Hampshire CCC 2024

Picard

8 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

Doh, Albert gone already with 1 on the board. Bowling too good for him. Needs to bat middle order, Organ might be better opening.

Haven’t we already tried that a few times? Good match from Midds though, 74 and 58.

9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Haven’t we already tried that a few times? Good match from Midds though, 74 and 58.

it does seem we've tried every combination at this point. Orr and Middleton certainly the pair I'd expect to make the opening spots theirs (when both fit) and I think if they improve as expected we'd be in safe hands.

If I’m not mistakes he’s played this these two innings at nine and four, so far scoring a respectable 23 and 28*. Clearly a useful and versatile player to have somewhere but I prefer him as a lower order bowling all-rounder.

Anyone bemoaning our inability to quickly finish off a game for the lower order - I’d suggest a cheeky look at what is happening with Sussex and Leicestershire!!!

5 hours ago, Hodgey said:

So near and yet so far…

Easy in hindsight I know, but shouldn't Vince have declared sooner? At the time the online BBC reporter questioned why he and Dawson batted as long as they did.

8 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Easy in hindsight I know, but shouldn't Vince have declared sooner? At the time the online BBC reporter questioned why he and Dawson batted as long as they did.

Yet if Warks hadn't had a 180 plus stand in their middle order, from 123:6, we would have wrapped things up. I think that is what ultimately cost us the game.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

It was such a flat pitch and was not likely to change so Vince decision was probably to bat them out of the game and then back the bowlers to force Warwickshire into errors. Was only ever going to be a Hampshire win or Warwickshire daw. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Good to see, after a wobbly start. Must be creeping towards a 200 partnership with Brown.

Partnership pushing 250 at the end of play.  Bizarre day, the openers looked untroubled before the rain, then in difficulty at the re-start, Gubbins was out bizarrely, ball bounced off his leg onto the stumps I think, the Vince and Brown looked in no difficulty at all. Perhaps the wicket got a bit damp at the start of the drizzle. Seem to be in a good position, might get 4 batting points for once, probably look to bat only once.

8 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Doesn't look at all promising for a Hampshire win this morning. Same as last week, Kent are in a relegation situation and aren't interested in anything other than a draw.

A draw won't save them from relegation. They need wins.

14 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Things are looking up, no Barker as of yet this morning. Saving him for the imminent new ball or injured !

Got hit on the ankle with the ball yesterday.

Posted (edited)

Glamorgan chasing a record 593 to beat Gloucestershire get to 592:9 in the last over then lose their last wicket off the last ball of the match.

Edited by badgerx16

I watched bits of it. You have to say it’s been a dreadful tournament for McD and Turner. Wheal I can forgive to an extent, he’s an average squad player having to fill in when required. Oh well, we were due a bad season in the Blast. Need to do our homework on a couple of new overseas players for next year I think.

12 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I watched bits of it. You have to say it’s been a dreadful tournament for McD and Turner. Wheal I can forgive to an extent, he’s an average squad player having to fill in when required. Oh well, we were due a bad season in the Blast. Need to do our homework on a couple of new overseas players for next year I think.

Definitely something to improve on, Neser was a good player but nothing outstanding, McDermott adds value as a keeper but has been fairly awful with the bat. Seems as though we won't see Baartman at all, and Ul-Haq's "Personal Circumstances" are actually him going to earn some cash in America instead

14 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I watched the first hour and the part of our innings that fell at half-time.  Our bowling is just rank awful, too wide, too short, too easy to hit. The field placings aren't all that good, perhaps they'd be better if the bowlers bowl where they're supposed too.  Our batting is unimaginative and there are a good few poor shots. Still could have won but we lost wickets just when we needed not to.

Turner needs to slow down a bit and go for more accuracy, like he was last season.

Still 50 overs competition soon, might be better.

We don't make it easy for ourselves, keep playing the middle overs like it's a county game. Fair play to Benny, dragging us out of that. One great, three wicket over from Wheal but Turner was again well off it. With no Baartman, it looks like we're just going to coast through the rest of our fixtures.

Spoke to Vince father who said he has had a bug for a few days. Woods father told me he has a thigh strain and touch and go for Sunday. Fullers father told me he has a calf strain and that Howells felt his hamstring.

Turner not the bowler he was last year. Perhaps trying too hard.

Orr progressing well following his arm break and operation.  Should be back for 50 over competition. 

Not a bad watch.  Better than Wednesday anyway.  Turner is obviously trying too hard, a run in the 50 over games would do him good, but does he have a Hundred contract. The multiple left handers among the Gloucs batters didn't help, far too many balls down the leg side and the umpire gave wides for anything a bit off target.  Our innings lost it's way in the middle, I think we made 11 from 3 overs somewhere in there. But the end was good.

Hopefully we'll not have too many absents on Sunday, not that it really matters because we'll not qualify, but it makes the game better to watch.

13 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

We must have the most friendly attack in the tournament.

Hopeless is more like it. I just don't see why we don't use at least one of our 4 day bowlers. We only have 1 overseas player for the T20 now.

Our overseas contribution in the Blast this season has been dreadful, we’ve made an absolute dog’s dinner of replacing Nelly in our attack. Neser was mediocre at best and only ever in it for half the tournament, which isn’t great. Then through one reason or another we don’t get any replacement. Add in Orr’s injury and McD and Turner’s total loss of form from last season and there are just too many players not doing enough.

Howell, Dawson and Fuller are decent middle order allrounders but they can’t do it all. Too often the openers leave us 35/3 at the end of the PP, or we end up with three bowlers averaging over 10.

• Like 1

Yep - McD has done a Whitely this year, he’s not even a great keeper so if he isn’t scoring quick runs hes useless. 
Too much pressure on Vince means he’s been caught in two minds how to manage an innings. 
All rounders done a decent job but they shouldn’t be better than our frontline batters and bowlers. Need another spinner too.
Our previous tactics of posting ok scores and relying on bowlers doesn’t work if your bowlers can’t do that.

Total rethink needed for next year. We need to be much more aggressive batting and accept sometimes we will hit a low score. Batters in this format should have SR at c 130-150

Now this is out in the open I can reveal James Vince issues. I know the family well and have known about this from the start and the anguish this has caused, and is still causing to his wife and young children. James loves Hampshire CCC but his has put a strain on the whole family as well as the cost of alternative accommodation. 

James Vince has lived with his young family in the same house, in the same sleepy village, near Hampshire’s headquarters, just east of Southampton, for almost eight years. He has never known any trouble.

That was until Vince, his wife and two young children woke in the middle of the night three months ago to the sound of glass smashing and alarms blaring as his house and cars were attacked totally out of the blue.

The family lived elsewhere while they had the damage repaired, which took almost a month. But just a week after the repairs were completed and they had returned, another very similar attack took place.

The former England batsman remains completely at a loss to explain what is going on. He has had some “very difficult conversations” with his wife Amy, as they make absolutely certain that the cause of this is nothing to do with them. They contacted the police immediately, and they have been investigating. Having looked at bank statements and phone records, they have found nothing unusual that could help explain the situation.

Vince has received support from Hampshire, the England and Wales Cricket Board, and the Professional Cricketers’ Association, who have hired intelligence firms to look deep into the matter. Those searches have also brought nothing to the surface, and with no obvious motive, the only available conclusion is that this is a case of mistaken identity, and someone else is being targeted by the attackers. The two attacks have been totally isolated; the attackers have made no contact, or given any indication of their motive.

“All the experts we’ve spoken to say it looks like a money issue, unpaid debts or something,” Vince tells Telegraph Sport. “We have nothing to hide and know we have never been involved in anything like this. We just desperately want this to stop.”

Vince, who played 13 Tests and 42 white-ball internationals for England and was part of the squad that won the World Cup in 2019, is an intensely private man who has explored every realistic avenue to solve the issue before going public with it. But the family feel they have been left with no choice as they desperately seek more information.

“If anyone knows anything, or sees anything in the footage of the attack that could lead to anything, please contact us or the Hampshire Police. It could be the final piece of information we need to find out what is going on and get our lives back to normal,” the 33-year-old says.

‘We rushed straight to the kids’
The two attacks have been almost identical. The first took place in the second week of April, at around 3am on a Monday morning.

“My wife and I woke suddenly to a load of smashing, and alarms going off,” says Vince. “We had no idea what was going on and it was obviously very unnerving so we rushed straight to get the kids [who are seven and three] to make sure they were safe. They were clearly very shaken up. By the time we had done that, and contacted the police, they had gone, and we did not see them. A neighbour saw a car drive away.

“It looks like they used some kind of metal bar the first time. There were two cars in the drive, and almost all the windows on both of them were smashed in, as well as the windows at the front of the house.”

While the damage to the cars and house were repaired, security cameras and alarms installed. The Vinces lived elsewhere in that period, but with some trepidation they returned home, only for a repeat attack just a few days later. Bizarrely, both attacks happened during Hampshire home matches.

“For the second one, I was actually still awake upstairs,” says Vince. “That meant I was able to get downstairs quite quickly and had more of a sense of what was going on. It obviously wasn’t such a surprise either, because it had happened before. I think they saw the activity in the house and left quickly.

“This time, they used bricks – and the damage wasn’t quite as bad. It was similar though, with windows on the cars and house smashed. We were still up because we’d been at a dinner for my team-mate Chris Wood’s benefit year at the ground. We got home about 11.30pm, and it happened about midnight. We know a bit more about this one, because we have footage from the new security cameras.”

The footage shows a man with a torch – possibly filming – passing bricks over the perimeter wall to another man, who is wearing a hoodie emblazoned with a logo of the brand Gym King on the back (which could provide a key clue to his identity), and has his face covered. He throws the bricks at windows on the house, then the cars, before fleeing.

After the second attack, Vince’s family beefed up their security provision further by hiring local crime and security experts to watch the property, but the threat of a third attack still looms.

“We don’t want to risk the same thing happening again,” he says. “It’s not fair on my wife or children to have to go through it again.

“Obviously something like this is hugely disruptive in our lives, especially for our children, who have understandably been affected and unsettled by the situation. Having said that, I’m amazed and extremely proud of how they have dealt with it. We have received great support locally, and from within cricket. We have also enlisted private security personnel, who have found some key information, which is promising. Anything more that anyone knows would be fantastic, though, because this has to end.”

By 
Will Macpherson
,  CRICKET NEWS CORRESPONDENT
16 July 2024 • 10:33am
James Vince interview: Repeated attacks on my home forced me and my family out (telegraph.co.uk)

If anyone knows anything please let me know.

Edited by Weston Saint
  • Sad 1