Hampshire CCC 2024

Picard

Not sure what has happened here. At this level - we know these players can bat and bowl, but as a unit they are collapsing, shame as it should be a very winnable competition.

Gubbins / Middleton and Prest have been particularly poor. 

38 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

Not sure what has happened here. At this level - we know these players can bat and bowl, but as a unit they are collapsing, shame as it should be a very winnable competition.

Gubbins / Middleton and Prest have been particularly poor. 

It's pretty obvious that we do not bat well on the opponents' grounds. we win at home but on turnip patches in the sticks, not so much. Today there was nothing really special as far as I could see in Worcs bowling, but it was aggressive, pitched up and straight in the main. You only have to look at Gubbins dismissal to see that such bowling poses us a real problem. Middleton, Organ, Brown and Gubbins are grafters, they aren't aggressive batters. Prest, well he's gone backwards hasn't he, perhaps not is all well with his injury. Weatherly is a waste of space most of the time.  The bowling is all over the place, Abbott was pretty good today, didn't cost many. Wheal? don't know why he is still here, Currie would be better, even Holland. Abbas isn't a one-day bowler.  The spinners aren't spinners, they're stop gaps. Kelly looks good though.

into QF against Glamorgan away on Friday I think. it is back in our hands

They had not updated points on other table when I looked. It is Leicestershire away as Glamorgan top and into Semi finals 

Edited by Weston Saint
update on next opponents
  • Like 1

Scraped third on NRR. Perhaps a blessing in disguise, as this opens the door to bring in the big guns for the knockout match(es), like they did today for the must-win match. Unlike the last couple of seasons where the kids did so well in the group stage that it was harder to drop them in the next matches.

• Like 1

They got through which is s great achievement, honestly the youngsters and experienced pros have been equally inconsistent. Genuinely not sure best route from here - you would be think experience but I’d say they have performed worse than the nippers.

38 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

They got through which is s great achievement, honestly the youngsters and experienced pros have been equally inconsistent. Genuinely not sure best route from here - you would be think experience but I’d say they have performed worse than the nippers.

For example, if Hants get through to the semi and the final play Vince. He could've made the difference last year (he wasn't picked and they lost the final by 2 runs).

Motoring along nicely today, big knock from Gubbins, just out though, hope we can continue racking up the score in the last 8 overs or so.  300 would be good, bit of a way to go though as of yet, might only get about 280.

No stream................:-(

36 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Motoring along nicely today, big knock from Gubbins, just out though, hope we can continue racking up the score in the last 8 overs or so.  300 would be good, bit of a way to go though as of yet, might only get about 280.

No stream................:-(

You can pay for a stream on the Leicester site I believe. (3.99)

32 minutes ago, Picard said:

You can pay for a stream on the Leicester site I believe. (3.99)

I did not know that. Too late now, I have to head off to the footy in a while, Clermont-Pau this evening, Ligue 2, might be a bit of a sad affair but as I've paid me money.....................

4 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Excellent even, but we need to dismiss Handscombe before he gets too dug in. Wasn't it he that beat us almost by himself last year, or was that Ackerman?

Cant remember but two years ago it was 93 year old Darren Stevens who took us to school in the semi.

What you have to remember is that there is a ball from each end so in the first 20 overs the two balls are only 10 overs old.  After that they begin to go soft and that is an advantage to the batsman. 

Both Hampshire and Worcestershire had great bowling starts but in the end both teams who batted 2nd won. Just the way it is on decent wickets with balanced sides. Better chasing 

We have lost the toss on 8 out of our 9 50 over games. Lets not forget that.

Good effort though.

Nothing is happening with james Vince at present. His contract with Hampshire is until the end of 2025 season. He is very unlikely to be selected by England. that bird has flown.

I did hear a suggestion that he has been offered a new contract but he is doing nothing at present because of the situation with the attacks on his home, still unresolved.

One of the most lucrative contracts is the Pakistan Super League but that is to be held in April/May in 2025 because Pakistan hosting the  ICC Trophy in February. At his age it might just be too much to turn down! 

Let me make it clear, he loves Hampshire and hoped to see out his career here but those attacks on him home and the distress being caused to his wife and two young children as well as his mum and dad may just be too much to take!!   

58 minutes ago, Weston Saint said:

Nothing is happening with james Vince at present. His contract with Hampshire is until the end of 2025 season. He is very unlikely to be selected by England. that bird has flown.

I did hear a suggestion that he has been offered a new contract but he is doing nothing at present because of the situation with the attacks on his home, still unresolved.

One of the most lucrative contracts is the Pakistan Super League but that is to be held in April/May in 2025 because Pakistan hosting the  ICC Trophy in February. At his age it might just be too much to turn down! 

Let me make it clear, he loves Hampshire and hoped to see out his career here but those attacks on him home and the distress being caused to his wife and two young children as well as his mum and dad may just be too much to take!!   

I’m not sure that really follows. Let’s assume the extreme worst case and say that even with extra security, he never feels safe going back to that house again. If he was forced to sell up and move his family, surely he could simply move to a different part of Hampshire and still play for us.

16 hours ago, Picard said:

Hopefully weather tomorrow will save Hants.

Well, the start is delayed so that's a bonus.  We were pretty awful yesterday, aimless bowling, poor even from Turner, dropped catches that really didn't help our cause. Hants looked like a side with very little left to play for this season and the decision to put them in first looks like a monumental error. I think Vince was off the field for a part of the day as well. Only Abbas came out of the day with any sort of real credit, steady bowling that kept the score down and got some wickets.

This season is toast, even with 4 games left to play and things must surely change before the 2025 season, all formats included.

5 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Well, the start is delayed so that's a bonus.  We were pretty awful yesterday, aimless bowling, poor even from Turner, dropped catches that really didn't help our cause. Hants looked like a side with very little left to play for this season and the decision to put them in first looks like a monumental error. I think Vince was off the field for a part of the day as well. Only Abbas came out of the day with any sort of real credit, steady bowling that kept the score down and got some wickets.

This season is toast, even with 4 games left to play and things must surely change before the 2025 season, all formats included.

What would you consider we change? We have a world class 1st team coach, one of the best captains in championship and we are likely to have new owners before next season. 

20 minutes ago, Weston Saint said:

What would you consider we change? We have a world class 1st team coach, one of the best captains in championship and we are likely to have new owners before next season. 

There will probably be changes to the bowling line up, perhaps a real first rate spinner, I am personally far from convinced that our coach is what's needed. Then again I'm not on amicable terms with him as you are.  I see young players not progressing as well as one might expect, I see poor fielding on occasions, I see iffy toss decisions and poor opening batting on several occasions. The one-day campaigns were medium to poor, not up to standard in any shape or form.

Still as you say, possibly new owners, one can just hope for a clear-out and a general bucking up in standards.

As always, I like to reserve judgement until both teams have batted but I was one who thought we had made to correct decision to field first.  The covers had been on for at least 30 hours before the start and if there was much in the wicket through sweating, that is where we could press for advantage. It did not happen! the second new ball proved the key.

When we batted we were very cautious and thereafter our young batsmen took over. We do have a future there with Middleton, Orr, Prest and Albert. 

Windows, I agree we need a top class spinner. Bowling next season could be Currie, Wheal, Turner, with others coming on. With that group we probably need an experienced bowler. Maybe Abbott, who is out of contract at end of year. Abbas is other overseas out of contract. Barker is also out of contract and may also be the one to stay but only one of the three, in my opinion. We have a great bowling coach so off the field is not an issue.

Opening batting has been a big issue for a few years now but Middleton and Orr look the future and will develop. 

Hampshire are one of the better fielding sides. Agree we make mistakes but so do the others. Essex dropped catches and mis fielded as much as we did.

White ball was poor this season and everyone is scratching their heads on this. Our coach is also the coach to SA T20 team who have won the competition for the last two years so it is not lack of his experience.

On red ball no one can fully compete with Surrey. They are miles ahead. However the coach identified two areas where we could be more competitive. One was to try to increase the batting over rate by one per over and the other was to be fitter. The whole team came back this season fitter and slimmer. Very noticeable with Dawson and Abbott in particular. Let us not forget we are 4th in the Championship. Not as high as we want to be but with a good future.

Let's see how the last 4 games go.      

Edited by Weston Saint
spelling!
  • Like 1

Why did Vince bat so far down the order?

Great to see Prest get some serious runs.  I thought the 50 over tournament was a big missed opportunity for him this year but hopefully he'll kick on from here

3 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Why did Vince bat so far down the order?

Great to see Prest get some serious runs.  I thought the 50 over tournament was a big missed opportunity for him this year but hopefully he'll kick on from here

Vince has some sort of minor injury, described as a niggle by the commentators. Was off the field for a fair bit of the day on friday as well.

• Like 1

Nothing much left to play for now but it's going to be an interesting off season. Does anybody have a list of who's out of contract this year? I think the big question marks are over the overseas players in the Blast and the bowling in the County team. Are we planning to get another season out of AAB I wonder.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Nothing much left to play for now but it's going to be an interesting off season. Does anybody have a list of who's out of contract this year? I think the big question marks are over the overseas players in the Blast and the bowling in the County team. Are we planning to get another season out of AAB I wonder.

Middleton, Albert, Prest and Turner signed multi year contracts in December 2023

Vince and Dawson until end of 2025

Gubbins signed a new contract December 2023 but length not known

Browns contract until end of 2024 as is Barker, Abbott and Abbas

Orr multi year following his close season signing in 2023

Not sure about Organ or Wheal

Think Weatherly and Holland end in 2024. 

Fuller until 2026

Scott Currie signed a multi year extension before his loan to Leicestershire    

Edited by Weston Saint

Holland has just signed a permanent deal with Leicestershire (he is on loan to them at present) His desire was to play all formats which Leicestershire can give him

Good servant for us. Shame to see him go but difficult to see him in the team if he had stayed.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Not unexpected but good luck to him.  Cheers for that list Weston, you’d expect Weatherly and Brown to stick around, they both get enough cricket at the moment.

I hope Brown stays he has done well when I have seen him.

I feel Weatherly is now surplus to requirements as Middleton 65 not out ,Prest Orr and Albert are sufficiently good batsmen for next season.

The bowling for next seaon is key as the loss of Barker has shown that we need a top class third seamer.

Against Essex Turner who is an attacking bowler could not slow the run rate that Abbott Abbasand Barker have done so well recently.

PS I do not really care much about white ball cricket it is over 50 years since we won the County Championship and exactly 50 years that we were robbed of it due to the weather especiall as we thrashed the winners Worsterhire at Portsmouth earlier in the season