Valenciennes

Tommy Mulgrew

10 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Fred will be livid they aren't top.

I am livid because if this great trend continues it might give SR the idea to switch coach with SFC and take our Wizard Ben Chorley away to do his magic with you guys! I must admit that this great start takes me back to the 80s, in the old stadium, when I was young and innocent, chanting like there was no tomorrow.

Edited by FredVaFC59100
  • Like 6

When SR allows Southampton to move up a division in season 2 of governance, When SR allows Goztepe to move up a division in season 2 of governance, how can we not believe that the scenario will be repeated here at Valenciennes?

I'm confident for this season, even if we'll have to fight for every match, but with the team and the collective that's gradually starting to come together, it could be really interesting!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

When SR allows Southampton to move up a division in season 2 of governance, When SR allows Goztepe to move up a division in season 2 of governance, how can we not believe that the scenario will be repeated here at Valenciennes?

I'm confident for this season, even if we'll have to fight for every match, but with the team and the collective that's gradually starting to come together, it could be really interesting!

Let's not get too carried away!  We do't know what season 3 is going to deliver yet!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

What’s Oyewusi like, Christophe?

I thought SR wanted consistency in term of play across their teams; so I don't understand why we don't play Russball. Could it be that they really really want us back in Ligue 2 ? Christophe, please inquire the VP on your next trip to SR's capital city.

Of course, we've had a good start to the season, and we're delighted to see a team fighting for its colours, and I think the momentum will only continue in that direction.

So let's get on with it this Friday, when we welcome Chateauroux to the Stade du Hainaut!

• Like 1

Tonight, for those watching the match, you will see above the supporters' stand a large tarpaulin put up this season with the following message: “Proud of our land, proud of our club, proud of our history”.

As the upper part of the stadium is not open to the public this season (for the time being), the club has decided to put up this 128 metre long and 8 metre high tarpaulin with the help of the supporters.

How did VA fans dress up the Nungesser stand? va-fc.com

f5b1fd60-51b0-40d6-b442-863488aa0ff7.jpeg.06201c2d61bd7d2e37806f905f973d0d.jpeg

Edited by ChristopheVAFC
  • Like 5

Hello everyone.

First of all, getting 9 points out of 9 has been something that hasn't happened to us for years - I can't even remember when!

We couldn't have wished for a better start!

All the same, we remain lucid and humble, as the championship has only just begun.

For several years now, I can assure you that we've lost matches like this, but what strength of character!

Friends, we're enjoying this new lease of life, it's crazy, so is this happiness?

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

Hello everyone.

First of all, getting 9 points out of 9 has been something that hasn't happened to us for years - I can't even remember when!

We couldn't have wished for a better start!

All the same, we remain lucid and humble, as the championship has only just begun.

For several years now, I can assure you that we've lost matches like this, but what strength of character!

Friends, we're enjoying this new lease of life, it's crazy, so is this happiness?

It’s great when you come out of the constant loosing into the winning more often than not. 

On 14/04/2024 at 08:31, Convict Colony said:

Give the players who are staying the chance and with younger players for these last games.

As I said above, you will be the real madrid and psg of the 3rd division and will win most weekends and you will remember football is fun again 

Bon chance.

as i said back in april, this is the season of being awesome.

Great win this weekend

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

Hello everyone.

Match day for Valenciennes with a trip to Rouen (Normandy), 3 buses are on the trip (3 hour drive) plus a few cars, we will be around 250 supporters (the stand has 700 seats).

Kick-off 18:00 French time

Live on Youtube: Rouen - Valenciennes

The aim is to continue picking up points.

Allez VA! ❤️🤍

Allez VA!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

Hello everyone.

Match day for Valenciennes with a trip to Rouen (Normandy), 3 buses are on the trip (3 hour drive) plus a few cars, we will be around 250 supporters (the stand has 700 seats).

Kick-off 18:00 French time

Live on Youtube: Rouen - Valenciennes

The aim is to continue picking up points.

Allez VA! ❤️🤍

Bon chance VA!

• Like 1

National : entre Valenciennes et Concarneau, deux relégations pas la même ambition - La Voix du Nord

National: Valenciennes and Concarneau, two relegated sides with different ambitions

VAFC face their first test on Friday at Le Hainaut (7.30pm) against another Ligue 2 relegation zone side. Both clubs have taken the same lift, but the ambition to climb back up the table immediately is much more pronounced in the north than in Brittany.

Having returned to the National Championship twenty years after being relegated, VA have never hidden the fact that they will be doing everything in their power to avoid staying there forever. This was stated as early as April at the time of the relegation and has been repeated by the management and then the sporting staff ever since. ‘It's an anomaly that VA are in the National,’ Ahmed Kantari told La Voix des Sports at the start of the season. ‘We're going to do everything we can to put the club back where it belongs,’ added Julien Masson, confirming the club's ambition.

After all the talk, it's time for action, and VAFC have set to work, climbing the steps one by one to fulfil the mission they have set themselves. With 10 points from four games, the initial progress has been good, but there is still a long way to go. This clash with another relegated Ligue 2 side will tell us a little more about what VA have in their bellies, even if the Bretons have not made the top flight an obsession.

"The club realised that it wasn't quite ready for League 2 and lost more money than it made by always playing away from home."

Relegated at the end of their first season in L2, Concarneau paid dearly for not being able to play in their substandard stadium. ‘The club realised that it wasn't quite ready for Ligue 2 and lost more money than it made by always playing away,’ explains Dylan Le Mee, a journalist at Ouest-France. Forced into exile by Lorient, Guingamp, Brest, Caen and Rennes in order to play at home, the Thoniers have not experienced their descent into the National as a catastrophe.

"Avoiding the drop"

Back in their historic stadium, with a new coach - Stéphane Rossi - used to performing at this level, a squad 80% renewed and many players taken from the N2, Concarneau are giving themselves time: ‘The objective is first to stay up, to avoid going down,’ says Dylan Le Mee. But if they can go up, they won't deprive themselves. Their good start (4th) has already made the Bretons a first hurdle on the long road to Valenciennes.

• Like 5

Very comfy first 45 from a side clearly a step up. That's not to say there was a lack of effort in getting the goals. Some nice 1 touch passing going on, lots of options and movement. A decent mix of distribution from the back too. With the 3rd, there's a bit of control mode settling in. The visitors had a huddle on 7 mins after the second. While still leaving gaps, they also settled into not conceding more before half time. Valenciennes could seriously tire out their opponents playing this way. We'll see if that's what they choose in the second half.

• Like 2

VAFC doing a perfect Saints impression: three goals up before half-time, contrive to throw it all away, go into injury-time 3:2 up, concede a goal, which is then disallowed, and then give away a penalty in the eight minute of a seven-minute extra-time to draw 3:3.  That is taking SR team likeness to extremes.  VAFC and Saints - perfect partners.

Better luck next match, Christophe.

• Like 1

What an odd finish to the game. At 3-2 Valenciennes brought in the array of dark arts. Cynical fouls, time wasting, vanishing ball boys/girls, "injuries".

Concarneau had some touches in the penalty area, but the home side kept compact. Before proceeding to nearly give a goal away from a sloppy pass back.

Then they had a break of their own, only to blaze over from an excellent chance with the keeper already no where.

Giving the ball away from trying to run it into the corner, resulted in more Concarneau attacks. They got the ball into the net, only for it to be offside. Then, after the 7 mins we're up (remember all that time wasting) our SR pals gave away a clumsy penalty. With pretty much the last kick, conceded the equaliser.

When I nipped away, earlier in the half. Valenciennes had just missed a good chance for a 4th. I thought it hit the bar, or the keeper put it over from close range. They hit the post too.

So. I wonder what turned the game from that first half performance.

5 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

VAFC doing a perfect Saints impression: three goals up before half-time, contrive to throw it all away, go into injury-time 3:2 up, concede a goal, which is then disallowed, and then give away a penalty in the eight minute of a seven-minute extra-time to draw 3:3.  That is taking SR team likeness to extremes.  VAFC and Saints - perfect partners.

Better luck next match, Christophe.

So still unbeaten?