Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

47 minutes ago, JRM said:

You are right of course, He's got to be trolling for bites talking rubbish like that, McCarthy won player of the season and was capped for England plus I think our play off success is partly thanks to him, in no world does Baz rank above him. 

He won player of the season in a year when everyone was terrible and he played well for half a season. This was followed by 45 minutes in an England shirt for a friendly. He was once alright for six months, six years ago. I don't think he's a better keeper, the majority of his time here people have been desperate for him to be replaced. 

• Like 2

I believe the Downes transfer is taking long than we would hope because of the fact WHU want KWP from us. It’s about each club trying to maximise their players value and minimise the value of who they want. 

I believe if only one of the transfers was in place it would have happened by now.

25 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Fair play to them, they’re giving it a good bash and think they’ve got a great chance of staying up. 

They've spent 20m on Delap who is arguably worse than Moore or Hirst.

20m on Hutchinson who is a quick flair player who has no prem experience or proven ability at that level 

15m on a Keeper who will be no different to Hladcky 

15m on a potebtislly good centre back, no quibbles there. But still not great enough to get near Championship autos. 

Let's see how they address Morsy Lluongo etc who need completely revamping. If they get two 20m CMs in, then I'd be more confident in them.

As it stands they'll be:

New Gk

Davis who cant defend 

Burgess

Greaves

Tuanzebe

Morsy 

Luiongo

Hutchinson 

Chaplin??

Burns??

Delap

Doesn't really feel more than an upper Championship side 50m quid later, although I know hard work and organisation goes a long way.

Edited by chownie20
  • Like 2

Just now, Fabrice29 said:

I see everyone is going through the "looking longingly at random PL side transfer activity" stage of pre season now. 

Yep, as if we haven't signed more players than most teams in the league. Yes, still plenty to do and we've signed more squad fillers than starters so far, but it's a good start and we're ahead of where we'd ordinarily be

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chownie20 said:

They've spent 20m on Delap who is arguably worse than Moore or Hirst.

20m on Hutchinson who is a quick flair player who has no prem experience or proven ability at that level 

15m on a Keeper who will be no different to Hladcky 

15m on a potebtislly good centre back, no quibbles there. But still not great enough to get near Championship autos. 

Let's see how they address Morsy Lluongo etc who need completely revamping. If they get two 20m CMs in, then I'd be more confident in them.

As it stands they'll be:

New Gk

Davis who cant defend 

Burgess

Greaves

Tuanzebe

Morsy 

Luiongo

Hutchinson 

Chaplin??

Burns??

Delap

Doesn't really feel more than an upper Championship side 50m quid later, although I know hard work and organisation goes a long way.

I do enjoy a good old fashioned dismissal of players as "not PL proven" and even more so this season when people seem oblivious to the fact that our squad is littered with players yet to prove themselves at PL level.

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

Yep, as if we haven't signed more players than most teams in the league. Yes, still plenty to do and we've signed more squad fillers than starters so far, but it's a good start and we're ahead of where we'd ordinarily be

All those players signed, but are still weaker than last year (with KWP to go as well).

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

All those players signed, but are still weaker than last year (with KWP to go as well).

Not even at the first friendly of preseason, which is only an XI game against Eastleigh, in fairness - it is a bit much

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I see everyone is going through the "looking longingly at random PL side transfer activity" stage of pre season now. 

I just want a reasonably good goalkeeper. It's not much to ask. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

My guess the approach of throwing money and wages at man city untried kids is part of the reason why talented academy kids are asking for similar.

Probably worth remembering that even before joining us those untried City kids were playing at levels that were well above any of our academy players were. 

11 hours ago, Mozz said:

I think the Turkish top flight is classified as “band 2” in the work permit criteria whereas the J-League is “band 5”. As such a year in Turkey with regular minutes would probably see him get enough points to qualify.

.    C  an   O  nly   T  ell you that anything TURKISH certainly will not be top flight, quite the opposite.

• Confused 1

On 12/07/2024 at 11:20, goodymatt said:

ABK has now had his shoulder surgery. Managing it through natural recovery/exercises all started when he wanted to make the German national team squad for the World Cup and it has plagued him since. You would hope that a recurrence of the shoulder injury popping back out easily should be a thing of the past now.

The negatives are he’s not played much footy for a while and noises through Fabrizio Romano suggest he wants a new challenge. If we could motivate him to stay, I think he could play a big role. We all saw his raw attributes and it’s only really been his shoulder troubles that have kept him from progressing. 

Due to his interest in moving on and how that sale could go in full into the FFP tracker, I would expect he will inevitably leave us. 

Don't know why he'd want a 'new challenge'. He's hardly risen to the previous one of actually establishing himself as our first choice CB

• Like 5

9 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Not even at the first friendly of preseason, which is only an XI game against Eastleigh, in fairness - it is a bit much

Of course it’s early and will reserve judgement until the end of the window. I just don’t agree (at this stage) with people saying we’ve had a good window so far, when we’re weaker than last year, still missing most of a spine and have lost out to Ipswich on a least one of our main targets.

• Like 1

On 12/07/2024 at 07:28,  Harry_SFC said: 

Especially given our fixtures over the first month or so - potential winnable games that we can't afford to waste. 

On 12/07/2024 at 08:32,  Patches O Houlihan said: 

So would you rather we followed up Newcastle away, with Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Villa away, so that we can afford to make a slow start?!

On 12/07/2024 at 09:09, Turkish said:

It’s actually the best time to play those teams 

But you also end up in a position of being on zero points going into match day 6 - so even if you're playing Ipswich at home there is massive pressure on the players; a few missed passes and after 15 mins St Mary's has the same toxic atmosphere that it had for the last few prem seasons. We lose, its October, and we're still on 0 points. All the good players tell their agents they want out in the January window...

The reality is that we are far better with a season where all the 'miracle win' games are scattered evenly alongside the winnable ones so that you can balance momentum and positivity against the likelihood that we're going to lose maybe 50% of games. It's actually something that I'm pleased about; our fixture list seems to be fairly evenly spread with the exception of the last few games being particularly tough. 

Anybody who's had much practical experience of negotiation knows that it is all about power - the reality but also the perception. Without overwhelming power in the market we will play the same transfer game as everyone else. Which means that 'easy' transfers get done first, and the competitive transfers for the players we really want (that everyone else is interested too) take a long time to play out.

The reality is that if we really were able to get all our transfer business done by the 3rd week of July allowing the whole squad to train together for a month before the season starts, yes we would go quite well for the first few games, BUT everyone would be moaning when they see all the cut price last minute sales and loans that happen in the last 2 weeks of the window and that we don't have the financial room to take advantage of.

As with so much of life you can't have your cake and eat it.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

You're right , but the problem is the fee that almost every club will ask... even for " a reasonably good " keeper. 

Agree, so let's not waste money on " squad fillers " ( potential next seasons dead wood) and prioritize building a decent first team. Can always use the youngsters as fillers if necessary.

1 hour ago, westmidlandsaint said:

I see The Sun has us linked to Ramsdale. Shame it's the sun as probably just lazy journalism 

Valued at £42m by Arsenal. Seems a bit unlikely, unless there is a missing decimal point. 

Seems he has no takers but Arsenal are looking to make a profit https://paininthearsenal.com/posts/aaron-ramsdale-complicated-situation-arsenal-explained

Edited by VectisSaint
Added link to Ramsdale article

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨 Southampton are weighing up a move for Arsenal goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale - and would favour a loan transfer given the value of the England international #saintsfc @TheSunFootball

‘Would favour’ aka could only conceivably afford.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Valued at £42m by Arsenal. Seems a bit unlikely, unless there is a missing decimal point. 

I was going to say that, even if we had the money, Ramsdale ain't moving from Arsenal to us he'd have better options, but (assuming he wants to start) who are they?

A lot of sides seem to have their first choice settled. Maybe we have too though.

Arsenal can value him at whatever they like. He's 2/3 of the way through a signing that cost them £28m (1st site I looked at). A player who doesn't want to be there and who isn't going to start. Arsenal can take a lot less, and still make a profit on the balance sheet.

As it stands, the only other viable English option for Ramsdale I can see is Nottingham Forest. Their GK's are Mats Sells and Matt Turner. They've sold one of their GK's to Newcastle, so they will almost certainly be in the market for one.

Other than that all other clubs seem pretty settled with their first choice GK's. Only questions marks are Bournemouth if Neto moves on, or Wolves if Jose Sa heads off to Saudi. If Bournemouth come into the market for a GK then it's game over as far as Ramsdale is concerned.

1 minute ago, miserableoldgit said:

Wasn't it Ramsdale messing around/celebrating with our players at Wembley, dressed as Hagrid........or did I imagine that?

Yeah he was, but it was just a Brooks/Ramsdale bromance thing - they've done it since their Bournemouth days, wasn't related to us as a club at all.

I’ve seen it suggested in a couple of places that we have a worse squad now than the one at the end of last season. Really? I don’t see that, and yet we know there are further purchases and loans still to happen, though equally, players to leave. In summary:

Keepers - weaker. Bazunu is injured, and no one brought in.

Defenders - we moved on two central defenders out on loan and brought in two squad players who might develop. Bella Kotchup is back training, for now, though we might have to sell Bednarek. Until any sale, we are stronger overall in the middle. In terms of full backs, we have brought in two, plus got the use of Larios, though will almost certainly sell Kyle. However, I still think we are stronger.

Midfield - we have lost Brooks, Armstrong and Rothwell, and brought in Lallana. The Downes position is unclear. Dibling, if he doesn’t go out on loan, should be more of an asset. However, even presuming we acquire Downes, that is significantly weaker.

Forwards - presuming we lose Adams, but have a fit Stewart, though he is injury prone and stepping up significantly, that cannot be judged as stronger. Ballard going out on loan surprised me. Armstrong in the EPL is a risk. Therefore, massively weaker, as things stand.

In conclusion, in three of the four areas I’d conclude we are weaker, as things stand. However, Downes, an additional midfielder and another forward addresses the balance, whilst getting anything positive from Alcaraz, Salamana or Tall Paul would also help, though I doubt there will be anything except sales revenue from two of these. And of course, our new additions are pretty much unknown quantities. With over a month to go, before the window closes, though, I’m very comfortable with how the squad looks. If there are no changes by August, it will be a very different story.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

As it stands, the only other viable English option for Ramsdale I can see is Nottingham Forest. Their GK's are Mats Sells and Matt Turner. They've sold one of their GK's to Newcastle, so they will almost certainly be in the market for one.

Other than that all other clubs seem pretty settled with their first choice GK's. Only questions marks are Bournemouth if Neto moves on, or Wolves if Jose Sa heads off to Saudi. If Bournemouth come into the market for a GK then it's game over as far as Ramsdale is concerned.

Forest just signed Carlos Miguel.

19 minutes ago, Pwoite said:

I’ve seen it suggested in a couple of places that we have a worse squad now than the one at the end of last season. Really? I don’t see that, and yet we know there are further purchases and loans still to happen, though equally, players to leave. In summary:

Keepers - weaker. Bazunu is injured, and no one brought in.

Defenders - we moved on two central defenders out on loan and brought in two squad players who might develop. Bella Kotchup is back training, for now, though we might have to sell Bednarek. Until any sale, we are stronger overall in the middle. In terms of full backs, we have brought in two, plus got the use of Larios, though will almost certainly sell Kyle. However, I still think we are stronger.

Midfield - we have lost Brooks, Armstrong and Rothwell, and brought in Lallana. The Downes position is unclear. Dibling, if he doesn’t go out on loan, should be more of an asset. However, even presuming we acquire Downes, that is significantly weaker.

Forwards - presuming we lose Adams, but have a fit Stewart, though he is injury prone and stepping up significantly, that cannot be judged as stronger. Ballard going out on loan surprised me. Armstrong in the EPL is a risk. Therefore, massively weaker, as things stand.

In conclusion, in three of the four areas I’d conclude we are weaker, as things stand. However, Downes, an additional midfielder and another forward addresses the balance, whilst getting anything positive from Alcaraz, Salamana or Tall Paul would also help, though I doubt there will be anything except sales revenue from two of these. And of course, our new additions are pretty much unknown quantities. With over a month to go, before the window closes, though, I’m very comfortable with how the squad looks. If there are no changes by August, it will be a very different story.

You don’t think the squad is weaker, but then go on to say 3 out of 4 areas are weaker..

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Viking Saint said:

Don't know why he'd want a 'new challenge'. He's hardly risen to the previous one of actually establishing himself as our first choice CB

Because that’s what egos do. We’ve all worked with some kn*bhead who was sh*t at his job but also thought it was beneath him and he needed to move on upwards.

1 minute ago, miserableoldgit said:

Do we wish that we were Forest now? Getting difficult to keep up.....

the point is, they (Forest) aren't looking to bring in Ramsdale, so that's one less option for him in the UK.

42 minutes ago, Chez said:

Forest just signed Carlos Miguel.

Ah yes of course, forgot that one.

Doesn't leave any viable options for Ramsdale if he wants to play first choice football in England.

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

Nixon reporting that Torino and Wolves want Che.

Probably best for both sides new start. 

Wolves have wanted him for a year, yet clearly not wanted him that badly that they’ve signed him yet. Hope he’s confirmed as gone sooner rather than later.

Yeah, no benefit to us now with Che sticking around. He's already missed two weeks of pre-season due to his dallying, so just let another club take him.

Wolves don't want him enough, they could have got him for a couple of mill in the summer and dallied. Now they can get him for £0 and they're still dallying. I think other clubs see the enormous limitations in his game that we've all seen for years. And maybe his wage demands are simply not correlating with his ability.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, no benefit to us now with Che sticking around. He's already missed two weeks of pre-season due to his dallying, so just let another club take him.

Wolves don't want him enough, they could have got him for a couple of mill in the summer and dallied. Now they can get him for £0 and they're still dallying. I think other clubs see the enormous limitations in his game that we've all seen for years. And maybe his wage demands are simply not correlating with his ability.

Interesting Wolves "dally" while we on the other hand sensibly take our time.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Nixon reporting that Torino and Wolves want Che.

Probably best for both sides new start. 

Fair enough if he wants to go to wolves but why would he turn down the premier league?