Master Bates

7 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Agreed. I'd still like us to sign a new keeper, but a team of;

McCarthy 

Livramento Bednarek ABK Perraud

JWP Diallo? 

Djenepo Alcaraz Edozie

Mara

Would do very well in the championship. Preferably with new signings to replace Diallo and McCarthy.

Let’s hope not 

18 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Agreed. I'd still like us to sign a new keeper, but a team of;

McCarthy 

Livramento Bednarek ABK Perraud

JWP Diallo? 

Djenepo Alcaraz Edozie

Mara

Would do very well in the championship. Preferably with new signings to replace Diallo and McCarthy.

Seen nothing to suggest Mara would do very well in the Championship. He's been a very poor signing and has often been a passenger when he's been on the pitch. 

I'd try and keep Armstrong and Adams up front in the champ. Forget their prem form, they know their way around the champ and have proven themselves in there.

If we keep them then we should have some real cutting edge in that league.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Cabrone said:

I'd try and keep Armstrong and Adams up front in the champ. Forget their prem form, they know their way around the champ and have proven themselves in there.

If we keep them then we should have some real cutting edge in that league.

No chance we keep Adams, he will have PL takers who will actually use him correctly.

Armstrong I'd hope will be one of the first out of the door, he's stunk this place out for 2 years. It's got to the point where I couldn't care less what he's done (one season by the way) in the Champ before, he's a busted flush here and needs a fresh start for the sake of everyone. If we try and prolong him next year it will only end one way for both.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

No chance we keep Adams, he will have PL takers who will actually use him correctly.

Armstrong I'd hope will be one of the first out of the door, he's stunk this place out for 2 years. It's got to the point where I couldn't care less what he's done (one season by the way) in the Champ before, he's a busted flush here and needs a fresh start for the sake of everyone. If we try and prolong him next year it will only end one way for both.

We are probably at the point where we can break even on Armstrong, with what we probably owe at this point of his contract.

Just the wages 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Archers Road Stand said:

Seen nothing to suggest Mara would do very well in the Championship. He's been a very poor signing and has often been a passenger when he's been on the pitch. 

Different leagues though, AA in a long line of strikers scoring loads at Champ level and disappearing at PL. Rhodes and Billy Sharp scored millions at that level, Billy at least had a couple of seasons as a PL squad player for Sheffield Utd and still would have been better than Mayuka, but wasn’t really regular PL starter calibre. Mara’s first season and whilst it looks like the club had their pants pulled down at over £10m, he has some pace and ability in the air, some handy cameos, if he can finish he could be a surprise package. Equally, he may disappear. Did any of us think Tella would be Champ player of the season?

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Different leagues though, AA in a long line of strikers scoring loads at Champ level and disappearing at PL. 

As was pointed out, it was one season. People like Sharp scored regularly at that level and for different clubs. 

1 hour ago, saint1977 said:

Different leagues though, AA in a long line of strikers scoring loads at Champ level and disappearing at PL. Rhodes and Billy Sharp scored millions at that level, Billy at least had a couple of seasons as a PL squad player for Sheffield Utd and still would have been better than Mayuka, but wasn’t really regular PL starter calibre. Mara’s first season and whilst it looks like the club had their pants pulled down at over £10m, he has some pace and ability in the air, some handy cameos, if he can finish he could be a surprise package. Equally, he may disappear. Did any of us think Tella would be Champ player of the season?

I think Maras build may work well for a championship striker. for AA he’s struggled against league one teams in the cup, and overall has no ability. His 28 goals for blackburn is tempting but he is very very very very very bad.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Alcaraz will hopefully stay and I'd like Adams for the Championship but he will have his suitors and probably go. As for AA, this guy is truly useless. Against Lincoln he was the worst player on the pitch and i don't buy in to this thought process that he's good in the premiership. Lose him, keep Alcaraz & Sulemana, maybe Tella and find a striker or two. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

How many clubs in the PL play a formation that suits Adams? His best hope is a current relegation battler or a promoted team, even then you'd be underwhelmed if hes signing for you given his shite goal return for us. Better strikers have got relegated and not attracted any interest. 

Edited by Archers Road Stand
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Archers Road Stand said:

He impressed me in the Newcastle cup game at home, looking like a player capable of leading a line on his own. His finish against City gave me hope too. 

I'm hoping for a Solanke style reboot in the championship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chez said:

He impressed me in the Newcastle cup game at home, looking like a player capable of leading a line on his own. His finish against City gave me hope too. 

I'm hoping for a Solanke style reboot in the championship.

Rebooot?

Has he ever been good?

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Is that just league? If So 13 goal contributions in a team that has only scored 28 all season. 

I think that is his entire career to date..

Mara has 2 goals this season.  Going to re-boot us back to the premier league, you watch

Edited by AlexLaw76

52 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I think that is his entire career to date..

Mara has 2 goals this season.  Going to re-boot us back to the premier league, you watch

I actually think there is a decent player in Mara, he’s show moments of quality. His through ball for the goal against Leeds at the start of the season, finish against Man City, it can’t be easy being a young kids playing for a team as shit as us, not ever getting a decent run in the side because we like our attacking players to stop in the opposition not attack ourselves. Plus have two of the worst managers of all time telling your what to do. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I actually think there is a decent player in Mara, he’s show moments of quality. His through ball for the goal against Leeds at the start of the season, finish against Man City, it can’t be easy being a young kids playing for a team as shit as us, not ever getting a decent run in the side because we like our attacking players to stop in the opposition not attack ourselves. Plus have two of the worst managers of all time telling your what to do. 

Plus the flick through for Stu Armstrong’s goal against Arsenal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Rebooot?

Has he ever been good?

as in Solanke didn't cut it the Prem, scoring 3 goals as Bournemouth went down, before finding his feet scoring 15 and then 29 goals in their promotion season. Going down gives young players that little extra time to learn their trade/get their confidence back - not that Mara looks like he has list his, despite the managers showing little faith/patience in him. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Chez said:

as in Solanke didn't cut it the Prem, scoring 3 goals as Bournemouth went down, before finding his feet scoring 15 and then 29 goals in their promotion season. Going down gives young players that little extra time to learn their trade/get their confidence back - not that Mara looks like he has list his, despite the managers showing little faith/patience in him. 

Only got 6 goals this season though so it’s not like his now ripping up the premier league thanks to a couple of seasons in the championship 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Only got 6 goals this season though so it’s not like his now ripping up the premier league thanks to a couple of seasons in the championship 

Sure, my point was more along the lines of hopefully Mara can find the championship to his liking, as Solanke appeared to. 

• Like 2

He will do really well in the Championship next season if we can keep hold of him.

I'm not an avid watcher of the division (for now) and admittedly is a small sample size but I couldn't believe the space both teams offered each other in the Blackburn/Millwall game.

Alcaraz would lap that up. Could be a big player for us next year. I'd actually be surprised if someone paid what I think we would ask for him so hopefully he's with us next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Nimbus said:

He will do really well in the Championship next season if we can keep hold of him.

I'm not an avid watcher of the division (for now) and admittedly is a small sample size but I couldn't believe the space both teams offered each other in the Blackburn/Millwall game.

Alcaraz would lap that up. Could be a big player for us next year. I'd actually be surprised if someone paid what I think we would ask for him so hopefully he's with us next year.

the advantage we have (in terms of keeping players) is that as a side we have played so poorly, so even our decent players haven't looked fantastic and the January signings (specifically Sulemana and Alcaraz) haven't had enough time/minutes to really prove they are worth a sizeable transfer fee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Nimbus said:

Yep, I watched that game. The first I’ve seen of the championship since we’ve been there, in all honesty. 

I can see how AA got so many goals, made our defence look like Maldini. 

Alcarez looked a lot better than tall Paul when I saw him play, yet selles refused to play him again something must have happened behind closed doors either that or selles is a clueless idiot when it comes to picking a team 

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Alcarez looked a lot better than tall Paul when I saw him play, yet selles refused to play him again something must have happened behind closed doors either that or selles is a clueless idiot when it comes to picking a team 

Eh? Alcaraz has been starting. 

• Like 1

Last post today, but my reading of Alcaraz not playing was he was being protected from over-playing when he arrived and is now starting and playing more minutes. There are no bad attitude vibes I can see; on the contrary an enthusiasm which tires him out prematurely.

I do hope we keep him.

• Like 1

On 09/05/2023 at 09:51, Mr Nimbus said:

He'd be as influential, if not more so, than Lallana. Hopefully we sign a decent striker to compliment him like Lambert

• 4 weeks later...

Apparent quotes from ESPN Argentina -

"To be honest I leave all of that [my future] to my agent. I always try to give my best wherever I go, whether it's in this club or in other country. I know there are a few clubs interested in me, but the truth is, I'm currently very happy at Southampton.

Now I'm enjoying my vacation with my family. In July, we'll see what happens. If I have to remain at Southampton, I will, as they were the club that first opened the doors for me and gave me the chance to play in the Premier League.

‘Southampton It's a beautiful club that has always treated me well. So if I have to stay,  I’ll do my very best to come back to the Premier League.’’

• Like 2

I'm more encouraged by that than not, tbh. Especially after Ankersen's comment that we've brought in some talented players who we intend to keep. I'm assuming that Alcaraz is one of those, given he singled him out as having been a success.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

I'm more encouraged by that than not, tbh. Especially after Ankersen's comment that we've brought in some talented players who we intend to keep. I'm assuming that Alcaraz is one of those, given he singled him out as having been a success.

Completely agree. Not sure how anyone could read that quote and feel bad about it, especially given the SR comments you've mentioned.

Edited by Saint Matty 76

All parties will have an understanding that he moves on when the right offer comes in, and that we're a club looking to provide a pathway to bigger clubs.

So, he's open enough about a move, but if it's not this summer is happy enough to wait.

It's a statement that reminds clubs that there's interest, while making it clear he's not being dragged kicking and screaming to us next season. He kept the right balance in there.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Carlos Alcaraz