Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

I took a moment to remind myself about Bella-Kotchap. 

His injury record is obviously not good - but -

1. He is / was a German international centre back. When fit. 
2. I will repeat that - he is/ was a German international centre back - when fit.
3. He is only 22 years old. 
4. He speaks English, - pretty much essential for a RM player especially seeing how non speakers like lyanco and Charlie get shipped out. 
5. He is 6ft 3” and athletic with it, - our biggest defender in a team not all that big.
6. RM thinks he is an impressive massive unit and wants to get to know him better - from a fellow defender to take a personal interest like that is crucial. Can RM teach and motivate BK - and keep him injury free? If so skys the limit. 
7. BK has Rio Ferdinand as his hero role model- a classy cb good choice to aspire to. 

8. Bought for £11m still valued at £12m by transfermkt and cannot be on big wages. Selling him now for what we paid can be done - easy - but surely he’s worth a pre season at least to see if he’s able for the EPL with RM,s team?

9. His contract is until 2026 so we got time - if he does well we can sell him next year for a gazillion -or upgrade and extend his contract.

I don’t see much downside to keeping him in the squad. Go Bella! 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

2. I will repeat that - he is/ was a German international centre back - when fit.
4. He speaks English, - pretty much essential for a RM player especially seeing how non speakers her shipped out early.  
5. He is 6ft 3” and athletic with it, - our biggest defender in a team not all that big.
6. RM thinks he is an impressive massive unit and wants to get to know him better - from a fellow defender to take a personal interest like that is crucial. Can RM teach and motivate BK - and keep him injury free? If so skys the limit. 
7. BK has Rio Ferdinand as his hero role model- a classy cb good choice to aspire to. 

8. Bought for £11m still valued at £12m by transfermkt and cannot be on big wages. Selling him now for what we paid can be done - easy - but surely he’s worth a pre season at least to see if he’s able for the EPL with RM,s team?

9. His contract is until 2026 so we got time - if he does well we can sell him next year for a gazillion -or upgrade and extend his contract.

….and made of glass and not someone would want alongside you in trenches as disappears when it’s tough.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

….and made of glass and not someone would want alongside you in trenches as disappears when it’s tough.

His shoulder seems to be a serious concern which must be massively frustrating to both him and the club, I'd like to see him given another chance he looked pretty decent even in our terrible relegation season and if by some miracle he stays fit he could be the best centre back at the club.

Edited by a1ex2001
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Agree his injury record is not good. I made that a first proviso.
The thing about not wanting him in the trenches is a debatable comment. I do not know what it was like for him aged 20/21 in the uk playing in Ralph’s team but surely not easy and a walk in the park. German international defenders not usually cowards. I’d hope a years maturity - and RM “bravery coaching” influence - and staying injury free - might address any “resolve” issues 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

4. He speaks English, - pretty much essential for a RM player especially seeing how non speakers like lyanco and Charlie get shipped out. 

Apart from the fact he said he doesn’t want to be here.

And have 6 other centre backs already.

Other than that, a great sell.

13 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

TBF trenches weren't designed for glass people.  Although, thinking about it, glass people are ideal for that kind of warfare - that kind of transparency would make them far harder to hit.  Unless he's made of stained glass.  Is he made of stained glass or just usual glass?

• Haha 1

ABK has now had his shoulder surgery. Managing it through natural recovery/exercises all started when he wanted to make the German national team squad for the World Cup and it has plagued him since. You would hope that a recurrence of the shoulder injury popping back out easily should be a thing of the past now.

The negatives are he’s not played much footy for a while and noises through Fabrizio Romano suggest he wants a new challenge. If we could motivate him to stay, I think he could play a big role. We all saw his raw attributes and it’s only really been his shoulder troubles that have kept him from progressing. 

Due to his interest in moving on and how that sale could go in full into the FFP tracker, I would expect he will inevitably leave us. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Where has this narrative come from? He suffered a few injury problems with us, and some people seem to have extrapolated from that that he is a cowardly player who bails out when things aren't going his way. It's nothing but a bonkers theory that someone came up with on here and seems to have somehow crept into some kind of consensus.

He's still young, and he looked excellent at times with us before that whole season turned to shit. His injury record is a concern, but if he's currently fit then I see no reason why he can't play a big part for us this season.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 11

14 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Where has this narrative come from? He suffered a few injury problems with us, and some people seem to have extrapolated from that that he is a cowardly player who bails out when things aren't going his way. It's nothing but a bonkers theory that someone came up with on here and seems to have somehow crept into some kind of consensus.

He's still young, and he looked excellent at times with us before that whole season turned to shit. His injury record is a concern, but if he's currently fit then I see no reason why he can't play a big part for us this season.

It’s come from watching him and him wanting to go off at drop of hat!

It wasn’t just his shoulder too often the slightest knock he would go down he is a massive unit yet slightest thing he would lie down.

Not bonkers actually my belief watching him not led by a forum

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

I couldn’t give a monkeys who his hero is.  Mine is Jack Nicklaus but it doesn’t make me a better golfer.

He has a heart the size of a pea.  Personally I would get rid.  However, I do understand your point of view, there is a player in there.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It’s not a bonkers theory.  Every time he didn’t fancy it, he found a way to get subbed.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I'm not sure we have the space to accommodate him to be honest unless we ship out other players. Not sure with his injury record he's someone you'd want to be relying on. Edwards, Woods, Stephens, Bednarek, THB and ABK are too many CBs. Maybe we would try to keep him if Bednarek leaves or something but I can't see it. 

He should go on to have a perfectly good career. It just isn't going to be with us. If he learns from his time with us, then there's nothing stopping him doing really well. As much off field/ mentality as on field.

I'm sure we all wanted him to do well. And he's got the talent, and at a young age.

That was a bin fire of a season, when we went down. People under such a lot of pressure will act differently, and not always wisely. They will look at their place and their future and make calls on that.

Whatever was going on with him personally, not least his injuries, we've brought in replacements. As the amortisation impacts the contract, we'll either loan or hopefully get our asking price.

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

I'd like to see RM give him a good look over and a shot in pre-season. ABK COULD be really good for us.

Remember his surging runs in his early days with us, and some of his impressive shows of strength in one-on-ones with a forward? Maybe, MAYBE there's still a player there for us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

Shame to see any talent leaving but, if it's not a pathway to our first team, then wish him success.

We can at least hopefully use that success to show other prospects the foundations we offer. And hopefully some of those will stay.

And nice it's not just Chelsea or someone hoovering up talent here.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Shame to see any talent leaving but, if it's not a pathway to our first team, then wish him success.

We can at least hopefully use that success to show other prospects the foundations we offer. And hopefully some of those will stay.

It's worse for us that he's gone abroad.  Means we're entitled to less compensation I believe 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm not sure we have the space to accommodate him to be honest unless we ship out other players. Not sure with his injury record he's someone you'd want to be relying on. Edwards, Woods, Stephens, Bednarek, THB and ABK are too many CBs. Maybe we would try to keep him if Bednarek leaves or something but I can't see it. 

I think we will need six cb’s this season if RM continues the way we ended last year with 3CB’s on the pitch at anyone time.
The point regarding Jan is well made. Maybe Saints will let him run out the contract - but given the two newbies and the return of BK it does kind of point to Saints cashing in on him before he does a Che.  Hard call that as Jan was fundamental last year. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

It’s not a bonkers theory.  Every time he didn’t fancy it, he found a way to get subbed.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

In the 2022/23 season he was subbed off with injury a total of THREE times. On each occasion, he was out for a number of games afterwards. Two of those were due to his ongoing shoulder problem. The other was a knee injury that kept him out for 10 games.

image.png.18eeeced065e5f59d87f7056c32b9cb8.png

This narrative that he was a coward who wanted to come off when he didn't fancy it is just utter bollocks.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

So, seven minutes into the Spurs game (score 0-0) he puts his shoulder out cos he `didn't fancy it and wanted to get subbed'?

Are you saying that after 42 minutes of the West Ham game, at which point we are winning 1-0, he `pretends' he has dislocated his shoulder (causing him to miss the next three games) cos he doesn't fancy it?

The Forest game at SMS was a painful affair for everyone connected to SMS, but he plainly slips on the astroturf where the managers stand, injures his knee and misses the next eight games. You are concluding that he `didn't fancy it and wanted to get subbed'?

He might not be very good - the way he defended the first goal in the Forest game away at their place was quite frankly embrassessing - and he might not want to be at Saints, but unless your mate is the club physio and he's told you that ABK was feigning injury, then I am going to have to disagree with you on the bonkers theory thing.

He won't be here come the end of the summer, so I guess it matters little.

• Like 18

17 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

He's only 16. How can his pathway be blocked at that age?

9 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

It's worse for us that he's gone abroad.  Means we're entitled to less compensation I believe 

Good point. I'd just prefer to see departing players go to a variety of ( preferably high profile) places , than follow a similar path. That doesn't have to be Chelsea or Brighton here, right enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I meant that it's a shame that we won't get to see him progress through the pathways to our team, not that it was blocked, resulting in him going.

Slovak sports journalist……Jan Josenka..

“Martin Dúbravka je napríklad v hľadáčiku Southampton”

Even without translation I think you can work it out. He’s in our sights.   🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by saint lard
  • Like 6

17 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

How stupid of me! Theres me thinking that the club would be talking to a number of players at once to see what develops. I didn't realised that they talked to them one at a time in order of preference.......it all makes sense now that you have explained it for me....

Of course they talk to various players/agents all the time.

But then there comes a point when its decision time and clearly re Delap that has been this week. 

So pretty logical to deduce we wanted him as were ready to close the deal - I doubt we would have done that if we still had players above him on our list.

5 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Slovak sports journalist……Jan Josenka..

“Martin Dúbravka je napríklad v hľadáčiku Southampton”

Even without translation I think you can work it out. He’s in our sights.   🤷🏻‍♂️

Full article says he has interest from Celtic and one PL club, which he says is Saints

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I think we will need six cb’s this season if RM continues the way we ended last year with 3CB’s on the pitch at anyone time.
The point regarding Jan is well made. Maybe Saints will let him run out the contract - but given the two newbies and the return of BK it does kind of point to Saints cashing in on him before he does a Che.  Hard call that as Jan was fundamental last year. 

I don't think there's any chance we will have 6 cbs in the squad. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Of course they talk to various players/agents all the time.

But then there comes a point when its decision time and clearly re Delap that has been this week. 

So pretty logical to deduce we wanted him as were ready to close the deal - I doubt we would have done that if we still had players above him on our list.

If we really did make a bid for Delap (Steve Stone seems to know his stuff about City), does that mean the Che new contract negotiation has come to an end, or are we looking to sign two strikers? 

30 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

In the 2022/23 season he was subbed off with injury a total of THREE times. On each occasion, he was out for a number of games afterwards. Two of those were due to his ongoing shoulder problem. The other was a knee injury that kept him out for 10 games.

image.png.18eeeced065e5f59d87f7056c32b9cb8.png

This narrative that he was a coward who wanted to come off when he didn't fancy it is just utter bollocks.

Absolutely, it's nonsense. Just purely in terms of ability he is our best CB so I'd love to see him re-integrated into the squad. I'm sure the injuries are just as frustrating for him as they were for us.

• Like 2

SSN report:   

Bologna are interested in Aberdeen striker Bojan Miovski.

It’s understood the North Macedonia international is high up on the Serie A club’s target list as they look to replace Joshua Zirkzee, who is set to join Manchester United.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Saints said:

Dubravka would be very decent.

I don't understand why they are letting Dubravka go - he filled in well last season for Pope - to be replaced by Odesea Vlachodimos (who couldn't get a game ahead of Matt Turner) and John Ruddy, who is now 37.  I know he only has a year left of his contract, but it feels like a downgrade for them rather than an upgrade. 

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

I don't understand why they are letting Dubravka go - he filled in well last season for Pope - to be replaced by Odesea Vlachodimos (who couldn't get a game ahead of Matt Turner) and John Ruddy, who is now 37.  I know he only has a year left of his contract, but it feels like a downgrade for them rather than an upgrade. 

Wages probably. He's been there for a while so has no doubt negotiated a few juicy increases in that time, could even still be on first-choice wages.

18 minutes ago, Chez said:

It was all down to the PSR cook up with Forest. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

Think they might end up signing Ramsdale.

Dubravka was pretty awful for Newcastle 2nd half of last season, hence why they have signed other backup keepers. 

They had a run at some stage where almost every shot on target was going in and some fans were calling for an Academy keeper to replace him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Dubravka was pretty awful for Newcastle 2nd half of last season, hence why they have signed other backup keepers. 

They had a run at some stage where almost every shot on target was going in and some fans were calling for an Academy keeper to replace him.

And he's the 35 year old keeper people on here think we should sign?

I know GK is and has been a real problem for us, but maybe the grass isn't greener. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Celtic Reject £17m Bid for Southampton Target Matt O'Riley

Says they want £50M! Good luck, but even so, can see us being priced out of this one, if we are interested. 

They're keen to cut out the stepping stone middle clubs (basically us), where they can. It's a big club, but it makes a massive difference to their funds, if they can manage that with even one player. Ah, well.

Perhaps there will be no takers and we can get him with a nice sell on clause to keep everyone happy.

12 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Says they want £50M! Good luck, but even so, can see us being priced out of this one, if we are interested. 

Source is Alan Nixon who talks utter shit. 

There is no chance he's going for £50m, £30m at most and think he'll probably end up going for £20-25m personally. Can't see us signing him if there is a bidding war though, unless he chooses us because of his relationship with Russell Martin.

Alan Nixon is up there, wait, I mean down there with a lot of the tripe that likes to think they have footballing journalism credentials. Others include Alex Crook who regularly chirps in with wild stories only for them to be false and then hastily deleted it with stuff that has been announced AFTER it has already been announced. 😂

17 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I know a man

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Dusic said:

He’ll fit right in 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I mean, if I was in the academy, and saw talent like Dibling & Ballard being blocked out by utter dross like Mara or Sulemana, I'd ponder if there was an academy pathway there at all. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Probably means they are really wanting £30m, I can't see us playing up in that money league this summer even though it seems bare minimum for a decent player these days.