Che Adams - Official: Signs for Torino

TopGun

9 hours ago, trousers said:

His shortcomings contributed to us getting relegated and his strengths contributed to getting us promoted. Thanks for the good times Che and good luck at Torino 👍

Pretty spot on assessment to be fair.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Barsiem said:

biggest

11 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Good luck Che!  Always gave his all and had some great performances in his time here.  Basically his biggest problem is he's been our main striker when really he was only good enough to be our supporting one...  That ain't his fault though, and he doesn't deserve anything like the sh*t he's gotten on here over the years

100% correct in my view. He should have been a support striker to the main goal scorer which is the clubs fault not his. Che always grafted and brought other players into the game and was important to this year's promotion. Good luck in Italy Che

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jimmer42 said:

100% correct in my view. He should have been a support striker to the main goal scorer which is the clubs fault not his. Che always grafted and brought other players into the game and was important to this year's promotion. Good luck in Italy Che

Yeah, he was at his best when he played second striker to Ings. 

Gave his all, was a thorn for defenders over the years. However as someone put above, certainly part of the reason for our struggles in recent years.

As a club I thought we hung him out to dry in our last PL season. Everyone and their dog knew that he wasn't a consistent goal getter, he is a support striker who will do all the dirty and unselfish work for someone else to profit from (whilst also benefiting from a few goals himself). The club had it in their vision that he was our leading man for that season - hence we were relegated and got desperate in January for Onuachu.

It was often his movement and strength that got him into decent positions, but his finishing was just horrific when he had to think about it. It was the right time to part ways, it'll be interesting to see if another league is less forgiving/he gets more opportunities.

Wish him the best, but I'm glad the club get the chance to move on from this one.

Edited by S-Clarke

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Gave his all, was a thorn for defenders over the years. However as someone put above, certainly part of the reason for our struggles in recent years.

As a club I thought we hung him out to dry in our last PL season. Everyone and their dog knew that he wasn't a consistent goal getter, he is a support striker who will do all the dirty and unselfish work for someone else to profit from (whilst also benefiting from a few goals himself). The club had it in their vision that he was our leading man for that season - hence we were relegated and got desperate in January for Onuachu.

It was often his movement and strength that got him into decent positions, but his finishing was just horrific when he had to think about it. It was the right time to part ways, it'll be interesting to see if another league is less forgiving/he gets more opportunities.

Wish him the best, but I'm glad the club get the chance to move on from this one.

Agree with this. It’s a big shame that we invested £15m and he’s walked away for nothing. This is compounded by our £9m rising to £12m deal for Stewart as his replacement, who can’t stay fit. With FFP constraints, we haven’t made it easy for ourselves to legally fund the level of replacement we would all like to see. Perhaps a loan in this position will be the solution.

As long as Toro are buying him as a support striker for the work and disruptionhe does he'll do fine, but they'll be disappointed if they think they are buying a finisher. It'll only be the fans who expect more goals, I suspect.

2 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

As long as Toro are buying him as a support striker for the work and disruptionhe does he'll do fine, but they'll be disappointed if they think they are buying a finisher. It'll only be the fans who expect more goals, I suspect.

I think they have a definitive #9 called Zapata he can play off/with so it may be a nice marriage. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Agree with this. It’s a big shame that we invested £15m and he’s walked away for nothing. This is compounded by our £9m rising to £12m deal for Stewart as his replacement, who can’t stay fit. With FFP constraints, we haven’t made it easy for ourselves to legally fund the level of replacement we would all like to see. Perhaps a loan in this position will be the solution.

This is why I wouldn't be too worried if we blast most of our budget on O'Riley for example, as I genuinely don't believe we'd be able to afford what it takes to bring in a CF outright of the required level.

There will be lots of top strikers at big clubs who want to get a move at the end of the window. Look at Chelsea pricing Broja at £30m for e.g, absolutely no takers at that price, it might still come down...but the most obvious outcome for that one to me is that he's put up for loan at the end of the window. I'm not saying we go for Broja, just that there will be options for loans as we head towards Sept.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

That’s always going to be the case with a fixed term contract. On our books his value would have been zero now anyway.

6 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That’s always going to be the case with a fixed term contract. On our books his value would have been zero now anyway.

Yes, but we will have zero contribution to his replacement and those sales going straight into the allowable spend in full from an FFP perspective will be missed.

I suppose you win some, you lose some on the free transfers situation.

44 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Yes, but we will have zero contribution to his replacement and those sales going straight into the allowable spend in full from an FFP perspective will be missed.

The only way around that is to sell a player before his contract runs out.

• Like 1

Worked hard, put himself about, too often comical in front of goal.

The now legendary miss at Wolves remains one of the most incomprehensible things I’ve ever seen on a professional football pitch, while that goal against Man City was a belter when he didn’t have time to think about it. 

Been some real ups and downs. Time to draw a line under it. Good luck to him. 

• Like 3

Probably one of the best support strikers we have had, terrible as the main striker though.

As others have said Torino play with 2 up so assume he will be playing the support role and the serie a isnt known for high scoring games so assume they will be happy with him scoring 5 and assisting 5 this year.

Allot of harsh comments on Che.

In terms of effort, he always gives 100% and you cant really ask for more than that.

As an outlet, with his hold up play, he was one of the best, he did the dirty stuff well.

His link up play at times last season was superb, he was a big part of the way we played for the majority of the season.

We all know his finishing was his downfall, the miss against Middlesbrough and the miss against wolves immediately spring to mind and ultimately that's what he was judged on, however with the rest of his all round play, if he could hit the target more often, he wouldnt have stayed with us anyway, he'd be playing for a bigger club.

Good luck to him, I wish him well, he deserves more credit from us as a fan base but ultimately i'm excited to see who he could be replaced by. 

6 hours ago, warsash saint said:

Short memory!

You say that but it’s not really fair to compare him to the likes of Carillo who simply hardly played ..

honestly cant think of a player more likely to miss sitters then che .. Shane long was bad and che was like hold my beer 

7 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Apart from the £100+m he helped secure when we got promoted, but other than that you're right. Nothing.

14 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Apart from the £100+m he helped secure when we got promoted, but other than that you're right. Nothing.

That’s a fair comment, but was his poor finishing not a big contributor to us being in that position in the first place though?

12 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Thank goodness for that. Worst CF we've had ever!

Ridiculous comment he's not even in the top 5 worst strikers we've had.... We've had some real gash ones.... 

Thanks Che. 

Always worked hard. Feels like a good time to part ways as we need better in the PL. But I wish him well which is more than I can say for a lot of players from the relegation season.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

You say that but it’s not really fair to compare him to the likes of Carillo who simply hardly played ..

honestly cant think of a player more likely to miss sitters then che .. Shane long was bad and che was like hold my beer 

There was a good reason for that. He was completely shit.

Not sure if anyone actually offered any money for him last summer, but the 'decision' to keep him paid off. How many of his 15 goals were crucial, I'm not sure, but that is nitpicking. It was though an up and down season, but in short we looked worse without him, even when he played badly.

Personally I thought we should have sold him and reinvested, but I guess we spent anyway and that didn't pay off. Maybe that's a warning about grass being greener. Let's hope our next striker is fit enough to play now and then.

I was wondering if he was not on particularly good terms with the club during his last season with us after not signing a contract extension and preferring to move elsewhere rather than stay with us even after being promoted. I presume that an offer continued to be offered until the end? To my knowledge he has not had a club thank you post but I think I remember that Stuart Armstrong did? Please correct me if I’ve missed something.

28 minutes ago, M271 said:

I was wondering if he was not on particularly good terms with the club during his last season with us after not signing a contract extension and preferring to move elsewhere rather than stay with us even after being promoted. I presume that an offer continued to be offered until the end? To my knowledge he has not had a club thank you post but I think I remember that Stuart Armstrong did? Please correct me if I’ve missed something.

https://x.com/southamptonfc/status/1815652146907365490?s=46&t=f0hgNyKSvvOD5qjGLJhsXQ

• Like 1

Good luck to him.    For someone who grew up and played much of his early football in the Midlands, a change of environment might suit him

and there are worse places to play football than in Italy.    Whatever we may say about his scoring performances, he was never one to 

shrink from a tackle and took a lot of stick from big defenders whilst we were in the Prem.      Maybe a new team formation will benefit him.

ITALY ....well, It's not for the rest of his life, but it will give him new opportunities, and may even help up his games for Scotland.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

GUIDO-CARRILLO-e1597937729823.jpg

In his defence, ..we all baulk at the 20 million paid to Monaco for someone who just didn't fit into a side  struggling to keep one foot out of the drop zone.

No goals and just two assists wasn't much return of investment for the huge fee and he got virtually no support, or service from an already poor side.

Another case of a very bad buy by " The Board of the Day ", at the behest of a new manager wanting one of his old players, and fans expecting him the player

to hit the ground running and produce masses of goals.  Nothing glorious about that deal right from day 1.  

No-one at the club  remembered that deal ...when we went out and bought Onuachu. 

Che Adams just received a €1.5 Million signing on fee. Info C/O football Italia. 

He wanted €2M. 

He’s 28 and got a 3 year contract at €1.8M per season.

Which is about what he was on at saints. 

Plus performance related bonuses. 

Saints “ offer” would surely have been the same salary or more likely better than his championship salary.

Only issue I can see is length of contract - we may have offered only one or max two years extension, the €1.5M bung and the “ performance bonuses”.

We prob did not want to give him €2M, or even €1.5m. And maybe we were a bit tight on perf bonuses. 

BUT In other words Saints offer could not have been all that generous as was made out. Because if the figures I’ve seen quoted is what he accepted at Torino then we could easily have done that if we really wanted him. 
Apparently his transfermkt value as a Torino player on 3 year deal is now €15M. 
My ( cynical) guess is Torino hope he scores a few goals early doors then sell him back to the EPL for a nice profit at Xmas. 

4 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Physical strikers do very well in Serie A, he'll probably bang in 25 goals and get bought by Chelsea for £100million.

🤣🤣🤣 he probably won’t 🤣🤣🤣

4 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Great news! Awful in the PL. Never understood where this "puts in a shift" thing comes from either. One of the laziest players I've ever seen in a Saints shirt.

Seriously? You must be on the wind up? Lazy? Have you watched us recently? What the fuck do you think about Mara? 

55 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Che Adams just received a €1.5 Million signing on fee. Info C/O football Italia. 

He wanted €2M. 

He’s 28 and got a 3 year contract at €1.8M per season.

Which is about what he was on at saints. 

Plus performance related bonuses. 

Saints “ offer” would surely have been the same salary or more likely better than his championship salary.

Only issue I can see is length of contract - we may have offered only one or max two years extension, the €1.5M bung and the “ performance bonuses”.

We prob did not want to give him €2M, or even €1.5m. And maybe we were a bit tight on perf bonuses. 

BUT In other words Saints offer could not have been all that generous as was made out. Because if the figures I’ve seen quoted is what he accepted at Torino then we could easily have done that if we really wanted him. 
Apparently his transfermkt value as a Torino player on 3 year deal is now €15M. 
My ( cynical) guess is Torino hope he scores a few goals early doors then sell him back to the EPL for a nice profit at Xmas. 

The fact we made an offer at all was generous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Seriously? You must be on the wind up? Lazy? Have you watched us recently? What the fuck do you think about Mara? 

He's also incredibly lazy. And even shitter. But just because a is worse than b doesn't make b any better.

Adams just trots around the field looking half arsed. Not even convinced he likes football.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Che Adams - Official: Signs for Torino