Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

I think Matt O’Riley, of all the players names we have been associated with, is the one I’d think most likely to make an immediate and positive impact upon our first team. 

In the continuing absence of a top CF and with Stu gone, doubts over Charlie and we not even got Flynn over the line yet this is exactly the kind of consistent high energy levels goalscorer and assist machine we need.
Seems a level above Aribo and Will IF he can bring anything like his Scottish form over to the EPL.

If it’s €25m that’s a lot - and no doubt his wages will be in line with that - but I think if we put whatever we get for Paul  towards it and remember we not paying Stus wages any longer it won’t seem so high. I’m 100% in favour of this rumoured transfer. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, a1ex2001 said:

Probably means they are really wanting £30m, I can't see us playing up in that money league this summer even though it seems bare minimum for a decent player these days.

£30m is still a massive amount of money. Is he worth that?

3 hours ago, Chez said:

So, seven minutes into the Spurs game (score 0-0) he puts his shoulder out cos he `didn't fancy it and wanted to get subbed'?

Are you saying that after 42 minutes of the West Ham game, at which point we are winning 1-0, he `pretends' he has dislocated his shoulder (causing him to miss the next three games) cos he doesn't fancy it?

The Forest game at SMS was a painful affair for everyone connected to SMS, but he plainly slips on the astroturf where the managers stand, injures his knee and misses the next eight games. You are concluding that he `didn't fancy it and wanted to get subbed'?

He might not be very good - the way he defended the first goal in the Forest game away at their place was quite frankly embrassessing - and he might not want to be at Saints, but unless your mate is the club physio and he's told you that ABK was feigning injury, then I am going to have to disagree with you on the bonkers theory thing.

He won't be here come the end of the summer, so I guess it matters little.

I still think he’s a bottle-job.

3 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Absolutely, it's nonsense. Just purely in terms of ability he is our best CB so I'd love to see him re-integrated into the squad. I'm sure the injuries are just as frustrating for him as they were for us.

Did he play much for PSV?  Seems a bit to keen to be on the sick for my liking.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I still think he’s a bottle-job.

I think he's not as good as people imagine. He has the physical attributes (pace and power), all be it he has had injury issues, but his reading of the game and positional play leaves a lot to be desired. Anyone that disagrees needs to watch the Forest away game highlights. What on earth he was doing for their first goal is beyond me. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Did he play much for PSV?  Seems a bit to keen to be on the sick for my liking.

I think he did his shoulder again and he hardly played all season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

I couldn’t give a monkeys who his hero is.  Mine is Jack Nicklaus but it doesn’t make me a better golfer.

He has a heart the size of a pea.  Personally I would get rid.  However, I do understand your point of view, there is a player in there.

His hero is Philip Glass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I think he's not as good as people imagine. He has the physical attributes (pace and power), all be it he has had injury issues, but his reading of the game and positional play leaves a lot to be desired. Anyone that disagrees needs to watch the Forest away game highlights. What on earth he was doing for their first goal is beyond me. 

I don't disagree, I think it's easy to be blinded by his obvious physical attributes , pace/power etc - in a defender that's like top level stuff, but he's actually crap at basic defending, very naive in his approach (But maybe a little of slack there as he's quite young). That sort of thing can be improved with coaching and experience to a point, but he never struck me as someone with much of a football brain. His reputation seems to be born from his physical attributes rather than what he can do defensively.

I don't believe he ever feigned injury or wimped out of games, far from it, but he's clearly pretty injury prone on top of all that. I think he played less than 10 times in the Dutch league last year. I know he was one of the players last summer who Martin referred to as those who 'think they have a PL market' - as he was pushing to get out no matter what. His attitude was questioned a fair bit in the summer by those in the club.

Compare him to someone like KWP who played a lot for us in our relegation season, and previously set a reputation for himself. Not once did he start shouting and demanding a PL move, he stuck to it and played with us in the Champ to help us back - those are the sorts of characters you need, not those who think they're already too good when they've never actually achieved anything.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Sounds like we are pushing for this one.

He looks alright on YouTube.  Seems to have a bit of everything.  Only really played a season in France and still only 20 so not exactly experienced.  Our midfield looks really light at the moment so definitely need to start seeing some coming in. 

I wonder whether he's viewed (in an ideal world) as well as Downes and O'Riley or if he's considered next best for one of those positions.  Would appear to be a bit of a risk asking him to play the Downes role and doesn't carry the goal threat of O'Riley.  I guess if we go with 3 CBs then there's less need for an out and out defensive midfielder (and Downes was far more progressive when we switched last season).

• Like 1

Some pretty harsh assumptions being made about Bella-Kotchap. Personally I felt he looked quality most of the time he played - though his confidence took a battering by the end of the season in which we were relegated and his performances with it. Who knows whether he may also have been playing in pain at that time too.

Nevertheless, having signed loads of defenders this summer it seems likely that he will be sold. Sadly, I doubt we will receive his true value and some other club will find to their joy that they have unearthed a real gem for a cut-price sum. Those who are speaking so scathingly about him may well be made to eat their words.

Personally I would be pleased to see him stay but if he does leave then I wish him all the best.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

He looks alright on YouTube.  Seems to have a bit of everything.  Only really played a season in France and still only 20 so not exactly experienced.  Our midfield looks really light at the moment so definitely need to start seeing some coming in. 

I wonder whether he's viewed (in an ideal world) as well as Downes and O'Riley or if he's considered next best for one of those positions.  Would appear to be a bit of a risk asking him to play the Downes role and doesn't carry the goal threat of O'Riley.  I guess if we go with 3 CBs then there's less need for an out and out defensive midfielder (and Downes was far more progressive when we switched last season).

Doesn't seem like he plays the same position as Downes at all. If anything he's a Stuart Armstrong replacement. 

7 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

From what I saw in the video, he doesn't offer much in the way of creativity. He's more of a spoiler. Lots and lots of sliding tackles. Not sure we have a great deal of that currently, so perhaps the squad has room for it. He may have more to his game, but you can't see it in the youtube video.

• Like 1

As with every season but this one in particular, wouldn't it be great if we did the vast majority of our transfer business before the season starts. Often we leave things so late that we are almost also rans before the transfer deadline, points behind.

I know that the mad scramble towards transfer deadline day may bring a bargain player or two but which player would want to join an already struggling side.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Some pretty harsh assumptions being made about Bella-Kotchap. Personally I felt he looked quality most of the time he played - though his confidence took a battering by the end of the season in which we were relegated and his performances with it. Who knows whether he may also have been playing in pain at that time too.

Nevertheless, having signed loads of defenders this summer it seems likely that he will be sold. Sadly, I doubt we will receive his true value and some other club will find to their joy that they have unearthed a real gem for a cut-price sum. Those who are speaking so scathingly about him may well be made to eat their words.

Personally I would be pleased to see him stay but if he does leave then I wish him all the best.

Loads of forum members did the same with Bednarek 18 months ago and yet he proved his desire to play for us and improved last season. ABK could do the same if he is our player come 1st September. Some of the comments about his ability and performances are laughable actually. It is a bit like a player who suddenly becomes a world beater when they aren’t playing for us, in reverse.

I would want to give him a chance if he decides to stay and work with RM. He showed glimpses of the type of centre back we are crying out for in the RM system. You also have to remember he was playing alongside Salisu and Perraud who it may be where both a disrupting influence (possibly) and weak to perform with causing him to perhaps make mistakes he wouldn’t usually make such as away at Forest. 
There were examples of times he saved certain goals in other games too.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Doesn't seem like he plays the same position as Downes at all. If anything he's a Stuart Armstrong replacement. 

1 minute ago, Chez said:

From what I saw in the video, he doesn't offer much in the way of creativity. He's more of a spoiler. Lots and lots of sliding tackles. Not sure we have a great deal of that currently, so perhaps the squad has room for it. He may have more to his game, but you can't see it in the youtube video.

Well there we go, two people see completely different things so maybe somewhere in the middle wasn't too far off.  I thought he was probably a bit more defensively minded but for the national team played a bit more forward and carried more of a threat.

6 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Well there we go, two people see completely different things so maybe somewhere in the middle wasn't too far off.  I thought he was probably a bit more defensively minded but for the national team played a bit more forward and carried more of a threat.

Either way certainly not a definite dm. I'd be surprised if he was the Downes alternative. 

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Either way certainly not a definite dm. I'd be surprised if he was the Downes alternative. 

Well it's YouTube so it's hard to judge - I wouldn't stick my neck out and say definite based on watching a few clips.  This bloke seems to think he's Kante, Busquets and JWP rolled into one: https://khelnow.com/football/2024-01-world-football-lamine-camara-profile-scouting-report

Edited by revolution saint

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Downes isn't really a DM either - it was just that he was the player who was best able to play in that position - a bit like Declan Rice for England. Like Rice, I think Downes is a multi-faceted box-to-box midfielder. He is able to sit in front of the defence and provide an extra line of defence, he is able to make telling passes to move the ball forward through midfield and he is able to take the ball forward at his feet. He can also adopt a more attacking role if needed.

It's not dissimilar either to the role that Ward-Prowse filled for Saints. When playing alongside Romeu he was able to move forwards more, but when Romeu was out he could fill that DM role.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Downes isn't really a DM either - it was just that he was the player who was best able to play in that position - a bit like Declan Rice for England. Like Rice, I think Downes is a multi-faceted box-to-box midfielder. He is able to sit in front of the defence and provide an extra line of defence, he is able to make telling passes to move the ball forward through midfield and he is able to take the ball forward at his feet. He can also adopt a more attacking role if needed.

It's not dissimilar either to the role that Ward-Prowse filled for Saints. When playing alongside Romeu he was able to move forwards more, but when Romeu was out he could fill that DM role.

That's not my recollection of Downes. We've utilised him as a defensive midfielder to disrupt the other team and dispossess him. The only other player who played that role last year was Charles. 

Why can't we sign this many FFS

Morecambe have announced the signing of 15 players, following the removal of the transfer embargo the club had been placed under.

Jordan Slew and Yann Songo’o begin their third spells at the club, having both signed one-year contracts, with David Tutonda having returned to the Mazuma Mobile Stadium for a second spell, also on a one-year deal. Callum Jones has returned on loan from Hull.

Luke Hendrie, Ross Millen, Max Taylor, Jamie Stott, Adam Lewis, George Ray, Harry Burgoyne, Tom White, Paul Lewis, Hallam Hope and Ben Tollitt have also all signed.

While under the embargo, Derek Adams’ Shrimps had only five players under contract. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Why can't we sign this many FFS

Morecambe have announced the signing of 15 players, following the removal of the transfer embargo the club had been placed under.

Jordan Slew and Yann Songo’o begin their third spells at the club, having both signed one-year contracts, with David Tutonda having returned to the Mazuma Mobile Stadium for a second spell, also on a one-year deal. Callum Jones has returned on loan from Hull.

Luke Hendrie, Ross Millen, Max Taylor, Jamie Stott, Adam Lewis, George Ray, Harry Burgoyne, Tom White, Paul Lewis, Hallam Hope and Ben Tollitt have also all signed.

While under the embargo, Derek Adams’ Shrimps had only five players under contract. 

Do you think we missed out on any of those?!!

3 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

On the sliding scale of #SaintsFC midfielders, I hope he’s more Lavia than Diallo.

Let's hope so, really hard to tell the level of quality from the youtube videos. But he does look of a higher level than Diallo just based on those.

He does look more combative and physical than Diallo, looks to me like someone who could do the Armstrong/Rothwell roles and drive from CM into the attacking areas. Certainly not an alternative to Downes based on what I've seen.

• Like 1

Dubravka would be a brilliant signing for us - instantly would improve the GK department. The fact that we're even being linked with a GK means that perhaps we won't have to see Alex as a no 1 all season and Lumley as back-up - or whatever they plan to do with Lis. That's a positive link whether it comes off or not.

Is it a little unusual that the fees we have been rumoured to pay thus far are a fair bit less than we paid last year for Shea Charles? That was an incredibly odd signing. 

Not that I particularly want us to spend a load of cash but I do think to improve our chances of getting a decent signing we should be looking to spend about 20 million plus on a striker and 15-20 on an AM. Not sure if we are able to spend that but that's what I'd be looking at to improve the team (maybe that will change if we get a decent free transfer in.)

Edited by hypochondriac

In quite a few of the Lamine Camara YouTube videos it is not him in some of the clips of the national team. Whoever has edited the video has mixed him up with another player with a very similar name... Mamadou Lamine Camara.

• Like 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Is it a little unusual that the fees we have been rumoured to pay thus far are a fair bit less than we paid last year for Shea Charles? That was an incredibly odd signing. 

I do think we'll make 2 or 3 big money signings (big money for us not big money for the Premier League) but it does seem that we're currently targeting frees and low £million players over more expensive signings. Perhaps they're just the easier ones to get done but we'd signing Edwards before there was even really any noise about it - especially as other clubs were supposedly interested in him. Shea may yet become a £15 million player but it was definitely a lot of money to spend on potential especially as we were a Championship-bound side.

Just now, SNSUN said:

I do think we'll make 2 or 3 big money signings (big money for us not big money for the Premier League) but it does seem that we're currently targeting frees and low £million players over more expensive signings. Perhaps they're just the easier ones to get done but we'd signing Edwards before there was even really any noise about it - especially as other clubs were supposedly interested in him. Shea may yet become a £15 million player but it was definitely a lot of money to spend on potential especially as we were a Championship-bound side.

Would he be top ten signing in terms of amount for a championship side? For that dough you'd be expecting absolute top quality. 

I'm pleased with our signings so far but I will be expecting Downes or equivalent, a top quality striker, a decent AM and a good winger as a minimum really and I'd be expecting us to be shopping in a higher bracket for at least a couple of those. 

Whilst spending big amounts does largely correlate with success for some clubs, it brings much more jeopardy for the likes of us and requires the scouting to be absolutley faultless. I'm not too fussed personally about how much a player costs, if you look at our most fulfilling signings in recent years then they're all in the 5-11m mark.  Stu Armstrong, Romeu, Bednarek, KWP etc.

When we've started to spend big on Sulemana, Boufal, Lemina, Hoedt, Onuachu, Vestergaard, Carrillo etc it's been truly awful without exception - so the amount a player costs certainly doesn't correlate to how successful they will be.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Would he be top ten signing in terms of amount for a championship side? For that dough you'd be expecting absolute top quality. 

I'm pleased with our signings so far but I will be expecting Downes or equivalent, a top quality striker, a decent AM and a good winger as a minimum really and I'd be expecting us to be shopping in a higher bracket for at least a couple of those. 

When you factor in we largely went for an entire Championship season without a decent striker because we spent £6/7 million or whatever it was on one that had been injured for 8 months prior, when that Charles money could have brought in one that was fit and ready, beggars belief really but that may have been the hangover from the buy promise/sell high method of doing things that we had because of the Tino/Lavia deals. Thankfully it didn't cost us ultimately and we got back to the Prem first time of asking...but it could've. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Whilst spending big amounts does largely correlate with success for some clubs, it brings much more jeopardy for the likes of us and requires the scouting to be absolutley faultless. I'm not too fussed personally about how much a player costs, if you look at our most fulfilling signings in recent years then they're all in the 5-11m mark.  Stu Armstrong, Romeu, Bednarek, KWP etc.

When we've started to spend big on Sulemana, Boufal, Lemina, Hoedt, Onuachu, Vestergaard, Carrillo etc it's been truly awful without exception - so the amount a player costs certainly doesn't correlate to how successful they will be.

Overall, player costs do definitely have a correlation with success. That's why the teams who spend the most generally are the most successful. We probably have the funds to make two standout signings which involve spending a bit of money. One of these imo has to be a striker and we need quality. It seems incredibly unlikely to me that we will be able to find a quality striker without spending a decent amount of cash. I think we will anyway I'm just struck by how little we are spending. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, losgigantes said:

As with every season but this one in particular, wouldn't it be great if we did the vast majority of our transfer business before the season starts

28 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We probably have the funds to make two standout signings which involve spending a bit of money. One of these imo has to be a striker and we need quality.

Genuinely think our powers-that-be believe they have already done the majority of the transfer business. Goalkeeper sorted, defence sorted, Matt O'Riley/Downes negotiations ongoing in their eyes sorts midfield...we just need that signature striker signing. 

I'm not expecting a lot else. ABK can leave and good riddance, Alcaraz can come back and hope he does. It's that striker...

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Overall, player costs do definitely have a correlation with success. That's why the teams who spend the most generally are the most successful. We probably have the funds to make two standout signings which involve spending a bit of money. One of these imo has to be a striker and we need quality. It seems incredibly unlikely to me that we will be able to find a quality striker without spending a decent amount of cash. I think we will anyway I'm just struck by how little we are spending. 

I think we will spend 15-20m on Downes, 15-20m on Clarke, 20-25m on ORiley, 10-12m on this French CM and 20m on a striker of note. 

We have some income already, which may of covered the signings made, and we will probably sell KWP for 10-15, ABK for similar, Alcaraz for 15-20, and maybe Sulemana for similar. Which broadly speaking covers a big chunk of that. 

It's folly (not yohann🤣) to think we won't spend 15-25m each on 4 or 5 players because the league is so much stronger than even a year ago and I'm pretty confident our owners get the importance of stating up for quite a while!!!

We may not get our first choices as such but there will be many choices that we have of good quality. I have a good feeling we will be very pleased in a few weeks with the business completed. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

I think we will spend 15-20m on Downes, 15-20m on Clarke, 20-25m on ORiley, 10-12m on this French CM and 20m on a striker of note. 

We have some income already, which may of covered the signings made, and we will probably sell KWP for 10-15, ABK for similar, Alcaraz for 15-20, and maybe Sulemana for similar. Which broadly speaking covers a big chunk of that. 

It's folly (not yohann🤣) to think we won't spend 15-25m each on 4 or 5 players because the league is so much stronger than even a year ago and I'm pretty confident our owners get the importance of stating up for quite a while!!!

We may not get our first choices as such but there will be many choices that we have of good quality. I have a good feeling we will be very pleased in a few weeks with the business completed. 

No chance we’re spending another £80m minimum.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

No chance we’re spending another £80m minimum.

Downes - £15M

Camara - £10M

O'Riley - £25M

Striker - Have Alreadfy shown our hand with Delap 20M

That's 70Million.

Wouldn't surprise me if that's the ball park.

• Like 1

I keep reading loads on social media about players not wanting to play for us. 

Whether that is new potential signings (Wellington). And existing players Charlie and bella kocha. 

The latest says club insider, who is this person or is it interference from agents looking for a payday.

Or is there a bigger problem under the surface as to why players won't extend their contracts. And we keep having to sell them rather than losing them for free.

Why can't we be dominant in the transfer window for once and get deals done.

Or we end up with rothwell's

• Confused 5

1 minute ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Downes - £15M

Camara - £10M

O'Riley - £25M

Striker - Have Alreadfy shown our hand with Delap 20M

That's 70Million.

Wouldn't surprise me if that's the ball park.

I think it is staged payments now. We are still due the balance of the 120m from start of last seasons sales. Lavia. Tino and more

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

I think it is staged payments now. We are still due the balance of the 120m from start of last seasons sales. Lavia. Tino and more

Yeah, the amortised amounts, much like the money we owe other clubs too.