Hampshire CCC 2024

Picard

Good day for Hampshire leading by 196 runs with only 2 wickets to take in first inningsAll matches using the kookaburra ball for this round which tends to go softer than Duke after about 30 overs.  Only 4 overs tomorrow until new ball.

Just now, Weston Saint said:

Weatherley has just signed a one year contract extension to 2025. Quite surprised by that but good luck to him. OK in mid order but not an opener in my opinion.

Happy enough with that, he’s a solid enough batsman who can cover all formats.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

@Weston Saintany news on when the women’s squad will be announced (or have I missed it).

All I know at present is that Alice Monaghan is moving to Surrey. Georgia Elwiss is moving to Nottinghamshire.

I might know more in a few weeks when I am lunching with Giles White and Charlotte Edwards although it will be "what is said at the dining table stays with the dining table" :)

It has also been reported by BBC that Women will enter the new Women's T20 Vitality Blast in 2025 under the name of Hampshire.

Edited by Weston Saint
to add the blast info

14 hours ago, Weston Saint said:

All I know at present is that Alice Monaghan is moving to Surrey. Georgia Elwiss is moving to Nottinghamshire.

I might know more in a few weeks when I am lunching with Giles White and Charlotte Edwards although it will be "what is said at the dining table stays with the dining table" :)

It has also been reported by BBC that Women will enter the new Women's T20 Vitality Blast in 2025 under the name of Hampshire.

You are just living the dream aren't you, just a casual lunch with the Hampshire big dogs!

It will be interesting to see how much movement there is between squads. Durham don't currently have a top team, so it will be interesting to see where they create a squad from

15 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

You are just living the dream aren't you, just a casual lunch with the Hampshire big dogs!

It will be interesting to see how much movement there is between squads. Durham don't currently have a top team, so it will be interesting to see where they create a squad from

Nothing unusual in Cricket. A group of 8 of us arrange an end of season lunch with Rod Bransgrove and have been for some years. Rod invited Lottie this year but he is now away abroad for the date we arranged for this year so Giles is coming in his place. 

Cricket is very down to earth.  We also chat to the Coach, Adie, and he is very friendly. One of the perks of being an Executive Member and Gold Debenture holder. :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Weston Saint said:

Was hoping it was soon - I’m sure I heard/read that Surrey had announced theirs but with AM going there I would have thought her departure would have been announced before.

enjoy your meal - sounds like nice occasion.

2 hours ago, Weston Saint said:

Nothing unusual in Cricket. A group of 8 of us arrange an end of season lunch with Rod Bransgrove and have been for some years. Rod invited Lottie this year but he is now away abroad for the date we arranged for this year so Giles is coming in his place. 

Cricket is very down to earth.  We also chat to the Coach, Adie, and he is very friendly. One of the perks of being an Executive Member and Gold Debenture holder. :)

Sounds very pleasant! I assume Beefy's at the Hilton is the only acceptable location for such a meal.

Will be interesting to see which Vipers players not contracted to Hampshire make the move over. A real hit for the other counties, essentially removing them from the picture.

2 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Sounds very pleasant! I assume Beefy's at the Hilton is the only acceptable location for such a meal.

Will be interesting to see which Vipers players not contracted to Hampshire make the move over. A real hit for the other counties, essentially removing them from the picture.

Not Beefy's. in our own Executive club Restaurant.

Just watching the Blast QFs and two things strike me:

1. It’s absurd having such a big gap between the group games and the knockout, especially when you have overseas players who only come in for this tournament.
  2. Another all Southern finals day. Not sure what it is about this competition.
  • Like 1

On 06/09/2024 at 22:03, Lighthouse said:

Just watching the Blast QFs and two things strike me:

1. It’s absurd having such a big gap between the group games and the knockout, especially when you have overseas players who only come in for this tournament.
  2. Another all Southern finals day. Not sure what it is about this competition.

Agreed on point 1, all form a team has built up goes out the window and you have to start again. 

And somehow, it's also back to the county championship again today. Taking Warwickshire as an example, in the last calendar month they've had players play in England tests, will have players in the England T20 this week, county champ, one day cup, blast and hundred. It is crazy!!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Weston Saint said:

kookaburra ball being used again so would not be surprised if Kent recover a little but let us see.

It’s the only way they can realistically play red ball cricket at either end of the domestic season. Makes the quicker bowlers use their brain/get their speeds up and gives the spinners a way into matches that are normally 130 plays 150 at this stage of the season where 75mph seamers are taking 7/34 or something daft on a green top.

Edited by Gloucester Saint

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Weird to think this is the same Gloucestershire team we pulled off our only really convincing win against in this year’s Blast.

Bancroft and Miles Hammond is a heck of an opening partnership and good seamers in Payne and the lively Josh Shaw. Taylor is decent but more of a white ball type. Mark Alleyne winning some more silverware to echo the success as their skipper in the 1990s, his lad was in Saints academy but went to Man City.