Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

26 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

I see that Spurs are going to offload Hjoberg. Still only 28. I’d have him back.

Sessenon is going to be released too, wouldn't be to shabby as a decent wing back option. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Katalinic said:

Interesting that not only was Lallana there but was in a club suit, shirt and tie. 

That was a funny moment, didn't know whether to cheer Le Tiss or boo Lallana 🤣

• Haha 1

It isn't easy to overhaul the entire squad this Summer, so you'd think that if we're/they're willing that it'd be beneficial for us to get ABK and Alcaraz back involved with the squad. Potentially Perraud too? Definitely better than Manning but maybe we'd prefer to sell and reinvest. I think we'll get THB (obviously), Downes and Fraser permanently from this years loan squad.

Question marks about KWP and perhaps Stu, who I think may sign an extension. I think Smallbone will definitely get the chance to be a starter next season, but I'd hope we bring in at least two central midfielders. Sulemana and Mara likely to go, who'd need replaced and improved upon. Onuachu and Lyanco to come back from loan and be swiftly moved back on (permanently, hopefully).

GK: NEW, Bazunu, Lumley

LB: NEW, Manning, Meghoma, Larios
CB: Bella-Kotchap, Bednarek, Lawrence
CB: Harwood-Bellis, Stephens
RB: Walker-Peters, Bree

DM: Downes, Charles
CM: Smallbone, Aribo
CM: NEW, Alcaraz, Stu(?)

LW: NEW, Edozie, Sulemana, Dibling
ST: NEW, Stewart, Mara, Ballard
RW: A. Armstrong, Fraser, Amo-Ameyaw

I think there's a decent skeleton there already, but we'll need to nail a couple of signings to have any hope. Goalkeeper and Striker obviously the scariest two. 

Just now, Scummer said:

I was told yesterday that he is signing for us

I think he's coming in as a coach, he's not coming in playing capacity as far as I'm aware. He'll join Surman etc in the academy former player cohort.

• Like 2

Just now, notnowcato said:

Great engine, shocking passer of the ball

Yeah I think for our 'style', he'd be shown up a bit. We need good technicians who can pickup the ball in tight spaces and move it on quickly, one of PEH's worst attributes is passing so he'd be totally wrong for us.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

It isn't easy to overhaul the entire squad this Summer, so you'd think that if we're/they're willing that it'd be beneficial for us to get ABK and Alcaraz back involved with the squad. Potentially Perraud too? Definitely better than Manning but maybe we'd prefer to sell and reinvest. I think we'll get THB (obviously), Downes and Fraser permanently from this years loan squad.

Question marks about KWP and perhaps Stu, who I think may sign an extension. I think Smallbone will definitely get the chance to be a starter next season, but I'd hope we bring in at least two central midfielders. Sulemana and Mara likely to go, who'd need replaced and improved upon. Onuachu and Lyanco to come back from loan and be swiftly moved back on (permanently, hopefully).

I think there's a decent skeleton there already, but we'll need to nail a couple of signings to have any hope. Goalkeeper and Striker obviously the scariest two. 

You're proposing we go into a premier league season with Shea Charles as Flynn Downes' back up? He's Diallo MK2, he's not a DM.

Edited by Disco Stu

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah I think for our 'style', he'd be shown up a bit. We need good technicians who can pickup the ball in tight spaces and move it on quickly, one of PEH's worst attributes is passing so he'd be totally wrong for us.

He’s not a ‘sit back and spray it around’ type of midfielder but if we’re looking for an upgrade on Smallbone (which we will need) with a good engine, I think he’d be a good candidate.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You're proposing we go into a premier league season with Shea Charles as Flynn Downes' back up? He's Diallo MK2, he's not a DM.

I'm definitely not, nah. There'll be way more squad players added, but only wrote the ones where I think we'd have the need for an immediate starter.

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Promotion is certainly going to throw some pigeons at a cat, as Paul Merson would say. After the euphoria of yesterday, we’re going to have to start facing up to the fact that the majority of the players who got us promoted aren’t really good enough to stay up. Even some of our best players from this season, like Bednarek and AA, are only ever going to be relegation battle standard in the PL.

In the short term we are going to be in a relegation battle ( most likely), so relegation battle standards AA, Stephens, bednarek are fine.

4 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

In the short term we are going to be in a relegation battle ( most likely), so relegation battle standards AA, Stephens, bednarek are fine.

I’m not sure that logic follows. It’s a bit like saying, “short term the house is on fire, so covering the furniture in petrol is fine.”

We will need better players than those mentioned to be starting for us next season.

16 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Adam lallana is out first signing.

Technically THB is our first signing.

If we hadn't been promoted I'd have probably taken Lallana but as a PL team? No thank you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I really like Vinicius Souza at Sheffield United, a tough defensive mid who wins the ball a lot and has a high pass completion. Of the rest of the relegated players not sure there's much else for us - I wouldn't go for James Trafford just because I would like an experienced keeper in for once. Adebayo could be an option up front 10 goals in a poor Luton team isn't bad, but something tells me there is a better option out there. 

Or what about Marvelous Nakamba from Luton?

It's going to be an interesting summer for sure, like last summer, but we're in a much better position this time around.

I think there has to be a bit of ruthlessness from us this summer. The same ruthlessness we showed Sharp, Hammond, Chaplow, Hooiveld, K. Davis (after a shaky start), etc... in 2012 if we want to compete again.

I think we have to say our thanks and move on from McCarthy, which I don't think is too controversial. Once player of the season, played a good part over the last few weeks, a good servant of the club, and it's now time to part ways on a high. I have similar feelings regarding Adams and S. Armstrong. I don't think we've had much say in keeping either with both of their decisions having been made, two good servants again, had some good moments, but we need to aim higher now. Thank them both for their contributions and move on.

The loans, keeping Downes needs to be top priority. Essential to Martin's tactics and makes us tick. Unfortunately I think with West Ham's managerial change and with him being a West Ham fan who might want to prove himself there still that it could be one that gets drawn out. Good to secure Harwood-Bellis, but feel as though he needs a Fonte next to him, and no I don't mean Fonte himself. Joe Rothwell is obviously not being kept on. Thank you for the goals against Huddersfield and Sunderland, but I'm not sure what he actually is as a player. Other than those goals he was anonymous in open play. Brooks and Fraser are a bit more difficult. Brooks was a once highly rated player and played very well against West Brom in the second leg and had some other good moments, but a lot of his time at Saints has been a bit underwhelming giving his reputation. I think Bournemouth want him back anyway. Fraser, had a really good purple patch and has done a job as a left wing back, in the last couple of games. I just think he's lacking a bit technically and when his pace goes, which is already on the wane then he will struggle, especially at Premier League level. Probably needs to explore his options, leaves a fan favourite.

Sell Sulemana and Mara, they had their chance to prove they were good enough in the Championship, they weren't, so they don't get those chances in the Premier League. Sell Onuachu to the highest bidder, hopefully Caleta-Car has an agreed fee, which I've seen a few times. Sell Lyanco and Perraud, the latter is thought of highly, but we went from Bertrand to him, we can do better. I wonder if Bella-Kotchap will come crawling back now we're in the Premier League. Some talent there, but he's a sicknote and wanted nothing to do with us in the Championship.

This could actually be the summer we reset and we've got the financial power to do so now. We just need to spend the money well and wisely, on quality. This season again we had a very large squad, larger than it needed to be, we need to go for quality rather than quantity.

If we keep the formation we've been playing recently, then:

New GK

Harwood-Bellis - New CB - Bednarek

KWP (Please get him signed up a new contract)                                        New LWB

Downes (Hopefully)

Two new CMS, replacing Smallbone and Aribo, who are two squad options, not starters

Adam Armstrong - New ST

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Would be a good laugh to try and get through a premier league season with Mara  , Tall Paul and Loch Ness Drogba as a front three. 

2 hours ago, Challenger said:

Indeed, the " see how we go with what we got " philosophy will result in a worse outcome than our last Prem season and quickly wipe out all the efforts since then.

Luton didn't bring in many players and looked like a real Championship side. Burnley signed more players but were all pretty average so it works both ways. The recruitment has to be spot on. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Lavia back on loan would be perfect 

Good idea. We’ll need someone to take up a position in the treatment room if Stewart recovers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

29 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Technically THB is our first signing.

If we hadn't been promoted I'd have probably taken Lallana but as a PL team? No thank you.

Yes, could see some merit in the Championship, and even then a squad player. PL, not so sure given his limited contribution to Brighton this season. 

Lallana, Broja and Ings incoming 

Ward Prowse on loan 

Big Ronnie Edwards at the back 

Couple of man city lads that Mcate mush or whatever he is called 

Transfer window sorted it! 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Ward Prowse on loan 

Am fuckin glad you aren't in charge of our recruitment

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Ward Prowse on loan 

And where does Wayne Bridge fit into this masterplan?

• Haha 1

I can’t believe we’re going to spend much, & also think Martin will be happy with a few tweaks to the present bunch. 

Decent keeper, with AM as number 2. Baz on loan somewhere once fit again (preferably back to Pompey). 

left back. Jack, Manning & Bree good enough cover for both full back positions, hopefully KWP stays, but need left back. 

At centre half I’d see if Martin can get a tune out of ABK, don’t like the cunt but clean slate & all that. With THB & Janny B, with Jack, that 4 are pretty much our level. 

I thought Downes was a bit over rated, but he’s stepped up lately. However, why do West Ham want rid (if they do), and why does he keep suffering spells out. The jury is out for me, as Smallbone, him & Charles does seem a bit weak in that department. I wouldn’t actually be adverse to keeping Rothwell as a squad player, despite his lack of impact this season. He does offer something a bit different than the others especially with Stu leaving. . I’d sign Frasier, but fuck Brookes off. This is one area that worries me, because of the way we play, we need a technical player. Technical players that can also compete, are pretty much out of our league. Lavia on loan, great shout. 

Up top, we’ve just got to hope Stewart comes good because I can’t really see us spending big enough to guarantee goals. AA may chip in with half a dozen if we’re lucky and one thing for sure, we won’t miss Che Adams appalling finishing. Talk of Ings is fucking stupid,  the only West Ham forward I’d be interested in is Antonio, if the new man doesn’t fancy him. It’s really hard to get a forward in. I’ve always like  Raúl Jiménez, whose now floating around our level and is technically good for a bigger fella. If Bamford wasn’t injury prone, he’d fit our system as well. We’ll  probably  end up with a loan or a Carlos kick a ball we’re hoping would come good. 

Id fuck Sullemana off, but give Edozie one last chance. You can’t keep being “promising”, you have to deliver eventually. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

And where does Wayne Bridge fit into this masterplan?

Him and Rudi Skacel are going to interchange on the left, putting crosses in to Onuachu to nod down for Kevin Phillips.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I’m not sure that logic follows. It’s a bit like saying, “short term the house is on fire, so covering the furniture in petrol is fine.”

We will need better players than those mentioned to be starting for us next season.

It’s more a case of saying the kitchen is functional(so short term a massively expensive upgrade) isn’t a priority when there’s holes in the roof and no shower. 
some people seem to be acting like we’re still a top 10 team rather than a newly promoted bournemouth/forest who’s primary aim immediately will be to survive. 

Quite surreal that 24 hours ago we could be writing up what was needed to manage a tighter budget in championship!

For my part here is what I would try and do:

Retain……Baz, McCarthy, Lis, KWP, Bednarek, THB, Stephens, Aribo, Smallbone, Alcaraz, Edozie, A Armstrong, Adams, Stewart

Loan out…..Larios, Meghoma, Charles, Diblin, SAA, Ballard

Sell/Release....Lumley, Bree, Manning,  DCC, ABK, Lyanco, Perraud, S Armstrong, Kamaldeen, Mara, Tall Paul

Loan in….Brooks

Buy….Downes, Fraser, new goalkeeper, new right back, new left back, new centre back, two holding midfielders, new ten, two new strikers

That is nine new faces as three have been with us this season.  I think we signed six when last promoted, Forest and Fulham in recent years have brought in about 20.  When you are reminded of the loans out and loans in, there is a lot of work needed.  

The goalkeepers numbers may look heavy, but I have written off Baz for the season and you need three fit keepers at all times.  I see some of the retained players, such as McCarthy, Stephens, Aribo, Adams, Fraser as squad players who bring experience but unlikely to start many.

• Like 1

Can anyone explain why we gave Lumley a contract despite us picking McCarthy to play?  Perhaps McCarthy had already made his mind up to leave and they didn't want to be left short. Perhaps McCarthy's wage demands were too high for a back up.  

Two ends of the spectrum. It could have been:

New keeper, Baz, McCarthy, Wright

It might be: Baz, Lumley, Lis, Wright

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

Luton didn't bring in many players and looked like a real Championship side. Burnley signed more players but were all pretty average so it works both ways. The recruitment has to be spot on. 

Luton suffered with injuries to many of their better performers in the new year and didn't have players that could step up straight away.  Burnley used the scattergun technique to recruitment and Sheffield United shot themselves before the season started by selling their top scorer and the upheaval behind the scenes with the owners.

Hopefully Saints get the few that will complement the current squad especially in midfield with Downes returning and how the side suffered in his absence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Sessenon is going to be released too, wouldn't be to shabby as a decent wing back option. 

Decent shout that. Picking up these genuinely talented young players that haven't quite made it at the big clubs might be a good idea. i guess the only concern would be if their confidence has been savagely dented. We need to sign technically gifted players and they don't come cheap and the Man City youth team has been areal mixed bag.

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

We badly need a Downes replacement in that scenario. Without one we are screwed if he can't play. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chez said:

Decent shout that. Picking up these genuinely talented young players that haven't quite made it at the big clubs might be a good idea. 

KWP is a great example of that.

• Like 2

We need to be ruthless. I thought it was interesting that RM said they’d do everything to keep Stu Armstrong, Che Adams and Alex McCarthy. 
Stu I’d keep. But Adams has had all season to sign and has stalled at every attempt, this needs to be taken away from him now. McCarthy just isn’t good enough, we need an upgrade on Bazunu and AM has already proved countless times that he ain’t it.

• Like 2

I'd keep Che if Mara and Onuachu are going (seems like they will?)

Stu is a tough one, he may well want to go of his own accord and Lallana would be a fairly like-for-like replacement in terms of the game time he could get in the PL

Downes obviously needs signing

KWP needs a new deal

Fraser I would keep around - just about

McCarthy I'd let go - but with the best of wishes

Perraud I'd get rid of, purely because Manning will be the back-up left back

ABK's stock is low, he could get another chance

I'd take £10m for Sulemana

Larios out on loan

Charles out on loan? Edozie out on loan? SAA and Meghoma out on loan?

In other words, we need another big turnover and we've got to be smarter than last time

• Like 3

🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼 sports republic no experiments with kids. Bring in players of experience that know the premier league. Add Downes and Frazer to the THB loan to perm deals, we could also do a lot worse than Matip on a free. 

a new keeper is an absolute priority. Sorry Bazunu but you’re just not good enough. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Can anyone explain why we gave Lumley a contract despite us picking McCarthy to play?  Perhaps McCarthy had already made his mind up to leave and they didn't want to be left short. Perhaps McCarthy's wage demands were too high for a back up.  

Lumley is a reasonable enough, low budget, third choice keeper and no worse than Cropper or Forecast have been in that role in the past. He’ll probably only play a handful of cup games against lower league sides next season and even that’s only because Baz will be injured. McC’s wages are too high for that role and judging by this season it’s been a bit too costly to even have him in the squad at all.

• Like 1

I want quality not quantity this summer although you could argue we need both. Whilst I'm concerned about our current team in the Prem, I do think there will be first choice players coming in. That said a lot of it depends on whether we can offload the players that are out on loan. What we do know is we need to recruit well, something we've been iffy with of late.

For me, I would like to see the squad something like this: (this is just my thoughts)

GK - New first choice (someone Baz can compete with when he's fit again). A good GK is now the priority. I hope we don't intend to bring Lis in as first choice, despite his apparently decent season at Goztepe, although as a back up I wouldn't be against it. That would leave us with: NEW GK, Bazunu, Lumley/Lis.

RB - Obviously we need to keep KWP as replacing him with anything as close to as good as him would be very difficult. Bree as back up is Ok in my book. RB is fine as it is.

LB - New first choice is a no brainer here. We cannot rely on Manning in the Prem though he'd do a job as back up/wing back. Larios? Who knows whether he'll be fit or whether he's even good enough. We've only seen fleeting glimpses of him (although when he did play I was impressed by his speed). Meghoma is promising but will probably be loaned out. Perraud? I know some Saints fans would give him a chance but after being loaned out I don't think he has a future here. He'd be the cheap option to keep in place of signing someone but I'd rather we replaced him with better. Jake Vokins... haha yes he's still here. He's out. So it would be New LB and Manning. 

CB - New first choice* - now we have just signed THB and Bednarek is impressing so I'm not so confident this will occur. I think we keep Stephens for 4th choice. Obviously we have ABK and DCC still on the books - I think DCC will probably go (I read the Lyon forum - after translating it - and they really like him and want him to stay). ABK is a strange one - he looked good at times in the Prem, is still young too and was courted by bigger teams but seemed to have a lot of injury problems. *IF we keep ABK, I think that will be the cost saving option of not bringing in a new CB, in favour of other positions. Personally I DO hope we bring in another CB even if we keep ABK but then I'm just greedy. I think spending the £20 million on THB will be an issue with bringing a new CB in, even if we did budget it in advance. So THB, Bednarek, Stephens, ABK it may be with Lawrence coming through. I can't see Lyanco coming back either. A lot depends on whether we are going to continue playing 3 at the back too. IF that's the case you could argue we need 5 CBs not 4 (although I'm aware Charles can play there). 

DM - DOWNES on a permanent please OR New First Choice, Downes is so key to the way we play and I think he's a Premier League quality player. Will he want to leave his boyhood club permanently? He seems happy here under Martin. If not? We need a midfield enforcer but someone a bit more like Schneiderlin than Wanyama, someone who can play. I think we're going to have to accept Charles is second choice here. So Downes/New DM and Charles. (Greedy me would like all three of those!)

CM - New CM definitely needed. Question marks over Armstrong's future, question marks over whether Aribo and Smallbone can cut it at the higher level - we need at least one new CM if not 2. A CM that can also play DM would be nice - and I do think we lack a playmaker that can unlock defences (although Smallbone did a great job of that yesterday!) unless Alcaraz can be that man. I think Alcaraz will be back, just a hunch. So it's be New CM, Alcaraz, Smallbone, Aribo. (Possibly one more?)

Wingers/AM - New first choice left sided - Ok it's getting difficult now! Will we keep Wee Man? Probably as a cheap squad option as Martin's mate. Sulemana? Depends if we can offload him. I doubt it but you never know. He'll be the Djenepo of our last Premier League campaign if he stays, used fleetingly because it doesn't look like he'll reach his potential. Edozie? Fine as a squad option. Brooks? I'd sign him if we could, I know he has his doubters but there's a talented player in there. I'd send SAA out on loan but I'd keep Dibling in and around the squad. So New first choice, Fraser, Brooks, Edozie, Sulemana and Dibling. Good enough? 

Striker - New first or second choice - Will Ross be our first choice in the Prem? Can we rely on him to be fit? I think a lot depends on whether Adams stays or goes but I suspect he'll leave for pastures new. Mara is another difficult one - do we ship him out? Could we ship him out? Either way we also have AA who has more than earned his spot in the team next season, whether it's wide or up front. So it's: New Str, Stewart, AA.

So GK (the most important right now), LB, Downes or new DM, New CM (or even 2), New left sided winger/AM, and a new striker. 6/7 new players needed. I don't think we'll bring in that many though, just a hunch. I think a lot depends on whether we can ship out players first. At the very least I want to see a GK, LB, Striker and Downes come in and I'd be somewhat happy but I fear we need more.

A first choice team of New GK, KWP, THB, Bednarek, New LB, Smallbone, Downes, New CM, AA, Ross, New LW wouldn't be a bad start to the season for starters with some money left for the January window just in case.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chez said:

I think the Lumley contract was simply a case of if we stay down we have a backup keeper we have confidence in, if we go up he can be second choice (until Baz is fit) and he's on very, very low wages by Prem standards and can be released after a season if we stay up.

Basically...

If we let him go we need to find a new number one AND number two keeper. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CamSaint said:

KWP is a great example of that.

spot on and I guess Bertrand and Romeu fall into that category. The issue these days is that the Chelsea cast offs are all on £100k a week.