Ross Stewart

InvictaSaint

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Could be in the team next week, if not, then almost certainly the week after according to Martin.

If that was the interview with RM before the match he was talking about Adams time line after he picked up a minor injury, I think.

4 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

The trouble is now we have a settled starting like up, to accommodate Stewart someone will have to get dropped, I can’t see it being Arma or smallbone as russ loves both .. most likely to be stuey make way I think and that’s pretty harsh as he’s playing very well at the moment 

It’ll be Charley / (Che) surely. 

12 hours ago, SW11_Saint said:

I dont think it will be anyone for weeks, even months. I think if everyone stays fit and we carry on getting results Martin will use him off the bench for at least his first 10 games back.  This guy has been out for nearly a year, he's not doing 70-90 minutes anytime soon.

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

I dont think it will be anyone for weeks, even months. I think if everyone stays fit and we carry on getting results Martin will use him off the bench for at least his first 10 games back.  This guy has been out for nearly a year, he's not doing 70-90 minutes anytime soon.

Our new David Connolly.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

The trouble is now we have a settled starting like up, to accommodate Stewart someone will have to get dropped, I can’t see it being Arma or smallbone as russ loves both .. most likely to be stuey make way I think and that’s pretty harsh as he’s playing very well at the moment 

No one will have to drop out, he will be on the bench to start with. Hopefully a sort of super sub….

15 hours ago, SW11_Saint said:

Alcaraz probably the next most likely after stuey for me ..Adams isn’t really first choice 11 anymore.

Like others suggest whilst we are winning maybe ross will just be introduced off the bench initially.

but I just think maybe the club will see higher ceiling in Alcaraz over stuey especially with the Argentina call up .. stuey is playing better this season though

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Alcaraz probably the next most likely after stuey for me ..Adams isn’t really first choice 11 anymore.

Like others suggest whilst we are winning maybe ross will just be introduced off the bench initially.

but I just think maybe the club will see higher ceiling in Alcaraz over stuey especially with the Argentina call up .. stuey is playing better this season though

I'd be shocked if it was S.Armstrong. His movement off the ball yesterday was outstanding and quite rightly Martin rates him highly. Overall he gives us more than Alcaraz and if anyone does drop out, I'm sure it would be him. We can't think about ceilings, we need the here and now.

• Like 2

I didn't think it would be Stu. But a quick look at lineups, and yeah I can see that. If Stewart is getting a run in the team, then Stu/ Alcaraz would seem the ones to drop. However, with the number of games, suspensions etc, I think it will be a mix of players all shuffling around to compensate for absentees. In the end, I think everyone will be getting plenty of minutes.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I didn't think it would be Stu. But a quick look at lineups, and yeah I can see that. If Stewart is getting a run in the team, then Stu/ Alcaraz would seem the ones to drop. However, with the number of games, suspensions etc, I think it will be a mix of players all shuffling around to compensate for absentees. In the end, I think everyone will be getting plenty of minutes.

Yep. Seems unlikely we will have everyone fully fit and unsuspended all at once for extended periods of time. 

This will be another test for RM because to date we do not play with a conventional #9. 

Points to note:

1. Charlie has been tasked as a false 9 by RM himself. 

2. AA started season as our punta but this rapidly changed to his current position- which I’m hard pressed to describe except it suits his skill set better than any other position he’s played to date for us. But it’s not standard #9. 

3. RM made a great play of how we were NOT going to pass the ball blind into the channels for a CF to run onto in the direction of the corner flag. Neither are we going to go long to win second balls off a big guy up top. 
4. The biggest clue is how he plays Che when he’s on. 

Which all suggests to me that RS will have to adapt more himself to the system rather than the system being overly adapted for him. Of course there will be tweaks but I suspect RS has got to show high technical skills in addition to his physicality. Essentially he needs to be a more lethal Che Adams - because that’s the role im expecting him to take up. 

typical line up

Gav 

KWP Jan THB Bree (or Ryan) 

Will Flynn (or Shea)

AA Charlie (or Stu) 

RS KS (or Sam)

The fact that we do have good strength in depth for each position on the pitch is something vastly underrated vis the other championship teams. It “ should” be worth points for us latter part of season. 

Edited by gio1saints

49 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yep. Seems unlikely we will have everyone fully fit and unsuspended all at once for extended periods of time. 

It's another plus in having Bree come in and do well, and have Edozie begin to feature once again, and get back to his development. SAA back on the bench, will hopefully get him some minutes too, shortly.

I had heard in passing that Ipswich have some strength in depth as well this season. Either way, getting the best out of a squad will be important, and should hopefully favour those with bigger ones that got relegated.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

It's another plus in having Bree come in and do well, and have Edozie begin to feature once again, and get back to his development. SAA back on the bench, will hopefully get him some minutes too, shortly.

I had heard in passing that Ipswich have some strength in depth as well this season. Either way, getting the best out of a squad will be important, and should hopefully favour those with bigger ones that got relegated.

Yes plus it means we can refresh the squad without being overly reliant on Holgate, Charles, Adams and Aribo who I don't feel are really up to it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 29/10/2023 at 09:59, saintant said:

I reckon we might see Ross on the bench after the next international break. If not I'll start to worry.

Yes. Just hope when he comes in he stays fit. 

The pessimism of following Saints for 50plus years: 

Have a fear he’ll be eased back in mid-Nov onwards, start playing regularly then has a reoccurring injury late January with little or no time to bring anyone else in. 

• Sad 1

Imagine we will try to get a fee for Adams in January so good to get RS up to speed by then.

Also end of December Ipswich and Leeds both have much tougher games than us on paper so good to have all the options we possibly can around then due to the tight (ridiculous) schedule.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Everything in terms of team selection screams of Adams going in January, so fully expect Ross to be involved in games by end October.

Guess you meant November/December, but Stewart bears all the hallmarks of a Jay Rodriguez. Jay was never the same after his injury and the crystal ball is saying Stewart will start by playing sub for a few games then get injured again.

I'm more annoyed with SR paying a relative fortune for someone who is crocked. Being too clever for their own good. Surely the scouts could have identified a couple of lower league players who have ability and the physiology to be trained up to the fitness required in the Championship and Premiership. Sell Che in January and there's still time to find them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If RS does not return to his former fitness between now and Jan ( and we all heartily wish him to do so) then it’s unlikely we would release Che without replacing. Mara is too much of a risk imo though if Charlie is flourishing as a false 9 and we are flying who knows? 

There is a scenario in which Che leaves ( a nominal fee£5m?) despite RS not regaining fitness then Saints lob £10m at bringing in another ready made and not injured in form striker.

But they would not be a top level unless a second or third choice at  epl or la liga - but in which case they are not playing and scoring every week - so I tend to think it would be a player type like like Shankland, for example,given the Scottish connection seems to be getting ever stronger. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Guess you meant November/December, but Stewart bears all the hallmarks of a Jay Rodriguez. Jay was never the same after his injury and the crystal ball is saying Stewart will start by playing sub for a few games then get injured again.

I'm more annoyed with SR paying a relative fortune for someone who is crocked. Being too clever for their own good. Surely the scouts could have identified a couple of lower league players who have ability and the physiology to be trained up to the fitness required in the Championship and Premiership. Sell Che in January and there's still time to find them.

I love that you’ve got annoyed at SR for a scenario you’ve made up in your head / imaginary crystal ball.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

At 34, J Rod is actually still a Premier League player and had a big part in a goal on Saturday. I hope Stewart has something special and that we're going to see it. I think there's a decent chance of that, and I'll take that.

49 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Just seen Stephens back in light training and videos of him kicking the ball. We’ve not even seen anything like this with Ross yet. Is that a sign that he’s not actually close to being available?

Where have you seen the Stephens video? Link. I've just looked on the Club site and YouTube channel but I can't see it, maybe its just me not looking properly.

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Just seen Stephens back in light training and videos of him kicking the ball. We’ve not even seen anything like this with Ross yet. Is that a sign that he’s not actually close to being available?

My gut feel has always been that we won't see him in action this year. Nothing I've seen or heard in recent times has changed my hunch. In true Saintsweb style though, I hope I'm proven wrong :)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Maybe at a press conference soon we could have a question asked on Stewart's progress..??  Would be more interesting than discussing the relationship between the manager and a minority of the fan base.

Am pretty sure Martin last week specifically said he will be available either away at Millwall or West Brom.

Let me find the quote

"He told the Daily Echo: “He’s really close. If it’s not next week, hopefully, it will be the West Brom game.”

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23886388.concrete-return-date-finally-set-ross-stewart-return/

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

"Relative fortune", a player like Stewart without any injury problems would have been out of our price range. I would expect the only reason we were able to get him at all is because he was injured - SR have gambled.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

"Relative fortune", a player like Stewart without any injury problems would have been out of our price range. I would expect the only reason we were able to get him at all is because he was injured - SR have gambled.

Think we paid about £10m. That's quite a gamble. Given we forked out £22m for Sulemana, a fully fit Stewart would probably still have been in our price range. Problem is, now SR have spent that money, I can't see them buying another striker until Che goes. 

Just now, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Think we paid about £10m. That's quite a gamble. Given we forked out £22m for Sulemana, a fully fit Stewart would probably still have been in our price range. Problem is, now SR have spent that money, I can't see them buying another striker until Che goes. 

We forked out £22m for Sulemana whilst in the Prem. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Exactly this. And I would think that without wanting to over rush his return, they will be very keen to see if he’s able to perform in a Russball team well before Che gets sold in January.

8 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Feel pretty relaxed about the Stewart situation at the moment.. we are playing well and winning most games.. at the moment it’s harsh to drop anyone to accommodate him.. in a way it’s set up perfectly to ease him in slowly and not be pressured into trying to rush him back .

We scored 2 at Preston, one was a piece of skill from KWP, one was Bazza assisted. Our attackers in that game were dismal, so I'm not "relaxed" about it at all?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

We scored 2 at Preston, one was a piece of skill from KWP, one was Bazza assisted. Our attackers in that game were dismal, so I'm not "relaxed" about it at all?

We have taken 14 points out of a possible 18 in the last 6 games.. can’t really argue with that form.

Also the Preston game we rested sulamana, Alcaraz stuey etc ..I think the line up with those in deserves to continue after such a good run of form don’t you ?

no need to rush Ross back in that form 

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind him getting a sub appearance against Milwall but I'd love him to start against WBA at home, with the roar of the crowd when his name is announced really spurring him on to do well! I'd love to be there except I've been give a stupid fucking late turn at work ffs

2 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I wouldn't mind him getting a sub appearance against Milwall but I'd love him to start against WBA at home, with the roar of the crowd when his name is announced really spurring him on to do well! I'd love to be there except I've been give a stupid fucking late turn at work ffs

He is definitely not going to go from no football for 10/11 months to suddenly starting a game.

Personally expect he will either be an unused or very late sub vs WBA or will feature on the bench after the next Intl break.

Looks like Adams is back training so really no point rushing Stewart, there will be plenty of games for him to make a big impact this season.

If Ross Stewart is fit and playing in the team before the end of January I think we will sell Che Adams in the transfer window  - he's not going to sign a new contract with us - and maybe Mara (it looks to me like we are trying talking up his value at the moment) as well and replace the two of them with one new striker.  My money would be on one of the two strikers from Aberdeen - Lopes or Mioviski. 

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

If Ross Stewart is fit and playing in the team before the end of January I think we will sell Che Adams in the transfer window  - he's not going to sign a new contract with us - and maybe Mara (it looks to me like we are trying talking up his value at the moment) as well and replace the two of them with one new striker.  My money would be on one of the two strikers from Aberdeen - Lopes or Mioviski. 

Once Stewart is up and running I don't think we will go for a nrw striker even if Adams goes.

Stewart, Armstrong, Mara, Alcaraz seems fine as options for essentially one position, anyone else would barely feature.

• Like 1