Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Whilst spending big amounts does largely correlate with success for some clubs, it brings much more jeopardy for the likes of us and requires the scouting to be absolutley faultless. I'm not too fussed personally about how much a player costs, if you look at our most fulfilling signings in recent years then they're all in the 5-11m mark.  Stu Armstrong, Romeu, Bednarek, KWP etc.

When we've started to spend big on Sulemana, Boufal, Lemina, Hoedt, Onuachu, Vestergaard, Carrillo etc it's been truly awful without exception - so the amount a player costs certainly doesn't correlate to how successful they will be.

Spending big, for us, certainly doesn't guarantee success, but we did spend a few bob on Ings, Mane, Lavia and Van Dijk, so there have been some exceptions.

Despite the TV money kind of levelling out, the prices for players seem to keep going up, fuelled by billionaire's, oil money and mega sponsorship deals. Not sure how we get the talent here on a shoestring. Even the untried youngsters from City etc. cost £20m+ these days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

I wish we were Ipswich....😔😔

I don't know why you say that, but I am very thankful we are not Ipswich and  I am confident we will end above them.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

I don't know why you say that, but I am very thankful we are not Ipswich and  I am confident we will end above them.

They've got more trophies than us.

Actually, having said that, so do many teams 😅

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 6ft8saint said:

I keep reading loads on social media about players not wanting to play for us. 

Whether that is new potential signings (Wellington). And existing players Charlie and bella kocha. 

The latest says club insider, who is this person or is it interference from agents looking for a payday.

Or is there a bigger problem under the surface as to why players won't extend their contracts. And we keep having to sell them rather than losing them for free.

Why can't we be dominant in the transfer window for once and get deals done.

Or we end up with rothwell's

The Wellington noise is probably just the agent using us to promote his player.
Alcaraz got the chance to go to Juve. No brainer. The manager doesn't fancy him. Why would he want to stay here?
ABK didn't want to play in the second tier of English football. Not unusual.
All players want to play for the biggest clubs, which we are not, so why would our most talented players, like KWP, extend contracts that prevent them moving easily? There isn't a problem. It's just normal football business.
We can't dominate the window because we are one of, if not the weakest of all the 20 sides in terms of finances and attractiveness. It's very tough. Anyone decent is known and will probably have a decent option elsewhere.
I am sure we will bring in another Rothwell (i.e. not great), but maybe we will also end up with the Premier equivalent of THB, Downes, Fraser, Brooks that got us up last season.
Don't stress it. Enjoy this window. It's fun.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, Dellyears said:

I say that because every year at this time we get certain people on here looking at other teams transfer dealings and being very jealous. We have had a few "I wish we were (insert team name here)" posts over the last few seasons. Just thought I'd get in first this year......

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I say that because every year at this time we get certain people on here looking at other teams transfer dealings and being very jealous. We have had a few "I wish we were (insert team name here)" posts over the last few seasons. Just thought I'd get in first this year......

None of Ipswich signings are anything special, I mean they all improve their squad, but if was a league 1 team largely.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Why can't we sign this many FFS

Morecambe have announced the signing of 15 players, following the removal of the transfer embargo the club had been placed under.

Jordan Slew and Yann Songo’o begin their third spells at the club, having both signed one-year contracts, with David Tutonda having returned to the Mazuma Mobile Stadium for a second spell, also on a one-year deal. Callum Jones has returned on loan from Hull.

Luke Hendrie, Ross Millen, Max Taylor, Jamie Stott, Adam Lewis, George Ray, Harry Burgoyne, Tom White, Paul Lewis, Hallam Hope and Ben Tollitt have also all signed.

While under the embargo, Derek Adams’ Shrimps had only five players under contract. 

I wish we were Morecambe.

Well Done Friends GIF by Sky

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Chez said:

The Wellington noise is probably just the agent using us to promote his player.
Alcaraz got the chance to go to Juve. No brainer. The manager doesn't fancy him. Why would he want to stay here?
ABK didn't want to play in the second tier of English football. Not unusual.
All players want to play for the biggest clubs, which we are not, so why would our most talented players, like KWP, extend contracts that prevent them moving easily? There isn't a problem. It's just normal football business.
We can't dominate the window because we are one of, if not the weakest of all the 20 sides in terms of finances and attractiveness. It's very tough. Anyone decent is known and will probably have a decent option elsewhere.
I am sure we will bring in another Rothwell (i.e. not great), but maybe we will also end up with the Premier equivalent of THB, Downes, Fraser, Brooks that got us up last season.
Don't stress it. Enjoy this window. It's fun.

Yep and think how much shitter the window would be right now had we lost to Leeds. No THB, kwp, Downes, Bednarek, Adams etc etc. 

Yeah we might get relegated this year but at least it should hopefully be a fun ride. As long as we are competitive for the season that's what's important and we may do better than expected. I'm hoping so at any rate. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

We did get relegated though, right? So there probably were a few windows in recent years where the likes of Bournemouth/Fulham/Forest etc. had better windows than us. Currently the squad from fullback on is as weak as piss. Lots of work to do before we can roll our eyes at anyone looking enviously at other clubs' transfer activity.

4 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

We did get relegated though, right? So there probably were a few windows in recent years where the likes of Bournemouth/Fulham/Forest etc. had better windows than us. Currently the squad from fullback on is as weak as piss. Lots of work to do before we can roll our eyes at anyone looking enviously at other clubs' transfer activity.

You are happy with the GK position? 😉

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Yep and think how much shitter the window would be right now had we lost to Leeds. No THB, kwp, Downes, Bednarek, Adams etc etc. 

Yeah we might get relegated this year but at least it should hopefully be a fun ride. As long as we are competitive for the season that's what's important and we may do better than expected. I'm hoping so at any rate. 

My feelings exactly 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

Not far off that now, TBF ;) 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Looks like we are signing 21 year old midfielder Kutyu Matsuki from FC Tokyo. He'll be loaned out to Goztepe this season for Visa reasons. Highly rated player over in Japan. 

Loving all the jap players. I reckon there's some untapped potential there. 

https://targetscouting.com/2024/04/16/kuryu-matsuki-fc-tokyo-scout-report/

Hopefully about to finally see the benefits of being in a multi club group.

If he can't get a WP then wonder if the same will apply to the 17yo we signed on a pre contract - maybe he will end up at Goztepe first too?

I think their promotion back to Super Lig was quite important to us - hopefully they stay up.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Dusic said:

https://targetscouting.com/2024/04/16/kuryu-matsuki-fc-tokyo-scout-report/

Hopefully about to finally see the benefits of being in a multi club group.

If he can't get a WP then wonder if the same will apply to the 17yo we signed on a pre contract - maybe he will end up at Goztepe first too?

I think their promotion back to Super Lig was quite important to us - hopefully they stay up.

Agree with all this.  Their promotion is def a big thing — decent league to develop players in too.

This would be the 1st really big move to happen between the SR clubs.

8 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

None of Ipswich signings are anything special, I mean they all improve their squad, but if was a league 1 team largely.

It's amazing that an "off the cuff" joke post can elicit such po-faced responses....

• Like 3

6 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

It's amazing that an "off the cuff" joke post can elicit such po-faced responses....

• Like 1

It's a slight misunderstanding to say spending big on transfers equates or correlates to success.

The correlation between success and spending is when that spending is on WAGES.

It's a subtle but important difference IMO.

(As an aside, this might also help explain, a little, why big transfer fees on lesser known/unproven players (lower wages) have often/sometimes failed for Saints whereas loans on known players (higher wages) can be more reliable. )

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Polaroid Saint said:

It's a slight misunderstanding to say spending big on transfers equates or correlates to success.

The correlation between success and spending is when that spending is on WAGES.

It's a subtle but important difference IMO.

(As an aside, this might also help explain, a little, why big transfer fees on lesser known/unproven players (lower wages) have often/sometimes failed for Saints whereas loans on known players (higher wages) can be more reliable. )

Someone's read soccernomics!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

And I believe he wanted a fairly substantial wedge…

As a fairly middling sized club with a fairly small revenue, I agree with the club's stance here.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

As a fairly middling sized club with a fairly small revenue, I agree with the club's stance here.

Exactly where does it stop if we cave in to him, others will then come knocking demanding more. There should be a cap on salary until 18 imo as all that happens now if players move clubs to earn more even though not on a full pro contract. 

"Reset" = "reduce", fair enough if we want to make our academy less attractive, but how the heck do Lyon afford him (if that's where he ends up), when French clubs don't have the television money of the Premier League, nor the crowds, by and large?

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Exactly where does it stop if we cave in to him, others will then come knocking demanding more. There should be a cap on salary until 18 imo as all that happens now if players move clubs to earn more even though not on a full pro contract. 

Why should there be a cap? Should the Spanish lad have a cap? 

Who decides it? What level should it be? Should it be the same outside of football?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Ridiculous approach from the club. We can't expect to keep or retain the best talent by offering them less then we were paying other academy lads in the past. Absolutely pointless developing these lads if we're going to do that. Be willing to pay properly, and consistently, or don't bother. 

• Like 12

31 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Exactly where does it stop if we cave in to him, others will then come knocking demanding more.

if they are worth it, pay them, if not, show them the door. 

I am not sure I understand us speculating £10m-£15m on the likes of Larios and Charles, but not speculating on this lad. It is different I suppose and I guess the club has done the maths. Really dissappointing to have found top talent and see it slip through our fingers.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

Can someone please explain how sending him to goztepe helps with the work permit? Will a year there mean he somehow then becomes eligible for a permit? 

I think the Turkish top flight is classified as “band 2” in the work permit criteria whereas the J-League is “band 5”. As such a year in Turkey with regular minutes would probably see him get enough points to qualify.

• Like 4