Che Adams - Official: Signs for Torino

TopGun

8 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Fingers crossed, but he'd be mad to do anything before September 1st anyway.

Come on Che, we may not have an ice rink but West Quay is the business, and less likely to be raped through Hoglands at night these days.

Win/Win

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I don’t think a deal with Everton can be met. They cannot find the asking amount, I think they are pretty screwed and cannot make any signing, because of the cash situation. Looks like they are going to switch to a few loans instead. 

Take it with a pinch of salt, but heard from a long standing and suffering Everton season ticket holder. 

His words “we need shooting to be put out of our misery” seems really downbeat about this season. I did say to him at the end of last season that they would be fine now that they have stayed up, and have a new ground coming. The preseason to get sorted. He was having none of this back in June and even then said they need a complete takeover and strip down top to bottom, or they will struggle again this season. 

Sounded even more bleak when talking to him today. 

17 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

I don’t think a deal with Everton can be met. They cannot find the asking amount, I think they are pretty screwed and cannot make any signing, because of the cash situation. Looks like they are going to switch to a few loans instead. 

Take it with a pinch of salt, but heard from a long standing and suffering Everton season ticket holder. 

His words “we need shooting to be put out of our misery” seems really downbeat about this season. I did say to him at the end of last season that they would be fine now that they have stayed up, and have a new ground coming. The preseason to get sorted. He was having none of this back in June and even then said they need a complete takeover and strip down top to bottom, or they will struggle again this season. 

Sounded even more bleak when talking to him today. 

Makes me wonder why they are even bothering to waste Udinese's time, they want £40m for Beto.

Probably just club propaganda to appease their toxic fanbase.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Midfield_General said:

Ah yes, Brandon Williams.

Surely up there for the title of player linked with us the most times whilst never actually signing. 

Who would the other competitors for that crown be? 

Mido. We seemed to be linked with him forever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Ah yes, Brandon Williams.

Surely up there for the title of player linked with us the most times whilst never actually signing. 

Who would the other competitors for that crown be? 

Title of “Most overrated player to leave the United academy in recent years that still thinks he’s world class” 😂

(heard he’s a bit of an arrogant twat)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Title of “Most overrated player to leave the United academy in recent years that still thinks he’s world class” 😂

(heard he’s a bit of an arrogant twat)

Poor fucker is surely a shoe in for being diagnosed with Vestergaard-Hoedt syndrome. ☹️

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Makes me wonder why they are even bothering to waste Udinese's time, they want £40m for Beto.

Probably just club propaganda to appease their toxic fanbase.

I read £30m, but it matters little if they can't find £5m for the first installment for Che, as you'd assume Udinese would want more than that for their first installment. Or maybe they don't?

14 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Doubt Saints would have put a.new contract on the table unless they had good vibes that he would sign it. But confusingly Holgate loan (medical today) sounds like it could be a sweetener for deal.

You're clearly underestimating this club. We spend window upon windows chasing players with no interest in coming here. 

Spoiler - Che isn't signing a new deal. He didn't when we were in the PL (which you' expect to be a better deal), he isn't now. He wants out. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Doubt Saints would have put a.new contract on the table unless they had good vibes that he would sign it. But confusingly Holgate loan (medical today) sounds like it could be a sweetener for deal.

Martin has got himself on a hook by putting his name to this alleged new contract offer. Most PL clubs are not stupid, Adams was the main striker for the team that ended up bottom of the PL last season. That surely tells them something and likely giving them very serious pause for thought. For clubs likely to be in the relegation fight this season signing Adams and relying on him to come up trumps with 20 goals would be a huge gamble and it is looking increasingly unlikely that any of them are prepared to take that level of risk.

If he stays, gets an attractive new contract and then ends up scoring only 5 goals all season for us then Martin's judgement will be under serious scrutiny and we could be stuck with another player that isn't good enough and nobody else wants. At least if he stays without a new contract and he doesn't deliver this season we can get rid next.

Of course the new contract offer could be all bluff and bluster to pacify fans, with no new striker even on the horizon let alone heading into port.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

There seems to be confusion as to when the new contract was offered. From what I've read it was at the start of the close season and the recent 'news' from the Echo is merely the fact that the offer is still on the table. Whether Adams will change his mind and decide to sign it I guess depends on what offers come in for him. If only Everton are interested I can see him signing a new contract with us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Martin has got himself on a hook by putting his name to this alleged new contract offer. Most PL clubs are not stupid, Adams was the main striker for the team that ended up bottom of the PL last season. That surely tells them something and likely giving them very serious pause for thought. For clubs likely to be in the relegation fight this season signing Adams and relying on him to come up trumps with 20 goals would be a huge gamble and it is looking increasingly unlikely that any of them are prepared to take that level of risk.

If he stays, gets an attractive new contract and then ends up scoring only 5 goals all season for us then Martin's judgement will be under serious scrutiny and we could be stuck with another player that isn't good enough and nobody else wants. At least if he stays without a new contract and he doesn't deliver this season we can get rid next.

Of course the new contract offer could be all bluff and bluster to pacify fans, with no new striker even on the horizon let alone heading into port.

He’s being open but whatever he says is likely to be reinterpreted , he wasn’t at Saints when the contract was allegedly offered plus he may give Adams a better view of his future at Saints etc.

• Like 2

Russell Martin on Ché Adams:

'The conversation is ongoing. The one thing I am 100 per cent sure of is the character of Ché and how good a professional he is. I really hope we can continue with him, we've rejected a couple of bids - one recently and one a couple of weeks ago - and we have offered him a new contract. There's not a bid on the table that meets the club's valuation, so nothing will change from us. It will be down to how Ché feels about it. As it stands, the situation has not changed and he'll be in the team tomorrow and if he isn't it's because something developed in these 24 hours.'

Finished by saying that he hopes Ché is giving the new contract some proper thought because despite gripes he may have with previous regimes at the club, it's a different chapter now and he's somebody that is really valued as a player and as a person.

Edited by CSA96

51 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

'The conversation is ongoing. The one thing I am 100 per cent sure of is the character of Ché and how good a professional he is. I really hope we can continue with him, we've rejected a couple of bids - one recently and one a couple of weeks ago - and we have offered him a new contract. There's not a bid on the table that meets the club's valuation, so nothing will change from us. It will be down to how Ché feels about it. As it stands, the situation has not changed and he'll be in the team tomorrow and if he isn't it's because something developed in these 24 hours.'

Finished by saying that he hopes Ché is giving the new contract some proper thought because despite gripes he may have with previous regimes at the club, it's a different chapter now and he's somebody that is really valued as a player and as a person.

This is a fair point - Clearly something is working for Che under Martin, he's scored 3 in 3. If true that we've offered him vice captaincy, he's not getting that amount of support anywhere else. 

Red and white glasses on, I think Che could be wise to stick around, even if its just for the season and re-assess. He'd only be moving to a club which is no a great deal different to us anyway. 

4 hours ago, saintant said:

There seems to be confusion as to when the new contract was offered. From what I've read it was at the start of the close season and the recent 'news' from the Echo is merely the fact that the offer is still on the table. Whether Adams will change his mind and decide to sign it I guess depends on what offers come in for him. If only Everton are interested I can see him signing a new contract with us.

No, it is quite clearly a new/revised offer than what was on the table at the end of last season. If nothing else it includes the V-C "clause", but I suspect it is more significant than that. Martin suggested as much today. I still don't think that a new offer would be put on the table unless there was genuine feedback that a new offer would at least be seriously considered. It does look like the Holgate issue is independent after all, seems like we have been after him for some time, so may not be a sweetener. It feels to me like the Everton ship has sailed or been sunk, but maybe someone else will come in for Che. 

45 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

No, it is quite clearly a new/revised offer than what was on the table at the end of last season. If nothing else it includes the V-C "clause", but I suspect it is more significant than that. Martin suggested as much today. I still don't think that a new offer would be put on the table unless there was genuine feedback that a new offer would at least be seriously considered. It does look like the Holgate issue is independent after all, seems like we have been after him for some time, so may not be a sweetener. It feels to me like the Everton ship has sailed or been sunk, but maybe someone else will come in for Che. 

He’ll sign the contract only when no one else comes in for him/we accept a bid.

On 23/08/2023 at 17:31, PapaWaiToGO said:

In a way it's good to see the prudence of board accepting that no championship club should be letting 15m go for free - Blackburn did it with Bereton-Diaz and it got them nowhere. 

Having said that, I do hope Wilcox has a cut off point that selling Che will have too much impact on our promotion chances. 15m isn't worth much to us if it's 1st September the next day. 

It's a tricky one. Had Blackburn been promoted then this wouldn't have been seen as a bad idea. 

I think you have to try and put a value on what his goals are worth. It's like Harry Kane going to Bayern. Ok, Spurs got 100m but if they don't score goals and don't make the top 4 then they'll lose a huge sum of money and you have to say that it would have been better to keep him. 

As a club, are we better taking a gamble that his goals will help us get promoted or do we want to sell him for what seems like a relatively small amount and risk not having those goals at all? 

8 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Sounds encouraging- if he’s in the squad tomorrow we have a better chance of winning the game

On 24/08/2023 at 08:51, Chez said:

You keep going on about offering him a new deal, but fail to acknowledge that we tried that already and failed, not to mention any offer we can make now we are in the championship is likely to be blown out the water by Everton, in the prem.

There is no reason for him to sign a new contract now when he knows a Prem side wants him. He can walk on a free and get a huge signing on fee next summer. You don't give that possibility up.

It just depends what's in the offer. making an offer isn't the last word. You can change it, amend it, improve it.

Anyway, I'm guessing we have lost him.

Others will disagree, but it's long been my opinion that Che is not as good as he thinks he is. That's not to say he's a poor player but I've never rated him as outstanding.  We already have Dom Ballard as a long term replacement, and I would say, an upgrade, while in the short term there is the possibility the club could bring in Ross Stewart to boost the promotion push. 

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Professor said:

Others will disagree, but it's long been my opinion that Che is not as good as he thinks he is. That's not to say he's a poor player but I've never rated him as outstanding.  We already have Dom Ballard as a long term replacement, and I would say, an upgrade, while in the short term there is the possibility the club could bring in Ross Stewart to boost the promotion push. 

Calling Ballard an upgrade is ridiculous.  He's barely played for the first team.  We all hope he will be a great player but he isn't ready to be our main striker yet, hence why players like Mara are being put onto the pitch over him.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Professor said:

Madness

The thing that Che brings that none of our other attacking options bring is his physicality. He’s a big powerful forward, he holds the ball up really well and plays with his back to goal brilliantly at times. That is something we really need to replace if he goes imo. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Professor said:

Ross Stewart is a good player without doubt. However, he is still recovering from a torn achilles so is not right for us. He is not scheduled to be available to start matches until late September at the earliest with no guarantee what Sunderland will get from him so, for me, he'd represent far too big a risk because we could be waiting a few months which is time we cannot afford. We need someone who is fit, ready and can hit the ground running. Maybe that was Piroe and we were outsmarted by Leeds because their DoF went direct to the owners of Swansea and got the deal done and he's already scored for them in his first game.  Hope we have someone decent lined up to be unveiled this week.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Professor said:

You’re not really a professor are you

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Adam Blackmore already said it was between Crystal Palace and us for Che. 

Ok cool, I have not seen anything. Che did have a medical at Everton last week though, but since then they moved the goalposts. I can see him at Palace. 

39 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Did he? For definite? I think Blackmore said he didn't want to go there. 

The deal was almost done with Everton but they couldn’t agree terms and Che also didn’t really want to go there for. Few reasons as to why. Anyway he has other options. Illl be surprised if he’s still Here end of next week

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

The deal was almost done with Everton but they couldn’t agree terms and Che also didn’t really want to go there for. Few reasons as to why. Anyway he has other options. Illl be surprised if he’s still Here end of next week

We really need him out the door. 

• Confused 2

Palace seem the obvious ones currently, with Bournemouth lurking too. Wolves (if Nunes goes) and Forest (if Johnson goes to Spurs) will also have money burning a hole in their pockets. And then there's Fulham with the Mitrovic cash. He's probably not #1 option for anyone, but he will be on a few shortlists this week.

9 hours ago, saintant said:

zzzzzzzz is the Che saga still moving along at glacial speed? For fecks sake someone, anyone just make a frigging decision.

The glacial pace I saw him jogging with his tiny dogs up Lanham Lane in Winchester yesterday 🤣

I didn’t talk to him so no insider knowledge 

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Che Adams - Official: Signs for Torino