways Senior Duty Officer. They handled Keegan's flight. I played golf with him and he was a ST holder at the Dell. He told me that KK was met by LM and they were going to the Potters Heron for a news conference that evening. KK's signing for Saints was to be announced. I arrived home in Southampton before the local news and saw the announcement. There was massive excitement.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Very pleased about Downes but let's be honest that signing has just about got the squad to a similar level to the one that finished fourth in the Championship conceding 60+ goals.

Still a significant amount to do to get us competitive in this division. 

Absolutely this and it ain't going to be easy.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, whelk said:

Having visited the oracle at Delphi, a few weeks before, I spent the day trying not to say "told you so" to all the unbelievers. I even got abuse when I had converted the prediction into a cryptic mosaic. Classical CoT. 🙂

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

That would be the type of signing I could see us making as a backup striker. 

Think he's more of a winger?  Pretty sure he played on the wing mostly for Charlton, he looked good whilst he was there though.  Palace fan at work was raving about him last summer and thought he could be the next big thing.

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Absolutely this and it ain't going to be easy.

Agree to a point but I think already we're much better than during our relegation season and our recruitment seems so much better.  We are losing deadwood and gaining some useful players already and there's still a fair amount if the window to go to finalise the squad.  For one I'm really positive.

3 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Think he's more of a winger?  Pretty sure he played on the wing mostly for Charlton, he looked good whilst he was there though.  Palace fan at work was raving about him last summer and thought he could be the next big thing.

Yes we could play him on the wing or as a backup striker. My point is he probably isn't a guaranteed starter. Would be good to have an Armstrong alternative at any rate. 

5 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Also we don't really have many (any) right sided wide players aside from Arma as all ours seem to prefer playing from the left. Rak-Sakyi is definitely a left footed winger who likes playing from the right.

That said, its Nixon who seems to be from the Crook school of transfer reporting (unless its about Blackburn or Burnley for some reason).

Edited by Dusic

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

this was muted in January we were trying to get him on loan then

Yeah, that's right, I remember his name coming up then. Also just read on a Palace site that he was offered a new contract about six weeks ago and there's been no movement on it. They didn't let him out on loan last season because they told him they wanted him to stay and be part of their PL squad - but then only put him on eight times, so I'm guessing that's a large reason why

5 minutes ago, waylander said:

Palace one - Jesurun

Are we sure about that? I know he is the one we were linked with in January, but today's rumour seems to stem solely from Nixon and he didn't specify in his tweet.

Lots of teams were in the running yesterday. We aren't listed here, but would be the only PL team

Sheffield United face stiff competition for Jesrun Rak Sakyi

On twitter:

"Southampton are making an enquiry for Palace Winger Rak-Sakyi. The winger had been cleared to speak to Sheffield United, QPR and Hull before the surprise development"

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
extra

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

Are we sure about that? I know he is the one we were linked with in January, but today's rumour seems to stem solely from Nixon and he didn't specify in his tweet.

Presumably you could find out by paying to get his info. Not that I would advocate doing so. 

19 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

If it's him he's spent much of last season with Nathan Jones so will want to move at least seventy miles away from London.  Win, win...

Not to mention he'll be ready for some real agressive, front footed football... God willing.

2 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Not to mention he'll be ready for some real agressive, front footed football... God willing.

With the greatest of respect, he'll have spent time being coached by one of the best managers in Europe.

19 hours ago, The Kraken said:

The posts (started by Saint Scott) were specifically about the squad pictures/profiles on the OS (https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/teams/mens-team) that were updated to show existing and new players. A potential indication of what we will have for next season. We know that Alcaraz and others are back at Staplewood, after all they are contracted to be. But they aren't included in the squad list. Obviously the squad list (photos) isn't gospel but its a clue as to who might still be here come September. Why do you think all of the loan players are missing from the list? Might just be an oversight, but seems a little odd.

1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

The posts (started by Saint Scott) were specifically about the squad pictures/profiles on the OS (https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/teams/mens-team) that were updated to show existing and new players. A potential indication of what we will have for next season. We know that Alcaraz and others are back at Staplewood, after all they are contracted to be. But they aren't included in the squad list. Obviously the squad list (photos) isn't gospel but its a clue as to who might still be here come September. Why do you think all of the loan players are missing from the list? Might just be an oversight, but seems a little odd.

I wouldn't pay much attention to that page, once they all have their pictures with the new kit it will be updated. It's certainly not where I look for gospel info, the media team update that as and when. Almost certainly just an oversight I'd have thought.

38 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

If it's him he's spent much of last season with Nathan Jones so will want to move at least seventy miles away from London.  Win, win...

He was back at Palace before Jones took over.

He got unlucky and got injured around the time Palace had injuries to Olise and Eze so missed a chance in the first team. 
Will see if Palace bloke at work knows what’s going on with him.