Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Lots of activity. That we still have to replace a lot of first team minutes from last season, let alone get back to the depth/quality of the team that went down, shows what an overhaul is required. SR doing well with the pennies so far too.

If we go 3 at the back, it reads to me as

McCarthy

KWP, THB, Bednarek, Stephens, Taylor

Downes, Smallbone, Aribo

AA, Stewart

If it's a back 4

McCarthy

KWP, THB, Bednarek, Taylor

Downes, Smallbone, Aribo

AA, Stewart, Edozie

Defence: While SR could strengthen anywhere, I could see that being the defence for next season. If KWP leaves, Sugawara steps in, with Bree a more defensive option.

Likewise, if Bednarek leaves, we've plenty of backups already bought.

It's an improvement on the team that went down, moving to more unproven if Sugawara/Wood come in.

Midfield: Downes coming in makes a massive difference. It was Charles before that happened, who needs more development. SR may consider Lallana to add the depth they need across some roles. They may also think an improved Aribo with Alcaraz enough for AMC. But a Stu replacement would be wise, and someone to compete with Downes, if RM doesn't fancy Charles, more of a must.

Needs some improvement/ depth compared to a team that went down. That had JWP in it. Smallbone's development, Aribo's return towards his best and Downes arrival all going in the right direction.

Attack: Currently missing a Fraser replacement. RM also wanted a Tella replacement, and we got Brooks in. Adams currently being replaced by unproven Stewart. AA might prefer being central, but does lots more from wide, if going 4-3-3. Edozie eeds more development, and Sule further back.  Lots of improvement needed to be at level, of the team coming down, and Mo played in that a lot. SF could bring in a whole front 3, giving Edozie room, Stewart competition and giving us more flexibility in formation.

The above would also need some departures so we don't have the squad bloat of before, and lower costs. ABK, Sule, Mara and Ounachu most likely, with a number of younger, fringe players possibly off on loan.

3 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Lots of activity. That we still have to replace a lot of first team minutes from last season, let alone get back to the depth/quality of the team that went down, shows what an overhaul is required. SR doing well with the pennies so far too.

If we go 3 at the back, it reads to me as

McCarthy

KWP, THB, Bednarek, Stephens, Taylor

Downes, Smallbone, Aribo

AA, Stewart

If it's a back 4

McCarthy

KWP, THB, Bednarek, Taylor

Downes, Smallbone, Aribo

AA, Stewart, Edozie

Defence: While SR could strengthen anywhere, I could see that being the defence for next season. If KWP leaves, Sugawara steps in, with Bree a more defensive option.

Likewise, if Bednarek leaves, we've plenty of backups already bought.

It's an improvement on the team that went down, moving to more unproven if Sugawara/Wood come in.

Midfield: Downes coming in makes a massive difference. It was Charles before that happened, who needs more development. SR may consider Lallana to add the depth they need across some roles. They may also think an improved Aribo with Alcaraz enough for AMC. But a Stu replacement would be wise, and someone to compete with Downes, if RM doesn't fancy Charles, more of a must.

Needs some improvement/ depth compared to a team that went down. That had JWP in it. Smallbone's development, Aribo's return towards his best and Downes arrival all going in the right direction.

Attack: Currently missing a Fraser replacement. RM also wanted a Tella replacement, and we got Brooks in. Adams currently being replaced by unproven Stewart. AA might prefer being central, but does lots more from wide, if going 4-3-3. Edozie eeds more development, and Sule further back.  Lots of improvement needed to be at level, of the team coming down, and Mo played in that a lot. SF could bring in a whole front 3, giving Edozie room, Stewart competition and giving us more flexibility in formation.

The above would also need some departures so we don't have the squad bloat of before, and lower costs. ABK, Sule, Mara and Ounachu most likely, with a number of younger, fringe players possibly off on loan.

I'm not at all convinced we would go with the line-up you have suggested - at least not in the longer term. I personally think it will be more like this:

GK: McCarthy or New Keeper

Back three: THB, Bednarek, ABK/Edwards

Wing-backs: KWP/Sugawara & Taylor

CDM: Downes

CM: Smallbone

AM/wingers: AA & Alcaraz/Edozie - depending on whether he goes for 2 wingers or 2 AMs.

CF: Stewart

I think Bednarek will keep his place for his experience, with Wood and Stephens as the deputies for him and THB.

In terms of purchases, I think there are possibly 3 priorities:

• Cover for Downes
  • Cover for Smallbone
  • Cover for Stewart
Edited by SaintJackoInHurworth

1 hour ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

I'm not at all convinced we would go with the line-up you have suggested - at least not in the longer term. I personally think it will be more like this:

AM/wingers: AA & Alcaraz/Edozie - depending on whether he goes for 2 wingers or 2 AMs.

I think Bednarek will keep his place for his experience, with Wood and Stephens as the deputies for him and THB.

• Cover for Downes
  • Cover for Smallbone
  • Cover for Stewart

Cover for Stewart? We need a first choice option up front.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

• Cover for Downes
  • Cover for Smallbone
  • Cover for Stewart

Sounds pretty underwhelming and hardly better than  team finishing fourth in the Championship 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

• Cover for Downes
  • Cover for Smallbone
  • Cover for Stewart

That team would do well not to finish bottom.

• Like 3

We were linked with Zirkzee at one point in last summer's transfer window? Had a stellar season at Bologna and just signed for Man United, I guess that's yet more signs that our scouting has been pretty good.  Have we ever signed anyone without any rumours surfacing until the deal is pretty much done? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

We were linked with Zirkzee at one point in last summer's transfer window? Had a stellar season at Bologna and just signed for Man United, I guess that's yet more signs that our scouting has been pretty good.  Have we ever signed anyone without any rumours surfacing until the deal is pretty much done? 

Ryan Fraser.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

• Cover for Downes
  • Cover for Smallbone
  • Cover for Stewart

Nope. For outfield players our priorities are.

A starting striker 

A starting AM 

A starting winger 

Then you could say we woild also like a Smallbone replacement and another striker for depth. 

New gk 

Sugawara Edwards THB Taylor 

Downes new cm 

Armstrong new lm/Lallana 

New AM 

New striker 

Edited by hypochondriac

Very pleased about Downes but let's be honest that signing has just about got the squad to a similar level to the one that finished fourth in the Championship conceding 60+ goals.

Still a significant amount to do to get us competitive in this division. 

• Like 17

4 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

• Cover for Downes
  • Cover for Smallbone
  • Cover for Stewart

Although we need much more, I think that's all we'll get. Fraser also seems likely although Newcastle may well need him themselves.

Bednarek staying and starting seems inevitable to me, although cashing in while we can and using ABK is a possibility although I'd prefer Bednarek by a mile. I can't see Edwards coming in from league 1 and starting in a back 4, that'd be a brave decision. 

17 minutes ago, egg said:

Although we need much more, I think that's all we'll get. Fraser also seems likely although Newcastle may well need him themselves.

Bednarek staying and starting seems inevitable to me, although cashing in while we can and using ABK is a possibility although I'd prefer Bednarek by a mile. I can't see Edwards coming in from league 1 and starting in a back 4, that'd be a brave decision. 

Come on. We are obviously going to sign a half decent AM and striker. We aren't getting backups for Stewart and Smallbone instead. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Come on. We are obviously going to sign a half decent AM and striker. We aren't getting backups for Stewart and Smallbone instead. 

Indeed; why would be bring in cover? The idea is to enhance what we have existingly.

Strangely enough ...many of you (above) have selected squads that clearly seem to omit... Adam Lallana.

YES... we know he's 36, and was a free transfer and is only on a one year deal (so far), and I'm sure he's on a good salary, but I don't

expect to see him cheering the young / new players on from the bench all season, whilst occasionally getting a 10 minute sub. appearance.

I think RM is serious about using him as often as possible, and perhaps frequently as a starting player ....at least for 60 minutes, or more.

The very idea of simply ignoring him, in favour of  newly-signed, and some lower league players with no experience of the Prem. is simply ridiculous.

I think I may have hit a few raw nerves there, and I expect a number of specific individuals come back with acidic comments, but common sense says

we didn't get him back " for old time's sake" , and we may well see him as a regular for the foreseeable future whilst he can still DAJFU. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

You'd hope so. I would too. We've seemingly missed our top 3 striker choice. Last time we spent big ish on an apparently half decent striker we got Mara. Let's see what happens. 

7 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

https://x.com/J_Tanswell/status/1813110243372724507?t=LU0M1MaNzbuFfHToSsiNXw&s=19

Charly has expressed his desire to stay at St Mary's this summer.

This is interesting. The question is if Martin wants him. I’m all for keeping him, offers us something different and with no Stu (or replacement so far) it makes sense to keep. 

However, if Martin can’t trust him in his system, he’s definitely one that can raise funds to buy others.

9 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

This is interesting. The question is if Martin wants him. I’m all for keeping him, offers us something different and with no Stu (or replacement so far) it makes sense to keep. 

However, if Martin can’t trust him in his system, he’s definitely one that can raise funds to buy others.

I don't trust Charly in a midfield 8 role... But I think he would de pretty effective in that second striker Arma role, So I wonder during pre season whether he will be played there.. would offer good competition for Arma.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I don't trust Charly in a midfield 8 role... But I think he would de pretty effective in that second striker Arma role, So I wonder during pre season whether he will be played there.. would offer good competition for Arma.

I think playing 5 at the back does offer alternative positions for Charly. He is a player who is always looking to try something and look forward, however the inverse to this is that he has a tenancy to give the ball away more than other players. He was most effective when playing just off the front where giving the ball when trying something ambitious isn't such an issue, so I agree with you that playing as part of a front two could work. 

I'm still not totally convinced by him, but at 21 years old he needs to be given time to evolve in the right position and environment; he certainly has strong potential.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

We were linked with Zirkzee at one point in last summer's transfer window? Had a stellar season at Bologna and just signed for Man United, I guess that's yet more signs that our scouting has been pretty good.

We might also have scouted Mbappe for all that it matters. All well and good spotting the players that will be snapped up by the big clubs, we need to find those that are likely to come to St Mary's.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, egg said:

You'd hope so. I would too. We've seemingly missed our top 3 striker choice. Last time we spent big ish on an apparently half decent striker we got Mara. Let's see what happens. 

What evidence is there that we've seemingly missed our top 3 striker choices? Delap I'll give you but who else? 

14 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I a not sure RM trusts him in midfield either. Unless someone makes a significant bid, he's here for a lot of years, so we need to find a way to utilise him. Playing off the striker might be an option.

34 minutes ago, egg said:

Stewart. Your point still stands.

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

We might also have scouted Mbappe for all that it matters. All well and good spotting the players that will be snapped up by the big clubs, we need to find those that are likely to come to St Mary's.

I think with our current squad it is unlikely many would want to come here

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

I a not sure RM trusts him in midfield either. Unless someone makes a significant bid, he's here for a lot of years, so we need to find a way to utilise him. Playing off the striker might be an option.

Was it the case that Martin didn't want Alcaraz or that he wasn't guaranteed a starting place and Juventus came in for him which was too good of an opportunity to turn down? I don't know but whatever it was he was undoubtedly a better option than the ones we bought in January. 

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What evidence is there that we've seemingly missed our top 3 striker choices? Delap I'll give you but who else? 

Delap was said to be our 3rd choice. You don't move to your 3rd pick if the 1st and 2nd are still available. 

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Stewart. Your point still stands.

I disregarded him as he was championship player for that league. Prior to that, Mara was felt to be half decent, but turned out to be fully shit. 

🚨 Southampton winger Kamaldeen Sulemana is weighing up his future at the club amid interest from teams on the continent, with Roma, Ajax & Nice mooted as possibilities #saintsfc @TheAthleticFC

trouble is they will offer buttons not the 20m we will want

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Very pleased about Downes but let's be honest that signing has just about got the squad to a similar level to the one that finished fourth in the Championship conceding 60+ goals.

Still a significant amount to do to get us competitive in this division. 

Very much this, and you would hope that the coaching team and board at Saints are well aware.  Squad depth June into July, competitive spine July into August.  The word hope in first sentence doing a lot of the heavy lifting there.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

https://x.com/J_Tanswell/status/1813110243372724507?t=LU0M1MaNzbuFfHToSsiNXw&s=19

Charly has expressed his desire to stay at St Mary's this summer.

I reckon we'd be crazy not to give Charly a chance rather than selling him. Just watched his 'Welcome to Juventus' video which includes clips from his games for us - if he was someone we were considering signing most of us would be praying we got him in. The guy has undoubted talent and could be great for us this season. He's spent 5 months at Juventus and will have learned a lot. He's our player so let's get the best out of him and I reckon he'd also learn a lot from Adam Lallana.

• Like 15

Like every saints fan I find the KS situation frustrating. 

There’s a player in there. He has Mbappe-like acceleration. But that seems to be it so far. 

Every match I saw him last season he looked like he was playing with weights around his ankles. Our PB tactics basically shackled him and he looked awful. It afflicted SE to a an extent also. 

RF was the only winger with the ability ( I think it’s mostly football intelligence and maturity) to adapt his game to the way RM wants team to play. He’s not as technically or physically gifted as the other two but was miles more impactful. 

KS is currently not a starter nor even an impact sub at present. Unless something changes in pre season he is on the For Sale list imo. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

Like every saints fan I find the KS situation frustrating. 

There’s a player in there. He has Mbappe-like acceleration. But that seems to be it so far. 

Every match I saw him last season he looked like he was playing with weights around his ankles. Our PB tactics basically shackled him and he looked awful. It afflicted SE to a an extent also. 

RF was the only winger with the ability ( I think it’s mostly football intelligence and maturity) to adapt his game to the way RM wants team to play. He’s not as technically or physically gifted as the other two but was miles more impactful. 

KS is currently not a starter nor even an impact sub at present. Unless something changes in pre season he is on the For Sale list imo. 

nah, at the moment he is like Steve De Ridder, fans think he's being held back because he's really quick but he has done nothing to suggest he's got what it takes. It might change and he might suddenly burst into life at he looks more like yet another player who gets hyped but because they've got pace and not a lot else.

55 minutes ago, saintant said:

I reckon we'd be crazy not to give Charly a chance rather than selling him. Just watched his 'Welcome to Juventus' video which includes clips from his games for us - if he was someone we were considering signing most of us would be praying we got him in. The guy has undoubted talent and could be great for us this season. He's spent 5 months at Juventus and will have learned a lot. He's our player so let's get the best out of him and I reckon he'd also learn a lot from Adam Lallana.

• Like 3

The point about Charley learning English is well made. In fact it’s make or break for his Saints career. 
As others have already mentioned he should be extremely willing and able to learn much from AL - but not if there’s no interest on his part in mastering the language sufficiently - which I understand is/was RM’s main point of frustration with him, talent unquestioned. 

Sky Sports saying Saints are still planning to sign an attacking midfielder and a striker, with interest in Armando Broja understood to be accurate

I mean... of course, but yeah

Edited by CSA96

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

Sky Sports saying Saints are still planning to sign an attacking midfielder and a striker, with interest in Armando Broja understood to be accurate

Fucking hope not

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

Kevin Keegan was kept off the radar. No rumours, just an announcement.

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨 Southampton winger Kamaldeen Sulemana is weighing up his future at the club amid interest from teams on the continent, with Roma, Ajax & Nice mooted as possibilities #saintsfc @TheAthleticFC

trouble is they will offer buttons not the 20m we will want

Or a loan with an option to buy. In which case he'll be back here next summer.

12 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

I'd take him on loan. Certainly not to buy though with what they were wanting for him. 

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd take him on loan. Certainly not to buy though with what they were wanting for him. 

Yeah, I think this is where I land too. Loan with some buying conditions factored in, based on goals etc, would make sense

• Like 1

Yes I agree Broja on loan is low risk. We should certainly pursue this avenue! 

As for winger option I would go for Jack Clarke.

Cover for downes

And a GK then it's job done 

• Like 1