Ross Stewart

InvictaSaint

18 minutes ago, saintant said:

Is he on the grass yet? And by grass I don't mean the fairways and greens of a local golf course I mean the pitches at Stableford. We've been continually told for ages that he is two weeks away so I'm assuming he's training with those not on international duty. I certainly hope so because I genuinely think the guy deserves a bit of good fortune as he's been through what must have been tough times. He's untried at the highest level but I have a feeling that a fit and firing Ross Stewart would not look out of place in the Premier League if and when he gets some playing time under his belt. Good luck to him.

One assumes the club's media team are champing at the bit to publish the photos of him training this week... That said, given it's almost the end of the week, with very little training footage released so far, one assumes they're waiting for the photos to arrive in the post from TruPrint...? ;)

FB_IMG_1725523761006.jpg

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

One assumes the club's media team are champing at the bit to publish the photos of him training this week... That said, given it's almost the end of the week, with very little training footage released so far, one assumes they're waiting for the photos to arrive in the post from TruPrint...? ;)

FB_IMG_1725523761006.jpg

Will they know who he is?

On 28/08/2024 at 12:04, Bad Wolf said:

Have I missed something here? Stewart played the last few games of the season (looked pretty good too) but now is back coming back from injury again? Did he have ANOTHER injury over the summer?

That is not true. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story, eh. 

This genuinely has to go down as one of the dumbest signings of all time, by any club. 

Imagine spunking so much money on a player that was obviously never going to play. Could only be saints. 

Just wish we’d get an honest update for once. It’s almost like they know we will all be pissed off at the lack of striker so they don’t want to share any news 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

You're right. He didn't really look good at all. 

Not having that.

I was at the Hawthorns for the 1st leg of the playoff semi, and when he came on I thought he looked lively and brought some much needed dynamism to our attack. Was unlucky not to score as well. 

However, whether or not he can do it in the PL is another question entirely.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Not having that.

I was at the Hawthorns for the 1st leg of the playoff semi, and when he came on I thought he looked lively and brought some much needed dynamism to our attack. Was unlucky not to score as well. 

However, whether or not he can do it in the PL is another question entirely.

Agree, looked promising on that showing. But in keeping with the previous nine months or so, that was the last we saw of him. 

12 hours ago, trousers said:

FB_IMG_1725523761006.jpg

Photos are back...

_107971291_nessie.jpg

bigfoot1.JPG

yeti.jpg

• Haha 4

On 05/09/2024 at 09:10, trousers said:

FB_IMG_1725523761006.jpg

Yes.....someday their prints will come......

• Haha 2

I remember J-Rod being known to be good at the level below, coming up, proving himself and then being injured for a long time. Took a long time to return and now his level is probably the league below and from what I can see he's a better player than Stewart.

We don't know if RS could do it consistently and well at the level before, he's middle-aged in terms of his football career and he'll have a bit to contend with to come back, let alone be effective at this level if he can be. 

I wouldn't be surprised if someone wasn't arguing that he won't make it back as a footballer so let's look to get an injury pay-out whereas others are arguing that he can make it back but the fact (assumed, but obviously unknowable) that he isn't going to cut it in this league is neither here nor there.

10 minutes ago, BarberSaint said:

I remember J-Rod being known to be good at the level below, coming up, proving himself and then being injured for a long time. Took a long time to return and now his level is probably the league below and from what I can see he's a better player than Stewart.

We don't know if RS could do it consistently and well at the level before, he's middle-aged in terms of his football career and he'll have a bit to contend with to come back, let alone be effective at this level if he can be. 

I wouldn't be surprised if someone wasn't arguing that he won't make it back as a footballer so let's look to get an injury pay-out whereas others are arguing that he can make it back but the fact (assumed, but obviously unknowable) that he isn't going to cut it in this league is neither here nor there.

J-rod was tragic. He was just getting great, attracting interest from England and would have been a top player. His injury came at the worst possible time. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

J-rod was tragic. He was just getting great, attracting interest from England and would have been a top player. His injury came at the worst possible time. 

yes very unlucky,did it at man city with an awkward landing.

7 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Without it I think there’s a reasonable chance he’d have followed Poch to Spurs and we might have got a young Harry Kane as part of the deal.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sledger said:

yes very unlucky,did it at man city with an awkward landing.

It wasn't even that. Happened while he was in mid air with his leg at full extension trying to reach the ball. He was already in extreme pain before he hit the ground.

Horrible injury. He was a real rising star when it happened. I remember watching him make his return and he looked like he was running through treacle. I think everyone knew at that point that he was never going to be the same player. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Without it I think there’s a reasonable chance he’d have followed Poch to Spurs and we might have got a young Harry Kane as part of the deal.

I think you're probably right, there were some strong links to suggest as much if I remember rightly. Although, whilst that sounds like a 'what could have been' - we done pretty well in the end when we replaced JRod with Mane and Lambert with Pelle. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It wasn't even that. Happened while he was in mid air with his leg at full extension trying to reach the ball. He was already in extreme pain before he hit the ground.

Horrible injury. He was a real rising star when it happened. I remember watching him make his return and he looked like he was running through treacle. I think everyone knew at that point that he was never going to be the same player. 

The same game we conceded the most absurd offside goal in the history of football, IIRC.

• Like 1

Anyone else think it a bit odd that the club have posted very little training footage during this international break? We usually get regular training ground updates to fill the void but not this time it would seem. Wasn't sure where to post this observation but maybe it has something to do with keeping a lid on Stewart's fitness (be it good or bad news)? Verging on conspiracy theory territory, I know, but just pondering why we haven't been getting the usual dose of training coverage during this break. 

Edited by trousers

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

Anyone else think it a bit odd that the club have posted very little training footage during this international break? We usually get regular training ground updates to fill the void but not this time it would seem. Not sure where to post this observation but maybe it has something to do with keeping a lid on Stewart's fitness (be it good or bad news)? Birding on conspiracy theory territory, I know, but just pondering why we haven't been getting the usual dose of training coverage during this break. 

Lulling United into a false sense of security. We will spring the surprise of the century when releasing the team sheet and show the Loch Ness Drogba playing up top.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, trousers said:

Anyone else think it a bit odd that the club have posted very little training footage during this international break? We usually get regular training ground updates to fill the void but not this time it would seem. Wasn't sure where to post this observation but maybe it has something to do with keeping a lid on Stewart's fitness (be it good or bad news)? Verging on conspiracy theory territory, I know, but just pondering why we haven't been getting the usual dose of training coverage during this break. 

It's a cunning plan to confuse the opposition. We'll confuse them by playing it out from the back and ignore the oft-quoted definition of insanity.

Does RS have an instagram thing that someone could follow? I assume a lot of that would be censored by the club anyway.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Russ and the players have probably had the week off.

1 hour ago, BarberSaint said:

It's a cunning plan to confuse the opposition. We'll confuse them by playing it out from the back and ignore the oft-quoted definition of insanity.

Does RS have an instagram thing that someone could follow? I assume a lot of that would be censored by the club anyway.

I have it on good authority that Ross Stewart’s instagram account will be active in 2 weeks.

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

The same game we conceded the most absurd offside goal in the history of football, IIRC.

Was that the one where Michael Owen was on co-comms and tried to argue that it shouldn’t be given offside, proving that he didn’t have even the most basic understanding of what offside was? 

Edited by Midfield_General

6 hours ago, saintant said:

Russ and the players have probably had the week off.

A mere 3 games into a new season? You sure about that...? Surely after 3 defeats we'd have been spending every minute on the training field getting things right rather than sunbathing on a Mediterranean beach somewhere...?

1 hour ago, trousers said:

A mere 3 games into a new season? You sure about that...? Surely after 3 defeats we'd have been spending every minute on the training field getting things right rather than sunbathing on a Mediterranean beach somewhere...?

I was half joking and I sincerely hope the last week has been well spent on the training ground and tactician board because there's much to learn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

Checks thread title.... yep, Ross Stewart.  Seems like beyond the hilarious "2 weeks..." gag there's not much else to say on this topic.

Ah! You've made the mistake of not leaving it 336 hours before checking the thread again.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

Checks thread title.... yep, Ross Stewart.  Seems like beyond the hilarious "2 weeks..." gag there's not much else to say on this topic.

I'm sure Russ won't perpetual said "gag" when asked for an update on Stewart at this week's pre-match press conference.... ;)

13 hours ago, trousers said:

Why?
Training regime... go and stand 5 yards away, me to you to me to you, lose ball.

Okay, slightly simplified but you get the drift.

• Haha 1