Hampshire CCC 2024

Picard

20 hours ago, wadesmith said:

60/40 in Notts favour Imo Don’t fancy batting last on this. Lead of over 215 & we’re done I reckon.

Let’s hope my theory is correct! Taking spin, keeping low & Prest injured...should just sneak it! 😊 

56 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

41/4. Christ, we are actually going to lose this aren’t we.

Probably...44/5, but 'recovered' to 84/5 at the close, halfway there but everything looks like it hangs on Fuller keeping Fletcha Middleton company tomorrow..

19 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Probably...44/5, but 'recovered' to 84/5 at the close, halfway there but everything looks like it hangs on Fuller keeping Fletcha Middleton company tomorrow..

Didn’t James Fuller keep Fletcha company too making 77* with Fletcha 59*.

Could be a huge win come September to keep away from the bottom of the table.

Not quite sure what happened with the Notts bowling this morning, but the last few overs were pretty wild. 21 runs off a single over, and the winning runs scored off an absolute pie fired down the leg side and flicked to the very-fine-leg boundary.

5 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Very important win.  Need a couple more to drag us away from the bottom teams

Could be a lot of those this year.

It's looking like Surrey to run away with the title, Essex and Somerset as also-rans to take up the next two places below them, and then everyone else fighting to avoid relegation?

There is a picture on the BBC from New Road Worcester where they are trying to deal with a damp patch on the outfield by digging squares out of the turf and drying them under heat lamps.

Amazing how it seems any team can just have an innings of utter incompetence, even a side as strong as Surrey. Meanwhile we've gone past 200 for the loss of only one wicket, and there was even a little bit of luck (and an excellent catch) involved in that!

58 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

100 for Toby Albert..

And Gubbins. Vince in at 4 already ha 29 off 20. I’m guessing we’re now pushing the rate with a view to putting them back in tomorrow morning.

Organ is a bit of an enigma. His role was to be a batsmen who bowls a bit.  He’s now taken 55 wickets at an average of 25. In my life as a Hampshire fan I don’t think any of our spinners have achieved an average that low for their first 50 wickets. Cowley,Maru,Udal,Briggs,Crane ..I think even Warney averaged around 26. I’m starting to wonder if he’s going to become a front line spinner?

26 minutes ago, wadesmith said:

Organ is a bit of an enigma. His role was to be a batsmen who bowls a bit.  He’s now taken 55 wickets at an average of 25. In my life as a Hampshire fan I don’t think any of our spinners have achieved an average that low for their first 50 wickets. Cowley,Maru,Udal,Briggs,Crane ..I think even Warney averaged around 26. I’m starting to wonder if he’s going to become a front line spinner?

They said on the commentary that he has the best strike rate of any Hants spinner for decades.

37 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

They said on the commentary that he has the best strike rate of any Hants spinner for decades.

Yes that’s interesting. Based on his batting the club would probably be looking to release him at some point, but he’s fast becoming a crucial member of the team. He’s in an interesting position.

On 26/05/2024 at 20:38, wadesmith said:

My favourite 

23 minutes ago, Picard said:

My favourite 

Yeah, that’s not bad!, he got a few to rip. Everyone says playing in May & September means England won’t be able to produce spinners..he’s proving them wrong. I really hope he’s not just on a hot streak, but he’s always taken wickets when they’ve thrown him on for the last three years. It’s interesting.

The 13 man squad for the first game of the blast has been released, I'm guessing Jack and Gubbo will be the two left out and we'll go something like:

McD, Vince, Orr, Albert, Weatherley, Daws, Fuller, Howell, Neser, Turner, Wood.

14 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

A lot of promising signs in that game but ultimately we lost it in the first five overs. You can’t chew up 1/4 of your deliveries and be 23/3.

Up to a point but three of our bowlers were way too expensive.  Why do we persist with Wood? Never really understood this. Doesn't get many wickets and inevitably gets tonked, Howells looks like a poor acquisition, bowls rubbish and doesn't score many.

4 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

Up to a point but three of our bowlers were way too expensive.  Why do we persist with Wood? Never really understood this. Doesn't get many wickets and inevitably gets tonked, Howells looks like a poor acquisition, bowls rubbish and doesn't score many.

Wood was poor last season too, I’d like to hope young Eddie Jack is being seen as a replacement in the not too distant future. Good to see Turner back in action, he bowled an absolute cracker to dismiss Roy.

In other news, Orr has apparently broken his arm, so it would seem we’re going to need Gubbo for the rest of the Blast at least.

22 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Wood was poor last season too, I’d like to hope young Eddie Jack is being seen as a replacement in the not too distant future. Good to see Turner back in action, he bowled an absolute cracker to dismiss Roy.

In other news, Orr has apparently broken his arm, so it would seem we’re going to need Gubbo for the rest of the Blast at least.

Turner looked good and has bulked up a bit by the look of things.

23 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Domestic accident, hope it's not like Bazza, who reputedly fell down the stairs running away from an angry husband.   Just folklore perhaps that though.

38 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Heading for a big loss again though.  Can't score quickly enough against tight bowling.

Our bowling, in it's totality, is nowhere near good enough

Oops, some serious slogging and we're back in it.

We’re a funny side, we rarely go after the power play at a time when most do. It really is rare for Hampshire to be ahead after 6 overs. What’s odd about that is we actually have 2 players who like to score fast opening so it must be tactical. With our record it must work for us but seems very odd tactics especially with our depth of batting. We pretty much rely on one of our 5-8s to up the scoring rate at the back end of the innings. Fuller today, Dawson on Thu.

Also extremely slow starters so good we have a win already. Concerned Gubbins is anywhere near a 20/20 1st team…

21 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

We’re a funny side, we rarely go after the power play at a time when most do. It really is rare for Hampshire to be ahead after 6 overs. What’s odd about that is we actually have 2 players who like to score fast opening so it must be tactical. With our record it must work for us but seems very odd tactics especially with our depth of batting. We pretty much rely on one of our 5-8s to up the scoring rate at the back end of the innings. Fuller today, Dawson on Thu.

Also extremely slow starters so good we have a win already. Concerned Gubbins is anywhere near a 20/20 1st team…

Indeed, Gubbins looked like a fish out of water for the 3 balls that he faced. Surely one of the young players must be a better fit to deputise for Orr.

Can't remember how long Gubbins has been with us exactly but the fact that he's only played two T20s in all that time is sort of a giveaway. 

We nearly lost that on a fair play decision 😆

What a game though, I thought we’d never do it when we were just knocking singles in those middle overs. Obviously playing Gubbo was a necessity but I can’t see Organ really doing a lot more in a T20. Good to see Wood having a decent game for a change, some very suspect bowling from Turner and Neser at the start though.

We looked like a level up for most of that match. Still really poor in the power play, I still think if we are to win this we need a better game plan for that, at the moment we seem to score slowly and lose wickets.

Great bowling and Albert is giving us something different.