Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

22 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

I'm confused between who we want, who we might get and who we've actually got. Can someone just list who we have signed for sure?

2 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

Thanks for all this music stuff but who have we actually signed this summer?

https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/teams/mens-team

1 July 2024 DF England Taylor Harwood-Bellis England Manchester City Undisclosed [1][2]
1 July 2024 MF England Adam Lallana England Brighton & Hove Albion Free transfer [3]
1 July 2024 DF England Charlie Taylor England Burnley Free transfer [4]
3 July 2024 DF England Ronnie Edwards England Peterborough United Undisclosed [5]
5 July 2024 DF England Nathan Wood Wales Swansea City Undisclosed [6]
14 July 2024 DF Japan Yukinari Sugawara Netherlands AZ Alkmaar Undisclosed [7]
12 March 2025 FW Japan Rento Takaoka Japan Nissho Gakuen High School Undisclosed [8]
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

1 July 2024 DF England Taylor Harwood-Bellis England Manchester City Undisclosed [1][2]
1 July 2024 MF England Adam Lallana England Brighton & Hove Albion Free transfer [3]
3 July 2024 DF England Ronnie Edwards England Peterborough United Undisclosed [5]
12 March 2025 FW Japan Rento Takaoka Japan Nissho Gakuen High School Undisclosed [8]

Thanks, that's beautiful, so clear. Looks like strong emphasis on defence. A GK would give me confidence

14 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

Thanks, that's beautiful, so clear. Looks like strong emphasis on defence. A GK would give me confidence

we look very light everywhere else though. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

we look very light everywhere else though. 

Horrifically short of PL goalscoring/creative quality in attacking areas - first run of games probably the kindest of the season too...

Downes incoming though...

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 14

Imagine we have agreed on a fee for KWP too then, as ultimately the discussion is over the amount to be paid to go with these two. Irrelevant on the individual prices and wouldn’t be surprised if both higher than expected to benefit FFP

• Like 3

1 minute ago, EBS1980 said:

Imagine we have agreed on a fee for KWP too then, as ultimately the discussion is over the amount to be paid to go with these two. Irrelevant on the individual prices and wouldn’t be surprised if both higher than expected to benefit FFP

Suga may have been the catalyst. We've got him in, we're allowing KWP to leave and then West Ham are happy to deal with us for Downes.

• Like 2

Also MLG, you virtually disappear from the radar during our championship season except for occasional comments.

But now we are back in premier league your posting like you've never been away.

I think you are out first glory supporter so congrats :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 16

Good to get Downes done early, although I'm sure he'd have been fine turning up the day before the season and being plugged into midfield. 

McCarthy
Sugawara - THB - Bednarek - Edwards - Taylor/Fraser
Smallbone - Downes - Lallana/Aribo
Armstrong - Stewart

What we'd be looking like at the moment for the opening day. Hoping (praying) for another GK, CM and ST before it's done. Obviously on the assumption that KWP is gone, but would be a nice surprise to have him slot in on the left!

• Like 2

Interested to see if there's a bit more detail from the designated Saints/Hammers reporters on either end, alongside Sky's report that a deal is agreed

3 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Good to get Downes done early, although I'm sure he'd have been fine turning up the day before the season and being plugged into midfield. 

McCarthy
Armstrong - Stewart

What we'd be looking like at the moment for the opening day. Hoping (praying) for another GK, CM and ST before it's done. Obviously on the assumption that KWP is gone, but would be a nice surprise to have him slot in on the left!

Obviously will make more signings but that team would be relegated with less than 20pts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Obviously will make more signings but that team would be relegated with less than 20pts.

Definitely looks rough.

So far we'll have spent about £60m to have a team no better than the one who came 4th in the Championship.

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Definitely looks rough.

So far we'll have spent about £50m to have a team no better than the one who came 4th in the Championship.

Stronger at left back, stronger defensively in squad

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Also MLG, you virtually disappear from the radar during our championship season except for occasional comments.

But now we are back in premier league your posting like you've never been away.

I think you are out first glory supporter so congrats :lol:

You don’t remember the way he was treated on here before he took time out then?

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

My worry is that Bednarek with just a year left on his contract will be off this summer unless he signs a new contract in the next week or so.  I'd be OK with THB and Jan as the starting partnership at centre back for the Premier League but I am not so sure about any of the other combinations.  

I expect ABK to leave as well - but even if he stays he is not the answer.

But I will say we are building a great team for a Championship promotion push next season if we do get relegated 🙂

The Flynn Downes news is more than welcome - even if it is a swap for KWP - but we need to make some statement signings (i.e. first team starters) in the next week or so. Ideally a Striker, Winger, Attacking Midfielder and a Goalkeeper.

I worry that we just don't have the money needed  though given the financial fair play rules and our losses.

1 minute ago, DT said:

I wonder if this partially explains why his goalkeeper mate Ramsdale coming to us might be a possibility (re rumours yesterday) 

Think his (Ramsdales) mate is/was Brooks 

Edited by santolijador
clarity
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

A bit more than I hoped we'd pay. Let's hope if they sign KWP we get a fair price.

Based purely on the contract situation if we get anywhere near what we are paying for Downes it’ll be great work.

From The Athletic's correspondent for West Ham, Roshane Thomas:

Southampton have agreed a deal worth up to £18million with West Ham United for midfielder Flynn Downes.

The Athletic reported Southampton were in discussions with West Ham over a deal for Downes.

Full-back Kyle Walker-Peters had been in line to move in the opposite direction, but the deal for Downes is a straight fee and Walker-Peters is not involved. The Southampton defender remains a player under consideration for West Ham this summer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

From The Athletic's correspondent for West Ham, Roshane Thomas:

Southampton have agreed a deal worth up to £18million with West Ham United for midfielder Flynn Downes.

The Athletic reported Southampton were in discussions with West Ham over a deal for Downes.

Full-back Kyle Walker-Peters had been in line to move in the opposite direction, but the deal for Downes is a straight fee and Walker-Peters is not involved. The Southampton defender remains a player under consideration for West Ham this summer.

Swaps don't help either team in relation to FFP. Need money going in and out so that's why a swap was never going to happen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Honestly can't see any world where we sign Sugawara and keep KWP.  Would imagine wherever KWP is going it's virtually done.  Good news on Downes and if it's rising to 18M then that's probably about right.

Midfield still looks pretty lightweight to me so would be nice to get another in soon.

• Like 1

Another gk is a must. I'd quite like another defender who could play across the back but certainly a lb unless Martin think Meghoma or the other one are up to it. Midfield we need a Smallbone replacement or at least competition and we need a decent attacking midfield player and a striker or two. Another five or six signings for me once Downes is in. 

2 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Ramsdale on loan, Camara and a striker would be perfect

Agreed, although I understand Camara to be more of a defensive midfielder, so would also like a more creative type to replace Stu and Brooks. I don't think that Alcaraz (or ABK) will stay, so perhaps that can fund some of this.

1 minute ago, WALK DMC said:

Agreed, although I understand Camara to be more of a defensive midfielder, so would also like a more creative type to replace Stu and Brooks. I don't think that Alcaraz (or ABK) will stay, so perhaps that can fund some of this.

Yep. Maybe the one from Coventry out of contract? Is he an AM? Or the Sunderland player though isn't he a winger? 

https://sportwitness.co.uk/martin-braithwaite-everton-southampton-leicester/

I would not be against this purely based on watching him play for Barcelona. I was staggered when Barca signed him, it just wasn't a Barca signing, however Braithwaite gave his absolute all for Barcelona when he played and scored some very important goals. My one reservation is La Liga is not the Premiership and he won't get the time and space playing in La Liga gives you.

12 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

I would not be against this purely based on watching him play for Barcelona. I was staggered when Barca signed him, it just wasn't a Barca signing, however Braithwaite gave his absolute all for Barcelona when he played and scored some very important goals. My one reservation is La Liga is not the Premiership and he won't get the time and space playing in La Liga gives you.

You'd have to think if we got him on a free that he'd be in addition to another striker. If that's the case then could be a smart signing. 

27 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

Charly only signed a new 5 year contract in October of last year so I definitely think he is in our long term planning. Unless a bigger club comes in and pays us what we want for him, I see him staying. And I'd be glad of that too, because I like him and I think he offers us something we don't otherwise have in the squad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

I can see the pattern. We’re only signing players with red and white flags. 

So Matt O’Riley definitely still in contention and I guess Mamardashvili will have to do in goal. 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

La Liga players didn't do too badly last night...

1 hour ago, charliemiller said:

Im sure i saw a tweet saying Benderak has gone on a free abroad 

that was from a fake account Farbizio Romano as opposed to Fabrizio Roman saying he gone to some Polish club

50 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

As a backup he’s maybe worth a shout, but a 33 year old who has been playing in the Spanish second division doesn’t strike me as a difference maker.

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Definitely looks rough.

So far we'll have spent about £60m to have a team no better than the one who came 4th in the Championship.

TBF, £40m of that is to keep people from last year.

So assume this is the situation so far:

Keepers....McCarthy (& Stone!!)/Lumley/Baz
RB.............Sugawara/Bree
LB.............Taylor/Manning
DM............Downes (?)/Charles
AM............Smallbone/Aribo/Lallana
CD............THB/Stephens/Wood
CD............Bednerak (if he stays)/ Edwards
RW...........Armstrong
CF.............Stewart/Mara
LW.............Edioze

So based on the above, a squad of 21 p
lus three youngsters ie SAA,/Meghoma/Dibling if not sent out on loan along with Bragg.. plus Larios.

Uncertainties include KWP/ABK/Tall Paul/Sulemana/Alcaraz.

In that squad we would only have one naturally left footed player (at left back) so suggest this need to be addressed.

Assuming all the five uncertainties go, apart from ABK their positions need to be replaced.

Possibly the French lad in as a midfield option and possibly Fraser to add width (although I would only see the Wee Man as a squad player)

The desperate need is for a decent central striker, as we all know.

Btw whatever happened to the Brentford midfield man?

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

McCarthy
Armstrong - Stewart

You seriously think starting XI for first game back in the PL won't include Stephens?