Che Adams - Official: Signs for Torino

TopGun

1 hour ago, SaintBobby said:

Why not offer Che an enhanced contract  with a major bonus if we’re promoted and a £10m release clause from next June either way? He might say “no”, but I dont see why the choice is between “sell” and “lose him for nothing in the summer”.

Enhanced current deal I understand but he is out of contract next June so a £10mil release clause is useless ! (or am I missing something?).

1 hour ago, SaintBobby said:

Why not offer Che an enhanced contract  with a major bonus if we’re promoted and a £10m release clause from next June either way? He might say “no”, but I dont see why the choice is between “sell” and “lose him for nothing in the summer”.

Pretty sure he was offered an enhanced contract about 18 months ago and he turned it down. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eurosaint said:

Enhanced current deal I understand but he is out of contract next June so a £10mil release clause is useless ! (or am I missing something?).

His enhanced contract would be for 2 or 3 years but with a release clause next June.

8 hours ago, OldNick said:

It is so hard to explain the reason or psyche why after nearly 40 years the burning is still strong

I think it is because we would have won the final, no matter if it was Plymouth or Watford. To get so close and to lose it the way we did. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, OldNick said:

Che Zach Everton Fred Adams, so there is a massive chance he may decide to go there.

I was sceptical that Everton was his middle name after somebody replied to me on twitter, perhaps he was right afterall

Gives us hope that Robert Southampton Lewandowski might sign then!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I am a bit torn on this one, I can see the value in keeping him but Che summed up in one cross on Saturday. Six yards out no defender near him free header and put it over the bar…although offside!

Could we replace him? I have always liked his honesty and committed play but last year of contract but 4 weeks ago almost all wanted gone. If he reverts to last season and can’t hit a cows arse will the club regret that 15m lost?

60/40 for keeping him.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I am a bit torn on this one, I can see the value in keeping him but Che summed up in one cross on Saturday. Six yards out no defender near him free header and put it over the bar…although offside!

Could we replace him? I have always liked his honesty and committed play but last year of contract but 4 weeks ago almost all wanted gone. If he reverts to last season and can’t hit a cows arse will the club regret that 15m lost?

60/40 for keeping him.

I thought he was poor against Plymouth. I do wonder if he hadnt been the one at the far post to tap in that winner there would be quite so much gnashing of teeth at the thought of him going. 

Totally understand why the club would sell him. As with the other likely outs (KWP, Tella especially) it will be the quality and success of the replacements which really determine whether the sale is a good or bad decision.

• Like 2

Whoever thought Che Adams leaving could be so divisive. Its got me torn I must admit. I dont mind Che he's not produced consistently over his time with us but I certainly do think he'll get goals in the Championship. However, if he won't sign a new contract then I can understand the club cashing in. Yes, I get that the £15m won't be anything near the money we could get if he fires us back to the Prem, on the other-hand he may do his ACL next week be out for the season make no further contribution and walk-away for free next summer and the club miss out on £15m. Maybe thats a gamble the club aren't willing to take.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, westmidlandsaint said:

Whoever thought Che Adams leaving could be so divisive. Its got me torn I must admit. I dont mind Che he's not produced consistently over his time with us but I certainly do think he'll get goals in the Championship. However, if he won't sign a new contract then I can understand the club cashing in. Yes, I get that the £15m won't be anything near the money we could get if he fires us back to the Prem, on the other-hand he may do his ACL next week be out for the season make no further contribution and walk-away for free next summer and the club miss out on £15m. Maybe thats a gamble the club aren't willing to take.

It may not be a gamble Adams wants to take either. He's clearly not decided on staying here, or maybe we havnt offered him a new contract, so I'd be very surprised if he stays. RM saying the right things about wanting him to stay but that's only (I'm guessing) so that in the case he doesn't find a move RM has CA on side! 

I think there will be one or two better players coming in tbe door up front...

14 minutes ago, westmidlandsaint said:

This is a valid point. People are weighing up £15m for a striker with poor finishing generally (though with other decent attributes) in his last year of contract vs. the riches we'd gain from promotion...completely overlooking the fact that we aren't guaranteed promotion with or without him, and could easily finish outside the top 6/7 and still see him go at the end of the season on a free.
I quite like him, but I think he's easily replaceable. My only worry is will the club actually manage it this time.

24 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Totally understand why the club would sell him. As with the other likely outs (KWP, Tella especially) it will be the quality and success of the replacements which really determine whether the sale is a good or bad decision.

If we sell him then it will be for financial reasons and it's unlikely to think more than small % of this will be used to buy a new striker.  I don't think we can replace a proven scorer in this league (with 3 goals already this season) for the £4-6m price range.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, kitch said:

This is a valid point. People are weighing up £15m for a striker with poor finishing generally (though with other decent attributes) in his last year of contract vs. the riches we'd gain from promotion...completely overlooking the fact that we aren't guaranteed promotion with or without him, and could easily finish outside the top 6/7 and still see him go at the end of the season on a free.
I quite like him, but I think he's easily replaceable. My only worry is will the club actually manage it this time.

Nothing  is guaranteed but as history will tell you you’ve got a much better chance of success if you’ve got a striker than can score a goal every other game or better. 

anyway it looks like he’s going so it’s now about who comes in

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

It may not be a gamble Adams wants to take either. He's clearly not decided on staying here, or maybe we havnt offered him a new contract, so I'd be very surprised if he stays. RM saying the right things about wanting him to stay but that's only (I'm guessing) so that in the case he doesn't find a move RM has CA on side! 

I think there will be one or two better players coming in tbe door up front...

I think this possibility is underpriced. It may well be that Che is quite happy to wait and run down his contract but the club want him out to realise some value

3 hours ago, westmidlandsaint said:

This thinking makes no sense to me. 

Adams might get injured so we better sell him for £15million. 

Then we sign a replacement probably for similar money, who may not settle in, may not click with the players or may just not be as good - and then he might get injured next week as well.

Either way we're gambling £15million, at least with Adams he knows the team, is settled, has had a pre-season with the squad and the manager and has started the season with 3 goals in 3 games. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Then we sign a replacement probably for similar money, who may not settle in, may not click with the players or may just not be as good - and then he might get injured next week as well.

Either way we're gambling £15million, at least with Adams he knows the team, is settled, has had a pre-season with the squad and the manager and has started the season with 3 goals in 3 games. 

The real risk the club might be worried about is keeping Che, missing out on promotion (for whatever reason, injuries to players being one reason that could happen), and then being stuck with no Che, no Che money, and another season in the Championship, with the unknown of whether any replacement strikers would be available at the right price.

Personally I’d be inclined to keep him and gamble with his record in the Championship, but I can understand the club wanting to reduce the risk around striker options for next season, even if that potentially makes it less likely we go up this season.

What we don’t know is how far advanced any potential replacements are this window that would influence the club’s decision on that.

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I get that a new player might get injured too, however likelihood is a new player would have a 3, 4 or 5 year contract so they'll still play for the club again where-as Adams wouldn't. There would (hopefully) be more to come and still a potential re-sale value.

I'm not saying that I believe this is what we should be doing, just sharing a different angle. 

Everton are also keen on Gnonto but Leeds have placed a £50m price tag on him which means that there will be few, if any, takers.

Bit of a problem for Leeds as Gnonto seems to have downed tools.

Meanwhile hot bit of info from cash strapped Everton who appear to be offering an initial down payment of two historic dug outs (easily saleable on EBay) plus staged payment of £5,500 per week spread over 50 years

• Haha 1

I usually dismiss those who say “let’s hold on to player come what may” as deluded, and ignoring the negative impact of a disenchanted player kicking around causing problems, and then them leaving for free a year later.  I thought that about Lavia, Salisu and still do about ABK for example.

But I feel differently about Che.  I may be wrong, but after disappointment hanging around for a couple of weeks I think scoring goals in a championship promotion bid is one hell of a good distraction.  And a high scoring season for him, even if we then miss out on promotion, arguably increases his wage claim next summer for a Premier League club.

So that, along with the fact that we will make many times more then £13 million by going up, would persuade me to keep him and if necessary let him run his contract down.

• Like 1

I understand he's in the last year of his contract and we're a business, but from a footballing perspective the only winner in this transfer would be Che. We lose because we sell a very good Championship striker and Everton lose because they sign a very good Championship striker. I'd be happy to see him stay because I think he's very suited to this league and could make the difference for us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

No apparently they want to pay less than £7m of the £15m fee upfront.

Clearly we won't accept that, I'd imagine we'd want more of the total fee now. 

Wonder what we actually want up front and when remainder will be paid.

Maybe we could take less up front, but get more in total. Depends if we need the money right now to do our own deals.

8 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

No apparently they want to pay less than £7m of the £15m fee upfront.

Clearly we won't accept that, I'd imagine we'd want more of the total fee now. 

Yeah, pointless if they go into administration while the terms are unfulfilled.

Not saying that would happen, but looking at how they must be hemorrhaging money right now.

• Like 1

Can't wait to be rid of him. I'm sure he's a lovely guy, but he's been stinking up our front line for years now, and NOT missing a chance from two yards on Saturday isn't enough to erase the pain of all the other golden chances he's muffed.

Also, if I was advising him, I'd tell him to take the Everton money every time. At the moment he's a temporarily embarrassed premier league striker waiting to be rescued from relegation, as most of them eventually are. A full season with us and he's a championship player once more, hoping that someone will take a punt.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Bet you didn’t react like that when he scored the winner v Sheffield Wednesday and the winner v Plymouth. 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

Plymouth was too early in the morning for California. But like I said, I'm not disputing that he can score at this level. He's just a shit finisher and I'm tired of seeing him in a Saints shirt. Time for a change.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Plymouth was too early in the morning for California. But like I said, I'm not disputing that he can score at this level. He's just a shit finisher and I'm tired of seeing him in a Saints shirt. Time for a change.

''I'm not disputing that he can score at this level''

''He's just a shit finisher, been stinking our front line out for years''

Hmm, yeah.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Bet you didn’t react like that when he scored the winner v Sheffield Wednesday and the winner v Plymouth. 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

Che seems to have gone from public enemy to irreplaceable messiah rather quickly! @verlaine1979 makes the point that almost everyone was making before he scored this season. 

• Like 4

He's a proven striker at Championship level yet struggled in the Prem, that's why people slated him last season but are now singing his praises. He's perfect for us in the Championship. He could stay and be. a hero or he could go to Everton, struggle all season and end up in another relegation battle - You know exactly what he'll choose. Players are greedy pricks with no loyalty.

A move to Everton is not an upgrade. Saints have the potential to go up. Everton have the potential to go down. 

JWP could've stayed and helped take the club he "loves" back up but loyalty counts for nothing any more. 

As long as we replace him then he can fuck off to the bin dippers for his career move and pay increase. 😂

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

8 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

He's a proven striker at Championship level yet struggled in the Prem, that's why people slated him last season but are now singing his praises. He's perfect for us in the Championship. He could stay and be. a hero or he could go to Everton, struggle all season and end up in another relegation battle - You know exactly what he'll choose. Players are greedy pricks with no loyalty.

A move to Everton is not an upgrade. Saints have the potential to go up. Everton have the potential to go down. 

JWP could've stayed and helped take the club he "loves" back up but loyalty counts for nothing any more. 

As long as we replace him then he can fuck off to the bin dippers for his career move and pay increase. 😂

Other than it clearly is...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

You know exactly what he'll choose. Players are greedy pricks with no loyalty.

...and supporters are selfish pricks who concoct bullshit rationale for reasons the players they like should stay at the club they support, which conveniently is exactly what the supporter wants.

If we'd have stayed up and we were trying poach someone from relegated (say) Forest you wouldn't hear anything about how moving to the Prem is "not a step up". 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

The real risk the club might be worried about is keeping Che, missing out on promotion (for whatever reason, injuries to players being one reason that could happen), and then being stuck with no Che, no Che money, and another season in the Championship, with the unknown of whether any replacement strikers would be available at the right price.

Personally I’d be inclined to keep him and gamble with his record in the Championship, but I can understand the club wanting to reduce the risk around striker options for next season, even if that potentially makes it less likely we go up this season.

What we don’t know is how far advanced any potential replacements are this window that would influence the club’s decision on that.

There are pros and cons in both scenarios but Che is an employee and should be treated well surely he should have some input into the decision

10 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

...and supporters are selfish pricks who concoct bullshit rationale for reasons the players they like should stay at the club they support, which conveniently is exactly what the supporter wants.

If we'd have stayed up and we were trying poach someone from relegated (say) Forest you wouldn't hear anything about how moving to the Prem is "not a step up". 

Indeed. Playing for Everton in the PL is a step up on any assessment, and he'd be nuts not to take the extra dollars they'll be paying him. All hypothetical, but if he's on £50k down here (I suspect it'll be less), but will be on £100k up there (I suspect it'll be more) that's the thick end of £2.5m over just the the next year. The expectation that he turns that down, and the chance to play PL football, to please Harry from Harefield is bewildering. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

I just love that the fact you’d be utterly perplexed if a Championship striker had turned us down whilst we were in the PL for the same reasons.

Staggering levels of arrogance and no self awareness. 

• Like 6

As far as im concerned,  I wish him well either way. Other lesser professionals have and do 'down tools' in this scenario. This season,  he has wanted to play and put in a shift whenever picked and scored goals that got us points we would not have got.

You may argue he's just doing what's required but i think this points to his mentality. I personally hope he stays as we are a better team with him in it

Talking to my Palace mates yesyetday, they rate hime and would love him up front for them

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Our starting XI would be Will Smallbone and ten academy kids (not the best of them, like Amo-Ameyaw, who disloyally left Spurs for us).

• Lighthouse changed the title to Che Adams - Official: Signs for Torino