Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

45 minutes ago, Chez said:

if they are worth it, pay them, if not, show them the door. 

I am not sure I understand us speculating £10m-£15m on the likes of Larios and Charles, but not speculating on this lad. It is different I suppose and I guess the club has done the maths. Really dissappointing to have found top talent and see it slip through our fingers.

I guess it all depends on what he is after, what if he wants £15k a week, should we just give him it? What then about the rest of the youth team, they all come asking for more. Budget totally gone

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chez said:

if they are worth it, pay them, if not, show them the door. 

I am not sure I understand us speculating £10m-£15m on the likes of Larios and Charles, but not speculating on this lad. It is different I suppose and I guess the club has done the maths. Really dissappointing to have found top talent and see it slip through our fingers.

My guess the approach of throwing money and wages at man city untried kids is part of the reason why talented academy kids are asking for similar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EBS1980 said:

I guess it all depends on what he is after, what if he wants £15k a week, should we just give him it? What then about the rest of the youth team, they all come asking for more. Budget totally gone

If he'll get that elsewhere, yes. If other kids are worth it, then yes. If others aren't, no. 6 decent kids on £15kpw is £4.5m a year. If one of those kids proves good enough to sign for a mid championship team we'll get double that. 

It's stupid business not to reward the best talent. 

• Like 2

Just now, Baird of the land said:

My guess the approach of throwing money and wages at man city untried kids is part of the reason why talented academy kids are asking for similar.

Larios cost us about £4/6Million.

Where are you getting 10/15 Jesus.

1 hour ago, Mozz said:

I think the Turkish top flight is classified as “band 2” in the work permit criteria whereas the J-League is “band 5”. As such a year in Turkey with regular minutes would probably see him get enough points to qualify.

Excellent, back next summer to make a real impact in the Championship.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Why should the market for youth players be different to adults? If a lesser player comes along afterwards asking for the same money they can either accept what we think they are worth or move on. Having different pay for different abilities is common in most jobs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, suewhistle said:

Why should the market for youth players be different to adults? If a lesser player comes along afterwards asking for the same money they can either accept what we think they are worth or move on. Having different pay for different abilities is common in most jobs.

The suggestion is that's a change of policy, not that the lad isn't good enough. It's a simple point - pay players a market rate or we won't get or keep them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sambosa75 said:

Just read we’ve been linked to Dubravka at Newcastle.  Yes please.  Massive upgrade.

Would have been a good signing 3 or 4 years ago. 

Was shite last season hence being replaced even as backup.

2 hours ago, sambosa75 said:

Just read we’ve been linked to Dubravka at Newcastle.  Yes please.  Massive upgrade.

According to the BBC, "Lyon are close to signing Southampton's 16-year-old forward Alejandro Gomes Rodriguez."

I wonder why the club would sell off such young talent?  Maybe he is homesick....?

3 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

https://x.com/Cal1878/status/1728113472469074072?t=Q47jiYHLx6JkL3vJmrvYuw&s=19p

Info on our potential second Japanese signing.

Yeah, so actually he’s signed for Goztepe in reality because the chances of him getting into a Saints EPL team are minimal. Hang on, he’ll be ‘oven ready’ for the Championship next season…brilliant!

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Tony F said:

According to the BBC, "Lyon are close to signing Southampton's 16-year-old forward Alejandro Gomes Rodriguez."

I wonder why the club would sell off such young talent?  Maybe he is homesick....?

The club aren't selling him, he has decided to reject our contract offer and wants to explore his options.

We may get a tiny compensation fee, but that's all.

• Like 1

Do we have any players under this criteria? 

"English clubs will be able to sign a specified number of players who do not meet the points requirements for work permits after the interior ministry approved new criteria for international player visas, the Football Association said on Wednesday.

The new Governing Body Endorsement (GBE) Criteria, effective from the opening of the transfer window on June 14th, will allow Premier League and Championship teams to sign up to four such players. League One and League Two teams will be able to sign two."

https://www.reuters.com/sports/soccer/new-rules-allow-english-clubs-sign-players-who-do-not-meet-work-permit-2023-06-14/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Polaroid Saint said:

It's a slight misunderstanding to say spending big on transfers equates or correlates to success.

AGREED.   With rare exception, the majority of  our big money signings have been a real disappointment and a financial disaster.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

At least there are a few GK links, McCarthy is OK but the club clearly only see Lumley as an emergency and he must be bad to be behind Bazanu. Gavin gets into the Saints worst ever XI with ease, and that was before a season-long injury. Even a middle aged Chris Woods was better under Souness briefly. Maik Taylor that season was 100 times the keeper Bazanu will ever be.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

At least there are a few GK links, McCarthy is OK but the club clearly only see Lumley as an emergency and he must be bad to be behind Bazanu. Gavin gets into the Saints worst ever XI with ease, and that was before a season-long injury. Even a middle aged Chris Woods was better under Souness briefly. Maik Taylor that season was 100 times the keeper Bazanu will ever be.  

Quite clearly not true, I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove with hysterics.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

https://x.com/Cal1878/status/1728113472469074072?t=Q47jiYHLx6JkL3vJmrvYuw&s=19p

Info on our potential second Japanese signing.

Here’s another write up.

https://www.leftbackfootball.com/home/2022/11/18/kuryu-matsuki-fc-tokyos-prodigious-box-to-box-midfielder

Certainly has potential. Although the European leagues are going to be a lot more physical than what’s he used to he’ll need to develop his strength along the way.

WGS was highly complimentary about the dedication of the Japanese players he had at Celtic and Japan have shown themselves to have some good players at World Cups. I’m hoping we get some Yoshida style service and commitment from Matsuki, Sugarawa, and the other youngster. 

53 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

At least there are a few GK links, ….

Maik Taylor that season was 100 times the keeper Bazanu will ever be.  

I’m also pleased to see some GK links (apart from Steele who seems a more expensive for the EPL version of Lumley).

Maik Taylor was very unlucky to be displaced at Saints and could have been our GK for a few years but for Dave Jones wanting to bring Paul Jones from Stockport with him.

(Paul Jones who in his prime would also be an upgrade on Bazunu).

• Like 2

20 hours ago, West end Saints said:

Is there a problem?

It feels under Jason we got direction and we got the likes of thb. Prior to him we had onuachu and sulemana. I just worried about Sr formula on getting players using spreadsheets look at the mistakes Nathan jones was. 

How difficult we have made getting downes over the line we are gonna lose last seasons best player kwp

1 minute ago, 6ft8saint said:

It feels under Jason we got direction and we got the likes of thb. Prior to him we had onuachu and sulemana. I just worried about Sr formula on getting players using spreadsheets look at the mistakes Nathan jones was. 

How difficult we have made getting downes over the line we are gonna lose last seasons best player kwp

Do you have any evidence at all that not getting Downes yet is anything to do with saints? 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, lambtiss said:

My feelings exactly 

But we did win so we should be consolidating our position. Currently it feels team wise we are potentially worse if kwp  leaves as our signings are Championship or lower at best and we need some more prem standard.

I don't want to be a yo yo team

• Confused 3

37 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

Darren Mowbray joined us as head of recruitment on July 1st 2023.

Darren Mowbray is still head of recruitment.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Will be quite interesting to see how he gets on this year. I'll predict 7 league goals. Maybe he will surprise me. 

Yep. Will be interesting to see how he progresses. Really not worried about supposedly 'missing out' on him. Curious as to what led to us offering so much for him a couple of years ago.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The pissing and moaning on here if we'd agreed to a 20% sell-on fee would be off the scale.

Still, I wish we were Ipswich I wish we were Ipswich I wish we were Ipswich.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Darren Mowbray joined us as head of recruitment on July 1st 2023.

Darren Mowbray is still head of recruitment.

I think you have your roles mixed up....

Screenshot_20240713_200228_Chrome.jpg

8 hours ago, EBS1980 said:

if £15k a week is the going rate for an England youth international, then yes, you have to pay it.

The others players can ask for more.  Doesn't mean the club have to pay it. It is possible to have players on different size wages.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The pissing and moaning on here if we'd agreed to a 20% sell-on fee would be off the scale.

Do we wish we were Ipswich, more than we used to wish we were Norwich?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

I think you have your roles mixed up....

Screenshot_20240713_200228_Chrome.jpg

If you like you could look at the rest of the Internet that has him as Head Of Recruitment rather than some shitty site that doesn't because it suits your peculiar viewpoint.

He is head of recruitment ashe was when he joined.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Gavin gets into the Saints worst ever XI with ease

you obviously didn't see Ian Andrews in a Saints shirt?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 6ft8saint said:

With or without Jason, the Downes transfer will have taken time as the new manager is going to want to see him in training at least.  KWP isn't going to sign a new contract with us no matter who is doing the sweet talking. Being available on a free gives you a lot of options and a much larger wage.  

Jason was here five minutes. He hadn't done the job before and was learning on the job. He's not irreplaceable.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

But we did win so we should be consolidating our position. Currently it feels team wise we are potentially worse if kwp  leaves as our signings are Championship or lower at best and we need some more prem standard.

I don't want to be a yo yo team

What evidence do you have that Taylor, THB or sugawara are championship or lower at best? Edwards perhaps but by all accounts was excellent value and may prove himself to be prem standard. Lallana genuinely no idea how he was perform but I doubt he will play that often. 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Didn't actually play for us though. 

Even if you ignore Fourpast, I’d take Bazunu over Gazzaniga, Stekelenburg, McCarthy, Blayney, Bart and probably Kelvin. I want to say Moss too but I have no recollection of ever seeing him play for us.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Even if you ignore Fourpast, I’d take Bazunu over Gazzaniga, Stekelenburg, McCarthy, Blayney, Bart and probably Kelvin. I want to say Moss too but I have no recollection of ever seeing him play for us.

Was just pointing out that forecast didn't count. I wouldn't put Bazunu above Kelvin or McCarthy though and probably not Stekelenburg either and it's a toss up with Bart. Blayney fair enough but he barely played. There's very very few if any keepers who played a reasonable amount of games for us who I think has performed substantially worse than Bazunu. Certainly in the top flight, he was statistically and in reality absolutely rotten. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Was just pointing out that forecast didn't count. I wouldn't put Bazunu above Kelvin or McCarthy though and probably not Stekelenburg either and it's a toss up with Bart. Blayney fair enough but he barely played. There's very very few if any keepers who played a reasonable amount of games for us who I think has performed substantially worse than Bazunu. Certainly in the top flight, he was statistically and in reality absolutely rotten. 

You are right of course, He's got to be trolling for bites talking rubbish like that, McCarthy won player of the season and was capped for England plus I think our play off success is partly thanks to him, in no world does Baz rank above him. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 6ft8saint said:

What did you expect to happen? West Ham to just hand over Downes to us upon promotion and we walk away clapping?

Football doesn't work like that, never has done, never will do. There's no 'problem', it's just how football works. West Ham are protecting their asset, we want their asset, they want to maximise their income on their asset. It's business. It's football. What do you want us to do differently? Just bend over and spend 2x his value on him just to ''get it done?'' That would be dumb kill our transfer strategy dead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

So do and and so does my wife 😉

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JRM said:

You are right of course, He's got to be trolling for bites talking rubbish like that, McCarthy won player of the season and was capped for England plus I think our play off success is partly thanks to him, in no world does Baz rank above him. 

I also think there are some caveats. Bazunu is young and may develop into a solid keeper. No point pretending he's been anything other than absolute rubbish this far though. We got promoted largely in spite of him last year and the season before would rival the worst season of any top flight keeper we've ever had. 

• Like 3