Hampshire CCC 2024

Picard

Decent win in the end but as has been said, another poor performance from the openers and over the PP. Vince I’ll give some slack for that direct hit but McD couldn’t stay in for three balls once again.

3 minutes ago, John B said:

Why have I got a down on Chris Wood I get upset whenever he bowls must be something to do with his first over going for 14

I must have a rogue Gene because he now has taken a wicket and conceded only 4 in his next

2 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

Our bowling was utter rubbish today, shameful, too wide, too short, some full tosses.

When their batsmen moved outside leg stump to make room our bowlers followed them. When McDermott did the same their bowler kept his line and hit the stumps.

One of those days - 2 home games where they could limit runs / control run chases then off to Taunton where you need very different tactics.

They are not used to chasing anything like that, even though it’s a great batting pitch and it showed.

Didnt watch until later in our innings so there may be a reason for this but Gubbins in at 9 ??? Assume that is because he can’t score quickly - but come on now - let’s give one of the big hitting kids a chance / experience

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

When their batsmen moved outside leg stump to make room our bowlers followed them. When McDermott did the same their bowler kept his line and hit the stumps.

And with Weatherley they bowled outside of off, knowing full well that he doesn't score many that side. So eventually he gets out trying to hoick everything over midwicket.

We're good enough against poor to middling sides but will come unstuck against the better ones, above all on their patch.

Turner is a concern, seems to have weathered his non selection for the WC T20 not too well, mind you on today's showing it kind of makes sense. He's got to be smarter when he bowls.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Very useful 39 off 16, or something like that to give us a total to defend. Still our openers haven't fired up, have either of them got past low twenties yet in this season's Blast?

Somerset; Vince 30, McDermott 46. Kent; McDermott 25, Vince 35.

They could do this with three overs to spare TBH. Odd that we went with no spinners. It turns out Dawson was ill but you'd have thought Organ might be a better option than Wheal, who's only bowled one over and been hit for 12.

A lot of players look out of form / poor confidence. Even Weatherly who hit 48 was never really middling it. I think we are over cautious whilst 20/20 is becoming more explosive. 
still a hope if the top order can find more consistent form, middle order is more like a 4 day team. And Essex away is a difficult place to play

Dreadful death bowling - no pace variation, just bang it in and get walloped that was why we lost. Mills and McAndrew showing guile our seamers don’t seem to have at the moment.

think that’s probably us - been a bizarre tournament where our batting has just never got going bar the odd cameo and our bowling has lacked variety and brains (Dawson excepted).

we were probably due a bad one given how consistent we have been, but got to question the tactics and prep.

Well, I watched some of last night's game on some sort of bizarre Indian youtube re-transmission, I am now an expert in what you need to put into your curry recipes from their adverts.  As far as the game is concerned, it's clear we have at least two problems. We don't bat well enough at the start of our innings, and we don't bowl well enough at the end of their innings. It's all wrong. McDermott isn't doing the job, the youngsters drafted in to replace Orr and Prest don't score quickly enough, and Vince looks out of nick. Scored a few yesterday but took a while to get going, same as Weatherley. Wheal shouldn't be anywhere near the side, Fuller is too wild for T20 fielding options, Wood....don't get me started, why is he still here? and Turner has obviously gone backwards or is no longer interested by Hampshire. Neser is OK sometimes, not as good as Ellis, probably a better bat though.

We're toast for this season's blast, need a complete overhaul for next time round.  Still, there's the 50 overs joust to look forward to, hoping for better.

Reason why Vince took time to get started and needed treatment part way through - At training during the day he got a ball come off his bat and hit his throat. He had difficulty speaking straight after but recovered enough to play. There are other issues that I am not prepared to go into as they are private.

They all leave at 10am today to travel up to Edgbaston. No team news as yet. 

1 minute ago, Weston Saint said:

Reason why Vince took time to get started and needed treatment part way through - At training during the day he got a ball come off his bat and hit his throat. He had difficulty speaking straight after but recovered enough to play. There are other issues that I am not prepared to go into as they are private.

They all leave at 10am today to travel up to Edgbaston. No team news as yet. 

Ouch, thanks for the info. Back to the 4 days game then. Any news on Prest?  They said on the commentary for the Essex game that he's nearly fit to play again. Might even have said he was a possible for last night's game. 

55 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Well, I watched some of last night's game on some sort of bizarre Indian youtube re-transmission, ........

The one where somebody kept muting the commentary to tell us, in some or other sub-continent language, how to get a free trial of TELEGRAM ?

1 hour ago, Window Cleaner said:

Ouch, thanks for the info. Back to the 4 days game then. Any news on Prest?  They said on the commentary for the Essex game that he's nearly fit to play again. Might even have said he was a possible for last night's game. 

I am told he should be back next week.

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

The one where somebody kept muting the commentary to tell us, in some or other sub-continent language, how to get a free trial of TELEGRAM ?

Not that I noticed, didn't see all of the game, just most of it. There was a bloke advertising some sort of culinary ingredients, a lady admonishing people for not choosing some sort of car insurance and some i-phone screen grabs of scores in other matches.

That was Neser’s final game for us. Overall… mmmmmmm, I’d rather have Ellis back next year if I’m honest. We’ve got enough all-rounders in Howell, Dawson and Fuller. I don’t mind having a good old fashioned #11 batter, as long as he can actually friggin’ bowl. Wheal’s contribution to the last 48 hours has been 1-60 from 5 overs. Who chose him to bowl the 20th I’ve no idea.

Vince was clutching his chest area at times yesterday. I assumed he has some sort of stomach upset and had possibly caught the same thing Daws had the night before. I guess a good whack to the throat would explain it. A better performance from his though, unlucky with his wicket.

Tom Prest is included as he continues his recovery from a shoulder injury.

Full Hampshire Squad

James Vince (14) Captain

Muhammad Abbas (38)

Kyle Abbott (87)

Toby Albert (15)

Keith Barker (13)

Ben Brown (10)

Liam Dawson (8)

James Fuller (26)

Nick Gubbins (31)

Fletcha Middleton (19)

Felix Organ (3)

Tom Prest (24)

John Turner (6)

Joe Weatherley (5)

1 hour ago, Window Cleaner said:

Chose to bat first. Standard XI. No place for Prest, Turner or Weatherley.  Pity, I'd like to see what Turner can do in the 4-day game.  

The Turner situation concerns me. You’ve got an ageing bowling line up & you’re not putting what I consider one of the most exciting young  bowling prospects in world cricket in the squad. I think that points to one thing, they must have serious concerns over his back. He’s 23 now, and taken  10 wickets at 10 a piece...why would you not even put him in the squad?

21 minutes ago, wadesmith said:

The Turner situation concerns me. You’ve got an ageing bowling line up & you’re not putting what I consider one of the most exciting young  bowling prospects in world cricket in the squad. I think that points to one thing, they must have serious concerns over his back. He’s 23 now, and taken  10 wickets at 10 a piece...why would you not even put him in the squad?

I will try to talk to Aidi the coach next week. He was in the squad but despite the bowling attack aging you have to go with your best team and the present 11 is the best choice with Orr still injured. He is under one of the best bowling coaches in English cricket. He will know when Turner is ready.

3 hours ago, Weston Saint said:

I will try to talk to Aidi the coach next week. He was in the squad but despite the bowling attack aging you have to go with your best team and the present 11 is the best choice with Orr still injured. He is under one of the best bowling coaches in English cricket. He will know when Turner is ready.

Would be interesting to get a view, I’m hoping they are being ultra cautious.

Edging towards 300 now after a little bit of a mid-innings wobble. I think I largely agree with the team, Turner is off form and I don't think piling more County games into him is necessarily the best idea. As Weston says, we've got BAA so we might as well use them this season.

28 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Dawson drops 2, luckily the first didn't cost us anything as Barker bowled the batsman a couple of balls later.

Not at all good, doesn't bode well, the bloke he dropped is now going along nicely. Plus Fuller is bowling some absolute rubbish.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

We’re going to get five wickets and let them off again, aren’t we.

That simple dropped catch is already expensive.  Our bowling looks absolutely toothless.  Turner could not have done any worse than Abbas.